Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Trying to recall a quirky 90's hitman movie. It was very stylized and abstract, had something of an all-star cast for a quirky 90's hitman movie, and everyone dueled from behind giant-assed desks and sang lots of Frank Sinatra. I sure hope this is enough information, because God help me if there are 2 or more movies that fit this description.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Try "Mad Dog Time" aka 'Trigger Happy."

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.
A few years ago, I caught the tail end of a short film on AMC (or similar cable channel). All I remember of it was a shot of an elderly lady sitting on a floral couch, with a small [coffee?] table, a phone and a picture of Pope John Paul II. A voiceover explains the scene: "Sometimes, the Pope dials a wrong number. Mrs. ________ [person's name] is waiting." (Or some similar line.) There was perhaps one more short scene and then the credits ran.

I want to say that the entire film was about people waiting for things, but I only caught the very end. I've never forgotten that scene, though, and have long wondered what the rest of the film is/was. Any thoughts?

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
I am so sorry, Movie-Goons, if this turns out not to be a real movie. :psyduck:

Premise (that I remember correctly//incorrectly): vintage//retro style hospital//mental asylum, and there's a male coma//mental patient who happens to have been vegetative//unresponsive most of his stay (got hurt when he was a teen I think?). Expereimental drug is used and he wakes up//becomes coherent, and the rest of the ward the drug is tested on has similar results. Heartwarming stuff happens (mental patient field trip!)), but the drug starts to have terribly ill effects or stops BECOMING effective, so they take him off of it as well as the rest of the ward. He slowly loses his mind, and doctor who has befriended him is sad.

That's it. I don't know if I was drunk or hallucinating the whole movie, but I could SWEAR I remember it. :gonk: When I remember catching it on the TV I was going through a really rough and self-harmful period and I was also giving hospice care to three family members, who all managed to die. Due to that...about 3 and a half years of memory (between 16 and 20) are gone almost entirely...so I end up grasping at straws.

Thanks in advance!!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

That sounds a lot like Awakenings.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Based on a really incredible true story. The movie only exaggerates slightly. I believe there is a doc called "The Frozen Addicts."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Isn't Awakenings based on an Oliver Sacks thing?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Isn't Awakenings based on an Oliver Sacks thing?

Yep, on the book of the same name. They Americanized the setting and characters.

ExMortis
Feb 14, 2012

Let's RUNNING!! :ussr:
I think this was probably some kind of Christian channel original family movie but there's an outside chance it was a real film. Mid-late 80s?

Some Russian exchange student? refugee? teen boy moves in with, I think, a highly religious American host family, and he gets a job at an arcade or Chuck-e-Cheese or something, which I believe his host brother also works at. The Russian kid is being pursued by evil Soviet spies I think with the implication that he shouldn't be allowed to pursue religious freedom. I think there was a scene where they hassled him as he was trying to close the arcade.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Oh Gosh! That's just the movie! Thank you! The minute I saw it I remembered it.

:unsmith: The idea of bringing back those considered gone had really appealed to me, at that point. I'll have to watch it again now that I'm not waiting on anyone else to 'go'.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
There's a movie, I want to say it's a TV movie, but it's about a little black or hispanic kid living in the NYC subway tunnels and coming up by day to steal food or something. I wish I had more details but I remember loving that movie.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

There's a movie, I want to say it's a TV movie, but it's about a little black or hispanic kid living in the NYC subway tunnels and coming up by day to steal food or something. I wish I had more details but I remember loving that movie.

Runaway?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That sounds right, now I have to track down a copy. Thanks!

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
skimmed the thread sorry if this is a repeat.

Its a movie I saw on the USA network. Its about a group of scientist working in a lab for a nasa contractor. one of their co workers gets into an accident and they put him in a prototype robot suit. Well his brain anyway. But they didnt put in all the chips for the brain interface or something. So if anyone on touches him he goes crazy and kills them.

He tracks down his wife and talks to her through a stero system.

At the end he tracks down the villian in the story who throws his wife at him. He catches her but doesnt kill her cause he figured out how to reprogram himself to stop it.

Then there is a show down between him and another cyborg

I really wanna say the movie was named something like the thinkinator or I might have that wrong

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
Here's one that's been rattling round my noggin for a while.

Might have been a World War 2 movie, taking place in the ruins of some city or other. The only scene I remember happens where a man who seems to be living in a ruined home takes in a small boy (likely the protagonist) and gives him food (maybe rice?). The boy, who lives in the ruins or whatever they were, hasn't eaten in a while and wolfs it down. The man becomes angry and tells him he needs to chew his food properly. As far as I can remember, he tells him that he needs to chew it eleven times.
Actually, maybe I'm mixing two movies up here. The main points are:

- A guy gives a boy some food.
- The boy, hungry, wolfs it down.
- The guy scolds him and tells him exactly how many times he needs to chew it. Probably eleven.

It kind of sounds like "The Island of Bird Street", but I can't find any mention of the chewing scene anywhere. I have no idea why that scene stuck with me :shobon:

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Shanty posted:

Here's one that's been rattling round my noggin for a while.

That boy is Christian Bale in Empire of the Sun.
"Chew every mouthful six times to get the benefit".

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

westborn posted:

That boy is Christian Bale in Empire of the Sun.
"Chew every mouthful six times to get the benefit".

Ooooh, thanks! Aside from having clearly seen it years ago, I have no recollection of having even heard of this movie. Looks good, though! I was definitely conflating it with something else, though.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

max4me posted:

Its a movie I saw on the USA network. Its about a group of scientist working in a lab for a nasa contractor. one of their co workers gets into an accident and they put him in a prototype robot suit. Well his brain anyway. But they didnt put in all the chips for the brain interface or something. So if anyone on touches him he goes crazy and kills them.

He tracks down his wife and talks to her through a stero system.

At the end he tracks down the villian in the story who throws his wife at him. He catches her but doesnt kill her cause he figured out how to reprogram himself to stop it.

Then there is a show down between him and another cyborg

I really wanna say the movie was named something like the thinkinator or I might have that wrong

Ack, I'm pretty sure I watched this on telly (could be a telemovie?) in the late 80s and clocked it at the time as a blatant Frankenstein retelling. Does the ending happen in a radio telescope observatory? I can't recall it's name at all, though.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
1) There's some movie I thinking of where a guy who has previously lived with apes or something has some travails and at the end goes back to live with the apes. There's a scene at the end with a voiceover (I think) where he's sitting in the rain just letting it run over his face like he's ignorant to it (a skill or perspective or something they he picked up from the apes) and the scene is trying to demonstrate that he belongs in this kind of situation. Maybe it's Sean Connery?

2) What movie is this? And is that scene on YouTube?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sheep-Goats posted:

1) There's some movie I thinking of where a guy who has previously lived with apes or something has some travails and at the end goes back to live with the apes. There's a scene at the end with a voiceover (I think) where he's sitting in the rain just letting it run over his face like he's ignorant to it (a skill or perspective or something they he picked up from the apes) and the scene is trying to demonstrate that he belongs in this kind of situation. Maybe it's Sean Connery?

2) What movie is this? And is that scene on YouTube?

You are close. It's Hopkins

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
TY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT9XpbD_LJ8

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
Okay, I got a weird one.

My uncle has tasked me to find a movie he remembers seeing as a kid, about a conflict between a Nazi and Allied armored division. The catch is, they've been dead for years and are now zombies or ghosts or something and just keep fighting. He's pretty sure it's set in the arctic or the alps. Apparently the last shot is of a zombiefied tanker manning a machine gun.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Gr3y posted:

Okay, I got a weird one.

My uncle has tasked me to find a movie he remembers seeing as a kid, about a conflict between a Nazi and Allied armored division. The catch is, they've been dead for years and are now zombies or ghosts or something and just keep fighting. He's pretty sure it's set in the arctic or the alps. Apparently the last shot is of a zombiefied tanker manning a machine gun.

I don't know how old your uncle is, but maybe Dead Snow?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1278340/

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

ladron posted:

I don't know how old your uncle is, but maybe Dead Snow?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1278340/
This was my first thought but he says he saw it in the theater when he was a kid, which would put it sometime in the sixties or early seventies, he says he think it came out before "The Last Man On Earth". And I don't think he's talking about "The Frozen Dead".

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame
Shock Waves, maybe?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076704/?mode=desktop

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Nope. I thought of that one too but he's sure the three defining features of this film are snow, tanks, and zombies. It may also have been black and white. It may also have been an Iron Maiden album cover for all I know.

Also, I have a personal one that should be easy as someone identified this back in one of the original threads:
it's a British movie, there is a woman who is a cannibal, time or dimensional travel is involved, and at the end the surviving characters merge together to form a retarded caveman.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Gr3y posted:

Was it animated? Heavy Metal (1981) has a segment like that: http://youtu.be/M7ccCsPdH-k?t=44m

SausageMahoney
Feb 20, 2005

See!? I told you it wasn't me going through your garbage. See!? Deer.
I'm trying to remember the name of a movie that I've seen a few times, on Comedy Central I think, when I was younger. It's such a faded memory that I can't narrow it down better than 1980-2005. So that doesn't help much.

Basically its about these teenagers who were obsessed with this "Feed Bag" thing that they sold at 7-11 and Circle K type stores. Production of the product was coming to an end, so the young characters were all trying to get the last few by breaking into the stores...any ideas?

I now have no memory of this movie. But I had posted this question in a different thread in November of 2010 to no avail. And it would be pretty amazing to illuminate this small dark spot of teenage media gratification that's lost in the growing swamp of my adulthood. Many thanks for any help.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

SausageMahoney posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a movie that I've seen a few times, on Comedy Central I think, when I was younger. It's such a faded memory that I can't narrow it down better than 1980-2005. So that doesn't help much.

Basically its about these teenagers who were obsessed with this "Feed Bag" thing that they sold at 7-11 and Circle K type stores. Production of the product was coming to an end, so the young characters were all trying to get the last few by breaking into the stores...any ideas?

I now have no memory of this movie. But I had posted this question in a different thread in November of 2010 to no avail. And it would be pretty amazing to illuminate this small dark spot of teenage media gratification that's lost in the growing swamp of my adulthood. Many thanks for any help.

Some quick googling seems to indicate it might be Killer Bud.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0177885/

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
Ok here's one that will test ya all.
Earlier my daughter tried to describe a movie to me.
Apparently there's a guy with no top who has a monkey and a girl with no shoes.
It may be called "Cruise" or something that sounds like that or just reminds her of that word.
And it may be a cartoon.

I already guessed Aladdin and was told a very stern no.

I would love it if anyone could get it because it's driving me mad trying to guess...

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

This is a long shot, but it sounds like it could be Swiss Family Robinson.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054357/

Starblind
Apr 4, 2007

Encomium in colour
Pippi Longstocking in the South Seas?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Gr3y posted:

Also, I have a personal one that should be easy as someone identified this back in one of the original threads:
it's a British movie, there is a woman who is a cannibal, time or dimensional travel is involved, and at the end the surviving characters merge together to form a retarded caveman.

The Final Programme, Michael Moorcock's Jerry Cornelius movie?

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
It turns out it was The Croods she was trying to describe.

Would have guessed it quicker if I hadn't forgot that movie ever existed...

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 6, 2013

SausageMahoney
Feb 20, 2005

See!? I told you it wasn't me going through your garbage. See!? Deer.

ClydeUmney posted:

Some quick googling seems to indicate it might be Killer Bud.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0177885/

Thanks a ton. This 'Google' thing you speak of sounds great, I should get with the times.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

This may have been part of an anthology TV series, or maybe it was a film. I'm not quite sure.

It's from the late 60's/early 70's, and it's in color. A group of college students are staying in a home with an old woman, and unbeknowst to the woman, they're running an experiment on her to see if they can drive her insane and/or get her to commit murder. They use trickery to get her to believe that she's seeing ghosts, and she's convinced (or believes that she's had a premonition?) that a young woman in the house is going to drown because of this spirit.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

School Bully posted:

The Final Programme, Michael Moorcock's Jerry Cornelius movie?

That sounds about right. Thank you.

Starblind
Apr 4, 2007

Encomium in colour

Davros1 posted:

This may have been part of an anthology TV series, or maybe it was a film. I'm not quite sure.

It's from the late 60's/early 70's, and it's in color. A group of college students are staying in a home with an old woman, and unbeknowst to the woman, they're running an experiment on her to see if they can drive her insane and/or get her to commit murder. They use trickery to get her to believe that she's seeing ghosts, and she's convinced (or believes that she's had a premonition?) that a young woman in the house is going to drown because of this spirit.

This one might be The Big Cube.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Starblind posted:

This one might be The Big Cube.

Thanks, but no. I'm pretty certain they were college students attempting an illegal experiment just to see if they could drive the woman insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Kung Fu Panda has a scene where a fighter's hands catch fire during the battle, and it triggered a memory of another film with a similar scene. It may have been another kung fu movie but I'm not sure. I remember that the bad guy's hands catch on fire, but the good guy is able to dodge his attacks, rendering the fire kind of counter-productive. Still, it stuck with me because it seemed kinda of dangerous to have fire waved around in your face like that.

Ring any bells?