Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I was really hoping he would kick through the drywall and go back to work like nothing happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Abso-loving-lutely.

There are so many retards in my career that have personally "saved the company" from horrible time management mistakes. Believe it or not people it is not our job to protect overly-aggressive PMs from their own enthusiasm.

The PM promised poo poo without consulting us and then ignored us when we said it wasn't possible? It shouldn't be our problem. But then some rear end in a top hat steps into the breach and works all weekend to meet the ill-conceived deadline and makes the rest of us look bad.

I'll do my honest 8 hours and gently caress trying to save people from themselves.

/grump

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

A request came in from another team:

"Hi we apparently should have made you aware of this but we're trying to package this app for Legal and are having problems, can you assist?"

This is odd because I thought I knew all of the apps legal use, hmmm what's this on the vendor website " local version available - no servers required" how does that work....uh oh.

Turns out for god knows how long we have had two users running an application that uses an ms access backend that is a).mdb so probably liable to corrupt itself b) unknown to anyone in IT c) in a directory named \restore201004\ in a folder full of copies of the db of various ages and d) stored in a shared area that about 50 people have write access to e) has no support contract and is who knows how many updates behind.

What can possibly go wrong?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
I would work late when the project was personally fulfilling. Either a work of personal project. There is a difference between working late because you want to and working late because you feel you have to.

Although now that I am responsible for a tiny tiny human I rarely work past 5.30 for any reason.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

What can possibly go wrong?

Nothing. Because none of this is your problem. You even have the magic email stating that you didn't know about this.

When they want to include you from the get-go and have your buy-in, then you can own a piece of that.

To CYA, document all of the issues you see with this (basically this post) in an email to your boss and then kick it to him to either push back on or assign it to you as an honest to goodness project that you can then allocate time towards.

Until then, you do nothing.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Agrikk posted:

Believe it or not people it is not our job to protect overly-aggressive PMs from their own enthusiasm.

Quite true.

Some of them are really good at making you doubt yourself. Our marketing head decided she didn't like - amongst other things - the fact that it takes time between her asking for something on the website, and me completing the work. Marketing is urgent, she says, it should be done in finger-snapping time. So she says, not in so many words but really not far off, "you're poo poo, so we're going to use an external developer instead" and convinced the powers that be to do so (effectively reducing my responsibilities and multiplying their cost by 10). Part of the reasoning she gave was "GB would take too long, this company promised they'll have the whole website rewritten in 2 weeks". I was thinking "that's ridiculous" and then "well maybe I really am poo poo"

Nothing has moved yet. This was about 4 months ago.

There's just no point in trying to be a hero.

(Why am I so bitter about her and this issue all the time? Well, I caught sight of the document where she made the recommendation. The whole case was basically built on slagging me off as much as possible)

GargleBlaster fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 1, 2013

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

wintermuteCF posted:

You know, I think if you set up some sort of donation site, just about everyone in this thread would kick in a dollar to help fund your well-deserved "Welp, looks like it's gently caress This poo poo O'Clock" bender.
I'd be way more willing to donate to a fund like this than to buy a bottle opener.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
SCSH Trust Fund 2013: Buying booze and resumes for the truly needy.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Agrikk posted:

Nothing. Because none of this is your problem. You even have the magic email stating that you didn't know about this.

When they want to include you from the get-go and have your buy-in, then you can own a piece of that.

To CYA, document all of the issues you see with this (basically this post) in an email to your boss and then kick it to him to either push back on or assign it to you as an honest to goodness project that you can then allocate time towards.

Until then, you do nothing.

Oh definitely, I told them the problem they were having was probably related to the share permissions and that the whole thing was "sub optimal". Handily they'd already copied my manager on it for me.

I am interested in who set it up though, for all I know they did it themselves.

chia
Dec 23, 2005

blackswordca posted:

YOTJ:

Interview tomorrow. :yotj: Job is very similar to what I do now, end user support, with server admin roles is the bulk of the job. There are a couple of things I don't have much experience with but I am willing to learn. SQL and webserver maintenance, which shouldn't be bad unless something breaks and support for Auto-Cad which I've never dealt with before. Its for an engineering company that is literally a 30 minute walk from home as well. There is on-call but that is a staple of IT so I'm not surprised. Just researching now for the most annoying part of the interview "How much do you want to make"

Autodesk, heh. I hate their poo poo products more than printers.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

chia posted:

I hate Autodesk more than I hate Adobe. think about that for a bit.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

PTC are worse

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

gently caress FlexLM in their stupid asses. I despise any company that cant be assed to make their own program. Want to upgrade AutoCAD licensing? Might as well roll out a new VM, because gently caress trying to upgrade a half dozen licenses in a FlexLM environment.

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

AutoCAD is a program built with lisp. What's worse than that?

Here's hoping they didn't build their own menu and macroset. If they have guess what 30 year old programming language you will need to learn :v:

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

quote:

Sent: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 9:23 AM
To: IT Support
Subject: Email issues
Importance: High

Hello, IT,

I tried to send an Email to Lady, and I cannot Email her. This is the 3rd or 4th time we have tried to Email someone and have gotten the below message. Lady works for our organization, so Emailing her should not be a problem.

I apologize if I sound nasty, but it has happened to everyone in this office at least once within the last few months. Someone PLEASE help.

If we need to do anything, please let me know, we will be happy to help in anyway to fix this issue.

Thank you so much!

User
Branch Manager

quote:

Sent: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 9:30 AM
To: User; IT Support
Subject: RE: Email issues

In Outlook, please start a new email and begin typing her name. When her name appears on the dropdown list hover over it with the mouse and press ‘Delete’. Do so for any other entries you might have in the dropdown for her. Then click “To:”, look for her name in the address list and double-click it, then send a test email to her that way. Let me know if problems continue after doing this.

Smello

quote:

HI Smello,

I have never Emailed her before, so she is not in my drop down list. I had to click on “To” and find her name.

Thank you so much!

User
Branch Manager

:stare:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Address autocomplete in Outlook was such a bad idea, it made users so goddamn lazy

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

chia posted:

Funnily enough, the only real big issues with AutoCAD I ever had to deal with was how it handled printers!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We upgraded from individual seats of AutoCAD to their floating network licensing. A barrel of fun was to be had.

:suicide:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

go3 posted:

Address autocomplete in Outlook was such a bad idea, it made users so goddamn lazy

"MY CONTACTS!!!"

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
Website Update:

So a few weeks ago the website went dark and today I get a phone call from the admin assistant of the CEO.

:j: Hey Blackswordca, just noticed the websites down, whats up?

:colbert: Hey. Like I said in my email to you guys a month ago, I needed to get paid in full before I would do any more work or renew the domain. You guys ignored me as you normally do when I ask about money so the site expired.

:j: Well I just spoke to the CEO, he said if you bring everything online, he may consider paying you.

:colbert: I think were at the point now where if he pays me what he owes me, I may consider bringing the site back up.

:j: ... I don't think hes going to like that

:colbert: At the end of the day, that isn't my problem. That's the way things are right now. Ill be waiting for a cheque.

I have to admit, that felt good.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

blackswordca posted:

Website Update:

So a few weeks ago the website went dark and today I get a phone call from the admin assistant of the CEO.

:colbert: Hey. Like I said in my email to you guys a month ago, I needed to get paid in full before I would do any more work or renew the domain. You guys ignored me as you normally do when I ask about money so the site expired.

:j: Well I just spoke to the CEO, he said if you bring everything online, he may consider paying you.

:colbert: I think were at the point now where if he pays me what he owes me, I may consider bringing the site back up.

:colbert: At the end of the day, that isn't my problem. That's the way things are right now. Ill be waiting for a cheque.

I actually fistpumped irl when I read this.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em30XL9c5NQ

Edit:

blackswordca posted:

:laffo:

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

Caged posted:

"MY CONTACTS!!!"

I worked at a place where copying the NK2 file to the desktop so that it would get captured in a standard backup was part of the procedures.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

blackswordca posted:

Website Update:

Good for you dude!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Congrats blackswordca. "May consider paying you," give me a loving break. Just like I "may get a raise" if I had stuck around another 6 months :rolleyes:

Caged posted:

"MY CONTACTS!!!"
I need to stop reading this thread. I'm having acid flashbacks.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

blackswordca posted:

Website Update:

This was pretty great to read.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

blackswordca posted:

If there was ever a situation for dealwithit.gif this was it.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Congrats on your new spine!

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Lum posted:

Congrats on your new spine!

Seriously -- it's awesome to see something positive come out of that situation.

Refresh my memory though, this CEO is having his assistant call you for his non-business-related hobby site right? The whole situation has just been a train wreck to read and I hope he calls you again (so you can hang up on him again, and again, and again, ...)

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

FreshFeesh posted:

Seriously -- it's awesome to see something positive come out of that situation.

Refresh my memory though, this CEO is having his assistant call you for his non-business-related hobby site right? The whole situation has just been a train wreck to read and I hope he calls you again (so you can hang up on him again, and again, and again, ...)

Thats pretty much the situation. With my luck, he will call during my interview.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

blackswordca posted:

Website Update:

I'm surprised you didn't start laughing in their face when the ceo may pay you statement was made.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Make them give you a money order because you've had difficulties getting money from them in the past.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

blackswordca posted:

Thats pretty much the situation. With my luck, he will call during my interview.

Turn off you phone.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Literally grinning like a crazy person here at my desk, RE blackswordca's new found spine and confidence.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

blackswordca posted:

I'm of the mind that statement is... suspicious.

"Website's up? Good, here's what the CEO is paying you!" <hands over $18 in Canadian Tire money and a 10% off coupon on Timbits (expired 2 years ago)>

You known drat well they discovered it was down about a week afterwards, herpderped around F5'ing and trying to bring it up via Googlecache, and then kind of tossed it around as the final bullshit at meetings for a while until finally sticking it with the AA.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

A puppy came in... To the bus. Commuting via transit sucks 100% less when you can pet a giant happy black lab therapy dog while stuck in gridlock.

I wish my office was dog friendly.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

b0red posted:

I'm surprised you didn't start laughing in their face when the ceo may pay you statement was made.

I once had a client tell me they would pay my company when they got the source code to the project. My boss actually did laugh at them with me and asked if they thought we were stupid.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

b0red posted:

It took some effort to be honest. But I was trying to remain professional. Didn't want to give them something to cling on to if this gets ugly.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

blackswordca posted:

Website Update:

Good for you, man. It amazes me what people think they can get away with. "May consider paying you." The loving nerve of these people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

blackswordca posted:

Website Update:

blackswordca, your ordeal was worth reading on this thread just so we could all be loving stoked that this was the result.

Some guy on the internet you will never meet is literally grinning like a fool and is happy because a person that he will never meet posted this.

Congratulations on finding your balls! Savor this moment, man. It's a good one!

• Locked thread