Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

afaik it's an exploding die roll, so you could conceivably take stamina damage from a fire aura +1 unit even if you have 75 fire resistance, it's just not very likely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Decrepus posted:

How much resistance do I need to withstand heat and cold auras with this new system?

If you mean the kind that surrounds enemy units, then it just needs to surpass the strength of their aura I think. Damage number versus a reduction number and all. Edit: Or what he said, hell if I know how auras damage people.

If you mean avoiding fatigue from Heat/Cold 3 dominion scales, I think it's just at least one point of resistance, as it was before. Haven't tested it extensively, but seeing as nations with Heat/Cold 3 preference frequently have units whose resistances are <10, I assume it's not too high.

Tangent on the new resistance system, but among other things it has made it so that the Ancient Kraken doesn't poison itself with its own attacks, despite not having especially high poison resistance. That is a thing that always bothered me slightly when I used it, even though it wasn't a big deal.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Sep 29, 2013

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

According to the mod guide, a fire or cold resistance of 5+ protects you from the fatigue effects of the appropriate aura. Also by the mod guide, it looks like heat/cold auras don't vary their strength, only their area.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
So is this out officially? Or are we still waiting on that. I'm itching to play some multiplayer.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Multiplayer works right now, but there are some events that are broken in the new patch. Namely the one that sends hundreds of vikings after you, and another one that causes an entire province's population to disappear.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

NinjaDebugger posted:

According to the mod guide, a fire or cold resistance of 5+ protects you from the fatigue effects of the appropriate aura. Also by the mod guide, it looks like heat/cold auras don't vary their strength, only their area.

So that confirms how I thought heat and cold auras worked in dom3.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
Sorry for this question since I'm sure it's been asked before, but the OP mentions that Desura keys can be used on steam to unlock dom3. Is that also going to be the case for dom4?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Does Dom 4 have any good mods yet?

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

amuayse posted:

Multiplayer works right now, but there are some events that are broken in the new patch. Namely the one that sends hundreds of vikings after you, and another one that causes an entire province's population to disappear.

Well its not that it doesn't work. It's that I'm assuming there'll be some patch which I'll end up getting and messing up the current multiplayer games

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
3.99i is out now. As always you can download from the desura website if you don't have the client installed. http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions

Fornadan
Dec 7, 2010
I can't recall if this was the case in dom3 as well, but I have noticed the battle ai will now override scripts to cast Breath of Winter if there are friendly (not cold resistant) units within the chill aura range

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Berytos has greek names, is that WiP or are they supposed to be Fantasy Ionian Colonies instead of Fantasy Carthage?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
They're fantasy Carthage. Whether they end up with a new, custom name list or if reusing Greek names will be good enough is another question.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
So apparently there's a new patch. F9/D9 blesses have been changed so that they work on missile weapons, including magic weapons. Are there any sacred troops other than LA Tien'Chi ancestor vessels that have ranged weaponry? Also flaming arrows is now apparently automatic and works on all non-magic missile weaponry, so flaming sticks and stones from monkey nations could be amazing.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Dirk the Average posted:

So apparently there's a new patch. F9/D9 blesses have been changed so that they work on missile weapons, including magic weapons. Are there any sacred troops other than LA Tien'Chi ancestor vessels that have ranged weaponry? Also flaming arrows is now apparently automatic and works on all non-magic missile weaponry, so flaming sticks and stones from monkey nations could be amazing.

Why do archers have to be even better?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Dirk the Average posted:

Hmm, Caelum archers with a Virtue SC?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ashodel gets sacred undead centaur archers in their freespawn. Several sacred R'lyeh things have mind blast, some random javelin sacreds, LA Man's Wardens have crossbows, Kailasa's Yavana Archers and EA Agartha's Ancient Stone Hurlers.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 30, 2013

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Demiurge4 posted:

Hmm, Caelum archers with a Virtue SC?
My time has come :getin:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Dirk the Average posted:

So apparently there's a new patch. F9/D9 blesses have been changed so that they work on missile weapons, including magic weapons. Are there any sacred troops other than LA Tien'Chi ancestor vessels that have ranged weaponry?
EA R'lyeh Gibodai, I think. Also Kailasa's Yavana Archers.

They're doubly scary with the changes to Flaming Arrows, too.

e: Also many Pretenders, so in Disciple games, you're going to get Sacred Fire Dragons whose Fire breath is both Flaming Weapons'd and Flaming Arrows'd, for Extra Fire.

extra edit: Not sure how it'll work with LA Patala's Naga troops, but it would hypothetically affect their poison spit, too, as well as maybe (maybe?) their hypnotise ability, which is classed as a ranged attack.

extra edit x3: Nope. Naga troops' ranged attacks do not proc Flaming Weapons. This leads me to believe that only ranged attacks that directly do a point of damage are eligible for this.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 30, 2013

Fornadan
Dec 7, 2010

Dirk the Average posted:

I guess you could always give your Mictlan priest a Bow of War?

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I assume this means Agartha has access to giant flaming boulders, for whatever that is worth.

I should really pay better attention.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 30, 2013

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Has anyone been summoning Zizs? Mine seem to crawl across the ground instead of flying.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Speaking about archers, how useful are nonbuffed short bows in MA and LA against other nations?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Laughably bad except in such gigantic numbers that they can't help but dicerape someone.

AmishSpecialForces
Jul 1, 2008
It seems like, in addition to composition changes, you get a hell of a lot more PD in Dom 4. Been doing some games against the AI and end up with retardedly huge amounts of forces on chokepoints by the late game.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
The fact that you get pop specific PD can be so nice as an ape nation. It's wonderful.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Just trying out my first few games against the AI and wow, micromanagement hell is an understatement. I can see why this gets so engrossing :v:

A few newbie questions: am I correct in understanding that forts are best placed somewhere surrounded by forests and mountains? What is a good ratio of site-searchers to researchers in the early game? How much of a handicap is a European timezone to playing in multiplayer?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Gato posted:

Just trying out my first few games against the AI and wow, micromanagement hell is an understatement. I can see why this gets so engrossing :v:

A few newbie questions: am I correct in understanding that forts are best placed somewhere surrounded by forests and mountains? What is a good ratio of site-searchers to researchers in the early game? How much of a handicap is a European timezone to playing in multiplayer?

In general there are a few fort placement strategies I've seen. 1. Buy only the cheapest forts. Wherever that is. Usually forests. 2. Put forts in high pop provinces so you get the most long term benefit. 3. Put forts in choke points regardless of 1/2. So when you're playing and you see a fort that's not in one of those places (or that is right next to another fort) it's usually guarding something juicy.

Usually I like one or two mages of each path remote site searching. As a general rule, wait to research remote site searching until after you've hit your first research goal. I don't like manual site searching because I'm lazy and also other totally legitimate game reasons.

None. There are a fair number of European players and US players who are on IRC when you are/will be. Not being on IRC is a terrie hindrance to both learning the game and not getting attacked in MP (as is not talking to your neighbors).

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Site searching spells are generally harder to research and are limited by range compared to Dom3, especially gnome lore and auspex (Tha4). Arcane Probing (Evo3), Bowl of Blood (B2), and Dark Knowledge (Conj 3) needs only 1 respective of the path, so they might be more useful.

amuayse fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 1, 2013

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Here's an accurate list of remote sitesearching spells in Dom 4 in the order of magic types as they appear on mages:

Fire:

- Augury (Thaumaturgy 3, searches Land): Range 5, need 2 ranks of Fire magic, costs 2 Fire gems.

Air:

- Auspex (Thaumaturgy 4, searches connected Land): Range 2, needs 2 ranks of Air magic, costs 2 Air gems.

Water:

- Voice of Apsu (Conjuration 4, searches Land): Range 3, needs 2 ranks of Water magic, costs 2 Water gems.
- Voice of Tiamat (Conjuration 5, searches Underwater): Range 4, needs 2 ranks of Water magic, costs 8 Water gems, finds all Elemental (Fire, Air, Water, Earth) sites at once.

Earth:

- Gnome Lore (Thaumaturgy 4, searches Any): Range 3, needs 2 ranks of Earth magic, costs 3 Earth gems.

Astral:

- Arcane Probing (Evocation 3, searches Any): Range 4, needs 1 rank of Astral magic, costs 3 Astral pearls.
- Acashic Knowledge (Conjuration 6, searches Any), Range 10, needs 3 ranks of Astral magic, costs 25 Astral pearls, reveals all magic sites at once.

Death:

- Dark Knowledge (Conjuration 3, searches Any): Range 3, needs 1 rank of Death magic, costs 4 Death gems.

Nature:

- Haruspex (Thaumaturgy 3, searches Any): Range 3, needs 2 ranks of Nature magic, costs 2 Nature gems.

Blood:

- Bowl of Blood (Blood 2, searches Land): Range 5, needs 1 rank of Blood magic, costs 5 Blood slaves.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
3.99j has dropped today, but I don't have a change log and I'm not going to install the Desura client to find one. Someone tell us what's in it.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Lilli posted:

3.99j has dropped today, but I don't have a change log and I'm not going to install the Desura client to find one. Someone tell us what's in it.
Fire/Death weapons work on sacred bow-type ranged attacks, Flaming Arrows no longer only affects specific weapons, some nations got descriptions, events got fixed (notably the Huskarl one), the Open User Data command works again, and various other, less important things.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
3.99j
Added missing short nation descriptions
Atlas of Creation and some other items with rituals didn't work any longer
Chariot sprites
Command rating for many national commanders +20
Dryad can seduce
Event fixes
F9 and D9 blessing now works on missile weapons too (including magic ones)
Flaming arrows effect is now automatic and will affect all non magic missile weapo
Max number of teams 8 -> 15
Monster number 6999 couldn't be used for modding
Nation restricted items not possible in events
New look for some spells
Open user data directory had stopped working in Windows
Skeletal body fixed
Sleeper sprite and stats changed
Sound effect volume didn't affect trample
Typo and stat fixes
Unique works on global events
Utterdark no longer affects cave and deep sea
MAC
Updated icon
MAPS
Added 2 new maps by Antoine Miquel
Streamlands got saildist 1
MODDING
Gems added to site overwrote other effects
New mod commands #invulnerable, #inspiringres

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
For dom4, another strategy is to put forts on forests so you can build Roads there to improve your mapmove.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Sound effect volume didn't effect trample. :shepicide:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Speleothing posted:

If you want a picture of the future, imagine an elephant stamping on a giant's face - forever.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Gah, Bow of War used to do magic damage before this patch.

I suppose that's how it's supposed to work, I still hate undocumented changes though!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Speleothing posted:

But how does it affect trample now? :iiam:

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Pierzak posted:

But how does it affect trample now? :iiam:

Pretty sure it means that trample was causing sound effects at a constant volume regardless of the sound effect setting, nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
PHWOOOOW! PHWOOOOW! PHWOOW!

There is a reason I don't play Mammoth/Elephant nations. Or if I do, I don't use them. :colbert:

Shhh, little monkeys. I still love you. :(

• Locked thread