Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

80% of PA is widely mocked and disdained by people from across the north east and mid west as Pennsyltucky.

Well did you think the Penn State rape apologism came out of nowhere or something? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

For the guy who wondering how Berlin voted during the recent German federal election.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Don't worry, Berlin is doing it's best to gentrify east berlin and drive all the locals out.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Mu Cow posted:

For the guy who wondering how Berlin voted during the recent German federal election.

Let me guess, the SDP and Green voting districts are where the rich people live?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

mcustic posted:

Let me guess, the SDP and Green voting districts are where the rich people live?

The west is where all the more right-wing capitalists live. The CDU is a pretty lovely neo-liberal party with amazing pant-suits. The social democratic areas are basically the "downtown" areas of Berlin. The Green areas are where a mix of actual poor artists and bohemians and tons of yuppie scum gentrifying the gently caress out of traditionally poorer areas. It's become a fairly divisive issue as the locals want to keep their districts theirs, but all the things that make those districts cool are attracting yuppies wanting to buy into the lifestyle and thus destroy it. The "left" areas are of course the old residential cores of East Berlin and made up of mostly working class people who have seen first hand their economy gutted by the neo-liberal economic policies since reunification.

The west votes CDU because they already have money and stability and the CDU represents the successful status quo
I don't know why the centre areas are voting social democratic, I guess because they're too progressive to vote CDU but too rich to vote left or green.
The more bohemian areas vote green because gently caress neo-liberalism but also gently caress industry and traditional jobs and the man, man. I just work in a co-op vegan coffee shop and do street art or live off my trust fund and desperately attempt to be cool, so it's not like economics matter to me.
The East votes Left because gently caress neo-liberalism and gently caress the CDU and I sure wish I had a job and health care and social services.

(or at least this is all my very ignorant outsider perspective on berlin politics)

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 28, 2013

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

withak posted:

Best not to try to figure out why Finns like what they like.

Well that map wasn't made by a real Finn because it has Helsinki on it :smuggo:

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

Well that map wasn't made by a real Finn because it has Helsinki on it :smuggo:

It's from the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Brennanite posted:

It's from the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson.
That explains why Scotland is Clever Handsomeland.

A_Spec
Nov 2, 2012

A Dutch re-unionist dream right here. I personally like the Brussels enclave.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Are there a notable number of Flemish separatists that would actually want to part of Greater Netherlands, or do virtually all of them just want to be an independent Flanders?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
They are overstating. Just call it A Tiny Bit Larger Netherlands.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

Lycus posted:

Are there a notable number of Flemish separatists that would actually want to part of Greater Netherlands, or do virtually all of them just want to be an independent Flanders?

Most of them want an independent Flanders, but I think quite a few would like to run certain services and infrastructure together with the Netherlands.
Quite a few people have suggested Flanders joins the Netherlands, Wallonia joins France, and Brussels officially becomes the EU capital and independent, similar to Washington DC.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Kennel posted:

They are overstating. Just call it A Tiny Bit Larger Netherlands.
It's not even the Seventeen Provinces. :colbert:

sweek0 posted:

Most of them want an independent Flanders, but I think quite a few would like to run certain services and infrastructure together with the Netherlands.
Quite a few people have suggested Flanders joins the Netherlands, Wallonia joins France, and Brussels officially becomes the EU capital and independent, similar to Washington DC.
How many Walloons have actually suggested that Wallonia join France, rather than outside observers noting that they both speak French and therefore should be part of the same country? Given France's track record with local cultures and dialects, I'm hard-pressed to believe that Walloons would actually be able to celebrate their unique Walloonishness there that much. Germany does a better job than France at that, Wallonia ought to be part of Germany.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

Ofaloaf posted:

It's not even the Seventeen Provinces. :colbert:

How many Walloons have actually suggested that Wallonia join France, rather than outside observers noting that they both speak French and therefore should be part of the same country? Given France's track record with local cultures and dialects, I'm hard-pressed to believe that Walloons would actually be able to celebrate their unique Walloonishness there that much. Germany does a better job than France at that, Wallonia ought to be part of Germany.

Most Walloons simply don't want to split at all, but I think that, if Flanders does get separated, many would consider it the better option over trying to form an independent Wallonia. It's very much the poorer part of Belguim and Flanders subsidizes Wallonia in many ways. Wallonia also has more in common with the Northern parts of France than with Flanders.
I think it's only the very small Rassemblement Wallonie France party that explicitly wants to split and join France.

There is a small part of Wallonia where they speak German which would possibly join Germany. Or Luxembourg or no one really knows because people don't care about them and barely have any power.

sweek0 fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Sep 30, 2013

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
That region used to be part of Germany until WW1.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Belgium is highly unlikely to ever split up because of Brussels. An independent European district sounds good, but no one will want to pay for it. Negotiating a split of Belgium would be absurdly difficult for a number of reasons, but Brussels is the biggest reason.

There is virtually no support in either part of the country to join a neighbouring country. The funny thing is that there is some support in the Netherlands to take aboard Flanders, just like some French wouldn't mind if Wallonia joined France.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

I think I remember a poll saying that plenty of Walloons wouldn't mind joining France, if staying part of Belgium wasn't an option. There's close to zero support for joining the Netherlands in Flanders, though. Except maybe Siegfried Bracke.

boblemoche
Apr 11, 2008

A map showing what heathen parts of France calls this a "chocolatine", versus the ones correctly calling it a "pain au chocolat", as it was meant to be called, dammit. :argh:

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
Oh, those heathens... Why can't they just speak standard Parisian French like the rest of us normal, local language repressing folks?

SaltyJesus fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 30, 2013

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

boblemoche posted:

A map showing what heathen parts of France calls this a "chocolatine", versus the ones correctly calling it a "pain au chocolat", as it was meant to be called, dammit. :argh:

Add :quebec: to team chocolatine. :colbert: To me, "pain au chocolat" would infer that the bread itself was flavored to be chocolate-tasting, like this:

VV I definitely walked right into that one. Still, :nyd:

univbee fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Sep 30, 2013

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

univbee posted:

Add :quebec: to team chocolatine. :colbert:

That just cements its wrongness :smug:

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 30, 2013

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

SaltyJesus posted:

Oh, those heathens... Why can't they just speak standard Parisian French like the rest of us normal, local language repressing folks?

It's interesting how reading about the history of French languages has made me basically think of Northeast France as a cradle of fascism. How loving romantic.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Nah, Sardinia is the cradle of fascism because you can't have fascism without nationalism and you can't really have nationalism without Napoleon.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

rscott posted:

Nah, Sardinia is the cradle of fascism because you can't have fascism without nationalism and you can't really have nationalism without Napoleon.

Napoleon was from Corsica.

Edit: VVVVVV but they're not even crescent shaped :psyduck:

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 30, 2013

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The first time I was in Australia and ordered a pain au chocolat, there was no sign telling me what they were called, so obviously I asked for a chocolate bread. The guy behind the counter had no idea what I was talking about.

Turns out in English they're called chocolate croissants. Who knew? Not me, that's for sure.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've only ever heard them called chocolate croissants but the nearest french speakers are about 3000km away. We all call them this because we are linguistically pure, unlike the french speaking world that has allowed heretical and mutated language to spread. There's nothing I love more than cuddling up on the chesterfield with a pop and a chocolate croissant.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
A chocolate croissant is a regular croissant with chocolate baked into it. The other thing is a pain au chocolat. Or at least that's what they called 'em in Britain when I was there.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

I've only ever heard them called chocolate croissants but the nearest french speakers are about 3000km away. We all call them this because we are linguistically pure, unlike the french speaking world that has allowed heretical and mutated language to spread. There's nothing I love more than cuddling up on the chesterfield with a pop and a chocolate croissant.
I just call them Pain au Chocolat at bakeries in Vancouver and everyone still knows what I mean.

In fact I had one for breakfast today that was ordered this way.

More Later
Mar 31, 2010
You're all dancing in the palm of the Académie Française's hand.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Hey whats that fancy thing with the chocolate inside, give me two and a pabst.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ras Het posted:

It's interesting how reading about the history of French languages has made me basically think of Northeast France as a cradle of fascism. How loving romantic.

France reminds me a lot of China, but not in the nice ways.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

computer parts posted:

France reminds me a lot of China, but not in the nice ways.

I remember protests in China during the run up to the Beijing 2008 Olympics after someone said something about Tibet (don't remember what triggered it exactly), there were Chinese protester with a French flag with "Free Corsica" on it.

Found it haha:

"Joan of Arc=Prostitute" "Napoleon=Pervert" this is great.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

Napoleon was from Corsica.

Edit: VVVVVV but they're not even crescent shaped :psyduck:

God damnit I always do that too.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Fantastical Alt-history maps okay? If so, let me present Greater California. :ca:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Why is Humboldt out in central Nevada?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

DrSunshine posted:

Fantastical Alt-history maps okay? If so, let me present Greater California. :ca:

This here is why I voted for Aaron Kimball.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

boblemoche posted:

Weird. I spent a good few summers in the south-west of France and every bakery called it a pain-au-chocolat.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

DrSunshine posted:

I think this map is from Union and Liberty at alternatehistory.com. The timeline is currently in the middle of its World War I parallel.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

What in hell happened to Europe :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM
Even in crazy alternate timelines Eugene Debs can't win any electoral votes :negative: