Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Archonex posted:

It's funny because she's technically right. Some people might blame the Democrats, but they've been holding the moral high ground here for almost the entirety of the event by virtue of actually following the intentions behind the democratic process and not capitulating to what was essentially political blackmail.

So most people are going to blame the Republicans, who specifically engineered a crisis and then took it to its batshit insane and destructive conclusion. And yet, despite that, she says it in such a way that makes it obvious she's an rear end in a top hat with no real capability for empathy or sympathy for the people getting dicked over.

Why am I not surprised it's a Fox News contributor?

She used to be my favorite talk-show when I was an rear end in a top hat conservative in High School; She's got some serious rage and it seem like she meant it as opposed to Rush and Sean who seemed to be more laid-back. I've actually got some of her "books" and thought she was a sign of Republican equal treatment for women :psyduck:

I was a loving retard back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

PrinceRandom posted:

She used to be my favorite talk-show when I was an rear end in a top hat conservative in High School; She's got some serious rage and it seem like she meant it as opposed to Rush and Sean who seemed to be more laid-back. I've actually got some of her "books" and thought she was a sign of Republican equal treatment for women :psyduck:

I was a loving retard back then.

It's okay I had same high school politics. I had Malkins and Coulters books. I watched Hannity and Oreilly every night.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

It's okay I had same high school politics. I had Malkins and Coulters books. I watched Hannity and Oreilly every night.

Amateurs, the lot of you. I was a full blown AnCap in high school. Nothing but Van Mises and Lew Rockwell, with a heavy dose of Pat Buchananian dog whistle racism for this goon. :smug:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I believed in what probably amounts to Anarcho-Libertarianism in high school. I think we were all a bit dumber when we were 16 or whatever.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

You can add George Will to Fox News' cast of lemmings

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/george-will-jumps-from-abc-to-fox-news_b198716

quote:

Political columnist and author George Will is joining Fox News as a contributor, executive vice president of news Michael Clemente announced today. Will jumps to Fox News after more than 30 years at ABC News, where he was a political commentator and panelist for “This Week.”

“We are delighted to have someone of George’s stature join FOX News. His wisdom is enduring and his achievements are far too long to list,” Clemente said in a statement.

“As all his readers know, George is brilliant. Those of us lucky enough to work with him also know that he’s a consummate gentleman,” George Stephanopoulos told TVNewser in a statement. “I learned from him every week, and wish him all good things.”

He will appear across all FNC programming, including as a panelist on “Special Report with Bret Baier” and “Fox News Sunday with Chris Wallace.”

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
Rush was fairly meh today, he just repeated talking points on the shutdown and dedicated a segment to pointing out how terrible the healthcare.gov rollout was going. The best part was when Obama did his rose garden speech and he cribbed a line from it:

quote:

RUSH: Obama just was in the Rose Garden. Listen to this. I think there's somebody that lives in his head rent free.

OBAMA: Apple rolled out a new mobile operating system, and within days they found a glitch. So, they fixed it. I don't remember anybody suggesting Apple should stop selling iPhones or iPads, or threatening to shut down the company if they didn't. That's not how we do things in America. We don't actively root for failure!

RUSH: "We don't actively root for failure." Yes, we did. Yes, we did, and we still do. But Apple did not have a "glitch" in their operating system that anybody knew about. This is a gross mischaracterization. Apple did not have... Those of you who've loaded iOS 7, what's the glitch? What went wrong? You can't name anything, outside maybe your installation time. There's no glitch with it. Not that you would notice.

That's because some troll was sitting out and found out that if you punch of "home" button twice and then scroll up to the Control Center and hit on the Camera icon and then hit the "home" button twice and the power button three times, you can get into the camera. There is not one user who's gonna be go through any of that to try to use the camera. All they're gonna do is hit the camera icon.

So Apple issued a patch that shut down that. It was called a security glitch. Somebody might be able to get into your camera. Another person said you might be able to get into the telephone and make a phone call and then might have access to the contact list on the phone. But the hoops that people would have to go through to get that are huge. You know, somebody that's sitting out there with pimples on his face and in his blue jeans or underwear all day long gets his phone.

He gets iOS 7 and sits there for 15 hours trying to figure out how to defeat it be with comes up with this convoluted thing and issues a story saying, "There's a security flaw in the iPhone." There was no glitch. This is common for updates in new operating systems.
I'm not defending Apple, but I'm telling you: Apple isn't forcing anybody to pay for their mistakes. Apple is not forcing anybody to buy their phones or their iPads or use their operating system, and Apple doesn't fine anybody that doesn't.

Apple's never threatened anybody with jail time. For the president of the United States to sit there and compare his boondoggle of a program to the most valuable company in the world and the highest brand... Apple just zoomed past Coca-Cola in brand favorability, and ID. They're head of Exxon has the most valuable. They're worth more than any other company. But it's all been because people have chosen their products. We don't have a choice with Obamacare.

Not only did we not have a choice, we gotta put up with the incompetence that we run into and encounter when we're forced to use it. "Apple Computer, you know, they rolled out a new operating system, found a glitch, and they fixed it. That's what we're working on." Fixed the glitch? You wouldn't know how to fix the glitch. You guys don't even admit you got a glitch. That's your problem.

You people on the left are a glitch. Liberalism is a glitch. We're faced with the biggest drat glitch every drat day in this country. What's the fix for it. Hell, everybody out here is just doing their best to try to stay as unaffected by it as they can.
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2013/10/01/obama_americans_don_t_root_for_failure
:bahgawd: Apple's OS has a software glitch and they fixed it. On the first day healthcare.gov has a :airquote:glitch:airquote: indicating to Real Americans that the entire program is a failure! REPEAL AND REPLACE!!!
It was also great that the last paragraph about liberals was spoken with pure bile. I honestly thought he was going to lose his poo poo on air :allears:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

quote:

Not only did we not have a choice

You did, the problem was it was called Mitt Romney.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

rush posted:

Apple's never threatened anybody with jail time.

Other than that one guy who got four years in prison for the iPad/att thing.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Rush is a huge Apple fanboy, it's almost as though Obama made that remark to annoy him.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
This was fun:

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/ben-stein-hammers-emily-miller-over-gops-child-in-a-playground-nonsense/

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

SedanChair posted:

Rush is a huge Apple fanboy, it's almost as though Obama made that remark to annoy him.

I know those aren't like actual commercials he records, but Apple has to be paying him, right? I mean, he gives away Ipads and I-laptops or whatever so there has to be some official association and he isn't just giving poo poo away out of the goodness of his heart.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Wow. I hate Ben Stein but that is ballsy of him to publicly state that he supports UHC and that it was a Republican idea back in the 70s.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Rush is also a huge Francophile. However moronic he may be, he does have some bourgeois tastes.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Ben Stein is a shithead, but he is an ivory tower fiscal pragmatist bootstrapper, not an obstructionist anti-government ideologue.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

ReindeerF posted:

Rush is also a huge Francophile. However moronic he may be, he does have some bourgeois tastes.

Isn't that just since they tried to ban the burqa there?
My conservapop has a weird affection for France as well, probably for this reason and their general cultural conservatism. I don't want to tell him the difference between cultures worth conserving and those than aren't.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Wow. I hate Ben Stein but that is ballsy of him to publicly state that he supports UHC and that it was a Republican idea back in the 70s.

For that clip I think I hated the moderator more. Emily's clearly a shill for the Tea Party/GOP, but the host there ended with a "well that was a great debate, I think a lot people side with Emily, and a lot with Ben, blah blah blah", as if those are the only two ideologically opposed viewpoints to be found. It's so loving disingenuous, it's exactly what Jon Stewart lambasted Crossfire for years back, and I still, somehow, can't believe how blatantly unapologetic the network is about it.

"We have two Republicans to debate whether or not the Government should shut down" <-- CNN's idea of promoting a healthy dialogue that represents the majority of Americans.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

agarjogger posted:

Isn't that just since they tried to ban the burqa there?
My conservapop has a weird affection for France as well, probably for this reason and their general cultural conservatism. I don't want to tell him the difference between cultures worth conserving and those than aren't.

No, it's because his personal tastes are hilariously opulent and effete.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Pander posted:

For that clip I think I hated the moderator more. Emily's clearly a shill for the Tea Party/GOP, but the host there ended with a "well that was a great debate, I think a lot people side with Emily, and a lot with Ben, blah blah blah", as if those are the only two ideologically opposed viewpoints to be found. It's so loving disingenuous, it's exactly what Jon Stewart lambasted Crossfire for years back, and I still, somehow, can't believe how blatantly unapologetic the network is about it.

"We have two Republicans to debate whether or not the Government should shut down" <-- CNN's idea of promoting a healthy dialogue that represents the majority of Americans.

Because the "news" networks will lose money if they call people out on their bullshit outside of some kind of explicit editorial segment. It sucks and I wish truth trumped money but this is the world we live in.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Elephant Ambush posted:

Because the "news" networks will lose money if they call people out on their bullshit outside of some kind of explicit editorial segment. It sucks and I wish truth trumped money but this is the world we live in.

Hell, even NPR has Tea Party-types on and lets them talk like they've got anything legitimate to say. It's loving infuriating. No self-respectin' red-blooded conservative listens to NPR anyway, so who the gently caress are they trying to placate with this hand-wringing "ooohhh maybe we should listen to the other side or they will openly disparage us" bullshit?

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Monkey Fracas posted:

Hell, even NPR has Tea Party-types on and lets them talk like they've got anything legitimate to say. It's loving infuriating. No self-respectin' red-blooded conservative listens to NPR anyway, so who the gently caress are they trying to placate with this hand-wringing "ooohhh maybe we should listen to the other side or they will openly disparage us" bullshit?

They cannot stand to be called the liberal media. Every time they hear it they crabwalk further to the right. They also apparently suffer editorial control by the worst of all possible corporate owners, the House GOP.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Monkey Fracas posted:

Crossposting from the GOP Rebuilding thread:

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is the apex of Fox News spin.

"A shutdown? No sir, what we have here is a slimdown and that's what we all wanted! Hopefully the slimdown never ends! Soldier on, brave patriots!"

This is some incredibly bold truth manipulation and I'm beside myself with incredulous anger here.

It's a slimdown in the same sense that anorexia is a dieting technique.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

agarjogger posted:

They cannot stand to be called the liberal media. Every time they hear it they crabwalk further to the right. They also apparently suffer editorial control by the worst of all possible corporate owners, the House GOP.

"Whew, ok, now that we have our regularly scheduled segment where we cower like children in the face of conservative media, lets get back to our hard-hitting piece on poetry about commuter biking"

I'm really considering just not listening to NPR any more, but there's literally nothing else on the radio worth tuning in to other than the local Gen-X-y rock station (93.1 Chicago, not bad) or the local Spanish stations so I can keep up with the language (and wacky morning Spanish shows are like wacky morning English shows ^10, which amuses me).

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Have you not been listening to Diane Rehm and Fresh Air lately? NPR is still awesome.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I turned off NPR sometime last year. The only media I can tolerate these days is Talking Points Memo, The Atlantic, and maybe Mother Jones. I also like watching The Young Turks. Liberal talk isn't terrible either. Randi Rhodes, Thom Hartmann, and I recently discovered Norman Goldman. They're not always perfect, but far better than anything else I've discovered.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sir Tonk posted:

Have you not been listening to Diane Rehm and Fresh Air lately? NPR is still awesome.

I will certainly concede the point that it's miles better than anything I can tune into on the FM or AM frequencies, but my god is that a low bar.

Diane Rehm and Fresh Air are somewhat consistently good

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Monkey Fracas posted:

I'm really considering just not listening to NPR any more, but there's literally nothing else on the radio worth tuning in to other than the local Gen-X-y rock station (93.1 Chicago, not bad) or the local Spanish stations so I can keep up with the language (and wacky morning Spanish shows are like wacky morning English shows ^10, which amuses me).

It's the only actual "content" on terrestrial radio so I do kind of rely on them. Some shows do say not-nice things about Republicans, "On the Media" comes to mind.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

agarjogger posted:

It's the only actual "content" on terrestrial radio so I do kind of rely on them. Some shows do say not-nice things about Republicans, "On the Media" comes to mind.

There are always a few barebones news/weather/traffic AM stations wherever you are in the country, between the bizarre religious stations and the ConservaRadio, but they're really not worth listening to unless you're trying to tune into a football game or something. I do sorta have a certain affinity for WGN, though.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Monkey Fracas posted:

Diane Rehm and Fresh Air are somewhat consistently good

You can hear how old she is.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Business Gorillas posted:

You can hear how old she is.

She suffers from spasmodic dysphonia.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
If you stopped listening to NPR, you owe it to yourself to listen to Diane Rehm's show on the income gap. It was one of the best hours I've ever heard on FM radio. Like, the entire hour was amazing and pretty much exactly what I want from NPR/PBS.

http://thedianerehmshow.org/shows/2013-09-12/implications-americas-new-gilded-age

PeterWeller posted:

She suffers from spasmodic dysphonia.

Well, she's still old, but yeah.

Also, if you haven't seen this skit that Terry Gross did for Sleepwalk With Me, you need to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTVFNZKuN-g

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

kik2dagroin posted:

Rush was fairly meh today, he just repeated talking points on the shutdown and dedicated a segment to pointing out how terrible the healthcare.gov rollout was going. The best part was when Obama did his rose garden speech and he cribbed a line from it:

Apple's OS has a software glitch and they fixed it. On the first day healthcare.gov has a :airquote:glitch:airquote: indicating to Real Americans that the entire program is a failure! REPEAL AND REPLACE!!!

I heard this bullshit too. So, it's the first day of a gigantic government roll out of a massive online insurance plan involving and affecting millions of people, and Rush is shocked that the system is overloaded for some individuals trying to access it. I guess he's never tried to buy concert tickets online or been on a SomethingAwful thread on election night.

What a disingenuous, intellectually dishonest, self-serving sellout shell of a turd of a human being.

Have any of the usual suspects been touting the line that Demcorats shut down the government? Because that's what I've been expecting to hear.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

Have any of the usual suspects been touting the line that Demcorats shut down the government? Because that's what I've been expecting to hear.

The entire media.

As in, the right-wing media plus CNN, NBC, ABC et al.

:negative:

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

BiggerBoat posted:

I heard this bullshit too. So, it's the first day of a gigantic government roll out of a massive online insurance plan involving and affecting millions of people, and Rush is shocked that the system is overloaded for some individuals trying to access it. I guess he's never tried to buy concert tickets online or been on a SomethingAwful thread on election night.

What a disingenuous, intellectually dishonest, self-serving sellout shell of a turd of a human being.

I overheard some dopes on Fox regurgitating this same line of argument, complete with some bullshit "This is why we tried to delay it so long!" remark.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Savage is pretty good tonight. "I am the architect of the new America! Buy my books drat it!"

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Pander posted:

It's something they're proud of when talking to the tea party, but extremely fearful of when it comes to a broader populace. So they try to soften the blow with poo poo like that. Just a SLIMDOWN. Just like how the sequester was all roses after that whole "airline delays" thing got ironed out.

So you're saying it's kind of like that scene in "Office Space" where the nerd is jamming loudly to his gansta rap in his car, but as soon as he is at a stoplight next to some other car he turns down the volume and looks sheepish?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zwabu posted:

So you're saying it's kind of like that scene in "Office Space" where the nerd is jamming loudly to his gansta rap in his car, but as soon as he is at a stoplight next to some other car he turns down the volume and looks sheepish?

This was because a black guy walked by. He also locked his door.

E: so even more yes

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Zwabu posted:

You could apply that metaphor to the Republican party in general.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Zwabu posted:

Even better, he was rapping along to to an Ice Cube song, n-bombs and all and then a black guy selling roses walks by the car so he turns down the volume and sinks down in his seat.

:edit: wow, didn't realize I had the window open so long without refreshing.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Levin had Senator Lee on tonight who was delivering a talking point about how the Dems won't compermise or talk to them and literally finished his statement '''And I will not vote for any bill that offers any funding to Obamacare.'''
Almost yelled at my radio. Also I'm mad how they think that piecemeal bills are compromising. Lee went on how he wants to keep funding the programs that have bipartisan support so that they can talk about the other issues. (Read: I want to only fund the things I like, and by mitigating the most unpalatable effects of the shut-down I can find a back door to not fund any of your silly programs.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gen. Ripper posted:

The entire media.

As in, the right-wing media plus CNN, NBC, ABC et al.

:negative:

This is The Truth and also The Worst. gently caress our collective popular media.