Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
My parents were watching Leno, and he was talking with some loudmouth conservative "comedian" who spent almost the entire interview on a borderline-racist tirade about kids these days. Afterwards, my parents then remark about how Hollywood is overrun by liberals and it's a shame a guy like him can't get work.

:cripes:

miscellaneous14 fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Oct 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cymbalrush
Jul 12, 2008

SedanChair posted:

No, it's because his personal tastes are hilariously opulent and effete.

In case anyone is doubting this, pictured: Rush Limbaugh's bedroom

http://gawker.com/5482793/rush-limbaughs-gaudy-fifth-avenue-penthouse-is-now-for-sale/

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

miscellaneous14 posted:

My parents were watching Leno, and he was talking with some loudmouth conservative "comedian" who spent almost the entire interview on a borderline-racist tirade about kids these days. Afterwards, my parents then remark about how Hollywood is overrun by liberals and it's a shame a guy like him can't get work.

That guy on a national TV show just can't get work.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

miscellaneous14 posted:

I have never seen one funny conservative comedian. Not. One.

"So what's the deal with poor people/minorities?"

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

Sir Tonk posted:

Also, if you haven't seen this skit that Terry Gross did for Sleepwalk With Me, you need to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTVFNZKuN-g

This is one of the best things I've ever seen.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Some urban kid was begging me for a dollar on the way to my job today. "I haven't eaten in a week! My mom died two days ago! Please sir! Help!" These kids, ya? When will he toughen up and get. A. Job? * laugh track, catcalls and whistles, bows, roses thrown on stage*

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
You joke, but his routine was literally "I was eating dinner, and some kids with their pants below their waists rang the doorbell, and were selling magazines for their football team! Magazines, can you believe it?".

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Monkey Fracas posted:

I have never seen one funny conservative comedian. Not. One.

"So what's the deal with poor people/minorities?"

I kinda like Norm McDonald. I don't really no how controversial he is and being conservative isn't really an essential part of his act.

cymbalrush
Jul 12, 2008

miscellaneous14 posted:

You joke, but his routine was literally "I was eating dinner, and some kids with their pants below their waists rang the doorbell, and were selling magazines for their football team! Magazines, can you believe it?".

I once gave a homeless man a few dollars for beer because he was visibly suffering from delirium tremens and I didn't know what else to do. Can I tell this laugh riot story on Leno?

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

cymbalrush posted:

I once gave a homeless man a few dollars for beer because he was visibly suffering from delirium tremens and I didn't know what else to do. Can I tell this laugh riot story on Leno?

Well, maybe if those liberals didn't control Hollywood!!

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Oh my god it's worse than I could have ever imagined. This is truly all this man and his followers care about. To be cradled constantly by the visible reassurance that they are a cut above your everyday bloke. Except they have no. other. way. to demonstrate this, so they just buy, and buy, and buy. Everything they lack they try to buy, but it just falls the gently caress apart since purchasing is such a flawed way of expressing oneself. And so they despise the contractors and laborers who failed to make them whole.

What a hideous place to call one's home. Fit only for the cockroaches that have the run of the joint when he's not there.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

agarjogger posted:

Oh my god it's worse than I could have ever imagined. This is truly all this man and his followers care about. To be cradled constantly by the visible reassurance that they are a cut above your everyday bloke. Except they have no. other. way. to demonstrate this, so they just buy, and buy, and buy. Everything they lack they try to buy, but it just falls the gently caress apart since purchasing is such a flawed way of expressing oneself. And so they despise the contractors and laborers who failed to make them whole.

What a hideous place to call one's home. Fit only for the cockroaches that have the run of the joint when he's not there.

One day he will die and the next owner will tear down all his tacky bullshit. Or the house will be bulldozed as it is likely a gigantic eyesore. Dust in the wind, etc.

Your house is ridiculous and ostentatious, Rush.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Conservative comedy is basically doing something that causes actual harm to an actual person and book-ending by "Heh, sorry if this isn't POLITICALLY CORRECT enough for you," and "It makes liberals mad, so I must be doing something right."

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Dr Christmas posted:

Conservative comedy is basically doing something that causes actual harm to an actual person and book-ending by "Heh, sorry if this isn't POLITICALLY CORRECT enough for you," and "It makes liberals mad, so I must be doing something right."

"Whatever pisses off liberals" is actually the only way you could hope to define what is today's conservatism. It's easy to forget how much these people hate the mythical liberal, and you too if you claim to be one.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

PrinceRandom posted:

I kinda like Norm McDonald. I don't really no how controversial he is and being conservative isn't really an essential part of his act.

Is he conservative? His whole act is basically making everything as uncomfortable as possible for everyone. Sometimes he says crazy poo poo. Sometimes he pauses awkwardly. He's quite good at it, actually.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Monkey Fracas posted:

Or the house will be bulldozed as it is likely a gigantic eyesore. Dust in the wind, etc.

It's on the 20th floor of a building on Fifth Avenue in Manhattan. And he's asking for $13.95 million because he plans on leaving it. I wouldn't buy it for $13.95.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

I was watching Jake Tapper's show on CNN earlier where they had a crazy House Tea Partier on (for two segments) by himself, and every few seconds when he spewed a falsehood the hosts seemed terribly pained to have to correct him, and they did it in the most polite, aquiescing way. It's so nauseating watching so-called "journalists" squirm so uncomfortably while fact-checking a lying idiot.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

miscellaneous14 posted:

It looks like it was Jay Mohr. He probably can't find work because a lot of comedians do his same schtick a lot better than he does.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

mr. mephistopheles posted:

It looks like it was Jay Mohr. He probably can't find work because a lot of comedians do his same schtick a lot better than he does.

That actually makes me kind of sad. He's one of the better fill in hosts for Jim Rome for sports talk and is usually really funny and has a pretty public battle with depression and bipolar disorder. Now I have to judge you on more than your sports opinions jay mohr.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Ah yes Jay Mohr. The man who begs people to use his Amazon links via a podcast where he all but literally sucks c-league celebrity dick. Truly a beacon of conservatism.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

beatlegs posted:

I was watching Jake Tapper's show on CNN earlier where they had a crazy House Tea Partier on (for two segments) by himself, and every few seconds when he spewed a falsehood the hosts seemed terribly pained to have to correct him, and they did it in the most polite, aquiescing way. It's so nauseating watching so-called "journalists" squirm so uncomfortably while fact-checking a lying idiot.
They've been conditioned to expect abuse from right-wing sources, I think.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Rush is literally a fairy tale princess.

Edit: I bet he would get a bruise if you put a pea under that mattress.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008
I remember back around 2004 or so there were a lot more Conservative comedians running around telling lovely jokes. Colin Quinn had an entire 30 minute TV show after The Daily Show. I guess when a Republican is president they come out of the open mic night hiding places where you'd usually find them.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Modern Day Hercules posted:

I remember back around 2004 or so there were a lot more Conservative comedians running around telling lovely jokes. Colin Quinn had an entire 30 minute TV show after The Daily Show. I guess when a Republican is president they come out of the open mic night hiding places where you'd usually find them.

Immediately post-9/11 it was a much better atmosphere for them (and most went off the deep end because of it and quickly passed the 'not funny' threshold). That was before we got drawn into the soul-sucking quagmire of Iraq and had, oh, the "second half of the 00 decade" happen.

Is it wrong I only remember Jay Mohr for his role in Go?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Tough Crowd wasn't really a conservative show, though, and Colin Quinn doesn't really seem to be a "conservative comedian" so much as a "comedy is insensitive who cares who gets offended" type of comedian.

"As for his own politics, Quinn describes himself as ideologically all over the map — pro-gun, pro-abortion rights, pro-death penalty and pro-gay marriage."

He's more like a poor man's Denis Leary blue collar rear end in a top hat comedian, who is himself a poor man's Bill Hicks.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I didn't like Quinn until I watched Seinfeld's documentary and realized why all these comics like him so much. As a comic's comic he's great. A a comic, he's pretty painful.

SedanChair posted:

No, it's because his personal tastes are hilariously opulent and effete.
Yeah, there was some profile of him years ago where he gave a big tour of his house and bragged about all the French wine and French styles. All totally nouveau riche gauche Floridian crap, of course.

PeterWeller posted:

She suffers from spasmodic dysphonia.
As do her listeners.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

agarjogger posted:

Oh my god it's worse than I could have ever imagined.
Not really, the video cameras are hidden better than I expected.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.

Considering how 'every man' he likes to pretend he is I'm surprised he didn't have it done up like Old Faithful Lodge like I would have. Maybe that's too WPAish for him or something.

Seriously though, that suite would not have looked out of place in Versailles :psyduck:

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

There was a plan to have a conservative standup show on the failed Right Network. It's as painful as it sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_mQPvKXw3U

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

Soviet Commubot posted:

There was a plan to have a conservative standup show on the failed Right Network. It's as painful as it sounds.

There was exactly one joke that could be described as funny in there, when the guy talked about his dental plan being "chew on the side that doesn't hurt". All of the rest of them were either not funny, or not even jokes. It proves my thought (which is hardly original) about conservative comedians, which is that they really do think of themselves as conservatives who are comedians, rather than the other way around. That is to say, they didn't get into comedy because they like making people laugh, they got into it to use it, as the head guy says, "as a weapon" to spread conservative ideology. You see the same problem with Christian rock music, if you get into rock music not because you love playing but because you wan't to spread Jesus' message, it's going to suck compared to people who actually love what they do for its own sake.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Norm McDonalds is pretty funny, and Adam Corolla can be when he's not being exist classist or sexist, which is rare. Just as an example "I was a child of separation. I would say I was a child of divorce but being a child of divorce requires your parents to go downtown and fill out forms and pay forty dollars."

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Soviet Commubot posted:

Look! We have minorities!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

greatn posted:

Norm McDonalds is pretty funny, and Adam Corolla can be when he's not being exist classist or sexist, which is rare. Just as an example "I was a child of separation. I would say I was a child of divorce but being a child of divorce requires your parents to go downtown and fill out forms and pay forty dollars."

Joe Rogan has been legitimately hilarious in the past. NewsRadio is probably my favorite sitcom of all time. Admittedly his character there was a parody of right-wing militia types but, hey, it worked.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

platedlizard posted:

Seriously though, that suite would not have looked out of place in Versailles :psyduck:

That's because it was modeled after the rooms in Versailles - if I'm remembering correctly, that is.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

ReindeerF posted:

I didn't like Quinn until I watched Seinfeld's documentary and realized why all these comics like him so much. As a comic's comic he's great. A a comic, he's pretty painful.

As a Twitter user, he's a master troll and utterly hilarious.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

So that's where the magic happens.

For him. It's probably a nightmarish clown show for the young boys.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I read an interview some time ago in which Mike Nelson ( of MTS3K and Rifftrax fame) claimed to be a very conservative born-again christian. However, he's smart/professional enough to not let it show in his work, so I don't know if that qualifies.

In fact, now that I think of it, there is no shortage of barbs aimed at Bill O'Reilly, Fox News, Ann Coulter and Ron Paul (pretty much every time someone is being brainwashed of having a procedure done to their head, they riff in with "You're now a Ron Paul supporter!"). So either he is not as far right as he believes he is, which is a possibility given how fast the window moved lately, or he knows his audience well and plays to their taste while holding his own ideas inside.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Sephyr posted:

I read an interview some time ago in which Mike Nelson ( of MTS3K and Rifftrax fame) claimed to be a very conservative born-again christian. However, he's smart/professional enough to not let it show in his work, so I don't know if that qualifies.

Well there are hints in his MT3K work but barely noticable. They fit in with the scenario they are riffing on.
However, one of their opening links was a bit more obvious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnrwbTgVuOw

"What about the UN black helicopter's maam" is one if the barely noticable ones that comes to mind. =

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sephyr posted:

In fact, now that I think of it, there is no shortage of barbs aimed at Bill O'Reilly, Fox News, Ann Coulter and Ron Paul (pretty much every time someone is being brainwashed of having a procedure done to their head, they riff in with "You're now a Ron Paul supporter!"). So either he is not as far right as he believes he is, which is a possibility given how fast the window moved lately, or he knows his audience well and plays to their taste while holding his own ideas inside.

Are you guys seriously this deaf to satire? Mike Nelson was probably taking the piss telling an interviewer he was conservative. It's also silly to call guys like Colin Quinn or Norm McDonald "conservative comedians". Politics has nothing to do with their comedy. Unless we're also going to call Anthony Jeselnik a "liberal comedian" just because his joke style tends to hint that he doesn't like conservatives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

It's also silly to call guys like Colin Quinn or Norm McDonald "conservative comedians". Politics has nothing to do with their comedy. Unless we're also going to call Anthony Jeselnik a "liberal comedian" just because his joke style tends to hint that he doesn't like conservatives.
That was sort of the point though, thinking of people who are conservatives but are actually comedians rather than being conservative pundits who try to say funny things.