Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

Come back, thread.

e:

Sock Weasel fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

:neckbeard:

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
I will play with the toy when I want to play with the toy.

Rocket Wizard
Jun 9, 2007
The thing that went "parp" went "parp".

Hdip posted:

I will play with the toy when I want to play with the toy.

Seriously, no one can look quite as unimpressed as a Shiba being asked to fetch a ball. :what:

Also, THAT NOSE!!!

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Rocket Wizard posted:

Seriously, no one can look quite as unimpressed as a Shiba being asked to fetch a ball. :what:

Also, THAT NOSE!!!

Shiba? Ball?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P-GcCp87Bs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48GS4yfYm3Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN2oGdHVXE8
http://instagram.com/p/dxATONRu0u/
http://instagram.com/p/bc6AmHxuyM/
http://instagram.com/p/a3ywBbxuyu/

Rocket Wizard
Jun 9, 2007
The thing that went "parp" went "parp".
Oh she'll kill a ball (or preferably something that squeaks), it's just hard to get her interested in chasing it first and you get just the best look when you try :). She loves to chase other dogs, though.

Angel stepped on a pine cone during her walk on Monday and broke a toenail off at the nailbed. We rushed her to the vet (yay, they're open til 8 during the week!) and they clipped it off the rest of the way and gave her a bandage. I definitely couldn't have done it, she started Shiba screaming when she licked it and I'm way squeamish about nails. We almost started crying when we heard her screaming in the back at the vet :cry:. She's been a super diva about walking with the bandage, especially on the hardwood floors :). We've been totally pathetic and giving her tons of treats. And she's been super good about not chewing the bandage. No cone of shame for Angel!

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

lol, you put Koji in your dog's body. :v:

HEGEL CURES THESES posted:

Paisleyfox, what are the mystery puppies turning out to look like? :kiddo:

I just took good 7.5 week old pictures of them yesterday I need to touch up. The four reds look like Shiba/Shepherd/Retriever(???) somethings maybe? Their ears are huge but starting to sort of half perk again, who knows if they will stand up.

Blackie is still a huge mystery to us. She just went home yesterday to the parents of some good friends of ours so I'm going over there to get a good shot of her this week.

Also hunnnnnnnnng Shikokuuuuuu~

But my love is still with brindlepups. I want an Akita or Kai so bad, still. I backed out of getting an Akita a week ago, he was the perfect boy but we just weren't ready. :sigh:

Ponyfields
Nov 2, 2011

paisleyfox posted:

I just took good 7.5 week old pictures of them yesterday I need to touch up. The four reds look like Shiba/Shepherd/Retriever(???) somethings maybe? Their ears are huge but starting to sort of half perk again, who knows if they will stand up.

D'awwww! Can't wait to seem them. Shiba crosses always seem to turn out cute. There were some shiba x whippet puppies (would those be shippets or wibas?) available on pets4homes a while back. Turned out looking like Sniff from the Moomins.

Yuuna's the last puppy left with the breeder now. Counting down the days until we can go and get her.

38 days of peace of quiet left :ohdear:

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
38 days too many in my opinion. Post as many pictures as you can when you get her, please.

Hij
May 29, 2005

Adama decided to show us just how important it is to keep Basenjis on a leash this weekend. He's always a very good boy at the dog park, but the second we were about to re-leash him and head out of there he realized we were going to leave and decided to protest by suddenly hauling rear end out to the parking lot, through the parking lot, and right into the god damned street like a maniac. This is only the millionth drat time we've taken him there... I guess it was just extra fun this time. Or there was a squirrel. Who knows. It just about gave me a heart attack as he disappeared out of sight and all we could hear were the multiple screechings of car tires....

But luckily he did not get hurt or cause an accident. And we will just have to either keep him on the leash at the park or find a park in which people remember to keep the ffffffing gate SHUT.

When we got home I wrapped him up in a protective comforter ball. Or imprisoned him perhaps. Clearly he was very upset about it.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Went for a walk yesterday with the pup.

Drool drips.

Dug a hole and sat in it.

Happy dogge!

In a month we will have had him for a year. Time flies when you've got the best dog in the world.

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

I do love him :3:

Though I also love my stinker, he's grown up so quickly

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

Who says CsV's can't be police dogs pffffft. :colbert:

Yeah he chewed almost all the way through his canny-collar strap while we were sat having lunch. Asshat.

Ponyfields
Nov 2, 2011
I know I shouldn't view this thread as a shopping list but goddamn at the last 4 posts.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

I'll just leave this here.

Roll Over by Kiri koli, on Flickr

Scrubber
Feb 23, 2001
I'm just arguing for leniency; all she did was kill her friend.
Primitive dog ear question:

My Shiba has the standard Shiba ears which are sort of thick, short and limited in terms of flexibility. They rotate independently and they can go somewhat far back, but she doesn't seem to be put them all the way back against her head. When she puts them as far back as they go, they still stick out to the side a bit.

On the other hand, my rescued Husky mix / mini-Husky / Klee-Kai (we're not sure) has prick ears that are made of slightly thinner skin, that are larger and that are significantly more flexible.

She can put her ears all the way back against her head and scrunch them up,so it looks like she doesn't have any ears at all from the front.

This isn't my dog, but it illustrates what she does:

Is this a standard capability of certain types of primitive dogs? Or is it a sign of ancestry from a non-primitive breed? I've seen some regular dogs do it before but never a Husky type.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Psyche can put her ears flat. It makes her look like her head is too small for her floofy body.

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
Quaffle has rose ears, not prick ears, but he holds them back like that close to his head a lot of the time, especially when he's moving. Which is good because he looks stupid when he just lets them flop.

Held back:

Floppy:

Just...no. Don't do that, Quaffle. Hide your shame.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Scrubber posted:

This isn't my dog, but it illustrates what she does:

Is this a standard capability of certain types of primitive dogs? Or is it a sign of ancestry from a non-primitive breed? I've seen some regular dogs do it before but never a Husky type.

My terrier has ears that do that. I've seen some huskies who can do it, I think it's just part of natural variation in ear carriage.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

I've seen some huskies who can do it, I think it's just part of natural variation in ear carriage.

This. Honestly, you can't look at ANY structure as a guide to "how primitive" a dog is. It's all based on genetics, which expresses itself most in temperament. Sighthounds, Tibetan dogs, and Chinese dogs would all be considered primitive, but their structures are WAY far off from wolves. Conversely, German Shepherds are super wolfy looking, but they're really far off genetically from wolves, probably because they have such a biddable temperament (total speculation on my part). I guess a good guide is human interference. The more people got in the way of dogs breeding naturally, the more they bred out that typical "primitive" temperament.

Scrubber
Feb 23, 2001
I'm just arguing for leniency; all she did was kill her friend.
Gotcha, thanks guys. Just trying to figure out if her ears were within the Husky range, since it's a bit of a mystery what she is.

Ponyfields
Nov 2, 2011
2 weeks tomorrow until we go pick Yuuna up!

My, how she's grown.

Am going slightly mad with the wait. Have bought 4 different types of brushes for her.

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

How old will she be? She looks so grown up already :3:

Ponyfields
Nov 2, 2011
She was born on 16th July, so she'll be 3 and a half months. Just in time for teething and her attitude to take hold!

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Which primitive breed tends to be the easiest for a newish owner to train? I was responsible for two GSDs growing up, so my experience is limited to a breed that is pretty easy to manage.

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

Elderbean posted:

Which primitive breed tends to be the easiest for a newish owner to train? I was responsible for two GSDs growing up, so my experience is limited to a breed that is pretty easy to manage.

I think Samoyeds are maybe the least primitive of the primitive breeds, very well tempered but cheeky. He will happily bugger off and jump in the muddy brook behind my house even though he knows he gets his feet and butt hosed down after and he hates that, I think he's allergic to clean water.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
What a fluffy fluff muffin! :neckbeard:

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

I spent the afternoon with 6 samoyeds a schipperke a few pugs and a BASENJI. it was fluffy heaven! Some pictures are on PIFB if people look there

Also I so want a Basenji, that dog is amazing

Hij
May 29, 2005

Zenithbliss posted:

I spent the afternoon with 6 samoyeds a schipperke a few pugs and a BASENJI. it was fluffy heaven! Some pictures are on PIFB if people look there

Also I so want a Basenji, that dog is amazing

I love my basenji so drat much, he's awesome, but if you want a dog that is easy to train for the love of god do not go there! His "screw you I don't wanna" attitude and ability to destroy everything he can get a hold of (which is everything, no matter how out of reach you think it is) is something we happen to enjoy and appreciate, but a lot of people don't want that in a dog. Hence, a lot of these guys end up in rescue.

I mean, it's not like he's that terrible. He's very friendly to people and animals, both familiar and strange, and he IS well trained and he knows exactly what we're telling him, and sometimes he listens... but sometimes he doesn't. And he will take advantage of any opportunity given to misbehave. Not a dog you can trust alone in a room for even a second (crate training is absolutely a MUST), or let off a leash in any open space, ever. Oh and they'll get out of a leash. They'll even get out of a harness if it's not tight enough and you're not paying attention. They'll climb 6ft fences or anything near a fence. These dogs are goddamn Houdinis.

Still, despite all that, best dog I've ever known. Weird and funny and full of personality and love!

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
I watched my brothers basenji for a weekend. He could sneak out the front door without you knowing it. Then he had no interest in listening to you to come back. However, I learned that if I took his leash outside with me to get him. He would say oh yeah I do want to go for a walk. Let's walk! Then come right over and let me leash him up and we'd go around the block and then back in the house like it was no big deal.

Oh and he cried like a baby. Literally, sounded like a baby.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Ponyfields posted:

Shiba crosses always seem to turn out cute. There were some shiba x whippet puppies (would those be shippets or wibas?) available on pets4homes a while back.

I volunteer at an animal shelter and several of my favorite dogs to come through have been ancient breed mixes. We had a shiba/husky mix (or...I think she was shiba. I forget now. I know husky) that was just the most gorgeous loving thing, she looked like a husky the color of a golden retriever. Real chill too. Liked to hang out, seemed to prefer guys to chicks. Whoever ended up with her is a lucky buncha bastards.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Elderbean posted:

On the one hand, Chows are dignified and, I dunno...."polite"?...for dogs. On the other hand, if they don't like you personally they hate you, so maybe they're not the best newbie primitive.

Seriously though, if a Chow likes you, it'll do what you say (maybe, sometimes) because you're its friend and it wants to. That's pretty great. (Edit: Don't take them off leash though. They'll never really "get" coming when called simply because you called.)

Comedy option: Pekingese.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Oct 25, 2013

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

a travelling HEGEL posted:

On the one hand, Chows are dignified and, I dunno...."polite"?...for dogs. On the other hand, if they don't like you personally they hate you, so maybe they're not the best newbie primitive.

Seriously though, if a Chow likes you, it'll do what you say (maybe, sometimes) because you're its friend and it wants to. That's pretty great. (Edit: Don't take them off leash though. They'll never really "get" coming when called simply because you called.)

Comedy option: Pekingese.

Akita are pretty well renowned for being good family dogs and gentle with kids so, I'm not going to say they're definitely easy since I've never kept one myself, but I reckon they should give you more leeway than something more energetic like a husky.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

For a new time owner, I'd personally shy away from Asian breeds. They tend to have (in my opinion) more of a chance of being antisocial with other dogs and with strangers, and they have a higher risk of biting. Smaller spitz dogs like American Eskimos tend to be the same way. I think sledding dogs can be a good bet, depending on the dog. Unlike those other breeds, they're bred to work in a group, so they tend to be a lot more social and friendly. I would be wary of any breed that's listed as a "one person owner" or "naturally protective" as those breeds require much more socialization to keep from becoming defensive in a negative way. Sledding dogs might greet every stranger like they're family and not be a great alarm system, but that natural sociability makes them easier, in my mind. Then you need to figure out what sort of energy level you're ready for, and what sort of a coat. Samoyeds might have a really great personality, but are you prepared for all of that hair? If you have a hard time managing it (which honestly, is pretty likely with most people, it is NOT an easy coat if you're new to grooming) will you be able to afford nearly $100 every 4-6 weeks for grooming? Malamutes are also less energetic in the house than a husky, but they do still have a decent amount of hair. Huskies are smaller and easier to take care of coat-wise (unless you end up with a long coated dog) but they seriously bound around your house like deer and are less likely to just settle without a bunch of activity.

The thing of it is, there's no "easiest dog", there's an "easiest dog for US" sort of thing. What is it that's drawing you to these breeds? They might all fit in a broad category, but they tend to be vastly different once you get down to it. You have to look at what you're looking for in a dog FIRST, then match those traits to a breed. :)

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

Yeah Artie's still knotty from where the helpful girls at doggy day care bathed him without brushing him first as a favour for me :downs: until then his coat was great.

I spend a few minutes each day working on a knot or two as he HATES being brushed or bathed. Professional groom is happening on Sunday at £53 too

cluck1000
May 23, 2011

fo'rilla
Man, this dude at work got a husky puppy 3 months before his wife delivered their baby. Evidently they LUCKED THE gently caress OUT and wound up with The World's Chillest Husky. So all was well! But now--I think it's less than a year later?--he told his lady if they came back from Vegas with money left they'd get a puppy fully expecting to not come back with money. But they did. And their dog is so great they want another one.

So they've got their hearts all set on this lil red husky puppy. They're taking their super chill dog to meet it (and a couple other of its available sisters but he wants the red one) to see if they get along. And that's wise. But I also feel like he should try to meet the dog's parents, bring his baby along, make sure it's not AN ACTUAL HUSKY. But like...how do you politely stress the importance of this to anyone you've known for like a month without being perceived as a weirdo asshat?

Oh well, I'll try and keep you updated on the status of his child's well-being.

EDITTED FOR DERP:

A quick google search to try and find the dogs he showed me pix of tells me this is the puppy he's looking at's dad. Lol.

cluck1000 fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 25, 2013

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I need to pluck all those fur tufts right now

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
It's like organic bubble wrap.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Chows.
Chows?

Chows.

Found it in PYF Dog Pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me
Does anyone have real world knowledge of typical differences in temperament between male and female shibas? I know what to expect from them as a breed, but most of the shibas I've met have been male.

Backstory: my boyfriend and I are looking into getting a puppy. I typically prefer male animals(though I'm neutral on shibas and could go either way), he wants a female. I'm fine with this for the most part, but I've read they're more prone to dog aggression. Assuming good socialization, how true is this? Also probably important is that a few years down the line I want to get a GSD, and with that I specifically want a male(I know, opposite end of the spectrum with these two breeds haha). I know its impossible to predict, so I guess I'm curious if I'm inherently setting myself up for failure by having a female shiba and male GSD coexisting, and would be better off if both dogs were male?

Another, unrelated problem is that our chances of getting a male pup seem to be likelier, since most of the breeders I've looked at tend to keep a female pup

• Locked thread