Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Air is lava! posted:

Why would the game give you points for getting a lot of cholesterole? Is this a campaign to kill of old people faster, so they don't leech of healthcare funds?

Death Panels: The Game! Brought to you by Obama's America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
"The Griffon of Time": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ol8i57A36w

I'm... not even sure where to begin on this one. Though it has a wonderful ending.

ryborg
Apr 15, 2007

I, myself, am not particularly athletic, so I fuel my competitive juices by watching my friends compete. The bar I frequent sponsors several teams and I especially enjoy watching the Ladies compete on Tuesday nights. It's an awesome sight watching a well-endowed woman rounding the bases...

thedaian posted:

I'm... not even sure where to begin on this one.

I'll show you where to begin.

IN A LAND WERE ANY THING CAN HAPPEND. WERE YOU CAN DO ANY THING. OUT COME A NEW KIND OF HERO

A HERO WHO MUST FIGHT ALL THE EVIL THAT IS STILL HERE AND MOST STOP THE TIME DESTORYER BEFORE PAST AND NOW BECOME NO MORE

CRYSTAL THE G OF LIGHT IS HERE TO PUT A STOP TO ALL EVIL.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
They all have wonderful endings.

They stop.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010
I got a youtube error about halfway through watching this one and thought it was entirely appropriate.

EDIT: Oh wow, the ending is truly magical. Everything about this game is fantastic and I want to find out what was going on in the developer's head while they were making this. :allears:

Ramengank fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 30, 2013

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

thedaian posted:

"The Griffon of Time": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ol8i57A36w

I'm... not even sure where to begin on this one. Though it has a wonderful ending.

That was hilarious for all the right wrong reasons.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Ramengank posted:

I got a youtube error about halfway through watching this one and thought it was entirely appropriate.

EDIT: Oh wow, the ending is truly magical. Everything about this game is fantastic and I want to find out what was going on in the developer's head while they were making this. :allears:

Obviously not "Better play this once to see if there are any obvious and glaring flaws"!

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

This was amazing.

Also I would legitimately play a platformer about a griffon, if the gameplay was more Insomniac-era Spyro and less heaving sprites and purple squares rocketing off into space.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
It appears that sonic has become a purple square and snuck into this game before being unleashed at the end.

Mr. Noseybonk
Jul 17, 2012

I didn't think it was possible, but that game was even more insane than Dontrel.

Massive_Idiot
Jun 21, 2007

Receiving data bursts, everything to do with it.
No nothing is more insane than Dontrel Dolphin but it's definitely 2nd place for dumb platformers made by horrible people you only meet over the internet.

Massive_Idiot fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 30, 2013

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
But I wanted them to play far enough to find the unicron crystal...

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
So did this person decide to make the timer a sprite because he/she couldn't figure out how to code leading zeros, or was that just on purpose? Was anything in this game intentional? Was the purple square camera focus a feature or a bug because they didn't know how to use the camera settings in Game Maker properly?

There's just too many questions. :psyduck:

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Just given how the minutes and seconds jumped around a lot, it really does look like they made a single sprite for each increment of time, like one for 1:30, one for 1:25, etc. How else would you explain 1:04?

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

The most amusing thing about these games is that when the creators make these amazing art assets, they don't seem to realize that MS Paint has a text editor.

terrordactle
Sep 30, 2013
Where the hell does Lowtax keep finding these "games"? The last one looks like it was drawn by a kindergartener

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

terrordactle posted:

Where the hell does Lowtax keep finding these "games"? The last one looks like it was drawn by a kindergartener

YoYo Games, the Newgrounds.com of YoYo Games.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

Phoenixan posted:

So did this person decide to make the timer a sprite because he/she couldn't figure out how to code leading zeros, or was that just on purpose? Was anything in this game intentional? Was the purple square camera focus a feature or a bug because they didn't know how to use the camera settings in Game Maker properly?

I'm actually fairly certain that Game Maker already has a built in timer object, so I don't know where this was going when it was turned into an animation with randomly chosen increments that change at the whims of the designer.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Jesus, that ending became a Merzbow song.

Dank Fishbong
Jan 17, 2013

by XyloJW

Mr. Noseybonk posted:

I didn't think it was possible, but that game was even more insane than Dontrel.

It's a close second, but at least there was nothing objectively terrifying in this game. Just terrible programming and insane glitches.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Cheez posted:

I'm actually fairly certain that Game Maker already has a built in timer object, so I don't know where this was going when it was turned into an animation with randomly chosen increments that change at the whims of the designer.
I don't know how they hosed it up so bad, but when I was watching it, it ticked from 10 down to 9, then to 10, then to 9 (8, 7, 6) again.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I always have to wonder about the people who create games like that. If it's a little kid, then it's excusable, and almost cute in the way that a preschooler's crude crayon stick figures are. But if that person is at least old enough to drive, it becomes extremely disturbing.

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

That was sure something. Loved the ending. The square transcended the game... literally.

Budohead
Feb 13, 2011

Head Case

Phoenixan posted:

The most confusing part isn't even that they decided to have the view bound to the purple square of mystery instead of the player character. It's that they went ahead and specified that the phantom square should have collision events with the environment like the player object does and not be able to clear the very first 10 pixel tall obstacle because the only thing it actually does is move left and right.

There's so many ways around the problem and the simplest one (besides binding the view to the loving player object in the first place) is to not go out of your way to create it and yet STILL they managed to not only make it happen but look at it and go "yeah people are probably gonna want to see this I should put it on the internet".

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Budohead posted:

The most confusing part isn't even that they decided to have the view bound to the purple square of mystery instead of the player character. It's that they went ahead and specified that the phantom square should have collision events with the environment like the player object does and not be able to clear the very first 10 pixel tall obstacle because the only thing it actually does is move left and right.

There's so many ways around the problem and the simplest one (besides binding the view to the loving player object in the first place) is to not go out of your way to create it and yet STILL they managed to not only make it happen but look at it and go "yeah people are probably gonna want to see this I should put it on the internet".

It could be an interesting effect if there was any way to directly control the square. You could use the square to scout ahead for dangers and plan your route, but at the cost that the clock is counting down so you'll have less time to move your character.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Budohead posted:

The simplest explanation is that the "game" was originally made following a tutorial on how to make a simple player-controllable square a 2D environment. Then the developer got a bright (luminosity evaluation pending) idea: replaced some object and background art, and added a new player character, hoping that hooking both the square and the character to the same inputs will prevent them from ever becoming separated. "There was one tiny flaw in the plan. It was bollocks."

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ponzicar posted:

I always have to wonder about the people who create games like that. If it's a little kid, then it's excusable, and almost cute in the way that a preschooler's crude crayon stick figures are. But if that person is at least old enough to drive, it becomes extremely disturbing.

According to the Amazon page about his book, the guy behind Dontrel Dolphin/Trelyate is in his late 20s.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Cheez posted:

Game Maker also has a built in camera function to follow a single object. Problem is, I don't think the creator realized how to switch camera focus between two player objects (griffin and unicorn lion thing) and so just bound the camera control to a purple square. That acts separately from the player and teleports back to them on certain checkpoints.

OH YEAHH

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Was "Hangar of Dreams" a reference to the Talking Heads song of the same name from the album True Thefts? "We live in this hangar of dreams. We walk down this hallway of textures."

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

I like that you play as a baby.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:

Improbable Lobster posted:

I like that you play as a baby.

Clearly an author self-insert

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
Strangely enough, it looks like the most polished out of all the Game Maker FPS' so far.

Budohead posted:

Back when I was more involved in the Game Maker community (many years ago now), some people had put a similar concept in their games where a separate object would be the camera focus. Though they did something kind of cool with it, where it'd make your camera go further right or left depending upon what direction you were facing, so you could look around the level easier.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

Phoenixan posted:

Strangely enough, it looks like the most polished out of all the Game Maker FPS' so far.

Back when I was more involved in the Game Maker community (many years ago now), some people had put a similar concept in their games where a separate object would be the camera focus. Though they did something kind of cool with it, where it'd make your camera go further right or left depending upon what direction you were facing, so you could look around the level easier.

I am going out on a limb and saying those people didn't make the other object visible, or suffer from collision, did they?

As for alien wars: That is the best FPS we have seen so far, by a wide margin. No billboarded images for enemies? And those tanks had dozens of polygons! The models weren't all just spheres strapped together! Game of the year. (In this thread)

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
99% chance all those enemy models were stolen or otherwise from some lovely free site. Still probably more work involved in that than in most of the other games we've seen.

Hudlinkin
Dec 31, 2007
At least the Doom barrels in this one actually did damage.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Hudlinkin posted:

At least the Doom barrels in this one actually did damage.

And had a different death animation, truly an incredible feat.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Phoenixan posted:

In the project I'm currently working on, the player character is the camera focus, except for when you're scoped on a sniper rifle, in which case the camera is focused on the halfway point between your character and where you're aiming (such that you can only aim up to a full screen away). If you're dead and waiting to spawn, the camera's not focused on anything, but you can move it around to spectate briefly, and that's done in code by setting the position of the view.

Alas, it seems actually coding their own implementations of things is something these kids are loathe to do.

Pakled posted:

99% chance all those enemy models were stolen or otherwise from some lovely free site. Still probably more work involved in that than in most of the other games we've seen.

Only marginally so. GameMaker has a built-in function for rendering models, though they have to be converted to some format first, I think.

Cockashocka
Sep 13, 2013

Bubble brother

For a second I thought this would be the best FPS we've seen so far, and then I realized that it was just another Doom clone FPS with bad pre-rendered models

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
My Person

I wish Lowtax went on Twitch more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I hope one of the upcoming videos is that weird rear end game Lowtax streamed alone with Lady Dracula constantly getting stuck inside him.

• Locked thread