Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Insert shopping trolley jokes here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
The previous body style had a twincharged, intercooled 1 litre that went pretty well - maybe this is a Cosworth version?

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Throatwarbler posted:

The M3's engine is buried halfway in the car?

The fuel economy of the Nissan 5.6l V8 is amazing. C&D's long term test vehicle got no more than 14mpg.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/oneyear/vans/1305_2012_nissan_nv_2500hd_long_term_verdict/viewall.html

It doesn't have any EPA ratings but the 2WD Titan that it's based on gets 13/18, 15 combined. This a supposedly high tech aluminum block DOHC V8 with VVT and all that jazz.

That's around what my lovely 2001 Dodge Durango gets. Christ that's all Nissan can do?

:frogsiren:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

To be fair, that's about how long it was since that truck's been updated in any meaningful way.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Why lift the truck if you're not gaining any ground clearance? Why put a scrotum on your trailer hitch? Why deliberately gently caress up your engine/exhaust just to produce smoke?

I'm assuming it's just another fashion thing. There probably isn't even a radio hooked up inside; you can get CB whips at radio shack for like $15 so it's a pretty cheap and noticeable decoration. Edit: although honestly if you're going to install the antenna, might as well get that $80 Cobra CB too while you're at Radio Shack.

I see more trucks cruising around with a full-sized flag in the back these days. Usually just US flags, but sometimes Confederate. We're in Northern California :psyduck:

Yep, seeing the same....here in CT, that bastion of the confederacy.

For extra fun, try pointing out they are flying the flag of the team that lost.

Fucknag posted:

To be fair, that's about how long it was since that truck's been updated in any meaningful way.

The rear end explodes before you get through a few tanks of gas to really notice anyway.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Slavvy posted:

Yup. Was the first example that sprung to mind, the transit is much worse than that though.

That plastic cowl bit on top lifts right off after turning a few plastic clips, and the entire length of the engine is exposed.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

InitialDave posted:

Insert shopping trolley jokes here.

It looks kinda cool in a very strange way...

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

wallaka posted:

That plastic cowl bit on top lifts right off after turning a few plastic clips, and the entire length of the engine is exposed.

Seriously, BMW straight sixes are so easy to work on and almost everything is accessible, e46 m3 is no exception.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I realise that. It was an imperfect example. This is the best picture I could find of a transit engine bay but you get the gist. gently caress you ford.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
The topper is what you have to do to access the engine compartment to begin with:

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Root Bear posted:

The topper is what you have to do to access the engine compartment to begin with:

I wish I had that when I lived in the ghetto and had my battery stolen :kimchi:

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Oh man, our company recently got a Transit Connect and it's the most overdesigned turd I've ever seen. Every little thing is made of plastic. This plastic gets brittle in -40 and my coworker will essentially can't open the hood without breaking something unless he lets it warm up.

There's been an ongoing issue with the side doors, to the point where they're unusable. The previous owner delivered parcels in it, and apparently slammed the doors. A real panel van wouldn't have cared, but the Transit Connect has some sort of lovely plastic sensor dealy that monitors the door. Hit it hard enough and it gets pushed into its housing, no longer making electrical contact. This not only sounds a warning chime, it turns on the 4-way flashers. So there have been tons of times where he'd be cruising along in full traffic only to have the 4-ways go on and everyone swerve madly around him. Everything is tied into the computer system, and a replacement key fob is apparently a crazy amount of money.

edit* also in the panel van configuration the internal shelves block access to the jack and tire iron

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

I have a Soul, it's not that bad. I've got a hosed up back and even getting in/out of a civic was getting annoying. The Soul sits high enough I can just turn and drop my legs, not having to claw my way out of the car from a foot off the ground.

That and a 160hp 4 banger with a 6 speed is kinda fun even if it does sit a little high.

I got a '13 plus with all the options but the sunroof and foglights. I didn't want another sunroof car after my last three having sunroofs i didn't use. I paid cost for the factory foglights which were around $180, i just need time to install them along with the new turn signal stalk. It had 200 miles on it so i got 3k off which took it down to 16k. I've put over 7000 miles on it in two and a half months and i like it. Lots of room inside, massive headroom. I put a set of aftermarket 16" wheels on it after i bought it and bought snow tires for my factory 16" wheels. I got the 10yr, 100k bumper to bumper warranty also which was a big selling point.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Slavvy posted:

I realise that. It was an imperfect example. This is the best picture I could find of a transit engine bay but you get the gist. gently caress you ford.

No real other way to make a van. They have a doghouse on the interior, right?

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Not only are the Transit Connects terrible as panel vans but they're terrible as passenger vehicles as well. A company I worked for used a number of them as company cars, and I had the displeasure of riding in the back of one between Cleveland OH and Nashville back in March.
Since the majority of the vans coming from overseas will have their interiors ripped out and discarded*, the back seat is hard as a rock and there is virtually no body insulation or ventilation in the rear. There were three of us on the trip, two in the front and myself in the back. The guys up front stripped down to their t-shirts and complained of the heat while I huddled shivering in the back under a coat, sweatshirt and blanket, begging them to at least keep keep the windows closed for me.

*Ford imports these from an assembly plant in Turkey, but due to the 25% "Chicken Tax" tariff on foreign trucks, they come with windows and a rear seat so as to be classified as a passenger vehicle. These seats and windows are removed and thrown away once they hit the US.

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

Polymerized Cum posted:

I wish I had that when I lived in the ghetto and had my battery stolen :kimchi:

I've got a 1999 Chrysler Cirrus. The battery is unusually difficult to remove.

I like to pretend that it was designed that way because battery thefts were quite rampant that decade.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
I don't get the Transit Connect hate. I drive one five days a week and have put over 40,000 miles on it since March of last year. It does everything I need while getting 20% better mileage than the Chevy Express van I used to drive at work. I do POS support/repair, telecom, data, wireless communications and it is quite adequate for that. I don't want to own one, but I don't want an Express either.

It is retarded that the jack gets covered up by the Adrian Steel shelves, but I blame that more on Adrian Steel than I do Ford.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
There's a pretty glowing review of the Ram Promaster.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/10/review-2014-ram-promaster-cargo-van-with-video/

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Jakcson posted:

I like to pretend that it was designed that way because battery thefts were quite rampant that decade.

Or they just really HATE anyone and everyone that works on their vehicles :negative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQF16DjM5As

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

NoWake posted:

*Ford imports these from an assembly plant in Turkey, but due to the 25% "Chicken Tax" tariff on foreign trucks, they come with windows and a rear seat so as to be classified as a passenger vehicle. These seats and windows are removed and thrown away once they hit the US.

Ford actually got called out on this and is currently paying the chicken tax out of its own pocket while the issue is in appeals.

Boxy but good!
Apr 30, 2009

Root Bear posted:

Or they just really HATE anyone and everyone that works on their vehicles :negative:

I work at a store that specializes in batteries and battery accessories, and I can tell you, from semis to lawnmowers, there is exactly one situation in that we won't even ATTEMPT to change the battery in a vehicle. I mean, what the gently caress Chrysler?

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

Root Bear posted:

That's the easy one. Do an Intrepid/300 on the other side, that poo poo sucks.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Honestly, it's not that bad, at least if you work at a shop and have a lift, and even at home, it doesn't look that bad to do. Compare with some GM poo poo, we were discussing this one in the mechanical failures thread:

Or how about a traverse?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiTnSv-SouI

Or the Solstice where you have to remove the fender. Not the fender liner, the actual fender of the car.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Better or worse than fake fender vents?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

wallaka posted:

No real other way to make a van.

Wrong :clint:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Jakcson posted:

I will always defend this. For one, its not THAT difficult, its just different. On the LH Cars you don't even need to remove the wheel, just crank the steering all the way to the left, and slide the thing out the access door.

How often do you need to change the drat battery? Once every 5 years or so? Its not like its the oil filter you need to change often.

It puts the battery over the drive wheels, so its good for weight distro. It also moves it away from some of the engine heat which is why the battery fails to begin with.

Boxy but good! posted:

I work at a store that specializes in batteries and battery accessories,

Does this sound like its in Hank Hill's voice in everyone else's head too?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
In a ~1997 Honda Civic, the service manual says that you need to remove the front bumper to change the passenger side headlight. I was able to get in there and change it without this step, but seriously?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Root Bear posted:

This doesn't look that bad? I mean sure it's more time consuming to remove than a normal battery but it's not like it's hard? Am I missing something?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

JP Money posted:

This doesn't look that bad? I mean sure it's more time consuming to remove than a normal battery but it's not like it's hard? Am I missing something?

A minority of people here just irrationally hate Chrysler, you'd think they'd find something better to complain about instead of "abloo bloo this thing that I might have to do once every 2 or 3 years at most is going to take 15 extra minutes".

The LH cars were not always terribly well built but in terms of design and packaging they were very well thought out. It was the pick of the litter compared to the Ford Taurus and its pot metal transmission and 3 timing chains or any of the 4 turds that GM was making GBS threads out that all had some variant of the 3.1l/3.4l 60* OHV V6 that was mentioned earlier.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 2, 2013

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Back onto the Ford Transit talk, in 2011 I had the pleasure of helping a friend change the transmission on one. It was a 2010 model, and every bolt imaginable was seized, rusted, and fought back at every turn. The axles were pretty much fused to the hubs and once they were out they refused to leave the transmission so we dropped it while the axles were still in the transmission. I don't know if this one was a special case and it spent it's short life sitting in a salt bath but it was just crazy. It was such a nightmare to work on; we still make jokes whenever we mention it.

In comparison we did a motor swap on a 2000 Honda Civic that had a windowed block a week or so later and everything was a breeze, every bolt came right out after you crack it, nothing was seized. In comparison to the transit we did earlier it was like we weren't even trying.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
Question on all these cars with batteries in weird locations: How the hell do you jumpstart the car? Are there remote battery posts or do you have to basically take off the wheel/brace bar/open the rear door and lift up the carpet?

This is pretty much a monthly concern for me (mostly jumping other cars).

yyyyyy
Jan 13, 2013

by T. Finninho

Fire Storm posted:

Question on all these cars with batteries in weird locations: How the hell do you jumpstart the car? Are there remote battery posts or do you have to basically take off the wheel/brace bar/open the rear door and lift up the carpet?

Unless the manufacturer is completely retarded there should be a remote post under the hood on every car that doesn't have the battery there

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Throatwarbler posted:

A minority of people here just irrationally hate Chrysler, you'd think they'd find something better to complain about instead of "abloo bloo this thing that I might have to do once every 2 or 3 years at most is going to take 15 extra minutes".

The LH cars were not always terribly well built but in terms of design and packaging they were very well thought out. It was the pick of the litter compared to the Ford Taurus and its pot metal transmission and 3 timing chains or any of the 4 turds that GM was making GBS threads out that all had some variant of the 3.1l/3.4l 60* OHV V6 that was mentioned earlier.

Funny thing my dad bought a Intrepid with around 20,000 miles on it and then proceeded to drive around 250,000 miles before giving it to my sister who abused it until it slightly ticked over 300,000 miles when the headgaskets went. Nothing else ever went wrong with it and it managed to drive through many wisconsin winters with only rust starting to show at the end.

I think any car that makes it over 300,000 miles is a ok in my book.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

Fire Storm posted:

My Ford Escape has a negative post as the battery is buried under the windshield. You can still access the positive.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The frame is the negative post!

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
There's usually a set of jump terminals when the battery is tucked away or in the trunk or something.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Geirskogul posted:

Friends don't let friends blow up batteries, at least not while their face is near the drat thing.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Geirskogul posted:

Red cable goes on the black post right? It's a battery so obviously opposites attract like a magnet does and therefore the battery must charge right?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

JP Money posted:

Red cable goes on the black post right? It's a battery so obviously opposites attract like a magnet does and therefore the battery must charge right?

You joke about this but I got my car jumped by a roadside assistance contract company and the guy tried to jump start my E30 backwards and blew up both of his battery boxes in the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LarryCsonka
Nov 7, 2006
Oooh, I don't go map-finding-behinding

Geirskogul posted:

I have never gotten this method to work. I always try in vain and then give up and attach it to the negative terminal so I can actually get the car started.