Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Anyone have any opinions re: USB hubs? Any recommended ones out there? USB 2.0 is fine.

I've been using one of these guys for the past five, yes five years, I've been extremely happy with it. I think Targus has licensed the design now too. It's a 7 port powered hub but uses a fairly standard removable adapter. I liked it so much I bought two. One of the few PC devices that's lasted me more than three computers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
I'm looking at a T430 as a work laptop and I'd prefer to not spend more than $800--I like 14" since it'll be traveling a bit (smaller would be okay, bigger wouldn't) and I like the T430's long battery life because I'll be in places with spotty electricity. Durability's also pretty important.

Is there anything else I should look at? I like how power-efficient Haswell is (and the T440 is likely to be as a result), and I'd be willing to wait, but I thought I saw somewhere that the T440 will release at around $1000. Is that true?

waffle fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 1, 2013

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

waffle posted:

I need a work laptop and I'd prefer to not spend more than $800--I like 14" since it'll be traveling a bit and I like the T430's long battery life because I'll be in places with spotty electricity. Durability's also pretty important.

Is there anything else I should look at? I like how power-efficient Haswell is (and the T440 is likely to be as a result), and I'd be willing to wait, but I thought I saw somewhere that the T440 will release at around $1000.

I mean the real question is how much battery life do you want?

With a T430 (Especially with the fairly cheap improved battery add on in B&N Gold) you are looking at working a full almost all waking hour or extended hour day on a charge.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

waffle posted:

Is there anything else I should look at? I like how power-efficient Haswell is (and the T440 is likely to be as a result), and I'd be willing to wait, but I thought I saw somewhere that the T440 will release at around $1000. Is that true?
The T440 is supposed to start at $900, the T440s at $1050. Which isn't bad at all, really, when you remember that a T430 w/1600x900 screen and dGPU is $850 anyhow. Also remember that these prices are all without the B&N link or any other discount, so you can reasonably expect to knock 10-15% off, easy.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Weinertron posted:

I've played League, Dota 2, and Starcraft II on an X120e. Those little guys are champions, the only things it can't handle are tons of zerglings or Rumble's flamethrower, for some reason.

How the hell did you get Dota running? I tried and was getting <10FPS constantly with all the settings cranked way the gently caress down.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Dammit the point of the 'e' in my Lenovo logo just put a moderately painful slice in my finger

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Re: LOL performance, I was finally able to find this encouraging blurb in an article specifically about League benchmarks:

tomshardware.com posted:

Even at 1920x1080, dialed in to the game's highest-detail settings and Shadows set to High, LoL runs in excess of 30 FPS on AMD's mobile A10-4600M with integrated Radeon HD 7660G graphics and Intel's Core i5-3210M with HD Graphics 4000.
Looks like an integrated GPU should cut it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Philip Rivers posted:

How the hell did you get Dota running? I tried and was getting <10FPS constantly with all the settings cranked way the gently caress down.

To get DOTA 2 running on the X120e I had to lower the render quality slider until the game looked like blobby, indistinct, warmed over poo poo. I still could play Skeleton King for a couple games at a LAN party and have fun.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Just saying "dedicated graphics" isn't specfic enough when alot of manufacturers are dicking their products (and customers) over with single channel memory, drastically cutting into how those "dedicated graphics" perform.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Seamonster posted:

Just saying "dedicated graphics" isn't specfic enough when alot of manufacturers are dicking their products (and customers) over with single channel memory, drastically cutting into how those "dedicated graphics" perform.

Unfortunately that is likely going to include the Yoga 2 Pro as well.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

When is the t440s due out? I keep telling my father to wait for it.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Deviant posted:

When is the t440s due out? I keep telling my father to wait for it.
June July August September October. Definitely October.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
Notebookcheck finally has their T440s review out (German, should be up on the US site in a few days).
http://www.notebookcheck.com/Test-Lenovo-ThinkPad-T440s-20AQ-S00500-Notebook.102607.0.html

Some bits:
- It's really small
- The base unit, without the plastic over magnesium, feels more solid (obviously)
- The display is less stable, the hinges are pretty good but not great -> I take from this that the departure from the clamshell/latch will ultimately be an issue for some people. If you are used to carrying your laptop by the display or rough it up a lot in that area, don't
- It doesn't seem to have any protection from dust/sand while closed anymore, if you are the person who needs the clamshell/latch design for outside poo poo, this ain't it anymore
- Workmanship beyond that is fantastic
- Needs new docking station (but it still has them)
- Keyboard is great, albeit the key travel is only medium long now
- As we feared, the trackpoint usage is vastly inferior in comfort and precision with the new clickpad, ie. it sucks
- The TN panel still sucks, only the 1080p panel is IPS (yet to be tested). Both are available right now so I hope they will test the IPS one soon.
- They tested the ULV/No dGPU variant available in Germany since last month. Obviously if you care about speed, this is not what you buy. That being said it holds up very well for its specs
- Battery life is not amazing. It is very good when sleeping (11h), but non-idle values are comparable to a decked out last gen T430 (like 5 hours, 1,5 hours full load)

If you are a trackpoint user or need ruggedness beyond office use the changes suck. We knew that but now it is kinda of official.

For everyone else it is pretty much dependent on the price: If the street price isn't too high, it is probably what most itt will buy in the coming year(s)

Boner Slam fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 1, 2013

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

dissss posted:

Dammit the point of the 'e' in my Lenovo logo just put a moderately painful slice in my finger

Do you drive a T530 by any chance?

Nitis
Mar 22, 2003

Amused? I think not.
The HP Envy M7-J010 DX is up on Woot! today, for any interested.

The reviews I've read seem positive, if mixed.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Eh. Something that big and heavy should be more powerful. Iris Pro 5200 or 750m and charge me another $50-100 and then we'll see.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

June July August September October. Definitely October.
If there's anything this thread taught me, it's to never wait on poo poo.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Probably October. On or around the weekend of Oct 18th, that's when Microsoft is officially releasing Windows 8.1 now with "start button" and semi-transparent start page background :pcgaming:

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006

DRRRAAINAGE!!!

Hadlock posted:

Probably October. On or around the weekend of Oct 18th, that's when Microsoft is officially releasing Windows 8.1 now with "start button" and semi-transparent start page background :pcgaming:

Mid-oct is rumored to be when the rumored macbook pro haswell models will be released. Rumor. Rumor rumor. If that pans out apple will get my money for the first time ever. Gosh, the laptop market is kinda a mess.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.
I keep looking at the u410 with the 710m card. It really looks like everything I'm looking for in a laptop, sans a removable battery.

I had some more questions though:

Based on youtube, dis-assembly looks easy to install a new battery and msata, but what are the odds a battery will be around in a year? Is it easy to copy all msata data onto a flash drive, then install a new one, and then transfer the data back? Is it even worth it or is a normal SSD a better option (especially in regards to price)?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I got a T430 a few weeks ago, and I'm finally looking at getting a second RAM stick for it. Will the RAM run in dual channel mode if I mismatch capacities? It has a 4GB stick, and I'd like to add in an 8GB stick, but if performance would be better, I can manage with a second 4GB stick.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
It'll be able to do dual channel for the first 8 GB and single-channel for the other 4 GB. It probably doesn't matter, the observed performance difference will be pretty small, you won't see any significant improvement, unless you're running some weird benchmark. (You won't see much with normal benchmarks.)

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
What's currently out there in terms of convertible ultrabooks (or similar), other than waiting for the new lenovo yoga?

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
The other convertible ultrabooks, and other similar things.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

dissss posted:

I had the same problem on my T530. It's probably the oddest fault that I've ever encountered.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

My sister's currently thinking of getting a new laptop: is there any particular sweet spot product in the not-crap-but-low-to-mid ultrabookish range? No gaming. (Ideally able to get with Win7, but I don't know if Microsoft lets manufacturers get away with that.)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Oct 2, 2013

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

MikeJF posted:

My sister's currently thinking of getting a new laptop: is there any particular sweet spot product in the not-crap-but-low-to-mid ultrabookish range? No gaming. (Ideally able to get with Win7, but I don't know if Microsoft lets manufacturers get away with that.)

Just install classicshell/startisback/start8 for the start menu, everything else about Windows 8 is better, please don't get brand new Windows 7 machines anymore. (other than corporate environments with standard images and such)

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

MikeJF posted:

The low-mid range of ultrabooks is generally pretty bad because OEMs are have to meet Intel requirements while still keeping a low price point, so they tend to use cheaper parts. If you are willing to look at last years models, that will give a a number of options with ivy bridge and Win7. You should be able to find a refurbished Yoga for about $700. If that is more than you want to spend take a look at X131e(Intel), they are about $600 new and float in the $350-$500 range when refurbished.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Brut posted:

Just install classicshell/startisback/start8 for the start menu, everything else about Windows 8 is better, please don't get brand new Windows 7 machines anymore. (other than corporate environments with standard images and such)

Fair enough. Startisback is the plan, then.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You could also just wait 15 days for 8.1 to come out which makes Windows 8 virtually like Windows 7.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

bull3964 posted:

You could also just wait 15 days for 8.1 to come out which makes Windows 8 virtually like Windows 7.

As someone who has used all three of those things, you are completely wrong. 8.1 adds very little except for multiple monitor UI scaling, and even then it's done in a very ugly and hacky manner. Most of the stupid UI problems in 8 are still in 8.1.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I think I could learn to live with 8.1 if the start button was a toggle for the Start menu/screen, but instead you have to use your mouse to close the start screen by clicking on the "Desktop" icon/tile.

Classic Shell is a beautiful thing.

edit: I have been using the official 8.1 via MSDN for a couple of weeks now, as pointed out this is a warmed over version of 8.0, some elements are refined but there's a reason this is 8.1 and not 8.5 or 8.9.

You will want Windows 8/8.1 simply for compatibility, but you can keep your Win 7 GUI until Microsoft sorts their poo poo out for 9.0 in a few years, which will probably have a usable desktop metro interface.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 2, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Has Lenovo made any X series with reasonable resolutions since the x200 series? I have no desire to have 768 vertical resolution ever again. It still seems to me that the X61 with the x61 tablet 1440x900 screen put in it is the best laptop ever made...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Cream_Filling posted:

As someone who has used all three of those things, you are completely wrong. 8.1 adds very little except for multiple monitor UI scaling, and even then it's done in a very ugly and hacky manner. Most of the stupid UI problems in 8 are still in 8.1.

I've been using 8.1 as my dedicated work desktop for about 2 weeks now and simply don't agree. It feels like I'm using 7 again with all the back end enhancements of 8.

Hadlock posted:

I think I could learn to live with 8.1 if the start button was a toggle for the Start menu/screen,

Um.. it is? You click on it and it repeatedly switches between desktop and start menu. The same goes with the keyboard start button.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 2, 2013

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

C'mon Lenovo, quit adjusting my shipping estimate one day further in the future every day.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Um.. it is? You click on it and it repeatedly switches between desktop and start menu. The same goes with the keyboard start button.

Not once it loads up a metro app. For example if I open a jpg in the default image viewer (which is metro) and then close the image, it drops you in to metro start screen mode, at which point the start button will only toggle you between metro and the app, it won't drop you back down to the desktop.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Jeffrey posted:

Has Lenovo made any X series with reasonable resolutions since the x200 series? I have no desire to have 768 vertical resolution ever again. It still seems to me that the X61 with the x61 tablet 1440x900 screen put in it is the best laptop ever made...

The X240 will have 1920x1080. Which isn't as good as 1440x900 or the X61t's 1400x1050, yeah.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Correct, there aren't any for sale yet. The x240 is rumored to have a 1080p screen, but what's available in which country is yet to be seen. All the reviews so far have come out of Germany and one hong Kong university website

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

shrughes posted:

The X240 will have 1920x1080. Which isn't as good as 1440x900 or the X61t's 1400x1050, yeah.

Wow now I am glad I have waited. It's about time. I was seriously pondering trying to jam a tablet screen into my 5 year old laptop because...???

What do you all think of the chiclet keyboards, are they as nice to type on as the old switches? Part of the reason I can't stomach other laptop-makers is that the keyboards are mushy crap, is Lenovo still the best in that department?

vvvvvv I don't use the touchpad so that's okay. I might even disable it in the bios if I get one, I hate it when I'm typing and my hand brushes it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Jeffrey posted:

What do you all think of the chiclet keyboards, are they as nice to type on as the old switches? Part of the reason I can't stomach other laptop-makers is that the keyboards are mushy crap, is Lenovo still the best in that department?
I have a work-issued x230. I think the keyboard is as good or better than the one on my t61p. I don't care for the x230's bumps on the touchpad though