Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I you really want more meat flavor with your meat, serve it with a jus.

But if you create the perfect milk steak let me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Make a rosemary compound butter and melt a pat of it over each steak after you cook them.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I know there's the zip lock bag trick when doing SV. When you throw butter, etc. into the mix, is it absolutely necessary to use a vacuum sealer or can you continue to use the zip lock method?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Shadowhand00 posted:

I know there's the zip lock bag trick when doing SV. When you throw butter, etc. into the mix, is it absolutely necessary to use a vacuum sealer or can you continue to use the zip lock method?

Just get as much air out as possible. Using a sealer is the easiest way to do that, that's all.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Shadowhand00 posted:

Butter is solid, so it's trivial to put everything into the bag then dunk it in water and seal it once the air's all pushed out.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I have a big ol' Calphalon pan that's not nonstick and not iron either (I don't know what it is but it seems to heat evenly and is very flat) but I can't seem to properly sear a steak. It looks like a Dalmatian more often than not. I've tried brushing a thin veneer of oil on the pan, or on the steak (on both is too much and leaves liquid in the pan to cause trouble) but it just makes for a very spotty sear.

No photos since it's been a little while, the last food I photographed was Okinawan sweet potatoes we had with macadamia nut butter and candied ginger.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
As a trick for zipper bags, if you're having issues with them not sinking, use binder clips to weigh them down.

Alternatively magnetic stirring rods in the bags work on a pinch, if you have any.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I mean, experimenting is good, but usually you have a basis for it rather than making like a 6 year old and making potions out of dirt, water and clay in the sandbox. You're not going to get anything good or interesting out of a milk-marinated steak.

I'm a lab biologist so I have some idea of what I'm doing. :)

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

ShadowCatboy posted:

Milk will bring nothing to the party though flavor or texture wise you might as well be "Marinating" in water.

Also since when did being a biologist have anything to do with cooking?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

ShadowCatboy posted:

If you were like, an organic chemist, that'd be a better argument.

As a biologist, you should apply your skills to making some cheese. Delicious homemade blue cheese.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

ShadowCatboy posted:

My wife has a PhD in Biology and she has no idea what she is doing in the kitchen.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

dalstrs posted:

My wife has a PhD in Biology and she has no idea what she is doing in the kitchen.

Well, ShadowCatboy's actually written and done some really interesting things here in the past, so let's not judge him harshly for just wanting to faff around and play in the kitchen.

Besides, I've always heard (whether true or not) that calcium fucks around with the enzymes that break down proteins, alongside the lactic acid or whatever Bob Loblaw. Maybe just buy real (butter)milk and not the 2% Lucerne poo poo (that I drink).

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Ca2+ is a pretty major component in activating a ton of enzymes, some of which are proteases that break down other proteins. The big question really is how much Ca2+ is actually soluble. I'm under the impression that the calcium ions are bound to binding proteins in the milk, but pasteurization may have denatured them sufficiently to be released.

In any case that's a bunch of blah word salad. Suffice it to say that I was simply curious and wanted to try something new since I discovered that even small amounts of vinegar have catastrophic effects on a steak and wanted to try something new.

Also my first major was molecular biology, so there's plenty that's close to ochem. :)

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Or just apply some heat to a hunk of meat and shove in mouth. Not that complicated!

Doh004 fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Oct 1, 2013

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Milk-marinaded steak on the right, comparison with normal steak on the left. Took on a VERY pale hue.

Well. Is this good? I'm not sure if this is good. :stare:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I think that's how it's supposed to look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z99dT3qlBMA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ALecGtJfoc

Did you boil it hard with the milk and honey?

Drifter fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Oct 2, 2013

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
12 hour marinade in milk, sous vide for 1 hour at 135* F. Probably should've done it two degrees lower, TBH.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

That you thought this was a good idea, and then after numerous warnings that it was a bad one, you continued anyway. I don't even know what to say. You win internet, you win. :psyboom:

also how does one manage to overcook a steak in an immersion circulator :psyboom: :psyboom: :psyboom:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Congrats on your overcooked milksteak I guess. Next time you should try cooking it sous-vide in some hot ham water reduction.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Heh, its his money. I know there were wwawrnings, but this is kind of entertaining/interesting, if only for the sake of finding out how he's going to enjoy it/hate it.

:science:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
But marinating meat in milk has been a thing for a very long time. Why are you all getting high and mighty about this?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Drifter posted:

But marinating meat in milk has been a thing for a very long time. Why are you all getting high and mighty about this?

Cooking with onion soup mix is also a thing that has been around for a while.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Does anyone have a good simple recipe for a country-fried steak and gravy? I want to try making some this weekend.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

GrAviTy84 posted:

That you thought this was a good idea, and then after numerous warnings that it was a bad one, you continued anyway. I don't even know what to say. You win internet, you win. :psyboom:

also how does one manage to overcook a steak in an immersion circulator :psyboom: :psyboom: :psyboom:

I currently use a stovetop setup with a digital thermometer and a ceramic pot full of water, so control is more fiddly. 135* is fine though, given that it's ribeye. I just prefer to err on the side of rare.

Also the milksteak is currently in the fridge drying out to prepare it for the sear today, so I can't really say whether it's become horrible or not. Will report back when I sear it for my post-workout dinner when I bulk up on protein and what is hopefully milksteak deliciousness.

One thing I will say though is that the texture of the steak seemed more tender than usual. However, given that I don't have a control steak to compare it to this is fairly speculative.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

protip: dry aging the steak would have been the better way to intensify the cow, as it were. All you really did was dilute it down and now you're trying to intensify whatever remains.

Besides, if all you really really want is some intensely cow flavor dense meat, just make jerky.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ShadowCatboy posted:

I currently use a stovetop setup with a digital thermometer and a ceramic pot full of water, so control is more fiddly. 135* is fine though, given that it's ribeye. I just prefer to err on the side of rare.

Also the milksteak is currently in the fridge drying out to prepare it for the sear today, so I can't really say whether it's become horrible or not. Will report back when I sear it for my post-workout dinner when I bulk up on protein and what is hopefully milksteak deliciousness.

One thing I will say though is that the texture of the steak seemed more tender than usual. However, given that I don't have a control steak to compare it to this is fairly speculative.

Some people have said to soak the steak in milk for a day (12 hours or whatever) and then take it out and marinade the now soaked meat with a real marinade for another night or so before cooking. A marinade of garlic, whiskey, honey and soy sauce or whatever other marinade of your choosing.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

GrAviTy84 posted:

protip: dry aging the steak would have been the better way to intensify the cow, as it were. All you really did was dilute it down and now you're trying to intensify whatever remains.

Besides, if all you really really want is some intensely cow flavor dense meat, just make jerky.
This is going to sound stupid but this is why I don't like vizzling my steaks much anymore and why my favorite way to prepare even tender proteins is slow-roasting (the last vizzled lamb chops were really disappointing compared to my much-less-accurate slow-roast).

Drifter posted:

Some people have said to soak the steak in milk for a day (12 hours or whatever) and then take it out and marinade the now soaked meat with a real marinade for another night or so before cooking. A marinade of garlic, whiskey, honey and soy sauce or whatever other marinade of your choosing.
I mean if ShadowCatboy was doing this with something that wasn't the best steak on the cow it would be whatever. But to do weird stuff to a ribeye is, bleh.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 2, 2013

Marv Albert
May 15, 2003

Has anyone mentioned reverse pan roasting in here yet? It's my go-to method for steaks and chops since trying it one day.

Heat your salted and lightly oiled steak, in your pan of choice, in a ~350 oven to an internal temperature of ~100. Then, about a 90-second sear per side is enough to get good color and an internal temp of 120-125. I find this method doesn't dry out the outside to the steak to the extent of regular pan roasting, plus it has the bonus of getting your pan much of the way to rip-roaring hot for the searing.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Marv Albert posted:

Has anyone mentioned reverse pan roasting in here yet? It's my go-to method for steaks and chops since trying it one day.

Heat your salted and lightly oiled steak, in your pan of choice, in a ~350 oven to an internal temperature of ~100. Then, about a 90-second sear per side is enough to get good color and an internal temp of 120-125. I find this method doesn't dry out the outside to the steak to the extent of regular pan roasting, plus it has the bonus of getting your pan much of the way to rip-roaring hot for the searing.
I prefer doing it in a really low oven - like 175-200 - for a few hours or as long as it takes. Then you let it rest for 20 minutes, then you do the sear. This gets a more even cook and it further desiccates the outside of the meat.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Supreme Allah posted:

Does anyone have a good simple recipe for a country-fried steak and gravy? I want to try making some this weekend.

I'm a fan of Alton Brown's:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/chicken-fried-steak-recipe/index.html

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Welp, here we go!

As usual I sear my steaks in bacon fat. Since I didn't have any on hand, I had to render some down.

The milksteak. Step 1: Marinade for 12 hours in milk. Step 2: Pat dry, season with salt & pepper on both sides and air-dry in the fridge on a cake rack overnight. Step 3: Sous vide 135* for 1 hour. Step 4: Air dry overnight again.

Note the somewhat leathery appearance of the surface. While I had some concerns over the milk proteins burning in the pan, I also suspected that with the sous vide the proteins would just incorporate themselves into the meat. Hypothesis confirmed.

Step 5: Sear for a beautiful crust!

Wow! The meat turned out to be just fine. At the recommendation of goons who like Always Sunny in Philadelphia more than I do, it was paired with a side of gourmet Jelly Belly brand jellybeans.

Sorry about the washed-out appearance. Combination of fluorescent lighting and a poo poo cellphone camera led to a glare-ridden and washed-out photo. In reality the jellybean was much greener and more vibrant than this image suggests.

The lime flavor really helped elevate the flavor of the meat with its crisp, aromatic quality. Bubblegum did wonders to accentuate the fatty richness, and the smoky flavor of the crust took licorice jelly bellies to a whole new level. Pretty decadent, and the variety of flavors from the Jelly Bellies made the experience of eating the steak a real adventure with the dozens of new flavor combinations available!

...I'm just making GBS threads you guys, obviously.

The outer skirt of the ribeye was succulent and tender as usual. The inner "eye" of the ribeye had a slightly more acidic quality, probably from the lactic acid in the milk. However, it wasn't unpleasant at all, and actually gave the meat a more savory quality. Could've used another slight dusting of salt and a hint more pepper given the thickness of the meat, but overall it was good.

The meaty quality was still there, and in fact some of the fattier pieces took on a very mild milky/cheesy flavor that I kinda liked. Overall I'd experiment again, maybe with a longer marinade. For now though I think I'll do a more classic version with the second ribeye this weekend.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

ShadowCatboy posted:

Welp, here we go!

As usual I sear my steaks in bacon fat. Since I didn't have any on hand, I had to render some down.

The milksteak. Step 1: Marinade for 12 hours in milk. Step 2: Pat dry, season with salt & pepper on both sides and air-dry in the fridge on a cake rack overnight. Step 3: Sous vide 135* for 1 hour. Step 4: Air dry overnight again.

Note the somewhat leathery appearance of the surface. While I had some concerns over the milk proteins burning in the pan, I also suspected that with the sous vide the proteins would just incorporate themselves into the meat. Hypothesis confirmed.

Step 5: Sear for a beautiful crust!

Wow! The meat turned out to be just fine. At the recommendation of goons who like Always Sunny in Philadelphia more than I do, it was paired with a side of gourmet Jelly Belly brand jellybeans.

Sorry about the washed-out appearance. Combination of fluorescent lighting and a poo poo cellphone camera led to a glare-ridden and washed-out photo. In reality the jellybean was much greener and more vibrant than this image suggests.

The lime flavor really helped elevate the flavor of the meat with its crisp, aromatic quality. Bubblegum did wonders to accentuate the fatty richness, and the smoky flavor of the crust took licorice jelly bellies to a whole new level. Pretty decadent, and the variety of flavors from the Jelly Bellies made the experience of eating the steak a real adventure with the dozens of new flavor combinations available!

...I'm just making GBS threads you guys, obviously.

The outer skirt of the ribeye was succulent and tender as usual. The inner "eye" of the ribeye had a slightly more acidic quality, probably from the lactic acid in the milk. However, it wasn't unpleasant at all, and actually gave the meat a more savory quality. Could've used another slight dusting of salt and a hint more pepper given the thickness of the meat, but overall it was good.

The meaty quality was still there, and in fact some of the fattier pieces took on a very mild milky/cheesy flavor that I kinda liked. Overall I'd experiment again, maybe with a longer marinade. For now though I think I'll do a more classic version with the second ribeye this weekend.

You'd probably get a better effect by dusting the outside with powdered milk before searing. The milk sugars will boost the caramelization rate. Heston Blumenthal does something similar to chicken bones when roasting for chicken stock.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I actually did try that once, and I didn't really like how it turned out. Hence the use of whole milk this time.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Yum, burnt calcium!

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Despite the stupidity of the milk steak that looks better than 90% of the steaks posted in here.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Does anyone have a good technique for getting a good crust on a thing steak? I just cooked one since I couldn't get something thicker and even cooking it straight from the fridge it was medium at best in the thicker parts with a pretty crap crust

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Scott Bakula posted:

Does anyone have a good technique for getting a good crust on a thing steak? I just cooked one since I couldn't get something thicker and even cooking it straight from the fridge it was medium at best in the thicker parts with a pretty crap crust

Main thing I've seen is drying it as much as possible and then a nice hot pan.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Scott Bakula posted:

What kind of pan, how hot was the pan?

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Posting this for my future use. Because I love steak, but I suck at making it. And in my small apartment, the smoke from the process can set off the fire alarm, which is annoying. Smells delicious, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

J.A.B.C. posted:

Posting this for my future use. Because I love steak, but I suck at making it. And in my small apartment, the smoke from the process can set off the fire alarm, which is annoying. Smells delicious, though.

If you live in an apartment and haven't taken the fire alarm off the wall, you're not doing steak correctly.

• Locked thread