Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

miscellaneous14 posted:

Outside of FFXIV though, this hasn't been the case. SWTOR managed to have a clean launch despite around over a million players logging in at once. Even smaller companies like Trion have flawless launches for their games. I don't know why people still keep using the "all online games have terrible launches" argument when that hasn't been true for years.

SWOTR did not have a clean launch. The PvP system was broken at it's core as well as being laggy as hell. There were numerous issues with the cut scenes. Half the time the NPCs would appear about an inch tall in the cut scenes. There were tons of issues with SWOTR at launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOT SQUATS
Sep 24, 2006

How all the DJ's cut
How all the DJ's cut
Cut me a slice of your track now
I customized a car and gave it the free insurance/free tracking deal. It disappeared after I got kicked out of a free roam session, and I can't seem to get it back. What's the deal? How do I keep my car? Help.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

miscellaneous14 posted:

Outside of FFXIV though, this hasn't been the case. SWTOR managed to have a clean launch despite around over a million players logging in at once. Even smaller companies like Trion have flawless launches for their games. I don't know why people still keep using the "all online games have terrible launches" argument when that hasn't been true for years.

Rift had a ton of day 1 server issues as did Guild Wars 2, SWTOR was a laggy loving mess at launch. And that's just MMO stuff. Other online stuff that had insane amount of issues never get included in the rose-tinted goggles people use for launches not being terrible. The terribleness just lasts less time, usually.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

TheJoker138 posted:

I was able to get in for a few hours. I'm...not super impressed. Maybe it will be better once the games are consistently full, but there seem to be a lot of things that just aren't what they were represented to be. The "missions" for example are mainly just deathmaches/races/etc. with a text message or cut scene at the beginning or end. The cut scenes repeat, too. And the ones that aren't that have all just been like Franklin's early repo missions, of "go here, get this car, bring it to other location." It's...kind of boring.

This all could just be because there's not a ton of people on (I got into missions with other, real people maybe 3 times) but man...after all the talk about the missions and stuff I was expecting more than what I've seen so far.

Pretty sure the most basic of missions are open in the beginning. Sort of like story mode.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

mynameisjohn posted:

you can really just grief the poo poo out of people if you feel like being a dick in online

Hopefully they add riot shields and smoke grenades for maximum corner trapping.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

HOT SQUATS posted:

I customized a car and gave it the free insurance/free tracking deal. It disappeared after I got kicked out of a free roam session, and I can't seem to get it back. What's the deal? How do I keep my car? Help.

It's probably in the impound lot. Look for a car symbol on your map or the Impound in the legend. You could also try calling the insurance company on your phone contact list. Whenever you quit the game, make sure you are in your car or on your bike. At least until you get a garage, then I think you can have any of your vehicles delivered to you at any time(as long as it's not nearby).

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.
You get taller as you go up in level, everybody starts out short.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Funnily enough solo session loads fine, then dumps me into a loading screen with a bunch of other people, then loads the first race tutorial again and finally sits on loading forever. I find it amusing it goes through the same thing twice.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

I feel like stun guns will add a lot of fascinating gameplay possibilities to online.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Don't even try to play on PS3, it's not even pulling down the little social club adverts that are supposed play while GTA Online is loading.

I'm guessing that means the entire PS3 server is down and it'll probably stay that way until sometime tomorrow.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Gordong Dongbay posted:

SWOTR did not have a clean launch. The PvP system was broken at it's core as well as being laggy as hell. There were numerous issues with the cut scenes. Half the time the NPCs would appear about an inch tall in the cut scenes. There were tons of issues with SWOTR at launch.

Those are just bugs with the game itself that were eventually fixed, in the meantime people could still play pretty much the entire game with no real issues. That's a far cry from "all online games have terrible launches".

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

Rift had a ton of day 1 server issues as did Guild Wars 2, SWTOR was a laggy loving mess at launch. And that's just MMO stuff. Other online stuff that had insane amount of issues never get included in the rose-tinted goggles people use for launches not being terrible. The terribleness just lasts less time, usually.

I didn't have any significant lag problems in the GW2 and SWTOR launches, though? Even if a few players had that problem, at least they could get past the login screen and into the game itself.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Party Plane Jones posted:

Funnily enough solo session loads fine, then dumps me into a loading screen with a bunch of other people, then loads the first race tutorial again and finally sits on loading forever. I find it amusing it goes through the same thing twice.

All of the session types load fine and do this. It's entering the blue circles to join instances that is totally hosed(for everyone, even if you have successfully gotten through the tutorial). Not authentication or anything.

Kali11324
Dec 8, 2004

This space intentionally left blank
I'm going to sit down and have some beers while I try to log in. We can make a pool? What will happen first, getting drunk or getting in the game.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also

Kali11324 posted:

I'm going to sit down and have some beers while I try to log in. We can make a pool? What will happen first, getting drunk or getting in the game.

You will have alcohol poisoning long before you're playing gtao.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

TremorX posted:

That sucks. It's the only thing that *has* been working for me, and it jumps in really quick.

Eh, no big. poo poo will get sorted eventually. It at least let me get a look at my character in-game (they look better than in the editor). I don't think immediately putting players into a situation where matchmaking is required was a great idea, if you had to have a tutorial Lamar just showing you around would have sufficed I think. Start connecting to others once the player is let loose. That way at least you can complete the tutorial because now if you have a friend that managed to get in he can't invite you since you must complete the tutorial first.

The Oid
Jul 15, 2004

Chibber of worlds

miscellaneous14 posted:

This isn't really comparable to any other online launch though. The sales for this game are phenomenal.

Would certainly be interesting to see their concurrency numbers right now, I bet they're insane.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

Garages eating cars? What is that poo poo? That means that gta3 is a more technically competent game than number Five. And that's sad. It seems like they were really, really good at coding ps2 GTAs, and just keep up anymore. Nor do I think they even care anymore as the game sells 1 billion in a broken state.

Agreed. I saved a bunch of cars in my garage and now they're all gone. Where am I supposed to get more cars? And day-one issues with multiplayer? Sleeping Dogs: no reported multiplayer problems day one. They just can't keep up. Wrap it up Rocktards.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

For people who've actually been able to play, do your skills increase through use a-la singleplayer, or are skill increases tied to leveling up your character?

I really hope it's the former, but knowing any system with level-ups its probably going to be the latter.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
Whoa, I actually got to the "waiting for players" forever thing on PS3.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I keep trying to start civilian riots by flopping into folks and drawing pissed off people into smacking the wrong person by wading into a crowd. Somehow it almost always ends with me getting donkey-punched into the grave or a bunch of angry dudes beating a lone woman to death. :(

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

I just played with the biggest loving idiots from Reddit on "quick mission" one of them drove a car we were supposed to repo onto a roof to try and get away from the cops then couldn't get it off.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

The Oid posted:

This isn't really comparable to any other online launch though. The sales for this game are phenomenal.

I disagree. I think it's directly comparable to World of Warcraft. They had something like 12 million subscribers at peak and every expansion launch would be totally screwed like this and Blizzard has tons of experience dealing with it. They'd recover within 12 hours or so but yeah, I think the player numbers are very comparable(there's no way there's even close to 30 million people trying to play GTAO but 10-12 million is believable).

Rockstar not having any existing infrastructure and only experienced team members with no experience on their hardware/software platform guaranteed that this would happen. The only way they could have avoided it would have been to have an extremely large open beta that went through all this ahead of release, and they're way too protective of their stuff to do that.

Icedude posted:

For people who've actually been able to play, do your skills increase through use a-la singleplayer, or are skill increases tied to leveling up your character?

They definitely go up through use but not very fast at all. They're probably also gated by level. My Stamina is my highest stat at like 23(guestimate based on bar).

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

Found Packie finally but I've finished the game... Time to take him to the Altruist cult!

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003
Skills do increase in the same vein as single player. My dude was just driving around causing chaos and I noticed that it got bumped up to 40%

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Soggy Muffin posted:

Skills do increase in the same vein as single player. My dude was just driving around causing chaos and I noticed that it got bumped up to 40%

I drove a shitload on my motorcycle tonight and never even crossed 20. :wtf:

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I seem to have a problem. I just did the mission to steal the toxin or shaving cream or whatever from the military base for the FIB dudes. I did that about a week ago. I'm at 52/69 missions done (with 60%). I can't switch to Michael and I can't find any more missions. Am I supposed to call someone or just keep doing side missions or what?

E: The last thing story related I remember doing was returning the wife of that dude with Trevor.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
When I had to steal a garbage truck for a heist, I got it caught on some rocky terrain and actually got a failure message that said "The garbage truck became stuck". :geno:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

TremorX posted:

Just play in solo mode to get past the tutorial and make a few bucks to be ahead of the game when it finally dies down.

That's great how does one do that when going solo just forces you into that race, then it disconnects? (PS3)

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

If I choose the option to start GTA online by myself, like really with no one else, it starts and I can watch the intro!

Then it auto-starts a race.

Failed to join job or activity,
returning to Grand Theft Auto Online.

There has been an error joining a session.
Please return to Grand Theft Auto V.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

Between the hard locks from the social club camera last week, the numerous car glitches, and GTA: Offline I'm humbled by their hands off approach to quality control.

Garages eating cars? What is that poo poo? That means that gta3 is a more technically competent game than number Five. And that's sad. It seems like they were really, really good at coding ps2 GTAs, and just keep up anymore. Nor do I think they even care anymore as the game sells 1 billion in a broken state.

I like how this game mocks Movies as "Linear Media". Well, at least those Linear Media Dinosaurs can get the loving movie out on time! And the reel doesn't light on fire once the audience are all in their seats ready to go!

Really, they should drop the satire in future games. Who are they to criticize when they cant even get their own product out the door in sufficient time?

Holy poo poo

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

is "Launching session" purgatory worth waiting out or

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax

stuart scott irl posted:

No. At least not tonight. Maybe early this morning it will be better.

numbs
Jul 20, 2013

by XyloJW

stuart scott irl posted:

Nope, it never loads.

numbs
Jul 20, 2013

by XyloJW
I'm going to give it a couple of days.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

Heran Bago posted:

If I choose the option to start GTA online by myself, like really with no one else, it starts and I can watch the intro!

Then it auto-starts a race.

Failed to join job or activity,
returning to Grand Theft Auto Online.

There has been an error joining a session.
Please return to Grand Theft Auto V.

So what you're saying is the online is having a few issues right now. Interesting, I hope it's not having issues across the board.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dr. Lariat posted:

So what you're saying is the online is having a few issues right now. Interesting, I hope it's not having issues across the board.

This is the first i've heard of it.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

stuart scott irl posted:

Yes. Just wait. You're almost there. Keep the dream alive or they won't let you in. Good luck.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
So I'm getting concerned. For spoiler reasons I'll say I've finished mission 52

I did the mission where you scope out the convoy for the the Union Depository Heist. Except now I have nothing. I can't switch to Michael and there's no missions for Trevor or Franklin

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
I'll just turn on passive mode and round up cars for Simeon.

*gets rear ended by some kid in a Koeingessseggegeggegg, sprayed with SMG*

Oh.

E:

Started a solo server, lost my insured and tracked Sabre Turbo. Oh.

Well.

Beeb fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

RagnarokAngel posted:

So I'm getting concerned. For spoiler reasons I'll say I've finished mission 52

I did the mission where you scope out the convoy for the the Union Depository Heist. Except now I have nothing. I can't switch to Michael and there's no missions for Trevor or Franklin

You have other assets to acquire for that heist that do not have mission markers. Check your email.

• Locked thread