Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galler
Jan 28, 2008

"I know how things used to work* 15 years ago in this fast paced field where everything changes every couple years :smug:"

*I probably didn't understand the way things worked 15 years ago either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Galler posted:

"I know how things used to work* 15 years ago in this fast paced field where everything changes every couple years :smug:"

*I probably didn't understand the way things worked 15 years ago either.

But after 15 years of hard study and exposure, let's implement this token ring network

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Vin BioEthanol posted:

A good reference image for adjusting rgb values between 2 displays?

We have some 55" LCDs on the walls to display stats, they each are driven by a PC in a wiring closet and some VGA over twisted pair boxes made by extron, they work great. Needed another LCD up there but found out we can't buy extron anymore, had to get some geffen brand. I didn't notice when I set it up but a user of it pointed out to me the "Christmas red and green" of his app looked pea green and pink. These new boxes have rgb adjustment screws, I'll display the same image on a good old extron one and the new lovely geffen one and twist poo poo till it looks right. Or is there a more methodical geeky way of going about this? The TV settings themselves are correct if you plug PC in directly or watch cable.

For quick and dirty adjustments I like

or one of the grayscale bar patterns

Either one should get you in the ballpark. I'd start by plugging in directly and displaying the same image to make sure all the panels are roughly similar before you start twisting dials on the geffen box.

If you want to go a step further Windows has a calibration wizard. Or use any of the multi-step web guides to set the white/black points, contrast, brightness, etc. if you want to go the extra mile.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I actually think this may have been the case with ring networks, right?

edit: oops, beaten

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed
Just pulled the trigger on iOS 7 on my phone after it finally started nagging me with a red 1 badge on settings. Update through iTunes failed over and over again so I had to free up 3gb of space (pretty difficult on a 16gb phone) to upgrade from the device itself. I miss my instant post to Facebook and twitter buttons in notification center but other than that I'm loving it. I was so wary of upgrading after the last 2 weeks brought me a parade of people who ended up either wiping or bricking their iDevices after upgrading AS SOON AS POSSIBLE despite my general email warning people to wait until there was a .01 release at least.

So many users with encrypted backups on their computers that they don't have the password for and iCloud backup turned off. My precious data! I must keep it as secure as possible! I don't want to just leave it up in the cloud! Who cares if I can never get it back!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

frogbert posted:

Here's a quick and dirty. You'll need to give users permission to modify their Computers AD object description but I don't see that as being a massive security issue. Any optimizations or constructive criticism is welcome.

Oh very cool. Thanks for the info.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Tyson Tomko posted:

So I got in a "fight" recently with the guy in charge of our big rear end company's entire hardware line.
I, too, have to put up with cargo cult sysadmins with seniority.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

CitizenKain posted:

We've been rolling out new Cisco C-series and SX-20 video units for a bit, and recently they've shipped with version 6 on the firmware. This apparently added a neat feature that breaks the address book if you don't have a call manager/gatekeeper on your network, which I'm sure Cisco would be more then happy to sell to us. So far no one has noticed this is broke yet, so I really hope a case I have open with Cisco will answer some questions, because I'm sure stumped.

You can always downgrade the codecs to an older version. You can request a software release key for an older version here.

IamJacksAlcoholism
Apr 29, 2013

Liquor ipsum dolor sit amet golden dream stolichnaya; jose cuervo ballantine, brandy manhattan! General sherman ramos gin fizz blue hawaii. Glendronach myers grog pisco sour ketel one kamikaze bananarita oban glen keith dufftown. Negroni montgomery, murphy's cuba libre rum swizzle. Vodka martini

frogbert posted:

Here's a quick and dirty. You'll need to give users permission to modify their Computers AD object description but I don't see that as being a massive security issue. Any optimizations or constructive criticism is welcome.

Since you are already using WMI, you could skip the AD call and use Win32_NetworkLoginProfile. This will give you a list of all accounts that have successfully logged in. The "Name" property and the "NumberOfLogons" property can be used to determine the primary user or users of the machine.

Is matching the computer to a user really that important?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Today a developer emailed me because he was using FTP and wanted me to check his firewall settings. I knew it shouldn't be an issue, but I went to go see what the real problem was. The issue, of course, is that he was typing the password (which was emailed to him in plaintext) incorrectly. This was very clear on cursory inspection, because the error message being spit out by the FTP server explicitly said that the credentials were wrong. (It took a few minutes to discover this, because for some reason, when prompted to attempt to log in so I could see the issue, he was disinclined to do so.

I know developers often don't really know poo poo about computers outside their specialty, but I'd expect one to at least read and understand that message, and try retyping the password. Not only did he not retype it on his own, he was even resistant to the idea of retyping the password when I suggested it, but eventually he did it and it worked. Of course.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

n0tqu1tesane posted:

You can always downgrade the codecs to an older version. You can request a software release key for an older version here.

Yea, I'm thinking I might have to, depends on how the TAC thing goes.

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Huh, it seems there'd be a more novel approach to this. I can't be the only one who needs to try to match machine to user.

Your question reminded me of something a client I deal with did:
- ~200 computers (out of ~15k) to replace due to them being 8+ years old that can't be physically located
- Decide to disable logins to those machines with a message to call IT so you can find them
- No testing of your login disabling solution and also have no intention to do say a few at a time
- Trigger the script for disabling at 12pm
- Script is busted and instead disables logins for every single computer anywhere
- Helpdesk are swamped with calls about disabled computers but they expected that and therefore it takes 30 minutes before someone realizes what has happened
- No re-enablement script has been written

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

door.jar posted:

- ~200 computers (out of ~15k) to replace due to them being 8+ years old that can't be physically located
- Decide to disable logins to those machines with a message to call IT so you can find them
- No testing of your login disabling solution and also have no intention to do say a few at a time
- Script is busted and instead disables logins for every single computer anywhere
- Helpdesk are swamped with calls about disabled computers but they expected that and therefore it takes 30 minutes before someone realizes what has happened

That is glorious.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

door.jar posted:

Oh boy.

I know it's not what you did, and may not be relevant now, but if anyone wonders of a quick and easy way to do this without loving up, AD Tidy is a great program for finding old machines and disabling them.

Or old user accounts. Or, whatever you felt like.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

TWBalls posted:

Did they not have a way to disable that in the BIOS? We've been doing that on our Dell Latitude E5510's because the Anesthesiologists keep hitting the switch, then complain they can't connect to the network. This normally isn't a big deal as it's just flipping the switch but this is in an OR, so you have to put on a bunny suit, bouffant cap and face mask just to flip that drat switch.

Didn't seem to be an option for it.

HalloKitty posted:

Oh boy.

I know it's not what you did, and may not be relevant now, but if anyone wonders of a quick and easy way to do this without loving up, AD Tidy is a great program for finding old machines and disabling them.

Or old user accounts. Or, whatever you felt like.

Oh my god I wasted a day doing this manually to a single (large) OU why didn't I know about this before.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Vin BioEthanol posted:

A good reference image for adjusting rgb values between 2 displays?

We have some 55" LCDs on the walls to display stats, they each are driven by a PC in a wiring closet and some VGA over twisted pair boxes made by extron, they work great. Needed another LCD up there but found out we can't buy extron anymore, had to get some geffen brand. I didn't notice when I set it up but a user of it pointed out to me the "Christmas red and green" of his app looked pea green and pink. These new boxes have rgb adjustment screws, I'll display the same image on a good old extron one and the new lovely geffen one and twist poo poo till it looks right. Or is there a more methodical geeky way of going about this? The TV settings themselves are correct if you plug PC in directly or watch cable.

Only way to really do this throughly is to get something like one of these.

I have one, they're awesome.

Probably not worth the expense for your task though.

Splashy Gravy
Dec 21, 2004

I HAVE FURY!
Slippery Tilde
Acceptable phonetic spelling of SMTP: Sam Michael Telephone Pole

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

CitizenKain posted:

Yea, I'm thinking I might have to, depends on how the TAC thing goes.

What exact problem are you having? We support a lot of Cisco SX and C series systems in standalone environments without VCS or CUCM, it would be helpful in case we ever run into a similar problem what to look for.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
So dumb question, I've seen desktop guys in here talking about telling users "don't give me your password".

Whenever I need to be on as a user I have to get their password, and that's standard for all desktop guys at my company, what are you all doing? resetting it to something and giving them the new pw you set? Or is there a way to make a temporary second "technician" password? Something's come up recently that I'm thinking of asking my boss to look into alternatives to our s.o.p.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Vin BioEthanol posted:

So dumb question, I've seen desktop guys in here talking about telling users "don't give me your password".

Whenever I need to be on as a user I have to get their password, and that's standard for all desktop guys at my company, what are you all doing? resetting it to something and giving them the new pw you set? Or is there a way to make a temporary second "technician" password? Something's come up recently that I'm thinking of asking my boss to look into alternatives to our s.o.p.
At my last gig I spent so much time trying to drill our security policy into users heads (ie. don't share accounts, don't write down passwords on sticky notes under your keyboards, etc) that to then ask them to tell me their passwords would have created a confusing mess. When I needed to fix something on a user account that couldn't be done via admin tools I would screenshare to their already-logged in workstation or just stop by their desk on the way to get coffee.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Vin BioEthanol posted:

Really? You do that? And people actually give you the passwords?

That's awful security.

Yes there are ways around it.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

ConfusedUs posted:

Really? You do that? And people actually give you the passwords?

That's awful security.

Yes there are ways around it.

Yeah we do, always have. What are the ways around it?

Remoting in to an already logged in workstation won't work all the time, Sometimes I'll have to reboot and log in as them again, the screen could lock if I walk away for a bit, most of the time I take their laptop back to my workroom and even if I could track them down, they'd probably be annoyed at me calling them back here to type their pw x times.

Literally the only thing I can think of is resetting it and then giving them the new one but that comes with its own problems.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...

tehloki posted:

What am I supposed to be gawking at here? That windows experience index bullshit is pretty useless as a performance metric.

Some folks a few months back made a big deal about how I was getting a fancy GeForce GT 620 card in the machine. It's how Asus specced it, I didn't request it, I just thought it would be a nice bonus and superior to Haswell/onboard graphics.

It is the sole reason for this tremendous let-down of a score.

It performed fine but now that the fan headers are crapping themselves I really really really wish I hadn't bought this thing. The only positive is that I now have a daily reminder "DO NOT BUY ASUS"

And the BIOS password-locked netbook is a constant reminder never to buy Acer again. They want :100bux: to unlock it, there's no way to DIY it.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Vin BioEthanol posted:

Remoting in to an already logged in workstation won't work all the time, Sometimes I'll have to reboot and log in as them again, the screen could lock if I walk away for a bit, most of the time I take their laptop back to my workroom and even if I could track them down, they'd probably be annoyed at me calling them back here to type their pw x times.
If you have to do something that requires user account credentials, including rebooting, the user has to sit there while you work on it. Make that a condition of the ticket, and offer to schedule it for when it's convenient for them. Sure they're going to bitch, but if that's policy it isn't on you.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Vin BioEthanol posted:

Yeah we do, always have. What are the ways around it?

Yeah, I would like to know how people deal with this as well. I typically don't get users' passwords unless they just insist on telling me. Remoting in works, but I usually just go to their desk.

The real time it's an issue is when working on someone's problem while they're with a client and mostly unreachable. Resetting their password will stop email working on their phone, and their phone having the wrong pass will lock them out in a couple minutes. These situations are rare enough for me that I just figure something out beforehand with the person.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I couldnt get any work done without a list of function user passwords. Since those only give local access its not THAT horrible. The sensitive data is in citrix with their credentials. Of course there is the whole desktop document poo poo. And local software with access. So really it is bad. :saddowns:

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed
The main reason I tell users not to tell me their passwords and just make them sit there and enter them themselves when I need to authenticate for something is to avoid "what's my password again?"

I have a few very important user/pass combos for stuff that the user will never remember their credentials for -- and they don't have to because their title ends in "president" or "officer" -- stored in 1password.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I'm doing something at least once a day that I need to be logged on as a user and I prefer to be back in my cave, I get swarmed when seen out on the floor. If I do sit down at a desk with a user, working with them on a problem, people will seriously walk up and start talking to me without an "excuse me" or an "everyone in my dept forgot the helpdesk #" or anything, just bam, interruption.

So I remote control what I can, the user will already be logged in and on the phone with me. I do a lot of machine swaps/win7 upgrades and if it's xp to start with, I have to get pw to decrypt efs files, if it's a high-level person I want to login as them and make sure all works as them before they're in the office next for about a half hour before they get on their next flight.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 2, 2013

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

drat, you need to walk around more often if you're always getting swarmed.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

GreenNight posted:

drat, you need to walk around more often if you're always getting swarmed.

They're supposed to call in tickets.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed
I avoid walking out on the floor because people seem to be just fine with putting off telling me about problems until they see me walk by (which 100% of the time means I'm either going to the bathroom, leaving for lunch, or on my way to help somebody else who called/emailed me first) and then it's PLEASE HELP IMPORTANT URGANT. I deliberately take the most circuitous routes around the office to avoid running into coaches or interns.

Vin BioEthanol posted:

This is why it sucks to walk around the office if you're in IT. Creating a ticket must be the hardest thing in the goddamn world.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Mierdaan posted:

Pfft, Ask Me About migrating us from a binder full of CDs, full of PST files originally exported from an Exchange archive mailbox, to GFI MailArchiver. Pulling them all off the CDs (literally hundreds of them, going back 10+ years and over 150GB in total), copying them up to the server and importing them back into an archive mailbox with PowerShell so that MailArchiver could import them via EWS.

:suicide:

da fuk..?

I was all set to oneupsmanship b0red and here you come along.

I'm dealing with a mess of a PST situation where I'm at that should've been done 6 years ago. But due to the Citrix team having their profile provisioning hosed up, they were still spinning up PSTs up until two months ago when I finally threw them under the bus. I've already migrated 10k+ PSTs (over 350GB of data) into Enterprise Vault since the beginning of the year. Thankfully, 99.99% of them through some automatic process.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

We don't have a ticketing system. Our ticketing system is to call or email me. I can walk around freely about 90% of the time without getting hassled. I even eat lunch in the breakroom without people asking me questions. Most of the times when I do get questions, my answer is "email me and I'll take a look when I get back to my desk".

I personally feel that for IT, walking around is good customer service.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed

GreenNight posted:

We don't have a ticketing system. Our ticketing system is to call or email me. I can walk around freely about 90% of the time without getting hassled. I even eat lunch in the breakroom without people asking me questions. Most of the times when I do get questions, my answer is "email me and I'll take a look when I get back to my desk".

That seems like the worst of both worlds. We don't have a ticketing system here either, the standard is to email me, call me, or (most often) wander over to my cube. If somebody does flag me down with a problem when I'm walking around though, I do tend to just go back and find them when I'm free. "Email me" isn't the most customer-servicey thing to respond with if being customer-servicey is your deal.

e: Please disregard if you have to track your time in some way for management, I can understand how impossible it can be to account for a day where you didn't get back to your desk for 3 hours because of walk-around flag-downs.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

GreenNight posted:

I'd agree with you and would/will in some cases create a ticket for a person who stops me/calls me/emails me but I usually have a bit of a backlog on tickets that people actually did take the time to call in and it's really not fair to them for me to put someone in front of them, letting that person skip procedures, skip 1st level helpdesk troubleshooting just because.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Vin BioEthanol posted:

So make them. By letting them skirt around policy you're reinforcing that behavior, and as long as they're getting what they want they have no incentive to change. If it's difficult for you to stand up to people, and believe me, I understand this, it helps to carry a clipboard with you and if someone tries to grab you, keep walking while gesturing to it and say, "Sorry but I'm in the middle of something big, open a ticket and I'll get to it as soon as I can". You have to do this every single time, and as long as you are actually responding to and resolving tickets in a reasonable time frame, a good portion of your users will adjust to the new way of doing things.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

tehloki posted:

That seems like the worst of both worlds. We don't have a ticketing system here either, the standard is to email me, call me, or (most often) wander over to my cube. If somebody does flag me down with a problem when I'm walking around though, I do tend to just go back and find them when I'm free. "Email me" isn't the most customer-servicey thing to respond with if being customer-servicey is your deal.

e: Please disregard if you have to track your time in some way for management, I can understand how impossible it can be to account for a day where you didn't get back to your desk for 3 hours because of walk-around flag-downs.

It depends what the issue is - I certainly cant give you rights to a folder while I'm walking to a meeting, but I can help you figure out why the projector you're using is cutting off half the screen.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

tehloki posted:

I avoid walking out on the floor because people seem to be just fine with putting off telling me about problems until they see me walk by (which 100% of the time means I'm either going to the bathroom, leaving for lunch, or on my way to help somebody else who called/emailed me first) and then it's PLEASE HELP IMPORTANT URGANT. I deliberately take the most circuitous routes around the office to avoid running into coaches or interns.

This is why it sucks to walk around the office if you're in IT. Creating a ticket must be the hardest thing in the goddamn world.

Vin BioEthanol posted:

I'm in the process of trying to talk to administration about this very issue. I've taken to compare it to visiting a doctor. When you're sick and have to visit the doctors office, you have to sit in the waiting room and fill out forms. Then, when you finally get to see the doctor, you then have to tell him your symptoms. "Help us, help you".

Same thing with a ticket. Give proper contact information, give your computer name (and printer name/IP, if applicable) and a brief description of the problem (actual error messages would be great). Just those few simple things would be a massive help. I don't know how many times I've had issues tracking down users because they gave the wrong contact info. Likewise, there's been plenty of times where I'm on call and could fix something quickly by remoting in, but because they didn't provide a computer name, they now have to wait for me to drive in (not as big of a deal now that I'm closer, but when I was in Modesto, that meant a good hour and a half wait).

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

door.jar posted:

I showed up an hour late one day and during that hour, someone at my company decided to delete all of the computers and servers off of our AD to "clean it up" (admittedly it was a horror show) assuming it would repopulate when those computers reconnected to the domain. Fun couple of days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Roargasm posted:

I showed up an hour late one day and during that hour, someone at my company decided to delete all of the computers and servers off of our AD to "clean it up" (admittedly it was a horror show) assuming it would repopulate when those computers reconnected to the domain. Fun couple of days.

There is a 1 rule for all active directory administration that you must understand, always DISABLE, never delete.

• Locked thread