Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Mio Bison posted:

I've heard two explanations, one is that it's just frame skipping nonsense, the second is that air tatsu is active on frame 1, it takes a frame to start your block and which player gets processed first in a frame is determined randomly so you get either "P1 Tatsu + P2 Block = Block" or "P2 Walks Back + P1 Tatsu = Hit". Both kinda make sense but I don't know why anyone would make up the latter so I'll go with that.

The second one is correct. Basically no moves are supposed to connect on the first frame which causes the unlikely situation you described.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mountainmanjed
Apr 2, 2013

Jmcrofts posted:

Did anyone ever figure out *why* that move is unblockable sometimes and whether there's a way to do it consistently or is it just random?

I'd have to guess it's similar to Sent's unblockable in mvc2, where a later frame of the move doesn't have the "force block" hitbox??
It's the same reason L.Raptor's J.LK is unblockable in Vsav.
There is flags for when could be blocked and sometimes rarely the flag doesn't exist when an Attack box is out.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3
So did any of you buy Gootecks and F. Champ's dumb bullshit strategy guide thing? Any trip reports?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

So did any of you buy Gootecks and F. Champ's dumb bullshit strategy guide thing? Any trip reports?

I was curious about this too, I watched the previews- no game footage, to try and avoid another Capcom lawsuit.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Dandy J posted:

Just pointing out that you yourself were a victim of Tekken's nonsensical design (from something that's been the same since T1 even, and is only mildly offensive as far as illogical design decisions go) and it's more or less the only fighting game you play, so you have no room to talk.

About what? Tekken isn't exclusively built to please top-level players; there is plenty of stuff that isn't "good" in higher level play, but looks really cool and feels good when you do it, and that allows lower- and mid-level players to have fun with it, too. Sorry if this is a deeply upsetting concept to you, though I'm still not sure why you think that's the same thing as a throw using the wrong grab animation.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

I sure as hell prefer the throw system in VF5:FS over Tekken.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

MadCatz Korean Edition Stick is out now for 129.99

illezt
Mar 1, 2005

Jmcrofts posted:

Did anyone ever figure out *why* that move is unblockable sometimes and whether there's a way to do it consistently or is it just random?

I'd have to guess it's similar to Sent's unblockable in mvc2, where a later frame of the move doesn't have the "force block" hitbox??

God I miss hitting Psylocke with the Sent unblockable. Such a satisfying feeling.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus R Patch Heading to North America by the End of 2013

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Oh great, they put in a not great quality stick and stuck it in the TvC/SE/Brawl case so no one can do any kind of decent art mods to it.

I don't really know who they're trying to get with this stick.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

It's also a Bat-Top stick. :shrug:

Markman was pretty excited that they were able to convince Microsoft to not make them use the Xbox button colors, just print them on the label. You're right though, it's going to be nothing but sloppy lami-label artmods for these things.

If nothing else, these will probably end up being the discount sticks that MadCatz puts on sale for tournament weekends.

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
Last time I post about this, I promise:

I bought a crown 303-FK (pretty sure it's the same joystick as the one in the madcatz KE) to put into my stick and I love it to death. I will never go back to a Japanese style stick.

Death to ball tops allahu akbar

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

It's also a Bat-Top stick. :shrug:

Markman was pretty excited that they were able to convince Microsoft to not make them use the Xbox button colors, just print them on the label. You're right though, it's going to be nothing but sloppy lami-label artmods for these things.

If nothing else, these will probably end up being the discount sticks that MadCatz puts on sale for tournament weekends.

Bat tops make sense for K sticks, the issue here is they chose what most K-stickers would not generally consider to be the best one on the market. Why didn't the use the best stick? Because they are cheap. The other option isn't more expensive but it requires you to use a K style mounting solution as opposed to these new Crown sticks (which aren't terrible, just there are better options out there) that basically let you mount in a Japanese style setup. It's clear they chose these because they have an rear end load of TvC and SE molds they want to get rid of and decided that they could grab inferior parts because they would let them burn through their stack of cheap cases they have laying around.

I wouldn't be swayed by this if I wanted to get into K sticks. Simple research will teach you how to mod either the Wood stick or the Saulabi with Crown buttons and a Fanta Stick for a lot less than this stick costs (about 90 bucks for reference).

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

No I know, I was just referring to the fact that this is their only stick that comes with a bat-top. There were some people talking about how it's an FK stick and not a K stick on SRK (less than I expected, honestly, I was expecting a lot more complaints).
For 130 bucks it's way too expensive, especially when you can get the SCV or MLG TE sticks for 100 bucks during tournaments.

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
The one thing I'd say in its favor is that you can't mod a k-stick with Japanese buttons since Sanwa buttons are smaller. I don't like Crown buttons very much, personally.

But yeah if you already have a stick and you want to try a K-stick you can either buy a crown joystick for like 25 bucks and mod your current setup or buy a pure Korean parts joystick for cheaper. In fact you can do BOTH for cheaper :v:

Definitely don't buy this one full price.

Kempo
Oct 8, 2006

I'm debating getting a Qanba Q2 Glow because I like shiny things, it'll be £130 shippied to the UK, similar price to a used TE from what I can find. Anyone have opinions on the stick and buttons in the Qanba sticks that don't use Sanwa parts?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Kempo posted:

I'm debating getting a Qanba Q2 Glow because I like shiny things, it'll be £130 shippied to the UK, similar price to a used TE from what I can find. Anyone have opinions on the stick and buttons in the Qanba sticks that don't use Sanwa parts?

How much more would it be for the Q4? Because if it's doable I would highly recommend getting that instead.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Jmcrofts posted:

How much more would it be for the Q4? Because if it's doable I would highly recommend getting that instead.

The low end Q4s are like 10 bucks more expensive, the fancy looking ones are 40 more, but they work on Ps3, pc and 360, while the Q2 is either ps3/pc or 360/pc. It's worth it for the q4

Kempo
Oct 8, 2006

I might not bother then, I already have an SE I put Sanwa stick and buttons in, I just want the Q2 Glow because it looks fancy and I'm a sucker for that. The Q4s don't really appeal to me, I was hoping the Q2 was of good enough quality.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Kempo posted:

I might not bother then, I already have an SE I put Sanwa stick and buttons in, I just want the Q2 Glow because it looks fancy and I'm a sucker for that. The Q4s don't really appeal to me, I was hoping the Q2 was of good enough quality.

Qanbas are good quality, everyone I know that uses one seems to like them a lot. If you're just wanting something that looks cool and plays well then by all means grab one. Most people here aren't buying for looks, so they would grab the dual modded Q4s over the Q2.

Kempo
Oct 8, 2006

Yeah a few of the guys at the local tournament I play in have Q4s and they're great, but as far as I know they have legit Sanwa parts. As long as the "Qanba LED Stick" and buttons aren't crap like the ones that came with the MadCatz SE I'll be happy.

Edit: Oh and I'm fine with only using it on 360 anyway.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Prototype of the MadCatz KI TE2 stick.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
With Aquapazza coming out in North America pretty soon, I have decided to stream some practice/story/online in a little bit. Come on in and ask questions about this weird rear end anime poo poo! Its a good game and Id hate to see it flop because "ewww, anime"

Im certainly no expert or anything, but I figure i can get the gist of things across well enough

http://www.twitch.tv/gutcruncher

Edit: All done. Hope my flailing about encouraged some of you to throw down 30 bucks.

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 4, 2013

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's going to flop because fighting games outside of the big name franchises do that.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

<3<3<3

Gutcruncher posted:

With Aquapazza coming out in North America pretty soon, I have decided to stream some practice/story/online in a little bit. Come on in and ask questions about this weird rear end anime poo poo! Its a good game and Id hate to see it flop because "ewww, anime"

Im certainly no expert or anything, but I figure i can get the gist of things across well enough

http://www.twitch.tv/gutcruncher

Edit: All done. Hope my flailing about encouraged some of you to throw down 30 bucks.

Wow, that is... I mean, there's anime and then there's anime.

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

Wow, that is... I mean, there's anime and then there's anime.

Yeah, looks great doesn't it?

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

<3<3<3
Uh, yeah. Forsure.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

So what the gently caress is "poverty" in FGC lingo? I just noticed this term coming up more and more lately and I can't figure out what it means.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

DizzyBum posted:

So what the gently caress is "poverty" in FGC lingo? I just noticed this term coming up more and more lately and I can't figure out what it means.

Poverty games are games that aren't very popular, so there's no tournament money to be had for them. Basically anything that isn't one of the major UMVC3/AE2013/Tekken etc.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 4, 2013

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
There's also the concept of poverty chat which is basically using irc or another streamer's twitch chat when Spooky or whomever goes sub-only.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I thought it also came from poverty games being the cheap machines in the back of the arcade that took less money per play than the other machines.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Another thing is that poverty games historically had lower pot fees to enter in tournaments, as an attempt to get more competitors.

Poverty lately has been used to refer to "cheap" or "poor" in general, as a joke, like when a tournament is disorganized or a game crashes.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
It also implies games that are easily pirated despite being new(ish). Melty Blood is a prime example, though Akatsuki Blitzkampf and Big Bang Beat are two more fairly recent games that come to mind. The suggestion is that since you're in poverty, you can only play what's free.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
The answer is everyone makes up their own interpretation, and none of them involve paying more money to play them.

vvvvvv Yeah they really don't want people to pay for that one, I guess. It would be similarly absurd if you had to buy 75 Big Macs before you could play Melty Blood.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 4, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Jeffrey posted:

The answer is everyone makes up their own interpretation, and none of them involve paying more money to play them.

Unless you really want a legal copy of Melty Blood for some reason.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
If they were smart they wouldve released Melty Blood in an affordable stand-alone form after a few months or so. If they were genius they would release it on Steam with cards and CHEEVES

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
Clearly, the real reason poverty game players are poor is that they spend all their time making absurdly detailed and useful wikis for games played by 10 people :)

http://wiki.mizuumi.net/w/Main_Page

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

animatorZed posted:

Clearly, the real reason poverty game players are poor is that they spend all their time making absurdly detailed and useful wikis for games played by 10 people :)

http://wiki.mizuumi.net/w/Main_Page

Well if there's no one to play against what else can you spend your time doing but writing about the game?

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser
IMO poverty has connotations of brokenness/lack of polish/unpopularity that don't apply to Melty AA/CC (or a bunch of other Mizuumi games obviously). Eye of the beholder OFC. Only straight-up doujin fighters are indisputably poverty.

There's no way Melty gets localized at this point, buy UNIB when it inevitably comes stateside and cross your fingers for Melty HD. Or just play CC, Caster is legit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Melty is kind of a straight up doujin fighter though right?

• Locked thread