Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I still think 00s2 gets poo poo on way more then it deserves.

In any case are we going to have a gundam biuld fighters thread or are we going to limit the discussion of it to this therad? I'd like to make a thread in the next couple of days.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Well, this seems like as good of a time as any to post the best Gundam music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIbUMCu8lIo

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldwcWT-oWVM

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Monaghan posted:

In any case are we going to have a gundam biuld fighters thread or are we going to limit the discussion of it to this therad? I'd like to make a thread in the next couple of days.

I was planning on making one once October starts.

Also if it's not from Turn A, it's not the best Gundam music. :ssh:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gammatron 64 posted:

Well, this seems like as good of a time as any to post the best Gundam music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIbUMCu8lIo

I have this on repeat while I'm reading Gundam Origin.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
AGE had a few amazing tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsGl3bQTuts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhy_2fN9Z7s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozRR9QJVNe4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZFa640HUu0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7mNj_pW894

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I've been listening to the Unicorn soundtracks when I've been either walking or biking to school. Lemme tell you, nothing gets the blood pumping like Banshee coming on when you're on a flat stretch of road.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkvwkM2a39g

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

If we're linking Gundam music that gets the blood pumping, these three always do it for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIV-t6VMwhQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7QXWkimA0A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsWdBwaOE3A

I love Wing's soundtrack way too much, but it's just so good. It's 90s as hell and pretty much has the Terminator theme.

vvvv I am not a big fan of SEED's soundtrack, personally. And Setsuna is prettier than Kira and that matters :colbert:.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Sep 27, 2013

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Love or hate Kira, his mobile suits had some pretty kickass themes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T13Ma7U65gU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCEN1KbNc9Y

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Seed/Destiny had amazing battle themes in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5ZapRmaWE4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPKWVex4Kas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLrCJ-5sPJA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y58uE_4Hnbo

And I still wish these two would show up in SRW some day, so drat amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfmuK6NSaXY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rjlco1Z-SAg

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Sep 27, 2013

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I just got The Origin vol. 3 and I've probably said it before, but goddamn this manga has some beautiful artwork with lots of personality. I very rarely ever comment on the artwork in comic books or manga, but every page of this book is a treat. Often times a lot of anime styles have trouble conveying emotions and instead have to rely on on exaggerated sweat drops or huge "angry crosses" and while this definitely has it, there is a lot of subtly in the artwork.

And while the character designs date back to 1979, the artist is the same guy who came up with them in the first place and each and every character is unique and has their own personality. It's a very far cry from Gundam SEED which is probably the total antithesis of this where everybody looks like some kind of freakish clone.

And one thing that's so great about the Origin is it fills in a lot of holes and corrects a lot of details from the original that didn't make any sense (i.e. how could Amuro pilot the Gundam, Guntanks and Guncannons existed for years before Project V, etc.). I haven't even finished Vol. 3 yet and I think Gundam: The Origin is already my favorite version of 0079, above both the movies and the original show.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Schubalts posted:

To be fair to him, he does spend like the entire season trying to get everybody to not treat him like he was his brother.

He kept saying that he wasn't his brother but acted just like him and deliberately stole his catchphrase.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ActionZero posted:

He kept saying that he wasn't his brother but acted just like him and deliberately stole his catchphrase.

He didn't act like him though. He fought differently for one, relying more on pistols and short to mid range weapons than long range sniping like the original did. He made a deliberately bad pass at Feldt to make it obvious to her he wasn't his brother and was able to get over his desire for revenge and pass on killing Ali unlike Neil, who got himself killed he was so desperate for revenge that he went after him even in a damaged suit. I'm sure there's other things as well, but I can barely remember the show. Don't get me wrong, I think that if you're going to kill someone you really shouldn't replace them with someone who looks similar, never mind someone who is their actual brother - but they did try and distinguish him and make him different in several ways, from personality to fighting style.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Just got done with Hidden One Year War and Apocalypse 0079.

What most stuck out at me:

- the designers very definitely played up the Nazis in spaaaaaace aspect of Zeon, and in fact the whole thing was pretty much "My Mobile Suit Is Fight!"

- Space Nazi science sneers at inertia and momentum, it seems, though it was interesting to see Salamis and Magellans zipping around at high speed instead of plodding along slowly like they tend to in other UC works.

- I would really rather have seen it as a traditionally animated show rather than CG. The mechanical stuff looked OK; the people looked decent unless they were showing strong emotion, at which point they were weird again.

Next stop Gravity Front, and then I'm done with all the currently available Gundam shows and movies except for AGE (nope) and Gunpla Builders (why not).

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Gunpla Builders is pretty fun, even if the last OVA kind of shoots the whole thing's message right in the foot.

Have fun building and customizing your own kit! I mean it's going to get its rear end kicked in a second by this one guy who got super rare custom parts from his dad, but eh.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Midjack posted:

Just got done with Hidden One Year War and Apocalypse 0079.

What most stuck out at me:

- the designers very definitely played up the Nazis in spaaaaaace aspect of Zeon, and in fact the whole thing was pretty much "My Mobile Suit Is Fight!"

- Space Nazi science sneers at inertia and momentum, it seems, though it was interesting to see Salamis and Magellans zipping around at high speed instead of plodding along slowly like they tend to in other UC works.

- I would really rather have seen it as a traditionally animated show rather than CG. The mechanical stuff looked OK; the people looked decent unless they were showing strong emotion, at which point they were weird again.

Next stop Gravity Front, and then I'm done with all the currently available Gundam shows and movies except for AGE (nope) and Gunpla Builders (why not).

You don't have to watch Gravity Front. In fact, it's better if you didn't. You don't even need to acknowledge its existence. Just treat it like AGE.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Asem goes to military academy for a week, gets handed a Gundam like it's no big deal, and along with 3 fresh faced graduates and one veteran, he is assigned to the ship with the most powerful gun in the Federation's fleet. Then he gets sent to his room without dinner for ignoring a retarded order.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Generation 2 might have been the best part of AGE, but that is not exactly saying much.

Wait till you see the big "oh my god Woolf is such a great pilot moment": "I'm such a SUPER PILOT that I can hit X-Rounders! And by that I mean they just suddenly decide to stop moving so I can shoot them.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

muike posted:

Asem goes to military academy for a week, gets handed a Gundam like it's no big deal, and along with 3 fresh faced graduates and one veteran, he is assigned to the ship with the most powerful gun in the Federation's fleet. Then he gets sent to his room without dinner for ignoring a retarded order.

After having seen all the video games, side stories, and manga, I'm starting to think Gundams outnumbered GMs shortly before the final battles of the One Year War.

EDIT: you're talking about AGE, not Gravity Front, aren't you? My point remains.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 28, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Asemu getting a Gundam is at least explicitly nepotism. Papa Flit is shameless about keeping his Gundams in the family.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ImpAtom posted:

Asemu getting a Gundam is at least explicitly nepotism. Papa Flit is shameless about keeping his Gundams in the family.

How old was Kio again when Flit gave him Gundam vs Vagan: Genocide Turbo as a birthday present?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

ImpAtom posted:

At least the Zeta showing up is preceded by Kamille's designs, and then when it shows up, it's just like "well Anaheim." this is like Gundam out of thin air. Also Wolf seems to really like people who pilot Genoaces.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

TaurusOxford posted:

How old was Kio again when Flit gave him Gundam vs Vagan: Genocide Turbo as a birthday present?
Kio looked about the age of a toddler...so between 3-5 years old roughly.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

I was planning on making one once October starts.

I ended up having a lot of free time on my hands today so I made it today. Here's a link.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I just got The Origin vol. 3 and I've probably said it before, but goddamn this manga has some beautiful artwork with lots of personality. I very rarely ever comment on the artwork in comic books or manga, but every page of this book is a treat. Often times a lot of anime styles have trouble conveying emotions and instead have to rely on on exaggerated sweat drops or huge "angry crosses" and while this definitely has it, there is a lot of subtly in the artwork.

And while the character designs date back to 1979, the artist is the same guy who came up with them in the first place and each and every character is unique and has their own personality. It's a very far cry from Gundam SEED which is probably the total antithesis of this where everybody looks like some kind of freakish clone.

And one thing that's so great about the Origin is it fills in a lot of holes and corrects a lot of details from the original that didn't make any sense (i.e. how could Amuro pilot the Gundam, Guntanks and Guncannons existed for years before Project V, etc.). I haven't even finished Vol. 3 yet and I think Gundam: The Origin is already my favorite version of 0079, above both the movies and the original show.

That panel where Amuro is staring at the Zeon suits in the scene after Fraw's family ends up collateral damage may be my favorite single frame in anything gundam.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I know this must have been covered before but I'm in the Asemu arc of AGE and I'm just flabbergasted. I can barely even form sentences without sputtering nonsense when my friends ask me how it is! I think the biggest complaint I really have is the absolute bullshit reason for Zeheart's mask, I mean, it makes his suit respond to his reflexes? How the hell is that supposed to work? And to my understanding this gets worse?!

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

TARDISman posted:

I know this must have been covered before but I'm in the Asemu arc of AGE and I'm just flabbergasted. I can barely even form sentences without sputtering nonsense when my friends ask me how it is! I think the biggest complaint I really have is the absolute bullshit reason for Zeheart's mask, I mean, it makes his suit respond to his reflexes? How the hell is that supposed to work? And to my understanding this gets worse?!

The Asemu arc is the best the show gets. Just wait till you get to his son...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TARDISman posted:

You may be watching a badly translated version, although the actual reason isn't much better:

Zeheart's Newtype mojo is so strong he burns out any machine he pilots, ala Amuro and the pre-MC Gundam. The mask he wears intentionally suppresses his power so he can't do that. Any time he takes it off he's basically using his ~full power~

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

You may be watching a badly translated version, although the actual reason isn't much better:

Zeheart's Newtype mojo is so strong he burns out any machine he pilots, ala Amuro and the pre-MC Gundam. The mask he wears intentionally suppresses his power so he can't do that. Any time he takes it off he's basically using his ~full power~

So they made Zeheart into an Eva? Nice. AGE may have the distinction of being the one Gundam property I avoid for a long time yet.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Zeheart did you just say "colony destroyer" with a straight face. Are you making GBS threads me dude. How do you not think something shifty is going on, or that you're maybe not on the side of justice, dingus

Caros
May 14, 2008

muike posted:

Zeheart did you just say "colony destroyer" with a straight face. Are you making GBS threads me dude. How do you not think something shifty is going on, or that you're maybe not on the side of justice, dingus

Its a demolition device used to destroy derelict colonies that would otherwise fall to earth and cause catastrophic damage. Duh.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Oh so instead of being just stupid, they took that one guy with the eye patch's bit from Bleach. Makes perfect sense.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I like how Asem's character arc was "I can't be good enough" and does everything to get better, but only does after Wolf is like "have you tried just being better? idk lol" And then Wolf dies because of that weird anime thing where everyone pauses to talk during fights (like mid trigger-pull/beam saber swing) and Asem was a dingus.

Also this show pays no attention to actual science at all. Not even the simple stuff like "things keep moving in space" or even simpler "things don't just teleport around for plot convenience"

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

That's less bad science and more "we don't have an animation budget/a good scene director".

Sometimes I wonder what the show blew its budget on, because man that animation was terrible. Even the OPs weren't that good besides the ones Obari worked on. And it's a real shame too because if there was one thing that AGE could have excelled at, it would have been grunt battles because can you imagine how wacky those would be with all the previous hero equipment getting mass produced? But nope, no budget, every grunt is the same generic design because reasons.

EDIT: V Wasn't the OVA's expanded final duel between Asemu and Zeheart completely ridiculous if you tried to think about it?

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Oct 2, 2013

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Well, it also doesn't pay much attention to science, as it asserted that MS crashing on the moon would be perfectly fine thanks to the lowered gravity, as if the mass didn't ensure it'd still be a pretty nasty crash.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Enough about lovely Gundam shows, let's talk about awesome ones, like G Gundam. I'm about halfway through it right about now, on the story arc where Domon and the gang are at the tournament.

It's funny that this show is all about international competition, but everybody in the dub sounds Canadian, except for maybe the guy from Neo Canada. Chibodee Crocket claims to be all American but when I hear him saying "sorey aboat that" I question just how much of a red blooded American patriot he really is.

Look, I get it that they didn't want to be racist and give people stereotypical accents, but come on, you could at least give Gentle Chapman a British accent and have George sound French.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
I think it was dubbed by a Canadian studio, in a time where you were lucky to get a good cast.

But now I'm imagining the dub cast of Hetalia doing G Gundam. Ride that stereotype train all the way. :swoon:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Schubalts posted:

I think it was dubbed by a Canadian studio, in a time where you were lucky to get a good cast.

But now I'm imagining the dub cast of Hetalia doing G Gundam. Ride that stereotype train all the way. :swoon:

Make Hetalia a prequel to G Gundam.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Schubalts posted:

I think most Gundam shows were dubbed by Canadian studios - IIRC most anime dubbing is done in Vancouver. In the dub of Zeta Gundam, most people have noticeable accents.

I think when G Gundam was dubbed, they were really trying to tone down a lot of stuff in Gundam. Remember, a lot of Deathscythe Hell kits got pulled from Wal-Mart because it had "Hell" in the name. The God Gundam became the "Burning Gundam", the Devil Gundam became the "Dark Gundam", and so on. Bandai was really scared to offend anybody... and G Gundam is probably the most offensive Gundam series ever made. Since it's basically a show of culturally insensitive stereotypes, they must have thought "we better not give characters accents so we can tone it down a bit!"

I know what you're thinking, I should just watch it subbed, but I'm one of those lazy bastards who only goes for subtitles when I absolutely have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
The G gundam dub is great, do not be ashamed

I'm pretty sure every full-length gundam show other than zeta has been dubbed by Ocean, which is canadian. Off the top of my head Zeta, 0080 and 8th MS team are the only ones I can say for sure weren't, and 0080 and MS team are both mini-series. Zeta wasn't ocean but it was still canadian.

• Locked thread