Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
It's not all peaches and cream in Xbox land, I assure you. It was mostly entirely broken yesterday with very few people managing to get into the tutorial (let alone past it into Free Roam). It only finally seems to have calmed down a bit in the past few hours, but mostly a lot of things are still not working properly and are extremely janky.

IF you manage to get past the tutorials, which requires a lot of luck, then attempting any kind of lobby mode - ie anything other than free roaming - will just see you stuck in some endless menu loop and forced to restart.

Don't attempt to play lobby modes right now.

Free roam seems to be fine except limited by what you can actually do right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Madden Protip for you 360 guys: Make sure your router is set to UPnP or you have the LIVE ports forwarded. That's how I was finally able to get past the tutorial and online. PS3 guys making sure your ports are open too is probably a good idea but sounds like something's way more hosed on the Sony side of things.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Baron FU posted:

Cool. But it actually works for some people on Xbox while it's not working at all for PS3. Hence the few kinks on Xbox and a complete shitshow on PS3.

I'm curious. What point are PS3 users here getting up to before it shits the bed? I know of a few people who have gotten into the PS3 version within the last hour and are playing, while others can't at all. Almost exactly the same as 360 players.

GruntyThrst posted:

Madden Protip for you 260 guys: Make sure your router is set to UPnP or you have the LIVE ports forwarded. That's how I was finally able to get past the tutorial and online. PS3 guys making sure your ports are open too is probably a good idea but sounds like something's way more hosed on the Sony side of things.

Cheers, might give this a crack.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

tehsid posted:

I'm curious. What point are PS3 users here getting up to before it shits the bed? I know of a few people who have gotten into the PS3 version within the last hour and are playing, while others can't at all. Almost exactly the same as 360 players.

The one before the start for me, I can make a dude, but then it errors out going in.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

tehsid posted:

Which makes me think it may be a case of Live having better infrastructure than PSN, which isn't R*'s fault at all then. For all we know, either Sony's or Microsoft's backends are the real bottlenecks.

Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009

tehsid posted:

You can make your character but you cannot get online 99% of the time. And if you get online your characters won't save.

So yes it's quite a bit worse than Xbox 360. It's also the reason that 90% of the streams playing GTA:O is on Xbox360. The 10% is people trying to log in to PS3.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

tehsid posted:

I finished the ride to the race at the beginning. My dude automatically walks up to the mission marker to start the race, then a cutscene plays where some dude pulls up in a car and starts to get out. As soon as he gets out, it says "Failed to join activity" or something like that. Then it kicks me to single player. If I try to switch back to multi, it cuts to my dude walking to the mission marker and the same thing happens.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

Yeah, making sure your ports are forwarded/you're using UPnP on your router is really important. Though obviously Rockstar are having huge issues, it probably wouldn't help to have NAT issues on top of it.

If you manage to get past the creation and past the intro, into the first tutorial race, let it sit and wait when it says 'Loading session...' That seems to take some time to get going (it took about five minutes for me when it finally worked).

The potential for griefing in Free Roam is still alive and well. Not only can people now camp others' vehicles waiting for them to return (brings back memories of WoW), but really any time you're inside a store that's a death trap waiting to happen.

Not to mention you could simply back up your personal vehicle to the store entrance and lock the doors. But that would be mean :)

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Oct 2, 2013

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Ham posted:

This is probably what PS3 users are going to get once the R* servers actually allow them to host/join sessions.

I got this far on PS3, once! So I guess I will count myself lucky.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

tehsid posted:

Cheers, might give this a crack.

Create a character - > Joining GTA Online -> Failed to host GTA Online session / Timed out while joining a compatible session -> Kick to Single Player

If you go to the Online tab in singleplayer you can choose Solo Mode which instantly starts the intro, but then the game moves your character to the race trigger and repeats the error messages above, kicking you to singleplayer. It's been like this for 24 hours now, sometimes the game says "Rockstar cloud servers are unavailable" instead of the error messages, and sometimes it just deletes your characters which happened to me twice.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Lugubrious posted:

I finished the ride to the race at the beginning. My dude automatically walks up to the mission marker to start the race, then a cutscene plays where some dude pulls up in a car and starts to get out. As soon as he gets out, it says "Failed to join activity" or something like that. Then it kicks me to single player. If I try to switch back to multi, it cuts to my dude walking to the mission marker and the same thing happens.

Ok. Yeah, that is what I'm having on 360. Just port forwarded though, so we'll see if that helps.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
So I think I've totally screwed my game.... I put my armored car heist escape car in the multistory car park near the golf course. The garbage truck doesn't fit in but the mission demands I drive it in there :eng99:

Edit: Wiggling it around in the entrance seems to get me close enough for destroying it to become an option!

Carecat fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Oct 2, 2013

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Not sure if this got caught in the 1200 posts, but apparently the title update also fixes the garage car saving problems, can anyone confirm this?

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

tehsid posted:

Ok. Yeah, that is what I'm having on 360. Just port forwarded though, so we'll see if that helps.

Keep trying! I went over to my buddy's house earlier and he mentioned the same problem on his 360. He tried to get on for shits and giggles, and after a few tries he got in. Came home hoping that meant it would work on PS3 but no such luck.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I managed to escape that first tutorial mission going nowhere on one character and fool around doing nothing in GTAO PS3 yesterday, progress wasn't saved of course. Never noticed pop-in but GTAO is definitely running lower resources than single-player here and there.

HotCheetoChallenge
Jun 17, 2012

iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou
And remember to keep extra saves in case your single player gets borked.

How could stuff like MP progress not being saved be PSN's fault, jw

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

MZ posted:

Not sure if this got caught in the 1200 posts, but apparently the title update also fixes the garage car saving problems, can anyone confirm this?

Yeah, seems like it is. I had one of my previously saved (and vanished) souped-up cars magically reappear after a mission earlier today.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Carecat posted:

So... I put my armored car heist escape car in the multistory car park near the golf course. The garbage truck doesn't fit in but the mission demands I drive it in there :eng99:

I think I've totally screwed my game.

Hmmm, can't you just blow up the garbage truck? You have to destroy it anyway. I parked my getaway car on some construction site, 2-3 miles from the place the heist was. Not sure I understand the concept, getaway car :D

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

lady blue shanghai posted:

How could stuff like MP progress not being saved be PSN's fault, jw

Characters seem like they're being saved partially to your console, but mostly to the cloud servers. When they can't keep a stable connection, it won't save your progress.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

TjyvTompa posted:

Is there a list somewhere of the cars Simeon wants delivered in Online? The textmessage with the list disappeared as soon as I did another mission.

The list changes each time you load back into Free Roam.

Harmonica posted:

attempting any kind of lobby mode - ie anything other than free roaming - will just see you stuck in some endless menu loop and forced to restart.

Don't attempt to play lobby modes right now.

In my experience, it works fine if you avoid the free roam launch points. (blue circles)

For those who haven't experienced it yet, you get texts with missions from NPCs. Accept one. Invite friends, or don't, but do the mission.

When it completes, it doesn't kick you (and your party) back to free roam, and you can together choose from six other missions, replaying the last mission, or refreshing the selection of six. It appears to be a very stable method of trying game modes. (All fighter deathmatch is pretty drat fun, I can tell you.)

More NPCs and mission types unlock as you level. For instance, at 15, wave survival missions became available.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Too pro for Tennis, haven't finished a match yet because they keep leaving.
Honestly it's not that hard to return a serve. I just move to the corner then aim to the furthest side, most people can't seem to return that.
Also I think the game just told me to take a shower...

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

I don't think it's a ports issue for PS3 as I have the PS3 on my routers DMZ with "Console Mode On". Still fails to host a game session.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

MZ posted:

I had a car I bought online finally show up after I patched the game so yeah they fixed some things.

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
Any stream of online?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I played GTAO with some goons all night with only a couple issues, stats reset at least once, and my minimap is stuck enlarged permanently making it impossible to see my health or armor. This bug won't actually go away upon switching back to single player or restarting the game from the dashboard. Despite that issue, it was still a load of fun all night.

A lot of the races are fun, even though the person who breaks out of the pack at the beginning is usually guaranteed to win, the ability to turn every single one of them into Mario Kart is great. At one point we all piled into a helicopter to chase people around, but its not actually that effective, so instead we flew to the army base and attempted to steal jets.

Eventually we started doing jobs and discovered that the mission Meth'd Up is ridiculously good for grinding RP and cash. Its a mission where you have to go to a bar and steal a RV and deliver it while you get attacked by rednecks along the way. Somebody figured out that none of the enemies would spawn on the way to the dropoff if you just drove over the mountains and avoided touching the roads entirely. When you complete the mission you get $5000 and 1100 RP (crew bonus included), and then when you replay the mission it puts you right across the street from where you get the RV. You basically kill 13 guys and offroad for a couple minutes for the same payout as getting 1st in most races. Hopefully people don't farm this too much, or they may nerf the payout from it before people can even play this on the PS3.

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

Still no luck for Australia PS3 here.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Harmonica posted:

Yeah, seems like it is. I had one of my previously saved (and vanished) souped-up cars magically reappear after a mission earlier today.

I found one I'd souped up for a getaway car in a random alley while evading the cops. It was weird.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

JGBeagle posted:

Just tried to start a shooting range challenge and now I'm waiting at the launching session screen again. Why couldn't I be contempt with just killing pubbies. :negative:

I don't think that's the right word for what you're trying to say :crossarms:

Broseph Brostar posted:

I played GTAO with some goons all night with only a couple issues, stats reset at least once, and my minimap is stuck enlarged permanently making it impossible to see my health or armor. This bug won't actually go away upon switching back to single player or restarting the game from the dashboard. Despite that issue, it was still a load of fun all night.

Did you try going into the settings and making the safe zone smaller?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
If I don't start GTAO, is the main game still stable to play? It won't break anything? And can we access the BAWSAQ? I want to know how those Pisswasser stocks are doing!

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Main game is still available, just reports of been booted online eating saves.

BAWSAQ still going. Looks like Pisswasser still on the rise, but H&L has begun to drop.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Woke up this morning, PS3 version still hosed. Had some lunch and a nap, PS3 version still hosed. Ah well, knew it'd be like this, not going to cry about it.

I am bothered about the lovely character creation and other baffling decisions. Tried making a second character to watch the intro movie again, and it really is just impossible to get any real variety in how you look. Not with any ease. The girl I ended up making was basically identical in game to my first attempt, only blond. How hard would it be to just have some stock choices to choose from? Might as well just choose a race, gender, height and body type and just hit the random button until you get something passable. I greatly prefer Red Dead's version where you choose a stock character, even though you can't customize their clothes. Considering clothing and skin colour are pretty much the only thing that's going to matter, the creation process is far too annoying for something that ends up producing clones anyway.

I did get 10 minutes of glitched solo free roam last night. Sad that the online character is silent. Even just one male and female voice option would be good. I don't want fully voiced cutscenes or anything, but there's no swearing at people, there's no annoyed shouts when you run out of ammo, just no audio feedback from your avatar for any action. Again, this is different from both Red Dead's online, and the tens of hours I spent in this game in single-player. If I can't swear during a game of golf then it's going to be less enjoyable. I know a huge part of that is offset because I am supposed to provide all the voicing for the character, but it's not the same. Just some grunts and screams would go a long way.

It sounds like there is a lot they could have learned from RDR's online but didn't. Now that game wasn't perfect, and has way too loving many menu options that are really off putting at first, but it lent itself to everyone finding their preferred way to play. All casual free roam with no PVP at all, so players could hunt AI gangs together. All expert targeting free roam so you could play only with people that also liked to shoot stuff based upon skill rather than lock on. (Although they never patched the thing where you could join an expert free roam, then switch to baby targeting and get instant kills with sniper rifles at half a mile. Thankfully it would be clear they were cheating by the death messages, and most people were cool on expert free roams in my experience, but still.) The kickvote-spam and passive mode stuff sound very beta version right now.

Probably not a bad thing that getting online is impossible, gives them time to get some feedback and early polish on some of this other stuff.

Vetitum
Feb 29, 2008

If anyone is playing on the xbox at the moment give Vetitum an add to your party. I'm pretty tiered of playing with pubbies.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Whats the deal with the people on the street that you can talk to? I'm talking about people who show up as light green (?) dots like Jane who talks about self-actualization and that washed up actress who offers to show you her muff. The tip says to press D-pad right to talk to them, then they talk and nothing else really seems to happen. I usually end up sucker punching them but I'm wondering if something else is supposed to happen.

CheechLizard
Jul 1, 2000

It stays at 50%, goy!
Every single female generated character looks like a bad transvestite

Dogtanian
Jan 31, 2007

This space intentionally left blank
So with the lost car fix in place does this mean that cars in your garage will now respawn like your planes/choppers? Would be nice to be able to drive the exotic cars in the garage without worrying about destroying or losing them.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

VagueRant posted:

I want to know how those Pisswasser stocks are doing!

Piss is on the up, but the future is all Whiz. Get in on the ground floor.

Speaking of BAWSAQ, did anyone actually buy shares in Tinkle early enough to make a profit? It's mentioned in game by a random character as a tip-off, so I am sure a lot of people bought into it, which is of course what they intended, because the price then shot up. It's now really expensive and doesn't look like investing in, but I'd love to have bought some of it a few weeks ago.

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Oct 2, 2013

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

Got in solo! Let's see if I can invite anyone.

Couldn't do it before the car race so it quit... So close, yet so far away.

ExplodingSquid fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Oct 2, 2013

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Hatbox Ghost posted:

Did you try going into the settings and making the safe zone smaller?

The problem isn't that its blocked, its just that the larger map that shows up replaced the smaller minimap that has health bars attached to it.

For anybody that doesn't know, in multiplayer pressing down on the d-pad doesn't zoom the map out like it does in singleplayer, instead you have to press it twice and it replaces your minimap with a awesome huge section of the map so you can easily figure out where people are going.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

CheechLizard posted:

Every single female generated character looks like a bad transvestite

With his make up, my male character is a bad transvestite ;-*

kcer fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Oct 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

Broseph Brostar posted:

The problem isn't that its blocked, its just that the larger map that shows up replaced the smaller minimap that has health bars attached to it.

There's an option to change your minimap permanently to the larger map (it's pretty useful for keeping an eye on where people are) - are you sure you didn't select that?

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Oct 2, 2013

• Locked thread