Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Egbert Souse posted:

Here's the old "HD Cinema Classics" disc:

That's a really gorgeous transfer. I'm sure stories like this have been related a few times in this thread, but I've had more than one occasion of trying to explain to a friend that a film didn't have to be filmed in HD to benefit from a blu ray transfer.

Oh yeah, also last week, Scream Factory released Psycho 2 and 3 on blu ray. 3 is fine for what it is, but 2 really is a shockingly strong follow up to Hitch's original. Go buy it already.

Glamorama26 fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Sep 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Jurassic Park 3D - $19.99

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B4804KS...GGY6P3MSW1GYDX7

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I scored the John Carpenter's 'The Thing' steelbook blu-ray recently, which is a pretty big step up over the American bluray release. The US release didn't come with any of the (totally awesome) special features from the prior DVD release, and the steelbook bluray fixes that and includes everything. Additionally, it's not region-locked so it works in any bluray player. :toot:

The case is pretty slick, too.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Is there an affordable Blu-Ray player solution for compatibility problems if I am not keen on spending either

A) A couple hundred bucks on a console that's about to be outdated?

B) $500 on a new console?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Is there an affordable Blu-Ray player solution for compatibility problems if I am not keen on spending either

A) A couple hundred bucks on a console that's about to be outdated?

B) $500 on a new console?

Define "compatibility problems".

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Jedit posted:

Trouble in the bedroom.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Jedit posted:

This thread kicks off with "buy a PS3 if you don't want any bullshit when trying to play movies."

So far player shopping is a painful experience. I am looking at getting something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BDP-S3100-Blu-ray-Player-Wi-Fi/dp/B00AWKC0EC/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I've played around with the PS3's player before and it's fine but I have no other real use for a PS3 so it would essentially be a waste of money.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

This thread kicks off with "buy a PS3 if you don't want any bullshit when trying to play movies."

The thread was also started in 2010.

Call Me Charlie posted:

I wouldn't say it's a stupid question. People are still parroting an old standard answer when they say that the PS3 is the best Blu-Ray player. It's kind of like if you asked somebody what the best antivirus is and they say AVG. Once upon a time, that was true. Now? Not so much.

When Blu-Ray first launched, it was going through constant flux. The spec wasn't finalized yet. Standalone players were stupid expensive. Every other big release needed a new firmware update to play the disc. Sony was always on point with updates. Other companies struggled.

Now, things have settled down. You can find a brand name standalone player for sub $100. Firmware's not really an issue. Even if it was, I can't imagine Sony dropping support for the PS3.

When you're looking for a player, you need to ask yourself what you are looking for. Size? Wifi? 3D? Netflix? Hulu? Amazon Prime? Gaming?

That's not to say that the PS3 isn't a good Blu-Ray player but if you don't care about games, it's not worth the extra $80-170 for it compared to other players.

The player you listed should be fine.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Call Me Charlie posted:

The thread was also started in 2010.

The player you listed should be fine.

Thanks. Message boards like this are a life saver, because buying guides for blu-ray players are full of some of the derpiest "advice" ever.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

So far player shopping is a painful experience. I am looking at getting something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BDP-S3100-Blu-ray-Player-Wi-Fi/dp/B00AWKC0EC/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I've played around with the PS3's player before and it's fine but I have no other real use for a PS3 so it would essentially be a waste of money.

I've got a similar Sony and never had an issue playing discs. The only thing I don't really like is the Youtube app but it seems like a bonus anyway.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

At this point you can get a good Sony BD player for a hundred dollars or less.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I ordered that same model a few weeks ago after my PS3 broke. My PS3 never had any issues playing 1080p on my TV, this model would not output at 1080p to the same TV. If you are on a Samsung TV (mine is maybe 5 years old) you may want to look at a different model.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Scream Factory is doing a sale all month where everyday through the 23rd a different title is marked down.

http://www.shoutfactory.com/ThePriceIsFrightSale

Free shipping, too.

edit: The sale is running all month. The 23rd is just the last day you can order and have the stuff in time for Halloween.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 2, 2013

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

CPL593H posted:

ThePriceIsFrightSale

http://www.hark.com/clips/tqppyqdzhf-crypt-keeper-laughing

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
^^ Good deal.

-----

Spring Breakers dropped down to $11.98 from Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BEJL4XS...9YPVAB0S657JAFX

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Call Me Charlie posted:

Spring Breakers dropped down to $11.98 from Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BEJL4XS...9YPVAB0S657JAFX

I bought within 30 seconds of seeing this post.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Some classic news from boards...

Triumph of the Will is coming on Dec. 16 from a no-name distributor, but at almost $100. In the same post, Robert Harris confirms Synapse is releasing a much lower priced version to be released soon.

German release of The Big Sleep on Jan. 3

Major collection of Keystone comedies coming from Flicker Alley in the near future. These already aired on TCM and seem to cover the early 1910s shorts through the early 1930s talkies.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Deadwood: The Complete Series is the deal of the day.

$58.99

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00129AJFO...A1FRYR2KX7PFVCP

Great deal for a great boxset.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Xenomrph posted:

I scored the John Carpenter's 'The Thing' steelbook blu-ray recently, which is a pretty big step up over the American bluray release.

What blew me away is that I watched that movie a hundred times over the last couple decades, and it wasn't until I recently watched my BD for the first time that I saw the doctor had an ear ring.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Twilight Time announced their January and February titles. They now have the rights to a bunch of MGM films.*

Khartoum (1966, Basil Deardon) - Jan. 21 [MGM/United Artists]
Zulu (1964, Cy Enfield) - Jan. 21 [MGM/Embassy/StudioCanal]
Titus (1999, Julie Taymor) - Jan. 21 [Fox]
Man in the Dark (1953, Lew Landers) - Jan. 21 (3D) [Columbia]

Crimes and Misdemeanors (1989, Woody Allen) - Feb. 11 [MGM/Orion]
The Front (1976, Martin Ritt) - Feb. 11 [Columbia]
Thunderbolt and Lightfoot (1974, Michael Cimino) - Feb. 11 [MGM/United Artists]
The Blue Max (1966, John Gullermin) - Feb. 11 [Fox]
The Eddy Duchin Story (1956, George Sidney) - Feb. 11 [Columbia]

*Not the actual classic Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer films (like Singin' in the Rain or The Wizard of Oz), but the current MGM library consisting of United Artists, Orion, post-1986 MGM, Embassy, Nelson, American International, and a bunch of other small companies. I noted the studios each was licensed from.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 11, 2013

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Egbert Souse posted:

Sweet, I'm always happy to see more Woody Allen films get blu-ray releases. There are still a number of his movies that only have lovely non-anamorphic DVD releases (Bullets over Broadway and Everyone Says I Love You for example) that I really wish would get an upgrade though.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Daveski posted:

Sweet, I'm always happy to see more Woody Allen films get blu-ray releases. There are still a number of his movies that only have lovely non-anamorphic DVD releases (Bullets over Broadway and Everyone Says I Love You for example) that I really wish would get an upgrade though.

MGM at least has all of his films through Shadows and Fog (all his United Artists and Orion films). Although, Take the Money and Run was licensed from ABC (they have all the ABC Films library under license including Selznick International films) and What's Up, Tiger Lily is with Westchester Films (licensing through Criterion and Image).

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Egbert Souse posted:

Twilight Time announced their January and February titles. They now have the rights to a bunch of MGM films.*

Titus (1999, Julie Taymor) - Jan. 21 [Fox]

Jesus. So instead of paying a reasonable 15-20 bucks for a nice MGM release of "Crimes & Misdemeanors", which I consider to be Allen's best film (is it not popular?), I'll have to pay $30-$40 for a needlessly limited copy out of 3000? And the same deal with "Titus", another favorite of mine. Please tell me this isn't the case, and Twilight Time have changed their business model.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Origami Dali posted:

Jesus. So instead of paying a reasonable 15-20 bucks for a nice MGM release of "Crimes & Misdemeanors", which I consider to be Allen's best film (is it not popular?), I'll have to pay $30-$40 for a needlessly limited copy out of 3000? And the same deal with "Titus", another favorite of mine. Please tell me this isn't the case, and Twilight Time have changed their business model.

I think Crimes and Misdemeanors is really well-regarded by everybody who's seen it, but comparatively few people have. Like, my dad, one of the biggest Woody Allen fans you'll ever meet - he has most magazines the guy has appeared on the cover of, several biographies, drat near every one of his films on DVD or blu-ray - hadn't seen it until recently. When I found that out I pushed him hard to watch it. The behind-the-scenes doc Allen makes of Alan Alda is the funniest thing he ever did.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Origami Dali posted:

Nope. Plus you get the added bonus of them potentially loving up the transfer and refusing to fix it.

I hope they didn't get Unbearable Lightness Of Being from MGM. That deserves to come home to Criterion.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Call Me Charlie posted:

Nope. Plus you get the added bonus of them potentially loving up the transfer and refusing to fix it.

I hope they didn't get Unbearable Lightness Of Being from MGM. That deserves to come home to Criterion.

Their business model is unfortunate - I understand the reasons for it, but I don't think many of the titles they get are appropriate for it. The blame for that falls partly on them, and certainly partly on Sony / Fox / now MGM for being willing to license the titles to them instead of just releasing the BD themselves.

However, TT has not hosed up any transfers. Sony themselves hosed up Night of the Living Dead 1990, TT just releases what they are given. And 1 title having a serious issue like NotLD is hardly a bad record - there are hosed up Shout Factory and Criterion and Kino and so-on transfers and they don't define the companies' output, people are just all-too-happy to pile on about the TT NotLD issue because they hate the business model.

Neo_Reloaded fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 12, 2013

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Neo_Reloaded posted:

However, TT has not hosed up any transfers. Sony themselves hosed up Night of the Living Dead 1990, TT just releases what they are given. And 1 title having a serious issue like NotLD is hardly a bad record - there are hosed up Shout Factory and Criterion and Kino and so-on transfers and they don't define the companies' output, people are just all-too-happy to pile on about the TT NotLD issue because they hate the business model.

Nope, they lied about that. You can get a non-hosed up HD copy of Night Of The Living Dead 1990 from every digital store (Vudu/iTunes/Amazon)

And 1 serious issue is a bad record when they basically tell fans to go pound sand in regards to it.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 12, 2013

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Call Me Charlie posted:

Nope, they lied about that. You can get a non-hosed up HD copy of Night Of The Living Dead 1990 from every digital store (Vudu/iTunes/Amazon)

And 1 serious issue is a bad record when they basically tell fans to go pound sand in regards to it.

Or Sony fixed the issue before they started selling the digital one roughly a year later...

Why would TT arbitrarily totally change the color palette on one film (one with extreme visibility compared to the rest of their releases, no less), but never do anything remotely similar on any other title? And Criterion, Shout etc have never redone an entire movie's transfer as a gesture of customer service, so again TT is being taken to task much more harshly. Hell, Shout has upscales for a few of their BD releases!

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Or Sony fixed the issue before they started selling the digital one... Why would TT arbitrarily totally change the color palette on one film (one with extreme visibility compared to the rest of their releases, no less), but never do anything remotely similar on any other title?

And Criterion, Shout etc have never redone an entire movie's transfer as a gesture of customer service, so again TT is being taken to task much more harshly. Hell, Shout has upscales for a few of their BD releases!

Considering that the digital one was up before the TT release and that a HDTV transfer from years ago had the proper color timing, there's two possibility.

1) Sony hosed up and sent them the wrong file.
2) TT did something to the file after they received it, either by accident or intentionally.

The correct response to both is to contact Sony, get a proper transfer and setup a replacement program.
The wrong response to both is to say that there's nothing wrong with the disc and that it's the way it's suppose to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6MZnqPnTxU

Criterion has never come close to making a mistake as big as the one TT did with NOTLD 90 and they have been nothing but cool when they do make a mistake (Personal story, I never received a replacement case I ordered and Criterion not only two day shipping sent me another one but they gave me a $10 gift card when I emailed them)

And I haven't heard anything about Shout releasing an upscale but they actually front money for new extras and their Scream Factory label has been nothing but gold. Plus they don't release movies for $35+

tl;dr - Twilight Time blows.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 12, 2013

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Call Me Charlie posted:

The TeamBlu guys over at originaltrilogy.com did a loving sweet BD50 where they restored the Twilight Time transfer to look like it should, and they also include the version you can get on VUDU just for comparison and preference reasons. They rigged up the blu ray so you can swap on the fly between versions, and also included the original audio tracks which I am not sure were included on the TT blu ray(as well as the TT DTS MA 5.1). They also included all the special features with nice menus. It's basically up to the standard of what you would expect from a professional blu ray release. For what it is worth I think the restored Twilight Time video blows away the VUDU version no question.

Call Me Charlie posted:

Also this.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Call Me Charlie posted:

Personally engaging with the ultra-spergs on the blu-ray.com forums (what sane company would do this?), and then getting their feelings hurt when they're picked apart (they now refuse to send out any screeners for review) doesn't help their case.

Furthermore, if TT isn't involved in the overview of the transfers for the films they release (as they claim about the NOTLD '90 release), then what exactly are they good for? Footing the bill for packaging and shipping? I don't get it, but then again, I know very little of how home video distribution from reel to store actually works.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Or Sony fixed the issue before they started selling the digital one roughly a year later...

Nope. The VUDU one is pretty good, but it's not restored like the TT one is. The print is pretty rough and doesn't have anywhere near the detail of the TT version. Aside from the total clusterassfuck that the new color timing is, the TT print actually looks incredible(once properly fixed by the OT.com guys).

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Twilight Time is a weird case of a studio. Criterion generally oversees their own transfers unless the rights holder has their own. Most of the time that's great - Sony provides both Criterion and Twilight Time with gorgeous 4K masters handled by Colorworks. TT never does their own transfer work, which doesn't become an issue until when they have a film like Night of the Living Dead '90 when the best HD transfer had color timing changes supervised by the cinematographer. Criterion fell into the same problem with Pathe's horrific "restoration" of Children of Paradise.

Personally, I think the limited edition model is garbage. It prompts scalpers to swipe up most of the inventory and also makes the film more of a collector's item. A more sensible idea would be making them exclusives for a few months before going for wide release. Why not make the 3000 limited copies just have special packaging like a steelbook with a substantial booklet, then roll out the standard run of cheap "just the disc" versions?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Egbert Souse posted:

Personally, I think the limited edition model is garbage. It prompts scalpers to swipe up most of the inventory and also makes the film more of a collector's item.

Do they not even have a maximum quantity per customer rule? This isn't going to be like trying to snag a Mondo poster, is it?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

Twilight Time is a weird case of a studio. Criterion generally oversees their own transfers unless the rights holder has their own. Most of the time that's great - Sony provides both Criterion and Twilight Time with gorgeous 4K masters handled by Colorworks. TT never does their own transfer work, which doesn't become an issue until when they have a film like Night of the Living Dead '90 when the best HD transfer had color timing changes supervised by the cinematographer. Criterion fell into the same problem with Pathe's horrific "restoration" of Children of Paradise.

Personally, I think the limited edition model is garbage. It prompts scalpers to swipe up most of the inventory and also makes the film more of a collector's item. A more sensible idea would be making them exclusives for a few months before going for wide release. Why not make the 3000 limited copies just have special packaging like a steelbook with a substantial booklet, then roll out the standard run of cheap "just the disc" versions?

Because the limited edition thing is more profitable. They make a small run and sell out their entire inventory. It's all profit and no risk. If they did a regular run, they'd have to spend more money and wait longer for a return if they get one. Especially when people feel no urgency about buying the disc.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Kino posted a trailer for their upcoming Nosferatu restoration

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HUsa8LQ7pI

Looks amazing compared to their last DVD

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Lady from Shanghai coming soon - new 4K restoration from the negative. It's Sony and a Colorworks restoration, so that pretty much guarantees it'll look fantastic. No word if it's going to be directly from Sony or licensed (to Criterion or Twilight Time).

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
I have what might be a dumb question. I went to pre-order Tabu on BRD since it's finally getting a US home video release and I saw it's only available on DVD. Then I noticed that Post Tenebras Lux is also only available on DVD for US home video. Is this common? Because that really sucks. :(

(I'd import Tabu from the UK release but it's region locked and so is my player.)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

GORDON posted:

What blew me away is that I watched that movie a hundred times over the last couple decades, and it wasn't until I recently watched my BD for the first time that I saw the doctor had an ear ring.
And a nose ring. :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I'd seen Blade Runner on DVD literally scores of times, and it wasn't until I saw the Final Cut in 4K projection that Rutger Hauer had tattoos on his arms.

This was what turned me around on bluray. Like Scarlett O'Hara, I left the theater holding my fist to heaven and swearing I'd never settle for standard definition again

edit: although I think Lawrence of Arabia is the best argument for HD. There's that wide shot of the desert when he's returning from rescuing Gasim and he's just a tiny dot, maybe 2 pixels tall, on the horizon. On the DVD, the dot is smaller than a pixel so you just see an empty horizon.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 19, 2013

• Locked thread