Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Has anyone gotten 1.2 working on a mac yet or does the other original method from the OP still work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

stradiwari posted:

What. the. poo poo. I have no idea how to build a house. Please show the rest of it!

Work in progress, many thanks to Cruentare, the one who builds our houses while I scour the deeps for treasures and traps to adorn with.

NPC housing. I think we overbuilt by one house exactly, not knowing how many new NPCs there would be. Note the rooftop access, switches control actuators that provide a door for leaving/entering via the top, as well as providing safe passage over the half-bucket lava defenses on the roof for loot collection.

Above-ground farm. Blue mushroom farm is underground, and I'm currently working on using actuators to harvest mushrooms and crystals. Same half-bucket of lava roof defense.

Portrait and teleporter room, also a work in progress. Teleporters are amazing. Note the yellow pressure plates on the protrusion on the left, they're activated only by non-players.

I put a lever in to activate the protrusion defenses just to show them off :v: Note that the dart traps on the bottom of the screen are inactive through the use of actuators. That means mob can walk right past them into the death zone just past them. A signal will activate the actuator as well as the dart trap, bringing them into the foreground and firing at the same time.

The full extent of the spiky ball defenses. You can have 4 balls per trap out and bouncing at the same time, making a multi-hitting screen wide death zone. I'm going to try and make an automated boss arena using a combination of these and the fire traps.

I made the outside exterior obsidian because of its explosive resistant properties. A fancy obsidian generator helps keep the supply of it flowing.

Frida Call Me fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 2, 2013

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I am apparently missing a step, how do I mine chlorophyte? I've got a Titanium drill at the moment.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Potential BFF posted:

I am apparently missing a step, how do I mine chlorophyte? I've got a Titanium drill at the moment.

Drax worked for me, just grab some hallowed bars off of the twins, the destroyer or skeletron prime.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Has anyone found a source of ichor yet?

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Matrim posted:

NPC housing. I think we overbuilt by one house exactly, not knowing how many new NPCs there would be.

Looking at the wiki there are at least two NPCs you don't have. I don't know how right the wiki is.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

If I want to get the most out of this new update should I start over completely or just start a new world with my just-made-it-to hardmode character?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Matrim posted:

Above-ground farm. Blue mushroom farm is underground, and I'm currently working on using actuators to harvest mushrooms and crystals. Same half-bucket of lava roof defense.

Just a note that glowing mushrooms grow above ground now, if you didn't know.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Akett posted:

Looking at the wiki there are at least two NPCs you don't have. I don't know how right the wiki is.

Clothier is refusing to move into his house until the server restarts. Who else am I missing?

Tenebrais posted:

Just a note that glowing mushrooms grow above ground now, if you didn't know.

Neat, didn't know that. Thanks!

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Matrim posted:

I got a couple from a water-ish enemy in the crimson. Looked kinda like an eyeball.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Matrim posted:

Stay in the hardmode underground crimson for a minute or five and you'll be drowning in ichor. It's the crimson version of the cursed flame basically.

Edit: Kinda wish there was a map checker thingy like MoreTerra out already. I cannot for the life of me find another Plantera flower, and jungle enemies hurt like hell even with Hallowed gear. Maybe I should start getting turtle gear in the mean time or something.

a cartoon duck fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 2, 2013

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
So as any way to rig the map gen yet? I would love to see a map with all the new things and all the new ores.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

SheepNameKiller posted:

If I want to get the most out of this new update should I start over completely or just start a new world with my just-made-it-to hardmode character?

I started over completely and I don't regret it at all. Starting up is a completely new experience, with a much, much smoother advancement curve due to ropes/homemade hooks/wooden armour/more chests/etc.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Matrim posted:

Clothier is refusing to move into his house until the server restarts. Who else am I missing?

A witch doctor and a pirate, and I'm not sure about the pirate. There may yet be others I haven't read about on the wiki.

I seem to recall the patch notes saying that 8 NPCs were added to the game, but I don't know how to get any of them.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Akett posted:

A witch doctor and a pirate, and I'm not sure about the pirate. There may yet be others I haven't read about on the wiki.

I seem to recall the patch notes saying that 8 NPCs were added to the game, but I don't know how to get any of them.

Yeah, I've checked out both oceans and found no pirate ships so I'm at a loss. Maybe cannons are required for the pirate to show up?

masam
May 27, 2010
Ok guys, i'm pretty much Mac Illiterate is there anyone willing to give me hand on getting this onto my laptop, I understand most of the guide but I can't find the game files.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

I found some ice skates and now I don't slip on the ice which is great because my spawn is in a big ice biome. Also, building a house out of the floating island materials is great.

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax
Man I forgot how much of a pain in the pixelated penis underground water is. This goddamned Staircase to Hell is now well over schedule thanks to unexpected water pockets.

Although Eminent Domain means it piles through, like, three different underground houses. W3RD.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
Does crimtane not spawn at all in the Crimson or am I just missing it? I ran through the whole biome with a spelunker potion and saw nothing but tin, lead, and some gems.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Minarchist posted:

Does crimtane not spawn at all in the Crimson or am I just missing it? I ran through the whole biome with a spelunker potion and saw nothing but tin, lead, and some gems.

It spawns all over the place, in tiny pockets, though you'll get far more beating up the first boss. If you can mine crimtane you can probably beat up the Eye. You need a fair bit to build anything.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

OwlFancier posted:

It spawns all over the place, in tiny pockets, though you'll get far more beating up the first boss. If you can mine crimtane you can probably beat up the Eye. You need a fair bit to build anything.

The Eye or the Brain? I killed the brain without too much trouble and just got a bunch of tissue samples.

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897

Minarchist posted:

The Eye or the Brain? I killed the brain without too much trouble and just got a bunch of tissue samples.

The Brain definitely drops ore, too. Sounds like your inventory was full, or else the drops were buried underground.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Has anyone found Marshmallows yet? I wanna get my friends together and have a nice 'mallow roast over a fire. :3:

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

jfjnpxmy posted:

Man I forgot how much of a pain in the pixelated penis underground water is. This goddamned Staircase to Hell is now well over schedule thanks to unexpected water pockets.

Although Eminent Domain means it piles through, like, three different underground houses. W3RD.

Stay the course, continue digging until you reach hell, then go back and dig up all of the dams you made. Teach that water a lesson for existing!

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"
Well, I might be the first frustrated and disappointed with the update. Leaving whether stuff shows up in the world to the RNG was a pretty dumb move. My world has no living trees, no pyramids that I can see, and it got stuck with Corruption. I'd like to see the Crimson, and you know, experience the new content. Guess my best option is making another world, scouting it, and making another if it has Corruption. Hopefully a world edit program will be made available for 1.2 soon so I can force the game to spawn everything properly.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Matrim posted:

Yeah, I've checked out both oceans and found no pirate ships so I'm at a loss. Maybe cannons are required for the pirate to show up?

I read about that on the wiki, a pirate map will drop off ocean enemies. I've no clue if this requires hard mode or not.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Do Pyramids spawn on the surface, or are they buried deep underground? I'm planning on starting up a server with friends, and while we want the pleasure of discovering that world on its own time, we also don't want to miss out on the new randomized content. To that end, we were thinking of spawning a world, bringing in one of our old highly mobile characters, and having one of us scout the surface to make sure we've got Crimson, snow biomes, and suchlike before rolling new characters. It'll be good to know if pyramids are one of those things we can check off, instead of leaving to chance.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Pyramids do spawn on the surface, though most of the time they're half buried. You can always see the tip at the very least, however, so just make sure to pay attention.

The problem is that other aspects aren't 100% guaranteed, such as Hives and I think maybe the Jungle Temple? You won't have any trouble with snow biome, that poo poo seems way way too frequent as it is.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Pyramids are generally visible from the surface, but they can be buried under sand. Just be observant in any patches of desert.

e: I think the Jungle temple might be a thing that spawns in at onset of hardmode, but I haven't verified this.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Man I wish there was more stuff that used Crimtane/Tissue samples. I've got like 4 stacks that are totally useless except as a building block.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

How much easier did the patch make the previous hardmode bosses? They were pretty hard for me without using the hellstone bricks trick.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
This might be common knowledge but I just realized that you can mouse over things like ore, chests and urns on the big map and it'll show you exactly what they are. Spelunker Potions are even crazier than I thought.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Got Plantera down, went to explore the jungle dungeon. Wasn't going too bad until I did a think that summoned the boss 100% unexpectedly.

As far as new NPCs, I have:

Painter
Party Girl
Steampunk Girl
Pirate
Cyborg
Witchdoctor
Dye vendor

I think there is one more and I think it's something about mushrooms, but no idea how to get him to show up.

On an unrelated note, does anyone know how to get teleporters to work?

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

kazil posted:

I think there is one more and I think it's something about mushrooms, but no idea how to get him to show up.

On an unrelated note, does anyone know how to get teleporters to work?

Have you checked out a hardmode mushroom biome? First place I'd look for a mushroom dude.

Teleporters work by wiring them together and perhaps having levers at both ends.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

My friends and I got the mushroom guy to spawn more or less immediately after we started Hard Mode. All I can think of is that we had an above-ground mushroom biome sitting on top of our base. Maybe that spawns it? No idea about other NPCs, though. Also, the Wall of Flesh must have been made easier, because we sort of trashed it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Party girl is like the painter in that they just show up after you recruit so many other NPCs.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Did they fix the default server settings kickbanning people who used Minisharks with Crystal Bullets for 'projectile spam' or is that still a thing? Because a minishark with crystal bullets and the 'chance to not spend ammo' armor was badass, except for the fact that it got you kickbanned in multiplayer.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Some NPCs I know. (Or think I know)

Dye vendor Have an item in your inventory that can be made into dye
Pirate Enemies in the ocean biome have a chance to drop a treasure map. This summons a pirate invasion like the gobline invasion. The pirate shows up after you defeat it.
Painter have a paining in your inventory
Cyborg defeat Plantera

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Akett posted:

Have you checked out a hardmode mushroom biome? First place I'd look for a mushroom dude.

Teleporters work by wiring them together and perhaps having levers at both ends.

Yep, connect two teleporters together with a wire and put a lever attached to the teleporter on both ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kumquat
Oct 8, 2010

Matrim posted:

Yep, connect two teleporters together with a wire and put a lever attached to the teleporter on both ends.

:aaaaa:
Helleporter.

• Locked thread