Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Mister Bates posted:

They are both terrible, though. It's just that the Democrats are significantly less terrible. I rather like the way one Australian electoral cartoon I saw described their own major parties - the Total Scumbags Party versus the Partial Scumbags Party. The Partial Scumbags are still scumbags, but they're better than the Total Scumbags, and I'll support the Partial Scumbags Party over the Total Scumbags Party any day.

Fun fact that was an edit. The original was Partial Bastards vs. Total Bastards. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Had someone on FB complaining that he wouldn't be able to afford Obamacare (he hant looked into it) after he gets off his parents insurance when he turns 26. Then he went full truther Alex Jones because it threw him into a gubment rage. I pointed out that he was able to use his parents' insurance until 26 because of Obamacare otherwise he would have needed his own. Dead silence has followed.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
The republicans are literally willing to let people die of preventable illnesses in order to look tough for their constituents. Clearly both sides are equally bad.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Soviet Commubot posted:

I've had a banner day for dumb poo poo on Facebook. Frank Furter in this is my aunt and I think it's hilarious how casually she takes the possibility of Obama declaring martial law tomorrow with an army of foreign brownshirts.

Hell yeah, FEMA Region V! :toot:

Gonna kick all the other FEMA regions' asses, I tell you hwhat.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Nice Davis posted:

The Tributes from FEMA IV will step all over the scrubs from V, I poo poo you not.

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

Nice Davis posted:

drat straight. :cool::respek::cool:

Get outta here with that weak rear end Region IV propaganda

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Gen. Ripper posted:

Fun fact that was an edit. The original was Partial Bastards vs. Total Bastards. :v:

One of our old political parties said that their entire purpose was, and this is a direct quote, to "keep the bastards honest".

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

tiberion02 posted:

drat straight. :cool::respek::cool:

Get outta here with that weak rear end Region IV propaganda

gently caress all y'all, Region V 4lyfe! :killdozer:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I like the sound of "Region X"

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I like the sound of "Region X"

The fightin' Tenths!

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Mister Bates posted:

They are both terrible, though. It's just that the Democrats are significantly less terrible. I rather like the way one Australian electoral cartoon I saw described their own major parties - the Total Scumbags Party versus the Partial Scumbags Party. The Partial Scumbags are still scumbags, but they're better than the Total Scumbags, and I'll support the Partial Scumbags Party over the Total Scumbags Party any day.

Oh man, I'm glad Good Cop is here. He sure is looking out for me and my interests.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Radish posted:

I really like Mario Speedwagon.

Also I'm sure in 1 day that person will admit to being fooled by the fact that the country wasn't taken over by FEMA.

The person who posted that is cautiously optimistic that Obama isn't deploying his foreign stormtroopers today but other people aren't so sure.

edit: Region V represent.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.
Can't hold down the "Lucky 7s" of Region VII! This is our year, we're training hard and who am I kidding, we don't have a chance, just please Lord don't let us humiliate ourselves again this year

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
The Navy is flying a blimp around the Maryland area for some sort of mapping mission and some of the "really, really ought to be receiving help for their mental health issues" people have been flipping out because FEMA death camps. Blimps are definitely the go-to marketing tool for that crowd :allears:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I have found reports on snopes that favor obama, the only explanation is that they're biased (and not that there's an entire wing of the media devoted to spreading misinformation about him)

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

There really is a sense in the right wing echo chamber that the US population overwhelmingly feels the way they do about Obama and that sort of person is honestly surprised when someone doesn't think he's an Islamomarxist.

I also like the "obama (small o intended) thing. It's like some sort of pagan magic, names have power and if you diminish the name you diminish the power of the person whose name it is. I think the whole Barry Soetero thing fits into this somehow, like knowing a demon's true name gives you power or protection against it.

nyquil hangover
Jun 27, 2013

sick but sociable
I've seen a lot of "BOTH PARTIES ARE EQUALLY AT FAULT!!!" false equivalencies today. I think it's just a way for people to feel like they're smart and politically informed without having to deal with any actual discussion. That, or they watch too much South Park.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Soviet Commubot posted:

The person who posted that is cautiously optimistic that Obama isn't deploying his foreign stormtroopers today but other people aren't so sure.

edit: Region V represent.

"Small 'o' intended" gets me every time.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Who What Now posted:

"Small 'o' intended" gets me every time.

I wasn't sure if that guy hated the president so I'm glad he found some way to make that clear

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

Nice Davis posted:

I gotta tell you Davis, I like FEMA IV in this scenario. Never bet against the SEC on defense against the UN's blue helmets.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Nice Davis posted:

Let 'em all go to hell, except cave 76!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Region X will poo poo on your heads. :cool:

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

nyquil hangover posted:

I've seen a lot of "BOTH PARTIES ARE EQUALLY AT FAULT!!!" false equivalencies today. I think it's just a way for people to feel like they're smart and politically informed without having to deal with any actual discussion. That, or they watch too much South Park.

I have a friend that blames "Congress, the czars, head of the IRS, AG, Secy of State, VP and POTUS". I don't think he knows what half of those positions actually are, though.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Region VIII "More cows then people"

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Soviet Commubot posted:

There really is a sense in the right wing echo chamber that the US population overwhelmingly feels the way they do about Obama and that sort of person is honestly surprised when someone doesn't think he's an Islamomarxist.

I also like the "obama (small o intended) thing. It's like some sort of pagan magic, names have power and if you diminish the name you diminish the power of the person whose name it is. I think the whole Barry Soetero thing fits into this somehow, like knowing a demon's true name gives you power or protection against it.

See also: Jon LEIBOWITZ :smug:

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013
Region V sittin on all the fresh water and iron whatup

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

The Navy is flying a blimp around the Maryland area for some sort of mapping mission and some of the "really, really ought to be receiving help for their mental health issues" people have been flipping out because FEMA death camps. Blimps are definitely the go-to marketing tool for that crowd :allears:

Just respond to all their emails with "Amazing, amazing."

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My conservative friends on Facebook are complaining that Obama caused the shutdown. Nope not a congress issue at all!

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Is there a good source for explaining that government finances =/= individual finances? I'm trying to explain this to a friend who just posted "How does raising the debt ceiling NOT impact people again? Let me pay my Visa with MasterCard."

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't have any conservative friends or acquaintances and sometimes I think that's a bit odd, that other view-points might be interesting. Then I read this thread and thank go for the ideological purity that is my extended social circle.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

ZDar Fan posted:

Is there a good source for explaining that government finances =/= individual finances? I'm trying to explain this to a friend who just posted "How does raising the debt ceiling NOT impact people again? Let me pay my Visa with MasterCard."

I've found this surprisingly effective lately.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...y-weird-family/

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Thanks, that's an excellent piece!

Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe
I've got some friends on Facebook that are currently in a state of panic about this Heritage Foundation study about how Obamacare is going to penalize people for getting married: http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2010/01/the-new-federal-wedding-tax-how-obamacare-would-dramatically-penalize-marriage

Yeah, I know, Heritage.org, but apparently the marriage penalty for taxes exists and has for quite some time. Is there a decent thing I can post to explain/counter this?

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Here's a law case referenced in the Wikipedia article on the marriage penalty:

http://openjurist.org/697/f2d/46/druker-v-commissioner-of-internal-revenue - US Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit: the marriage penalty is not unconstitutional

The issue dates back to at least the mid-1970s, based on the information in the case. So clearly Bill Ayers was already starting the conspiracy with the young Obama it didn't originate with Obama.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Got the latest sent at me as a response to me saying that people are going to starve due to lack of foodstamps due to the government shutdown. Rebuttals? On the surface, an anecdote about one fraudster is not fraud statistics, most programs have work requirements/deal with kids/the disabled/the elderly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP_izYhdehY

nyquil hangover
Jun 27, 2013

sick but sociable
Does anyone have anything that proves that Congress is not exempt from Obamacare? My classmate does not trust Snopes.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

nyquil hangover posted:

Does anyone have anything that proves that Congress is not exempt from Obamacare? My classmate does not trust Snopes.

You could post the relevant passage of the law as passed. v:shobon:v

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

I've got a guy doing the "Democrats had 6 years to pass a budget and couldn't" line. Any references I could use to point out to them the filibustering that went on and how many times it went on?

Edit: Even with my terrible Google-Fu, I found this one as a starting point:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bob-cesca/republicans-filibuster-ev_b_2018663.html

Ratmtattat fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 1, 2013

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

nyquil hangover posted:

http://www.hagan.senate.gov/files/PPACA/MythFact.pdf On the fourth page and references the relevant section of the law. Hits some of the other common myths too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!
Here's one from Forbes which they might respect more:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2011/12/08/congress-exempted-from-obamacare/

Also, the actual text of the law, section 1312 (from http://www.hhs.gov/healthcare/rights/law/index.html ):

quote:

16 (D) MEMBERS OF CONGRESS IN THE EX-
17 CHANGE.—
18 (i) REQUIREMENT.—Notwithstanding
19 any other provision of law, after the effec-
20 tive date of this subtitle, the only health
21 plans that the Federal Government may
22 make available to Members of Congress and
23 congressional staff with respect to their serv-
24 ice as a Member of Congress or congres-
25 sional staff shall be health plans that are— 158
HR 3590 EAS/PP