Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

The King of Swag posted:

I actually don't see how it's that much different for nomadic characters, as you already need to pack up and take your tools with you already. The only fundamental difference for a nomadic character is that if you want to craft more complex items on the road, you'll need to find a bench*/build one and convert it to the type of bench you need. Of course, I don't know of many people who keep nomadic characters without some sort of death-mobile, in which case you'd never really do without, as you'd just have all your needed benches installed in your vehicle.

* I'm just using a bench as a catch-all term, as there's no reason that the needed work-area can't be a forge or a large machine-tool.
If the crafting stations are mobile or at least easily portable then fine, but me, I personally get bored really easily if I have to stay in the same general area for too long. Right now, nomadic characters really have no downsides over sedentary characters, which is something I really like. I don't want that to change too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

I've placed a steel jerrycan beneath a funnel when it was raining and left it quite a while, but it only filled up a single portion. Am I doing something wrong? How long do you typically need to leave it?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Doug Lombardi posted:

Is there any penalty for eating human flesh? It doesn't seem like there should be, since the only source of human flesh is my old characters.

It gives you an extreme morale penalty, and there are lots of bodies scattered around the wasteland.

deptstoremook
Jan 12, 2004
my mom got scared and said "you're moving with your Aunt and Uncle in Bel-Air!"

Penguingo posted:

Give it a couple days and you'll kick that meth habit. Same with alcoholism, heroin addiction, or sleeping pill dependency.

Winners use all drugs all the time.

No, it's alright, I was just riffing on the idea that my character took meth literally once and was thrown into full psychological addiction/withdrawal after 2 hours, just like in one of those DARE lessons about how if you even see marijuana the very next day you'll be on the street broke and desperate.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

PiCroft posted:

I've placed a steel jerrycan beneath a funnel when it was raining and left it quite a while, but it only filled up a single portion. Am I doing something wrong? How long do you typically need to leave it?

Were you standing next to it skipping turns/using wait or did you run off and do something else. Because if you went off elsewhere the area would unload and get 'frozen' until you come back so it wouldn't add anything.

They typically fill up at an average pace, I never paid that much attention to them but during a rain mine do slowly fill and I can get a few drinks out of them.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
Funnels fill up faster if you don't use the extended wait, sleep, read, craft, or any other fast forward activities I've forgotten about. Also, if you were using a makeshift funnel you'll almost never get anything out of it. Makeshift funnels are around 5% as effective as real funnels in cataclysm.

One real funnel, with good luck, can keep you supplied with water. Two or more funnels and you'll be able to collect as much water as you can store. After raiding a school chemistry lab I've been using 5 funnels and pulled in around 100 units of water in the last big storm.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

OwlFancier posted:

It gives you an extreme morale penalty, and there are lots of bodies scattered around the wasteland.
Yeah, but all those bodies are rotten already.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

I think I was hanging around my home base around which had my funnels set up outside. Not too sure if I skipped time but I don't think I did.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

TheBlandName posted:

Makeshift funnels are around 5% as effective as real funnels in cataclysm.
Man, I noticed that they were less effective, but I didn't realize the scope of it. That's nuts - a funnel is a pretty drat simple device.

edit: Checked the code, and yeah - the regular funnel is almost exactly 20 times as fast at collecting water. That's a little bit ridiculous.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 29, 2013

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

They are? Huh, I guess I've never butchered one but I figured that they'd only be rotten if you hadn't recently spawned them in by visiting that area for the first time.

I guess it's designed for when NPCs are in.

Strudel Man posted:

Man, I noticed that they were less effective, but I didn't realize the scope of it. That's nuts - a funnel is a pretty drat simple device.

A makeshift one made with crude tools and some tape is probably also a simple and rather useless device. Though happily you can make lots of them.

The ability to make a proper funnel with better tools would be nice though.

It'd also be real nice if you could stick them on vehicles so you could just take water in and out of the vehicle's tank rather than having to keep fiddling with DO YOU WANT TO DISARM THE FUNNEL Y/N and moving the water around with unloading.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 29, 2013

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
A funnel created by lopping off the bottom half of a plastic bottle and placing the top half upside down would be roughly as useful as a professionally made funnel at collecting rain water, that is, not very much.

Any open container should be able to retain rain water really, a pot is a much better tool for catching some rain water than a funnel.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005
The bigger issue is that it makes getting acid super difficult.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Doug Lombardi posted:

The bigger issue is that it makes getting acid super difficult.

It does?

Can't you just take a jerrycan of water outside, stick it under a funnel in acid rain, and turn the whole thing into weak acid water?

Acid rain contaminates existing batches of water, but it doesn't work the other way around, I think.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

A makeshift one made with crude tools and some tape is probably also a simple and rather useless device. Though happily you can make lots of them.
Not really, though? I mean, as implemented, it's only less effective because it's four and a half times smaller for little readily apparent reason.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

On all builds I've ever played, from Whales to the current experimental human bodies are like normal meat and not rotten after butchering. They're spawned dynamically as you move around so they only start existing when you discover them.

For our purposes they're brand new but I'm sure it'll get changed eventually.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Strumpie posted:

On all builds I've ever played, from Whales to the current experimental human bodies are like normal meat and not rotten after butchering. They're spawned dynamically as you move around so they only start existing when you discover them.

For our purposes they're brand new but I'm sure it'll get changed eventually.
Huh. It's been a while since I bothered to butcher any of the dead human bodies that I've found, but I could have sworn that I've done so in labs, for example, and found the meat already rotten.

I guess it's possible that it generated the bodies the first time I discovered the lab, and then when I actually went in, enough time had passed since their generation that they were rotten...

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I've never gotten fresh meat out of a human corpse, unless it was alive and breathing moments before I mowed them down with a gun/vehicle/convenient horde of zombies. NPCs were great back when ammo was plentiful and firearms were hugely powerful, plant a .233 between the eyes and come out with sometimes surprising loot. Once I picked up a "nearby fire" that weighed nothing, could be safely picked up and essentially acted like a, well, nearby fire in all aspects. Though I scummed huge amounts of CBMs in that world thanks to the vehicle trunk duplication bug and didn't really need it.

I haven't really been checking out updates, I'm kind of hoping someone will finish a build where a lot of the conveniences and additions are 'stable' but from the sound of it this is probably never going to happen anytime soon.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

nftyw posted:

I've never gotten fresh meat out of a human corpse, unless it was alive and breathing moments before I mowed them down with a gun/vehicle/convenient horde of zombies.

Butchering a 'Human Corpse' drops several 'Chunk of meat' without the (Fresh) tag that animals get. I haven't checked it but I assume it will be on the same 24 hour spoil timer as regular butchered meat.

nftyw posted:

I'm kind of hoping someone will finish a build where a lot of the conveniences and additions are 'stable' but from the sound of it this is probably never going to happen anytime soon.

What's not stable about current Cataclysm? The only major issue that Romero had was the Shrub>Vehicle bug but that's sorted in the current experimental version. The DDA team have been doing a pretty good job of getting things working as intended.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Just sounds like mechanics are going nuts. Archery was awesome, then it sucks, now it's okay again, and now it's broken, guns went from plenty of ammo and very effective to pretty good but ammo rarely drops.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, if you want to use guns effectively right now you really need to raid at least one or two towns for ammunition and then find yourself some reloading tools, otherwise you'll just run out. It's not too bad if you enjoy the survivalism aspect of it, honestly, you're just scrounging a bit more than you used to. Now that we've got a setting for city size and monster spawn rate there really ought to be an item spawn rate setting too, though.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

nftyw posted:

Just sounds like mechanics are going nuts. Archery was awesome, then it sucks, now it's okay again, and now it's broken, guns went from plenty of ammo and very effective to pretty good but ammo rarely drops.

How is archery broken? It seems to do just fine for me.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

nftyw posted:

I might be wrong, but I think that's called balance.

They're regularly adjusting values on weapons/spawns/crafting to try and create a very varied and also viable amount of combat play styles and overall it's currently better than it has ever been imo. It will always need fine tuning as with any game but it's perfectly workable right now no matter what you want to do but some are harder than others.

Another thing they seem to be working on is creating a much longer and robust progression of weapons as you gain different skills/materials to craft new weapons. (0.8 introduced Pneumatic weapons, a sort of mid tier craft for example) It seems to be working since you're largely guided by what materials you have, what you can find and where you can reliably search buildings for materials. No matter what kind of current situation you're in they're giving players at least something they can aim for or use even if they can't yet find/craft what they want.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

nftyw posted:

Amusingly, I read that as 'the mechanics skill is nuts' which I kinda am wondering if it might be, given the pneumatic guns which look absolutely terrifying from their stats.

If you can mod them, god help us all.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
To be honest it was kind of interesting to find use for the nail gun, especially when they added nails falling out of busted furniture. Burning down a house meant piles of ammo for the thing.

Gun mods, that was definitely something I really enjoyed fiddling with. Making a 1911 that shot 9mm bumped the kinda piddly caliber do much more substantial damage thanks to the pistol's hefty damage boost.

deptstoremook
Jan 12, 2004
my mom got scared and said "you're moving with your Aunt and Uncle in Bel-Air!"
So I'm building a cabin in the woods, really going the "from scratch" / "Zombie Unreal World" route this time around. I wish I could build an underground storage space, but of course there's no way to build stairs. I added in a stairs down tile with the map editor, thinking it might make a 1x1 room with a stairs up, but no dice.

My first thought now is to go down 1 Z-level (Science Lab is probably easiest) and scroll over to the cabin, clear out a space, put a stairs up, and do a stairs down where the cabin is. Is there an easier way? Thanks!

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
So, I just used a Granade and something strange happened.

I assumed the Granade was simply the stupid name joke version of a grenade just like the Jaqueshammer being identical to a Jackhammer but it seems I was horribly mistaken. When activated and thrown just like a grenade instead of an explosion there was a green shockwave, about 3 times the size of a grenade explosion that enveloped me even after throwing and running. The dialogue said 'From the south you hear BUFFS' and instead of exploding I appear to have gained a permanent +2 Strength +2 Dexterity +1 Intelligence and +2 Perception.

This also happened at an extremely inopportune time as I was throwing it at a Zombie Hulk that was about to smash my face in. So instead of it exploding I think I sped it up, I'm not exactly sure what occurred but I was victorious after dodging his attacks about 8 times per round of combat and beating him to death with a Pneumatic Crossbow. :black101:

Anyone know if the Granade is supposed to do that or did I get a magic one.

Strumpie fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 1, 2013

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Strumpie posted:

Anyone know if the Granade is supposed to do that or did I get a magic one.
"Attached to this grenade is a name tag with the name Kevin written on it."
Kevin Granade is a dev.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

It also has a 25% chance of instantly killing insects (because haha Kevin kills bugs). So, yeah, not designed to be used the same way in the slightest.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The Jacques hammer is also different than the jackhammer. It can go through anything.

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
How do I get rebar for the jackhammer crafting recipe? The only way I know is to already have a loving jackhammer and take down underground walls. Will burnt down buildings produce rebar? Or car collisions with buildings?

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Corsec posted:

How do I get rebar for the jackhammer crafting recipe? The only way I know is to already have a loving jackhammer and take down underground walls. Will burnt down buildings produce rebar? Or car collisions with buildings?

Yup, demolishing a building will get you some rebar.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
I'm still unclear as to what the Granade is though, do you just throw them at yourself for a buff, is that it?

Also good to know about the Jaqueshammer Killer-of-Lawyers, such a fountain of knowledge. :allears:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
The balance on archery still feels rather off. Like, it's considerably easier to kill a deer with just a rock and throwing skill 1 than it is with a shortbow, archery 2, and field point arrows.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
That's because a rock is better at killing a deer than a bunch of non-fletched arrows. Throwing spears and such should be more viable early on until you get access to fletched arrows some way.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
I generally near the start attract a bunch of zombies and light a house on fire. That's how I get a ton of nails/rebar ect about 3/4 days later when it stops being on fire. Works pretty well.

How do all these charcoal devices work by the way, I have a charcoal kiln but there doesn't seem to be a obvious way to shove wood in it and make some. I am notoriously blind though.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
There really needs to be a way to split up item stacks, like ammo or jerky. I spent the entire winter making charcoal and now I can't use any of it because I dropped it all on the same square and the resulting stack is too heavy to pick up and load it.

e: You need a charcoal kiln, tongs and a firestarting item to process wood into charcoal. Five two-by-fours gives five charges of charcoal. It takes a lot of charcoal to make some objects, but don't make the same mistake I did. And charcoal is a craftable object in the misc tab.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 2, 2013

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

That's because a rock is better at killing a deer than a bunch of non-fletched arrows. Throwing spears and such should be more viable early on until you get access to fletched arrows some way.
Yes, obviously that's why, but it's pretty dumb. From a gameplay perspective, something that you have to craft should generally be more effective than stuff that's strewn freely about the ground, and from a realism perspective, Joe McDude sure as hell isn't going to be able to down him a deer by tossing rocks at it.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Not really. Cars you can make aren't as good as an intact or even junked car you can find until you get really good at mechanics. Throwing is a starting skill that peaks early, archery is a late term skill that takes a long time to peak, but does so at a level that can rival guns. That's the trade off.

edit: If deer in real life acted like deer in this game and didn't run when you hit them you drat sure could probably brain one with a few dozen big rocks. Maybe rocks do too much damage early on, but archery is fine. Trapping animals where they can't run and then braining them with rocks is a pretty long standing human tradition.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Not really. Cars you can make aren't as good as an intact or even junked car you can find until you get really good at mechanics.
This is a rather bizarre comparison. You can't make cars in any meaningful sense until you get together a good bit of material and skill - but once you do, they will most certainly be better than the wheelless wrecks you see on the road. To the limited extent that it's even possible to make direct comparisons of utility between vehicles.

quote:

Throwing is a starting skill that peaks early, archery is a late term skill that takes a long time to peak, but does so at a level that can rival guns. That's the trade off.
It's not actually a 'trade off' when the system in place just means that you don't use a skill for anything important until you can grind it up by shooting a billion wooden shafts at squirrels. It's just "bad design." Wooden shafts are pointless, field point arrows are (ironically) pointless, fletched field point arrows are barely better than pointless, and you don't actually have a decent weapon until you can put together wooden arrows.

quote:

edit: If deer in real life acted like deer in this game and didn't run when you hit them you drat sure could probably brain one with a few dozen big rocks. Maybe rocks do too much damage early on, but archery is fine. Trapping animals where they can't run and then braining them with rocks is a pretty long standing human tradition.
Wanna guess what replaced braining animals with rocks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Maybe a trade-off would be to have more carbon fibre arrows spawn in houses? If you can find arrows around that are a step up from wooden arrows, it gives you more incentive to use bows until you can make better arrows than the ones you find.

Although honestly once I get a safe spot with some food I just craft a shitload of wooden shafts and fire at the wall over and over again until I can make metal arrows.