Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Is the WiiU the next Ouya?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
THe Nintendo Direct trailer of 3D world showed off A LOT of new gameplay mechanics in the game. I'm not longer worried about it being too similar to 3D Land. The single player comes off as a lot less hectic too...

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I'd actually find it hilarious if it turned out that it's not just a coincidence Amazon got stuck with the most lovely of pre-order bonuses for the game.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I'd actually find it hilarious if it turned out that it's not just a coincidence Amazon got stuck with the most lovely of pre-order bonuses for the game.

Honestly id rather have the lives. those omochaos are freaky looking.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

Is Amazon!? :o

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

Poor poor Amazon. I guess Nintendo thought that, "That little online book store dealer really doesn't sell games."

:stare:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Al Borland posted:

Poor poor Amazon. I guess Nintendo thought that, "That little online book store dealer really doesn't sell games."

:stare:

It's a Sega game. Published and made by them.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I'm more surprised that lives is still a thing in platformers. I know Mario does it, though why I don't know, but other games?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

DKC: Returns did it but you ran into so many loving bananas that lives didn't really matter.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Lord Lambeth posted:

DKC: Returns did it but you ran into so many loving bananas that lives didn't really matter.

Right, so it did. I'm just surprised, because the mechanic doesn't really make that much sense, especially if the player is showered in lives. What's the difference between 88 lives and unlimited? When I'm playing Mario I'm more concerned about his three hitpoints than his many lives.
Though I guess that removing lives would cause an outroar, so they'll just keep them.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Lives haven't actually had an impact on gameplay since the 64. They're around mostly for tradition's sake, but it does get annoying when you cap at 99 lives not even halfway through these games and you know they do absolutely nothing useful. God make them some sort of currency for new Mario/DK costumes or something.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lord Lambeth posted:

People did game over in DKC:R, or had to buy lives from Cranky to avoid doing so. The DKC:R LP is a hilarious example of this, they game overed twice and lost a billion lives.

Edit: as for why, lives give a minor feeling of accomplishment. They are something you can toss into Mario games that are slightly challenging to get (red coins, hidden area, etc) where you don't want to stick a coin or a star. I like hitting 99 lives in the game, I like getting crazy 1 up combos off jumps, etc. It adds to the fun on top of being tradition.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Oct 2, 2013

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Rayman Legends doesn't have lives, and they use their coin equivalent as another way to 100% each stage (get 600 of these for the highest rank) and to unlock character skins.

NSMB 2 did use coins as a score attack mode, but I have no idea if they really impacted the main game.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Astro7x posted:

Nobody really knows how the XBO or PS4 will perform after the initial hype and early adopters get the thing. We are also getting a lot of games that will still be released for the PS3/360 like Assassins Creed, Watchdogs and Battlefield 4, plus exclusives like Beyond, Arkham Origins, Ratchet & Clank and the recently released GTA5. I think there is a possibility that those games will satisfy a lot of gamers and significantly delay purchasing the PS4/XBO until there are more games.

Quoting myself from a few pages back, but this poll pretty much confirms what I've been thinking about the fate of the start of this next console generation. I know it's not the most scientific thing ever, but if it's done in a way that polled gamers as opposed to casual ones, the numbers could be even worse. It's via IGN, but done by Reuters.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/30/poll-64-wont-buy-next-gen-ps4-slightly-preferred-to-xbox-one

quote:

In a limited poll surveying 1,297 people, 64% of respondents stated they would not buy new video game hardware this holiday season, according to Reuters. This includes, of course, next-generation consoles such as PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, as well as Nintendo's upcoming 2DS or Valve's recently revealed Steam Machines.

Just 26% of those surveyed expressed interest in purchasing a PlayStation 4, while 15% said they were likely to purchase an Xbox One. Of the 408 respondents younger than 40 years old, 41% opted for PlayStation 4 and 27% chose Xbox One.

The minor interest in next-gen gaming points to something else emphasized in the poll: The games respondents most desire are non-exclusive, third-party sequels that, in many cases, will release on current hardware. Call of Duty: Ghosts Assassin's Creed 4, Madden NFL 25, Battlefield 4 topped the interest list, alongside GTA 5.

This is, of course, a small sample of potential buyers, but it's interesting to observe the trends leading into next-gen launch this November, when we'll see how the predictive data stacks up against consumer demand.

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Oct 2, 2013

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
If you look at the actual Reuters poll, you'll see that that's a poll of the general public, not gamers. Only 715 of the 1297 people owned gaming devices.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Astro7x posted:

Quoting myself from a few pages back, but this poll pretty much confirms what I've been thinking about the fate of the start of this next console generation. I know it's not the most scientific thing ever, but if it's done in a way that polled gamers as opposed to casual ones, the numbers could be even worse. It's via IGN, but done by Reuters.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/30/poll-64-wont-buy-next-gen-ps4-slightly-preferred-to-xbox-one

It goes pretty well with the Japanese polls on how disinterested they were in the PS4. Well, the XB1 as well but that's obvious. Microsoft pretty much burns money every time they release something in Japan console related.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I will never understand why Japan hates the Xbox so much. Last generation people unironically claimed "Because it is huge and they live in tiny apartments!" but that sounds really ridiculous. And they have a lot of the Japanese games like final fantasy and metal gear on it too. Is it really just nationalism?

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
If you don't like shooter games, is there honestly a point to having an Xbox over a Playstation? That's how I see it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

The Unholy Ghost posted:

If you don't like shooter games, is there honestly a point to having an Xbox over a Playstation? That's how I see it.

Even if you do doesn't the playstation have basically all the same shooters anyway, minus halo, plus killzone? I feel like "don't like shooters" isn't really a reason to prefer one over the other.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

greatn posted:

I will never understand why Japan hates the Xbox so much. Last generation people unironically claimed "Because it is huge and they live in tiny apartments!" but that sounds really ridiculous. And they have a lot of the Japanese games like final fantasy and metal gear on it too. Is it really just nationalism?

:eng101: They don't technically have a Japanese 360 release of Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance because Konami decided releasing a game on 360 in Japan would make the company look weak. I'm not kidding. Their compromise was to make the North American disc have a Japanese subtitle option and be region-coded to work on Japanese 360's. This was preferable to having a formal release. That's how much they don't like the 360.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

greatn posted:

Chalking it up to xenophobic nationalism simplifies a multi-layered issue that affects Microsoft to this day. While Japanese consumers don't trust the company to consistently provide the games they like, Microsoft doesn't understand how to communicate to and attract Japanese gamers with their consoles. They spent a lot of money securing games for the Japanese audience, such as exclusive JRPGs and Team Ninja games. However, their marketing is tailored toward English speaking consumers and creating broad, global messages. While promoting Lost Odyssey for the Xbox 360, Hironobu Sakaguchi was asked about Microsoft's marketing strategy in Japan:

Hironobu Sakaguchi Interview posted:

GS: You mentioned that Blue Dragon has been one of the top sellers on the 360 in Japan, but the system's success in Japan still hasn't come close to what it has reached in the United States. What else do you think that Microsoft and developers have to do to bring the 360 up to that level of success in Japan?

HS: [in English] Good marketing. Japanese marketing guys are not so good. Marketing is important, most important.

GS: How do you think they could strengthen their marketing in Japan? What are they doing wrong? Is there a different strategy they should pursue?

HS: Just to give you an example...the "jump in" statement, right? Jump in...the tagline. Nobody can understand it or knows what "jump in" means. So it has to be localized to cater to the audience in Japan, to get them to understand what that's about. So paying particular attention to [the marketing]--not just bring everything as is over to Japan--it's not going to do any good. You have to really think about the market, market needs and demands, and then really tailor it to that audience.

HS: [in English] If you say "jump in" in Japanese. Jump in. It's not so cool in Japanese.

GS: It doesn't make sense.

HS: [English] Yeah, makes no sense.

Microsoft PR rep: "Do, do, do." [the recent Xbox 360 slogan in Japan]

HS: [English] "Do, do, do" is not so good either. [laughs]

GS: So they need to try harder then.

HS: [English] Yeah, it's not so cool. [laughs]

http://www.gamespot.com/news/qanda-mistwalkers-hironobu-sakaguchi-6167571

When promoting the Xbox brand, Microsoft has had their greatest success in English speaking countries, such as the United States and United Kingdom. However, they don't have the same success in other countries. While Microsoft prefers to have shared image and for a global market, Sony allows marketing teams a lot of leeway in how it attracts consumers in individual markets and with what products.

For example, Sony's European division pushed Singstar on the PS2 in Scandinavian countries since the game was very popular with the demographics in those countries. Song selection for the games can vary from country to country since the games are localized for each territory. This push occurred even after the PS3 was released. There are advantages and disadvantages with both strategies but this is how Microsoft's one size fits all strategy has affected the success of the Xbox brand.

You see this today with their NFL deal since the United States as an extremely important market for them. Securing the large US market naturally leads to a lot of third-party support. A lot of big budget Japanese games end on the 360 in addition to the PS3 in spite of the former's poor sales in Japan. Many of these Japanese publishers need to reach a worldwide audience in order to make up for the high costs of development. I expect a lot of Japanese games to be XB1/PS4 multiplatform for the same reason.

There are other factors as well, such as Japanese consumers not expecting Microsoft to cater to them in the long run. It's a case of 'sins of the father' in that consumers don't expect the predecessor of an unattractive system to appeal to them. You can see the reverse through people supporting a system that doesn't immediately have the software they enjoy, such as the 3DS or the PS3. However, I don't expect the PS4 to enjoy the same reception as its predecessors given the market shifts in Japan. Similar to Microsoft, Sony probably realized that a home console is tough and extremely costly sell in Japan. That money and manpower would be better spent elsewhere.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

"The risk-taking Sonic player" hahaha that works on a couple levels

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011
http://gematsu.com/2013/10/media-create-sales-92313-92913

quote:

This week’s Media Create Sales are in. Monster Hunter 4, for the third week in a row, is on top again at 213,000 sales. New PS Vita release The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki comes in second at 81,000 sales, and is followed by its PlayStation 3 counterpart at 67,000 sales in position four.

Get the full sales chart below.

Software Sales (followed by lifetime sales)

[3DS] Monster Hunter 4 (Capcom, 09/14/13) – 213,078 (2,402,077)
[PSV] The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki (Falcom, 09/26/13) – 81,622 (New)
[PS3] Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate (Tecmo Koei, 09/26/13) – 80,498 (New)
[PS3] The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki (Falcom, 09/26/13) – 67,718 (New)
[PS3] Armored Core: Verdict Day (From Software, 09/26/13) – 59,184 (New)
[PS3] Oreimo Happy End (Namco Bandai, 09/26/13) – 31,054 (New)
[Wii U] The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (Nintendo, 09/26/13) – 30,264 (New)
[PSV] Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate (Tecmo Koei, 09/26/13) – 25,483 (New)
[3DS] Tomodachi Collection: New Life (Nintendo, 04/18/13) – 9,269 (1,450,520)
[PS3] Battle Princess of Arcadias (NIS, 09/26/13) – 9,252 (New)
[3DS] Yokai Watch (Level-5, 07/11/13) – 8,578 (187,825)
[3DS] Disney Magic Castle: My Happy Life (Namco Bandai, 08/01/13) – 7,575 (278,559)
[3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf (Nintendo, 11/08/12) – 7,431 (3,425,003)
[3DS] Mario & Luigi: Dream Team (Nintendo, 07/18/13) – 7,361 (318,600)
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (Square Enix, 08/27/13) – 6,866 (216,156)
[PSP] Starry Sky: After Winter Portable (Asgard, 09/26/13) – 6,074 (New)
[PSP] Meiji Tokyo Renka (Broccoli, 09/26/13) – 5,963 (New)
[3DS] Epic Mickey: The Power of Illusion (Spike Chunsoft, 09/26/13) – 5,569 (New)
[360] Armored Core: Verdict Day (From Software, 09/26/13) – 5,088 (New)
[3DS] Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon (Nintendo, 03/20/13) – 5,007 (906,547)

Hardware Sales (followed by last week’s sales)

3DS LL – 93,757 (118,400)
3DS – 40,487 (40,988)
PlayStation 3 – 11,382 (10,749)
PlayStation Vita – 6,031 (5,155)
Wii U – 5,909 (5,824)
PSP – 4,805 (5,082)
Wii – 866 (965)
Xbox 360 – 511 (610)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I don't know what "Oreimo Happy End" is but I'm sure it's just a more solid title than Wind Waker, nothing Nintendo could have done.

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman
Christ almighty, those 3DS sales. Pokemon X and Y aren't even out yet too, so the sales are probably going to get even higher once it comes out.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How did W101 do in US?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Safety Scissors posted:

How did W101 do in US?

It's in the couple thousands, which is really terrible because it's a fantastic game and reviewers basically whined that they didn't know how to play it and gave it bad scores.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
It didn't exactly do hot in Japan either so I wouldn't say that's really the problem. Reviews in general were "Pretty good".

A niche game on a niche console wasn't going to sell well, there was no real escaping that.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Jeffrey posted:

I don't know what "Oreimo Happy End" is but I'm sure it's just a more solid title than Wind Waker, nothing Nintendo could have done.

Visual novel about a guy and his sister. There's incest elements involved, I think.

So yeah pretty much nothing Nintendo could have done there.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

TheEggsBenedict posted:

Christ almighty, those 3DS sales. Pokemon X and Y aren't even out yet too, so the sales are probably going to get even higher once it comes out.

Yup...

http://nintendoeverything.com/pokemon-xy-is-the-most-pre-ordered-3ds-game-in-japan-ever/

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
That's the lowest first week for a Zelda game ever, and Wii U sales went up by less than 1,000 over last week. Dang.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

RagnarokAngel posted:

It didn't exactly do hot in Japan either so I wouldn't say that's really the problem. Reviews in general were "Pretty good".

A niche game on a niche console wasn't going to sell well, there was no real escaping that.

For shits and giggles I looked up what the best-selling game on Xbox 360 in Japan of all time was.

It was 2006's Blue Dragon and sold 203 000 copies. Only it and 7 other games have sold over 100 000 copies in Japan.

I think "niche console" is enough to doom you as far as sales numbers are concerned.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Direct game sales number comparisons are a bit pointless. Of course they're bad, nobody owns a Wii U. Which means that they aren't making money so is bad in an absolute sense, but doesn't provide new information. How the sales figure compares to the number of console owners and how the console sales themselves are moving are more important.

That said a Vita game is in #2 so uh. I guess they could have done much better than that.

vvv Okay yeah that's pretty bad

Peel fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 2, 2013

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Peel posted:

Direct game sales number comparisons are a bit pointless. Of course they're bad, nobody owns a Wii U. Which means that they aren't making money so is bad in an absolute sense, but doesn't provide new information. How the sales figure compares to the number of console owners and how the console sales themselves are moving are more important.

That said a Vita game is in #2 so uh. I guess they could have done much better than that.

OoT3D launched when the 3DS had sold ~10% more units than the Wii U has now and sold 6x as many copies first week (and almost doubled 3DS hardware sales which were already 5x what the Wii U is selling weekly right now). Lego City did more than half what WWHD did and Japan does not give a gently caress about Lego games.

WWHD did bad no matter what criteria you use.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well at least it's a really good game. Top notch, improvement on the original by leaps and bounds.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

greatn posted:

Well at least it's a really good game. Top notch, improvement on the original by leaps and bounds.

Sure, it's a great game. But the Wii U is running out of great games this year and they desperately need one of them to at least start turning things around, especially in Japan where they don't care about Sonic. Mario and that Taiko game are basically the last hopes for them this year.

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

It's in the couple thousands, which is really terrible because it's a fantastic game and reviewers basically whined that they didn't know how to play it and gave it bad scores.

Is there a source for that yet? Just curious.

What a shame tho. Its an incredible game.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Famous TV Dad posted:

Is there a source for that yet? Just curious.

What a shame tho. Its an incredible game.

We actually haven't heard about W101 sales in the US yet since it was released like a month late here. We should get some numbers around the time the September NPD info starts to come out which is in a couple of weeks. It sold basically nothing in Japan and Europe though, so that doesn't bode well.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Crowbear posted:

OoT3D launched when the 3DS had sold ~10% more units than the Wii U has now and sold 6x as many copies first week (and almost doubled 3DS hardware sales which were already 5x what the Wii U is selling weekly right now). Lego City did more than half what WWHD did and Japan does not give a gently caress about Lego games.

WWHD did bad no matter what criteria you use.

Not to make excuses, but Ocarina of Time is one of the most critically acclaimed games of all time. Wind Waker was not that well received in Japan by Nintendo's own admission as it did much better in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

I paid $10 to change some guys avatar to an Oblivion Elf with giant tits just to steal this gif
My kid is asking for a wii-u for Christmas. WWHD is due out, I'm really struggling to decide whether it would be a good purchase. The kid is 7, his Wii gets battered, there's Mario-U and a new smash brothers due out next year.

I just don't know if it's going to gather dust due to a lack of games. I can see half a dozen things I could buy him but if that didn't increase to a couple dozen over the next year or two it becomes a duff purchase.

Any advice?

• Locked thread