Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I was really hoping he would kick through the drywall and go back to work like nothing happened.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Abso-loving-lutely.

There are so many retards in my career that have personally "saved the company" from horrible time management mistakes. Believe it or not people it is not our job to protect overly-aggressive PMs from their own enthusiasm.

The PM promised poo poo without consulting us and then ignored us when we said it wasn't possible? It shouldn't be our problem. But then some rear end in a top hat steps into the breach and works all weekend to meet the ill-conceived deadline and makes the rest of us look bad.

I'll do my honest 8 hours and gently caress trying to save people from themselves.

/grump

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

A request came in from another team:

"Hi we apparently should have made you aware of this but we're trying to package this app for Legal and are having problems, can you assist?"

This is odd because I thought I knew all of the apps legal use, hmmm what's this on the vendor website " local version available - no servers required" how does that work....uh oh.

Turns out for god knows how long we have had two users running an application that uses an ms access backend that is a).mdb so probably liable to corrupt itself b) unknown to anyone in IT c) in a directory named \restore201004\ in a folder full of copies of the db of various ages and d) stored in a shared area that about 50 people have write access to e) has no support contract and is who knows how many updates behind.

What can possibly go wrong?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
I would work late when the project was personally fulfilling. Either a work of personal project. There is a difference between working late because you want to and working late because you feel you have to.

Although now that I am responsible for a tiny tiny human I rarely work past 5.30 for any reason.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

What can possibly go wrong?

Nothing. Because none of this is your problem. You even have the magic email stating that you didn't know about this.

When they want to include you from the get-go and have your buy-in, then you can own a piece of that.

To CYA, document all of the issues you see with this (basically this post) in an email to your boss and then kick it to him to either push back on or assign it to you as an honest to goodness project that you can then allocate time towards.

Until then, you do nothing.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Agrikk posted:

Believe it or not people it is not our job to protect overly-aggressive PMs from their own enthusiasm.

Quite true.

Some of them are really good at making you doubt yourself. Our marketing head decided she didn't like - amongst other things - the fact that it takes time between her asking for something on the website, and me completing the work. Marketing is urgent, she says, it should be done in finger-snapping time. So she says, not in so many words but really not far off, "you're poo poo, so we're going to use an external developer instead" and convinced the powers that be to do so (effectively reducing my responsibilities and multiplying their cost by 10). Part of the reasoning she gave was "GB would take too long, this company promised they'll have the whole website rewritten in 2 weeks". I was thinking "that's ridiculous" and then "well maybe I really am poo poo"

Nothing has moved yet. This was about 4 months ago.

There's just no point in trying to be a hero.

(Why am I so bitter about her and this issue all the time? Well, I caught sight of the document where she made the recommendation. The whole case was basically built on slagging me off as much as possible)

GargleBlaster fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 1, 2013

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

wintermuteCF posted:

You know, I think if you set up some sort of donation site, just about everyone in this thread would kick in a dollar to help fund your well-deserved "Welp, looks like it's gently caress This poo poo O'Clock" bender.
I'd be way more willing to donate to a fund like this than to buy a bottle opener.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
SCSH Trust Fund 2013: Buying booze and resumes for the truly needy.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Agrikk posted:

Nothing. Because none of this is your problem. You even have the magic email stating that you didn't know about this.

When they want to include you from the get-go and have your buy-in, then you can own a piece of that.

To CYA, document all of the issues you see with this (basically this post) in an email to your boss and then kick it to him to either push back on or assign it to you as an honest to goodness project that you can then allocate time towards.

Until then, you do nothing.

Oh definitely, I told them the problem they were having was probably related to the share permissions and that the whole thing was "sub optimal". Handily they'd already copied my manager on it for me.

I am interested in who set it up though, for all I know they did it themselves.

chia
Dec 23, 2005

blackswordca posted:

YOTJ:

Interview tomorrow. :yotj: Job is very similar to what I do now, end user support, with server admin roles is the bulk of the job. There are a couple of things I don't have much experience with but I am willing to learn. SQL and webserver maintenance, which shouldn't be bad unless something breaks and support for Auto-Cad which I've never dealt with before. Its for an engineering company that is literally a 30 minute walk from home as well. There is on-call but that is a staple of IT so I'm not surprised. Just researching now for the most annoying part of the interview "How much do you want to make"

Autodesk, heh. I hate their poo poo products more than printers.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

chia posted:

Autodesk, heh. I hate their poo poo products more than printers.

I hate Autodesk more than I hate Adobe. think about that for a bit.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

PTC are worse

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

gently caress FlexLM in their stupid asses. I despise any company that cant be assed to make their own program. Want to upgrade AutoCAD licensing? Might as well roll out a new VM, because gently caress trying to upgrade a half dozen licenses in a FlexLM environment.

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

AutoCAD is a program built with lisp. What's worse than that?

Here's hoping they didn't build their own menu and macroset. If they have guess what 30 year old programming language you will need to learn :v:

zzMisc