Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

11BulletCatcher posted:

The front passenger is the one I'll be doing.

Well, take some time to adjust the shoes while you're in there, do all four while you're at it. For front wheels I've been told that you want enough drag that when you spin the wheel as hard as you can (with it in the air obv) it will spin 1.5 revolutions. You'll have to improvise the rears, since the axle will give you some drag there. I wouldn't be surprised that your issues with the parking brake not working is just from the shoes being way out of adjustment. That was the case for me, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
New tires on my truck Friday! P265/70/17 Firestone Destination A/T

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007
Dad bought a Nissan NV2500 for a new work truck. Today we pulled the racks and panels off of one side to stuff foam insulation in.

Then covered the 1/8in masonite panels with some scrap laminate we had.

It got dark, so those were all the pics I grabbed. Also started putting in 2 layers of R4 foam board on the roof, which we'll cover with some more 1/8 or 1/4 masonite.
He could only find the truck he wanted in black or white, and didn't want white. But it gets pretty drat hot in there right now. At noon, you could feel the heat radiating in from the roof. Next project is either white vinyl or plasti-dip on the roof top. Then finish insulating the interior.a

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

DropShadow posted:

Nothing to my car, but I did receive and mount two tire racks in my garage to get some wheels off the floor. Got them off Amazon for $45 each: http://amzn.com/B0058BMNVU

I'm used to seeing the Tire Rack version that is well over $100. How strong are they? Any flimsiness at all?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Replaced the brake fluid reservoir on the Niva, found some coolant leaks and had yet another failed attempt at fixing the radiator.
Tried to check the tyre pressures with a different gauge but the gauge kind of exploded. Cheap piece of crap I've never used before. I reckon it was made out of a chromed tin can and very low budget plastic. Absolute rubbish. I have good ones but they are AWOL.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Changed some bulbs on the Volvo V70, then noticed a rattly/squealy sound from under the hood. Have zero time to gently caress with it so took it to the shop only to find out either the a/c compressor or the freewheel pulley on the generator is about to bite the dust. Apparently the D5 diesels are designed so that when the accessory belt snaps it has a decent likelihood of smashing the timing belt cover and tangling itself in there with fairly disastrous effects (the D5 being an interference engine). Nice work, Volvo engineers; was a simple steel shield or something too expensive to slap in there?

Gotta say the V70 is the most shadetree-unfriendly vehicle I have ever owned. Practically nothing on that vehicle is easily accessible.

Also need to investigate a potential fuel pressure loss on the 928. It has to crank for 6-10 seconds if it's been sitting for an hour or two. Cold, it fires immediately, and after 10-15 mins of sitting no problems either. So, guessing it has a small leak, likely in the fuel accumulator, causing the pressure to drop over time and allowing for vapor lock. Pretty simple to get to though. Porsche really did a nice job making things easily accessible ARE YOU LISTENING YOU loving VOLVO ENGINEERS?

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 30, 2013

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Noticed my soft top straps were disintegrating the other day, so I ordered up a set from modify that don't require a new roof to put in and put them in today. I have a couple wear spots in the roof though, so I need to order some patch material now :smith:

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
Yesterday and last night. Flattened out (or dished) then bondo'ed all 14 freaking wing holes (USDM 3 pc wing + 98 JDM wing = 14 holes apparently) and got started on vinyl wrapping.

Unfortunately, the vinyl we're using was discarded for a good reason. I want satin red, but the vinyl scraps we have are a combination of gloss red and a satin overlay. So its extra thick, and difficult to work with. Two layers means the perforations which are supposed to let air bubbles bleed out are completely clogged. Also, I didn't have any vinyl primer on hand, so the edges are lifting and peeling up.

Need to order new single-layer satin red vinyl, and wait for my vinyl primer to arrive.

Gonna go wingless.

LessThanThree
May 2, 2005

'till infinity
Washed (twice), clayed, waxed. First time doing it, think it turned out well. Sorry for the rather washed out pics:

Bonus photobombin' lancer

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Mat_Drinks posted:

I'm used to seeing the Tire Rack version that is well over $100. How strong are they? Any flimsiness at all?

The instructions say not to mount the two sides between 32" and 48" apart. My studs are exactly 48" apart, so I was a little nervous. Luckily, there is plenty of overlap in the bars that the tires sit on, so I'm not worried. The kit comes with six 3" lag bolts for mounting, and once everything was in, there was no movement. With all 8 wheels and tires mounted, they feel pretty solid. The manufacturer makes more heavy-duty racks, but I liked that these could be folded up flat against the wall. I originally planned to mount them somewhere that I might actually need to fold them, but was able to make them fit in the corner so I likely won't ever have to fold them up, unless I get rid of one set of wheels. The ones on top are the original ugly wheels that came with my car, and the bottom ones are my winter set, so the top ones probably won't go anywhere until I sell them or the car.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Removed the bumper-mount hitch, and installed a proper receiver hitch culled from the wrecking yard on my Cherokee.

..and added a cover picked up on clearance from Northern Tool. I had to.

Still also digging the bedliner I put on the bumpers.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
Installed an exhaust silencer

http://www.amazon.com/Skunk-2-415991485-Exhaust-Silencer/dp/B001P2EZS0/

I felt bad about installing a 'skunk2' part on a 'yota but if anybody knows how to shut up angry bees its a company that makes silencers for Hondas.

had this kit installed professionally

http://twosrus.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_32&products_id=74

The site sent me two left hand tie rod ends =X so my mechanic had to order one locally..

Also had front pads and rotors swapped out. Sooooo much better now. Can drive it like an rear end in a top hat with confidence.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?
What did I do? Well, I got these:

I went to a local monthly car show, got a third place trophy for the "Under Construction" class of cars and my car was singled out as one of the owner's favorites at the show, hence the medallion.

GTi_guy
Oct 21, 2003

avas ye, matey
I changed the clutch master cylinder on the NSX.

Goddamn, I should have paid someone to do this. It started out fine but there was a Cotter pin on the pedal that only Jesus himself could undo, then bench bleeding it was an unmitigated disaster.

Finally, when it was all installed, I had to bleed the master cylinder by way of removing the driver side rear wheel.

What should have taken an hour took six.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Not just today but tried to fix the radiator on the Niva yet again and failed. There's one spot which just refuses to bond with solder no matter how much I clean it.
Today I found the cabin end of the CB coax. The passenger side quarter window latch also fell off again.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Well apparently you can't just stroll into the local box auto parts store and pick up nylon fuel line, so I didn't put my fuel tank back in.

However, I did rotate some tires on my car, and wired up an LED hi-mount brake light on the headache rack of my flatbed. I love how they illuminate instantly, and how it's perceptibly faster than the bulbs in my normal brake lights. I still have to wrap the wires in electrical tape to clean up my wiring job though.

I also added some power steering fluid to my wifes car, and topped off the oil. Of course, one day after I add oil the oil change light comes on as the interval is up. Since it's a dumb computer that's essentially an hour meter, I think I'll skip it, and just reset the light. 1/4 of all the oil in that car is brand new!

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
Started off Saturday replacing the Wife's SRS computer as she had a little "incident" with a curb that just jumped out in front of her.

After that I topped off her coolant. Thanks Skunk2 for making this accessible :v:

Then it was time for a timing belt/water pump/valve lash job on the track slut.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?
Hey, fellow old Impala owners, do your neighbors/friends/fellow college students/coworkers make Supernatural comments about your cars? I swear it's like every couple of seconds for me. Apparently its even become a thing at my school to take pics and make a comment about the Winchesters. It wouldn't bother me at all if my car was actually a '67 and not a '63

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

11BulletCatcher posted:

Hey, fellow old Impala owners, do your neighbors/friends/fellow college students/coworkers make Supernatural comments about your cars? I swear it's like every couple of seconds for me. Apparently its even become a thing at my school to take pics and make a comment about the Winchesters. It wouldn't bother me at all if my car was actually a '67 and not a '63

No, I guess you guys watch more TV than my friends do :shobon:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Been having idle issues for awhile, especially with the a/c on. Seems to be a common thing on Ecotecs with DBW.

Hey, where'd my throttle body go?

Oh, there it is. Nice and clean now, didn't get a before picture. Honestly didn't think it was that bad, but the engine doesn't stumble when the a/c engages now. Only worrying thing is the idle shot up to about 2000 on the first start (engine was still warm), and over a few minutes, slowwwwwly dropped to about 700-800. Kicked on the a/c and it didn't even flinch, whereas before it would drop way down and nearly stall.

Next project:

Original belt, 78k miles, build date of 6/05. :downsgun: I'll tackle that on my next day off.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Oct 8, 2013

Pretty Boy Floyd
Mar 21, 2006
If you'll gather round me children...
In the process of rebuilding the transmission on my 71 fiat spider, and I proceeded to stab myself with a screwdriver bit several times when trying to extract a bolt that broke off in a fork shaft. God I'm a moron.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

some texas redneck posted:

Been having idle issues for awhile, especially with the a/c on. Seems to be a common thing on Ecotecs with DBW.

Oh, there it is. Nice and clean now, didn't get a before picture. Honestly didn't think it was that bad, but the engine doesn't stumble when the a/c engages now. Only worrying thing is the idle shot up to about 2000 on the first start (engine was still warm), and over a few minutes, slowwwwwly dropped to about 700-800. Kicked on the a/c and it didn't even flinch, whereas before it would drop way down and nearly stall.

Next project:

Original belt, 78k miles, build date of 6/05. :downsgun: I'll tackle that on my next day off.

If the idle goes high again then maybe you should worry. Otherwise it's probably just from the extra air it's getting at idle because the crap was cleared. It takes a nothingth of a mm difference with a butterfly to affect idle a lot.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It turns out the lincoln wheels truely are universal! :haw:

And this was the dumbest thing i've ever done to a car, i got the tire repaired to keep the lincoln mobile:

With all the adapters tight, most of the holes were completely off.

The lugs aren't even really that tight in the holes, and the adapters had to be loose for the wheel to even fit on, meaning the wheel could be up or down as much as a few millimeters, and off angle as much as a few millimeters.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

I thought uni-lugs were dumb. Now I know they are a fantastic idea.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

some texas redneck posted:

Was it dirtier than mine?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

General_Failure posted:

If the idle goes high again then maybe you should worry. Otherwise it's probably just from the extra air it's getting at idle because the crap was cleared. It takes a nothingth of a mm difference with a butterfly to affect idle a lot.

It got a lot worse - idled at 2000 rpm, went into limp mode, flashing CEL...

Turns out engines don't like it when the TB gasket gets pinched. :downs: Also turns out that sourcing a new gasket (outside of the dealer or Rockauto) is a PITA - I finally found an O'Reilly's that had one in stock about 20 minutes away.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

It looked brand new compared to that. :barf:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

That's about how dirty my TJ's throttle body was when I had weird issues idling with a cold engine. They went away for a year and it had a ghost of the symptoms again in the recent cold snap (it got down to 50F :v:).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I had a bit of black on the throttle body bore, pretty much nothing on the butterfly. 8 year old car with almost 80k, and I drive it like I stole it about half of the time.

:cripes:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I stole the battery from the VW for the Fairlane because the Fairlane's battery had turned into a battery shaped lump of lead, acid and plastic. It was dead. If only I could find the receipt.

Took the Niva for a quick drive out to the nearest gravel road to see what the brakes are like. It could brake amazingly well without braking traction or trying to send me into the bushes. This was echoed in a test on the sealed section of the same road. It's kind of mindblowing being able to stop so quickly on gravel I have to say. It does admirably.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

General_Failure posted:

I stole the battery from the VW for the Fairlane because the Fairlane's battery had turned into a battery shaped lump of lead, acid and plastic. It was dead. If only I could find the receipt.

Took the Niva for a quick drive out to the nearest gravel road to see what the brakes are like. It could brake amazingly well without braking traction or trying to send me into the bushes. This was echoed in a test on the sealed section of the same road. It's kind of mindblowing being able to stop so quickly on gravel I have to say. It does admirably.

From now on, tape the receipt to the body of the battery with a clear packing tape.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ozmiander posted:

From now on, tape the receipt to the body of the battery with a clear packing tape.

That works just fine unless the receipt is printed in thermal paper.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Motronic posted:

That works just fine unless the receipt is printed in thermal paper.

I just tuck them into the manual or whatever passes for one in the glovebox.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I just tuck them into the manual or whatever passes for one in the glovebox.

That's a really good idea.

Most receipts are still on thermal paper so probably won't be taping one to the battery. You'd think I would have thought of putting it in the manual after 4 or 5 batteries.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Why don't you stop complaining about it and find whatever the hell is making it kill batteries? It isn't magic pixie dust, something is doing it, and it is probably easier to figure out than penning yet another post about the battery in The Fairlane dying without repeating yourself.

Hell it probably just requires ten minutes and a multimeter.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

kastein posted:

Why don't you stop complaining about it and find whatever the hell is making it kill batteries? It isn't magic pixie dust, something is doing it, and it is probably easier to figure out than penning yet another post about the battery in The Fairlane dying without repeating yourself.

Hell it probably just requires ten minutes and a multimeter.

I've been over it. All I can think is '90s electronics magic doing something strange. There seems to be a fair bit active with the ignition off sometimes. I suspect both ECU and BCU never fully go to sleep. It's charging fine. It'd want to be. it has a 110A alternator.
I've also suspected the Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller but it isn't the bugged U.S. market one and I've never seen the brake lights on when they shouldn't be.

It's sitting enough between uses that grass is growing under it now. I'm going to renew its registration next week so it's not just another yard sculpture, replace obvious broken bits and see what I can do about getting rid of it. All it has going for it now is A/c. Nobody wants to ride in it even though it's a fairly roomy, well sound insulated Aussie luxobarge. I nearly turned around and headed home yesterday because I forgot about the roof height. Cut my head open last week and have stitches in my scalp. I'm wearing a hat to protect them but the hat was against the headliner because the clearance is so close. Having stitches being rubbed isn't the best feeling.

So, content?
I put some cheap floor mats in although it seems a bit pointless. It already has them. It goes floor, insulation, original rubber matting, underlay, carpet and now floormats again. The carpet seems to be doing a great job of sound deadening so I'm hesitant to remove it yet.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That looks like some sort of 70's Logitech wheel.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Rhyno posted:

That looks like some sort of 70's Logitech wheel.

I needed a wheel because the padding on the original was split and the horn bits were messed up and partially missing. Someone offered it and the boss to me at a really good price. Way less than just the boss. It's not such a bad wheel, just not great for the application. It's diameter is a little too small and it can be a little slick at times.
The green bits were painted to match the vehicle it came off.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

What kind of luxobarge has three shifters? Is it just an Aussie thing?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Original plugs didn't look that bad for being 8 years/79k old. I cheaped out and went with platinum (NGK G Power) instead of iridium (would have been AC Delco or NGK if I had).. kind of hard to justify an extra $17 for plugs when you make minimum wage.

Tackled the throttle body gasket again - got the new gasket in, and was a lot more careful lining up the throttle body. Reset the ECU, and it idles perfect now (solid ~750 warm, ~1100 cold) It also doesn't stumble when the a/c kicks on anymore.

EightBit posted:

:ssh: that's the Niva.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

EightBit posted:

The best kind. Two of them are beer taps.

That's a photo of the Niva's interior. The Fairlane is covered with beige leather, woodgrain, chrome and that sort of thing. Very gaudy yet suiting for the vehicle.