Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I can't believe it. I won't believe it.

Signed up regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I honestly checked to see if it might have been april first for a second

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Is ToTW still a thing? gently caress that dungeon. gently caress wanting all the cool loot that dropped off the big loving bosses in that shithole. gently caress all those cultist trains. gently caress all those cultist adds. gently caress all that noise. it's what literally stopped me from playing multiple times [started a sniper, quit and made a fixer [i think. those grid armor dudes who could make robo pets?. never got to use that neither.], quit him a bit after and then made an adventurer and played that as a subscribed member for a month before getting locked.

I'm thinking of playing again as a fr00b idiot just for the hell of it but i don't know what I want to make this time.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Dizz posted:

Is ToTW still a thing? gently caress that dungeon. gently caress wanting all the cool loot that dropped off the big loving bosses in that shithole. gently caress all those cultist trains. gently caress all those cultist adds. gently caress all that noise. it's what literally stopped me from playing multiple times [started a sniper, quit and made a fixer [i think. those grid armor dudes who could make robo pets?. never got to use that neither.], quit him a bit after and then made an adventurer and played that as a subscribed member for a month before getting locked.

I'm thinking of playing again as a fr00b idiot just for the hell of it but i don't know what I want to make this time.

Just wait for the new engine to come out of beta.

:cawg:

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

uPen posted:

Just wait for the new engine to come out of beta.

:cawg:

I applied to the beta on a new account and it was successful. I guess I'm in the beta as well? don't know.

Anyways I just finished patching so I'm gonna play. I just need a class to play.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Go NT. You won't regret it. You'll regret it.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Dick Trauma posted:

Go NT. You won't regret it. You'll regret it.

Would I regret going trader or enforcer?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Enforcer is easy, that was my first character. Trader is interesting but I found laddering tedious.

I would do engy or crat before trader. Those were two of my favorites. I still have Nelly Johnson's little black dress for the crat suit in a character's bank. Somewhere.

Metaphysicist can be a bit slow, but I made a trox one and used some of the pet management macros from my engy and crat and it was enjoyable. Really most all professions are enjoyable (at least on RK) just some are more complicated, or slower to level if you aren't intimately familiar with the mechanics of the class.

I was almost exclusively solo due to the pain in MMOs of finding people to play with that are not idiots. That killed my doc character. Too drat slow to play solo.

MA is another easy choice but I found it less satisfying compared to my enforcer due to the lack of hitting things with a giant hammer.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 11, 2013

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Dick Trauma posted:

Martial Artist

Yeah. As amazing as they might be, not swinging a giant weapon like a dumb oaf is a big drawback.

Dizz fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 11, 2013

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

When I played a MA it felt like all I could do was hit things and heal myself. They basically bring nothing to the table when teaming up. Fixer run buffs are better, Doc and Adventurer heals are better, and I don't think the MA can give other people their armor buff. Tack on to those flaws the fact that the only new weapons you got were fist buff skills, because a lot of moves and skills would actually work with fist weapons equipped.

They're still alright solo, just not as fun as most of the other classes.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Is there just one server now? I can't find a server select anymore.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Dizz posted:

Is there just one server now? I can't find a server select anymore.

Yeah they got rolled together a few months back, best move Funcom has made in years.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Alright well I made an atrox enforcer named Tummytums if anyone wants to add me. I'm probably gonna spend a while reading on guides and such before I waste my points on stupid things.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I'm gonna reactivate today after I come back from gym if anyone wants to join (Dizz pls), I think I can bankroll newbies and I've got some twinking gear left

e: nm, game won't let me reactivate because I still have 18 months unpaid time? Huh.

e2: yeah funcom literally don't want my money

Orange DeviI fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 12, 2013

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Doubleposting because nobody reads this thread without there being a new post: if you're having trouble with PayPal bank transfers, try paying with paypal funds. I'm in, and I just made 60m in half an hour of zapping aliens in s10 :getin:. Also holy poo poo some things are a lot more expensive right now. My 25 enforcer is still ridiculously OP.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah rumor is the server merge caused all sorts of price bullshitery.

Thankfully all my dudes are froobs and there really isn't a ton you can buy as froob that costs much

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Gotta twink those characters man. Carb? gently caress that pauper stuff, only the finest CM for my subway guy.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Sided carbonum is still one of the better armors in the game, and you can fit on a QL200 set very easily. Too bad it doesn't go to QL300 :(

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009

killstealing posted:

Gotta twink those characters man. Carb? gently caress that pauper stuff, only the finest CM for my subway guy.

CM is such a waste of money for a 25 Subway twink. You can make a 25 Froob doc that can solo Abmouth. I made my guy based around this and he destroys subway entirely self buffed.
http://lorddredd-anarchy.blogspot.com/2009/10/battlerod-24-atrox-doctor.html

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I wasn't really thinking about the money, since I have a 24 froob enfo who can solo Abmouth too. I just really dislike the higher level bits of AO so I spend all my money and time on my 25, 60 and my single 150 character. Plus it was really fun trying to get QL 75 CM on. I would have taken him higher (maybe out of OE?) if I didn't get lazy when it finally was at 75%. But yeah, when you don't have endgame characters you end up with a lot of money you just can't spend.

E: I might try to sell off the CM though or use it on a totw guy. QL 75 CM is the QL you use for totw twinks right?

Orange DeviI fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 14, 2013

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
One of my more recent characters was an NT. I threw on some carb and a NCU ring and some MC imps and then went to town on the subway. Leveled me and a few of my friends just AOEing the poo poo out of subway/mob camps. I think I did 1-150 in a couple days?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I just level until a level breakpoint, twink up and then see if I want to go on. Thus far that 150 soldier is my highest level guy. :v:

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
God you guys are making me want to start playing again, well not really playing more like slamming my head against a wall as I try to level up my level 60 Atrox Engineer. God that was a bad choice starting out.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I've made an Atrox everything and didn't regret it.

Also: didn't level any of them past 40.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I think one of my favorite characters I have right now is my Opifex Enforcer :getin:

If you ever see him give me a wave, I'm in as Froobacca/Galv/Texaco/Galvantina/Galladro.

You can generally see me trolling OOC or spamming dnet with weird poo poo

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Thanks to some random guy, I went from level 23 to 49 in several hours. He also twinked me a ton and I have a guardian circuit board, 3 dark memories and 2 time loops on. Oh, and I also had a Stygian desolator put on me at level 30 :getin:

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Dizz posted:

Thanks to some random guy, I went from level 23 to 49 in several hours. He also twinked me a ton and I have a guardian circuit board, 3 dark memories and 2 time loops on. Oh, and I also had a Stygian desolator put on me at level 30 :getin:

If it was that doc or keeper or whatever, that's omah, you should join our organization in the future. It's pretty great. Dude has tons of alts and helped me get CM on at level 25 with obscure buff armor pieces.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

killstealing posted:

If it was that doc or keeper or whatever, that's omah, you should join our organization in the future. It's pretty great. Dude has tons of alts and helped me get CM on at level 25 with obscure buff armor pieces.

Nah it was someone else whos alts were named Trialz and Handofblood. I haven't seen him on recently but now that I hit 60 it's time to see what I can do. I'm still unable to solo GoT or Lien by my own without buffs sadly.

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
Got out of the newbie zone, entered Rome and...oh its so lonely. I wish Funcom would make a proper sequel to this, but maybe the new engine will attract more players.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
A few weeks ago there was enough froobs to do whatever I wanted including raid, now I don't even bother logging in because theres nobody doing poo poo anymore :(

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Patch Date: September 30th 2013

Warning: You need at least 2 gig free disc space to patch.

Game Updates
We have now converted the RDB in preparation for the new engine.

:siren: It's happening !! :siren:

(also minor fixes to mobs bugged out inside geometry)

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Is 'new engine' code for 'we're going F2P' because gently caress paying $15 for this.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

uPen posted:

Is 'new engine' code for 'we're going F2P' because gently caress paying $15 for this.

I hope so. Because being fr00b is kinda a pain.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I keep disconnecting, I just want to get that goddamn panther on my froob enfo whyyy

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

killstealing posted:

Where's that Ron Paul gif when you need it?

deftest
May 7, 2011

killstealing posted:

Patch Date: September 30th 2013

Warning: You need at least 2 gig free disc space to patch.

Game Updates
We have now converted the RDB in preparation for the new engine.

(also minor fixes to mobs bugged out inside geometry)

Can this be? ...no foolies?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
I get a feeling the graphics update isn't going to be the second coming of the mmorpg messiah some expect it to be. No one who wasn't heavily interested in the game and probably playing it already, is going to pick it up again because it looks like 2007 instead of 2001.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
I will sub again, just to run around RK and look at all the old places, but this time with shadows, and grass!

And then I will finally put this loving game to rest.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Fewd posted:

I get a feeling the graphics update isn't going to be the second coming of the mmorpg messiah some expect it to be. No one who wasn't heavily interested in the game and probably playing it already, is going to pick it up again because it looks like 2007 instead of 2001.

It might help the game get a half-decent population again. I know I'd come back and play if there was even a tenth of the population we saw at the height of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
How extensive is this engine update? Is it just terrain and certain art assets, or is it a total overhaul?

• Locked thread