Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

VXX finally triggered my trailing stop so it's very clear that the market is going honey badger at this government shutdown.

Also, bearish engulfing candle is imminent for Tesla so this could be the pop everyone wanted* :stonk:

*watch Tesla rebound to $195 tomorrow.

Acquilae fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Oct 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Acquilae posted:

I don't think you really need to publicly disclose ownership(maybe it's different for people working in finance as they have different rules). The only time it would be a problem is if you give out insider information.

So in everything from :supaburn: Jim Cramer's articles, to blog posts by some Joe on InsiderMonkey, people always disclose relevant holdings in a post-script in a way that seems legally important... I guess to protect themselves from accusations of pumping and dumping. Are we, as forum posters, free from that concern somehow?

Also, the government DID shut down, right? And the market is up? I'm not crazy?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

alnilam posted:

I guess the market is assuming they'll work it out sooner rather than later like they've trending to for the last several crises. It's not "end of the world" territory unless they don't raise the debt ceiling. The worst part about this is that every federal employee is suddenly out of a paycheck.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Shear Modulus posted:

I guess the market is assuming they'll work it out sooner rather than later like they've trending to for the last several crises. It's not "end of the world" territory unless they don't raise the debt ceiling. The worst part about this is that every federal employee is suddenly out of a paycheck.

Less regulation is good for the market, and nothing is less then zero. Going to 50K!

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.
This is just the market saying we sold off before the shutdown on the prospect of it happening so now we have to look past it and price in the settlement.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

alnilam posted:

The shutdown was priced into the market yesterday, and honestly won't have much impact unless it lasts for more than a few days.

In addition, some people, including me, thinks this shutdown is actually a good thing as it will put pressure congress to compromise ahead of the much more dangerous debt ceiling deadline.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

I know this gets brought up from time to time and there's some info in the OP (which is 3 years old), but what are the favorite online stock brokers? I'm kind of leaning toward TradeKing, but is there any particular reasons that I should consider using someone else? Personal anecdotes are more than welcome.

Right now all of my money is going into Vanguard TR funds, but I've been reading several books on investing (Ben Graham, Jason Kelly) and would like to eventually begin buying individual stocks with a small percentage of my total portfolio.

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski
Despite what all the talking heads and political junkies would tell you, the fact that the American government is going to be retarded and spend months figuring out how to cut taxes for the rich and bail out the business class was priced in long ago. Right now it just gets to be the GOP's fault.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Uranium 235 posted:

I know this gets brought up from time to time and there's some info in the OP (which is 3 years old), but what are the favorite online stock brokers? I'm kind of leaning toward TradeKing, but is there any particular reasons that I should consider using someone else? Personal anecdotes are more than welcome.

Right now all of my money is going into Vanguard TR funds, but I've been reading several books on investing (Ben Graham, Jason Kelly) and would like to eventually begin buying individual stocks with a small percentage of my total portfolio.

Interactive Brokers for price, Etrade for tools/platform.

DNova posted:

BBRY predictions, anyone?

Chances the $4.7B (~$9/share) will go through vs. fall apart? And if it falls apart, by how much will the stock price tank?

$7. Fairfax only has enough for an $7 bid if they can't secure $1.2 billion in bridge loans.

abagofcheetos posted:

Same graph, but by someone that knows how to make one:

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 1, 2013

Harold Cooplowski
Sep 11, 2013

tiananman posted:

For "set it and forget it" investors who only want to look at their stocks a couple times a year, I'm partial to the "small dogs of the Dow" strategy.

This is great stuff, definitely going to look into this as I'm approaching $3k I can afford to invest.

Gamesguy posted:

Interactive Brokers for price, Etrade for tools/platform.

Would you recommend IB's fixed rate plan or the complicated one?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I think I get this graph, but just to be sure, it's saying that the "smart money" tends to be super short right before every correction, and that we're getting to similar shortness levels now?

edit: nevermind, missed the title on the lower graph, makes more sense now.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

Harold Cooplowski posted:

This is great stuff, definitely going to look into this as I'm approaching $3k I can afford to invest.

Would you recommend IB's fixed rate plan or the complicated one?

I use the flat rate. I think you would only use cost plus if you were trading large volumes.

Note that you need 10K minimum to open an account at IB.

Lazy Broker
Jul 9, 2013

Whatcha gonna do? When they come for you?
That close :allears:

If the bulls continue tomorrow I might need to close my short $SPY positions :frog:

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

If the shutdown lasts for more than a week and transitions into the debt ceiling, the S&P could back to 1650s. Not even going to comment on the NASDAQ since the bubble stocks are still keeping it at the all time highs.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Acquilae posted:

If the shutdown lasts for more than a week and transitions into the debt ceiling, the S&P could back to 1650s. Not even going to comment on the NASDAQ since the bubble stocks are still keeping it at the all time highs.

I was surprised to see a lot of what happened today, but I'm still waiting for this in the near future.

Lelorox
Jul 28, 2013

BFC SLACKER 2014

Inverse Icarus posted:

I was surprised to see a lot of what happened today, but I'm still waiting for this in the near future.

Because we have untill the 17th before the treasury runs out of money. I'd expet markets to react Thrusday if there's no deal in sight.

Edit: if we default there will most certianly be downgrades to be had, and markets do not like downgrades.
just refer to this for what it's going to look like: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_federal_government_credit-rating_downgrade

Lelorox fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 2, 2013

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Lelorox posted:

Because we have untill the 17th before the treasury runs out of money. I'd expet markets to react Thrusday if there's no deal in sight.

Edit: if we default there will most certianly be downgrades to be had, and markets do not like downgrades.
just refer to this for what it's going to look like: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_federal_government_credit-rating_downgrade

If the government is shut down, does the debt ceiling date get pushed back as well?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Cheesemaster200 posted:

If the government is shut down, does the debt ceiling date get pushed back as well?

No. Why would it? The debt ceiling is only an issue because the government is both required to spend monies as previously mandated by Congress, for interest on bonds, etc and, completely contradictorily, is prevented from issuing more bonds to make payments on liabilities they've already incurred. It's not like shutting down the government is going to stop people from cashing the checks going out to soldiers, bondholders, or contractors whose future payments have money already allocated.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Oct 2, 2013

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The government has shut down because previously passed budgets only extended through Sept. 30th. As of October 1st, there is no (discretionary) federal budget.

However, the debt ceiling, which we will not hit yet, is based on the government reaching the limit on its ability to borrow to pay its ongoing expenses, including debt servicing and also discretionary spending.

But as of today, 800,000 federal employees have been furloughed, numerous federal agencies have closed their doors, and this means the government is not currently spending as much money as it would have if the government hadn't shut down. Since the date of the debt ceiling being hit was an estimate based on then-current spending projections, shouldn't the shutdown have some impact on that spending, and thus push out the date on which we hit the ceiling?

I suspect the answer is that discretionary spending is a small enough percentage of total spending, and that discretionary spending during just a short few weeks is a small enough percentage of that number, that it will only push out the day we hit the debt ceiling by a few days at most, so nobody is really talking about it.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

I suspect the answer is that discretionary spending is a small enough percentage of total spending, and that discretionary spending during just a short few weeks is a small enough percentage of that number, that it will only push out the day we hit the debt ceiling by a few days at most, so nobody is really talking about it.

Yes, discretionary spending, and particular the discretionary spending that's being saved for the next two weeks, is such a small amount compared to the amount that the government is already legally required to pay (by previous acts of Congress) over the same time period.

The only reason that October 17th is the deadline we're all aware of is that the Treasury said "October 17th is the last day we will be able to put off a default by using extraordinary measures." Nobody except Treasury officials themselves are really keeping track of what the extraordinary measures are, but IIRC they're basically a bunch of administrative decisions that they can legally make to delay, lower, or redirect payments. We actually hit the debt ceiling in May, and have being doing said extraordinary measures to keep the US debt right at the limit since then.

Again, I don't think anyone except the Treasury department's own analysts can explain why October 17th is the deadline, but I found an article that says the Treasury secretary still says that's the final deadline. Maybe the shutdown will make the amount of the payment over which we default lower, but it's still a default.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Oct 2, 2013

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Makes sense, I suppose. Seventeen days of non-essential discretionary spending, minus the costs associated with shutting down non-essential programs, doesn't amount to even 1/365th of total non-discretionary extraordinary-measures spending.

Lazy Broker
Jul 9, 2013

Futures are pointing for a beautiful open. Lets see how it works out tomorrow. :smuggo:

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Since Fairfax is buying BBRY for $9 a share, wouldn't buying anything below that be a simple arbitrage?

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

Since Fairfax is buying BBRY for $9 a share, wouldn't buying anything below that be a simple arbitrage?

BBRY is not guaranteed to sell at $9. It's trading below that because some people believe the deal will fall through, in that case the stock price will tank back down below $7 probably. People are willing to cut people a discount and lock in their profits before they find out about the deal.

Lightning Zwei
Aug 7, 2013
That moment when a $0.50 biotech you've been watching for weeks blows up 37% in 15 minutes

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Lightning Zwei posted:

That moment when a $0.50 biotech you've been watching for weeks blows up 37% in 15 minutes
That moment when Tesla drops 10% and you don't have a position :(

J4Gently
Jul 15, 2013

Acquilae posted:

TSLA Dec 170 puts up 50% now the hard decision let it ride or close it out?

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Personally, I would take profits; the stock dropped primarily because of a Tesla on fire youtube video but it perfectly bounced off the 20-day MA.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
TSLA got downgraded

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

fougera posted:

TSLA got downgraded

TSLA was downgraded pre-market hours ago. The recent sell-off was due to a video posted of a Model S catching fire. The bounce was likely because Tesla later said no, it hit a "metal object" on the road and caught fire. I'm guessing "metal object" is code for "another car".

Lazy Broker
Jul 9, 2013

Acquilae posted:

Don't worry :)

This already happened once and you know what happened the next day.

I am waiting for confirmation then I will start shorts with tight stops.

This might be the time we all have been waiting for.:tipshat:

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Sanky Panky posted:

Don't worry :)

This already happened once and you know what happened the next day.

I am waiting for confirmation then I will start shorts with tight stops.

This might be the time we all have been waiting for.:tipshat:
Yeah TSLA could be interesting if it rebounds like the day after the GS downgrade; if the 20-day MA holds I'd consider going long again. I took a small short on Netflix as it wasn't looking as strong as yesterday.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Lightning Zwei posted:

What is the volume? Doesn't mean crap if the stock has no volume.

Lightning Zwei
Aug 7, 2013

Christobevi3 posted:

What is the volume? Doesn't mean crap if the stock has no volume.

DARA ended the day +41% with 4 million in volume. I've been watching it for a month now and was about to pull the trigger yesterday but scottrade still hadn't settled my fund transfer from last weekend and you can't buy penny stocks with unsettled funds.

It's for the best though I shouldn't be chasing penny stocks, I know, but I saw the volume spike and the price gained another 7% this afternoon and I was about to buy in and the funds still hadn't settled in my brokerage account today...Could've made 30% at least by the time I would've jumped.

Lelorox
Jul 28, 2013

BFC SLACKER 2014

Lightning Zwei posted:

DARA ended the day +41% with 4 million in volume. I've been watching it for a month now and was about to pull the trigger yesterday but scottrade still hadn't settled my fund transfer from last weekend and you can't buy penny stocks with unsettled funds.

It's for the best though I shouldn't be chasing penny stocks, I know, but I saw the volume spike and the price gained another 7% this afternoon and I was about to buy in and the funds still hadn't settled in my brokerage account today...Could've made 30% at least by the time I would've jumped.

Cringing hard at the numbers Q2 (Jun '13) 2012

Net profit margin -3470.65% -14432.91%

Lazy Broker
Jul 9, 2013

Lightning Zwei posted:

Don't buy penny stocks. Just don't.

They are cheap for a reason...(Because they are garbage)

At the end you don't want to be left holding the bag...

Lightning Zwei
Aug 7, 2013

Sanky Panky posted:

Don't buy penny stocks. Just don't.

They are cheap for a reason...(Because they are garbage)

At the end you don't want to be left holding the bag...

I know, I've taken it off my watch list. It's evident that I still need to work on rule #1

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Wow I was trying to buy TSLA off the bottom and Scottrade is giving me a "CR99: Trading of Nasdaq stocks is currently not available online. Please call your local branch." error :argh:

tiananman
Feb 6, 2005
Non-Headkins Splatoma

Lightning Zwei posted:

I know, I've taken it off my watch list. It's evident that I still need to work on rule #1

Only 1 in 3000 penny stocks ever gets uplisted to a major exchange. What that means, is that 99.999% of penny stocks go to zero.

When you buy one, you're holding a burning match. People think they can "game" the system and buy a penny stock just long enough to sell it to someone else. Most of the time, you are the someone else.

One of the traders I know says that if you want to verify if there's a market to sell a micro-cap stock, you should try to sell it short first. Take a small short position. If you can't sell the short position at today's prices, what makes you think you'll be able to sell your bigger long position later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Acquilae posted:

Wow I was trying to buy TSLA off the bottom and Scottrade is giving me a "CR99: Trading of Nasdaq stocks is currently not available online. Please call your local branch." error :argh:

Looks like they're doing you a favor.