Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Are there any randomly-spawning enemies (hardmore or otherwise) that can pass through walls/wreck walls at the ground level?

I'm trying to figure out the best way to make a safe haven base that can still temporarily open to get NPCs, then be sealed in. I did this in the space-biome near the very top of the map, just to find out once we unlocked hardmode that Wyverns will spawn outside the house, then slaughter the NPCs within it :(

I just want one fairly-secured base so that unless someone summons the Eater of Worlds or something nearby, the base should fine. Is that even possible, or not really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
So, how do I make titanite bars, or whatever they are called? A mythril anvil alone does not seem to be working. =/

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Is there a limit to the distance teleporters can be from one another?

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Tarquinn posted:

So, how do I make titanite bars, or whatever they are called? A mythril anvil alone does not seem to be working. =/

If it's like the pre-1.2 Adamantite, you need to get enough ore to make an Adamantite forge first, then you can make bars on the forge.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Tarquinn posted:

IIRC you need an Adamantium Furnace, which used to be found in Hell and also craftable once you got some bars, not sure what the deal is now.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

S.T.C.A. posted:

Are there any randomly-spawning enemies (hardmore or otherwise) that can pass through walls/wreck walls at the ground level?

I'm trying to figure out the best way to make a safe haven base that can still temporarily open to get NPCs, then be sealed in. I did this in the space-biome near the very top of the map, just to find out once we unlocked hardmode that Wyverns will spawn outside the house, then slaughter the NPCs within it :(

I just want one fairly-secured base so that unless someone summons the Eater of Worlds or something nearby, the base should fine. Is that even possible, or not really?

A sky palace should be possible, but what you'd want to do is put it fairly high up, but lower than then where the wyverns/harpies spawn. Maybe like halfway between the sky islands and the ground. Surround the fortress with enough dirt so that the game treats it as a normal biome, something like 300-500 blocks. Then even in Hardmode, the worst spawns you'd get would be corrupted goldfish during the blood moon.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

S.T.C.A. posted:

Yes. Reapers during an eclipse can swim through walls and clowns will lob explosives at them during a blood moon. I recommend a skybase about 15-30 squares above the ground below, this will keep you safe from both. Teleporters, actuators or active stone will let you make a safe entrance/exit.

Don't worry about NPCs not being able to get in - click on the housing button in your inventory on the right, then drag their portrait to the house you'd like them to occupy. Have everyone go offscreen for a bit and return, and the NPC should be in their assigned house.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

S.T.C.A. posted:

If it's like the pre-1.2 Adamantite, you need to get enough ore to make an Adamantite forge first, then you can make bars on the forge.

Powercrazy posted:

IIRC you need an Adamantium Furnace, which used to be found in Hell and also craftable once you got some bars, not sure what the deal is now.

Thanks for the reminder! It works exactly the same way as for adamantite.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"
Hey, how does one acquire Frost Armour? I really have no idea how to go about trying to find it or make it.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Matrim posted:

Yes. Reapers during an eclipse can swim through walls and clowns will lob explosives at them during a blood moon. I recommend a skybase about 15-30 squares above the ground below, this will keep you safe from both. Teleporters, actuators or active stone will let you make a safe entrance/exit.

Don't worry about NPCs not being able to get in - click on the housing button in your inventory on the right, then drag their portrait to the house you'd like them to occupy. Have everyone go offscreen for a bit and return, and the NPC should be in their assigned house.

Clowns no longer destroy base tiles, I think.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

Clowns no longer destroy base tiles, I think.

According to the changelog yeah they shouldn't be able to destroy any tiles.

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful
Is there any reason to build an old style metal grappling hook instead of a gem hook? It felt vastly easier to just build a gem hook.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Not that I know of. I think the gem hook has a longer range too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Zoolooman posted:

Is there any reason to build an old style metal grappling hook instead of a gem hook? It felt vastly easier to just build a gem hook.

I got a hook long before I got 15 gems. It'd depend what you got first.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Does anyone know where lime kelp grows? I've checked the oceans and found nothing.

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful

OwlFancier posted:

I got a hook long before I got 15 gems. It'd depend what you got first.

I was lucky crawling around on ropes and easily found a couple bunches of rubies, so I built a gem hook and flew away. :3

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Lord Justice posted:

Hey, how does one acquire Frost Armour? I really have no idea how to go about trying to find it or make it.

Drops from Frost Golems in the ice biome. Probably needs to be a hardmode world.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
It's scary how good the Hermes Boots are now that you can walk up 1-block ledges.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Lord Justice posted:

Well, I might be the first frustrated and disappointed with the update. Leaving whether stuff shows up in the world to the RNG was a pretty dumb move. My world has no living trees, no pyramids that I can see, and it got stuck with Corruption. I'd like to see the Crimson, and you know, experience the new content. Guess my best option is making another world, scouting it, and making another if it has Corruption. Hopefully a world edit program will be made available for 1.2 soon so I can force the game to spawn everything properly.

You can actually tell Crimson/Corruption during worldgen at least, if you pay attention. If you've got Corruption, you'll get the standard "Making the world more evil" message, whereas if you get the Crimson, instead you'll get a "Making the world more meaty" message.

Angry Diplomat posted:

I started over completely and I don't regret it at all. Starting up is a completely new experience, with a much, much smoother advancement curve due to ropes/homemade hooks/wooden armour/more chests/etc.

Yeah, it gets a lot less smooth once you hit hardmode. :gibs:

You wanted hardmode ores? Enjoy having fun living in abject fear of wandering into an underground biome - ANY underground biome - by accident! Even mushroom forests are lethal. Hell is the safest place on the entire map by orders of magnitude.

Shukaro posted:

It's scary how good the Hermes Boots are now that you can walk up 1-block ledges.

I am on an endless quest to find an aglet. It's amazing how I can't seem to find a single surface chest with one any more.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
There really should be a world generation options page where you can force pyramids, pick Corruption or Crimson, etc.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Wow, pirates don't gently caress around.

There has to be more to getting the party girl than having 8 NPCs and a place to live, I've had both of those criteria met for hours now.

Oh Exploitable
May 1, 2013
For the people creating worlds and wanting to know if you got new stuff in it:
I can't speak to ore generation but when I created my new server world last night through the TerrariaServer.exe, it did say that it put in crimson in the progress notes. Problem is that poo poo flies by so fast that it may not be too useful (plus the prompt clearing after generation finishes).

efb; drat you phone typing

I built a house last night tightly wedged between crimson and snow biomes. Love the poo poo out of the new stuff so far, especially the minimap and how enemies change with the weather. Question though - it seemed as though a blood moon was happening the first night in due to the amount of spawns and the water being red, but it was never announced like it used to be, if it was one. Are those two things just new aesthetic changes or are blood moons really silent now?

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

boho posted:

There really should be a world generation options page where you can force pyramids, pick Corruption or Crimson, etc.

Also, it would be cool if Large worlds could generate with pretty much everything and all types of ore, dividing the ore at the middle of the map so you get a specific types exclusively in one direction and all the other types in the opposite direction.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Perhaps the very large worlds will have everything. There has to be a reason for them to exist once they're added.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Akett posted:

Does anyone know where lime kelp grows? I've checked the oceans and found nothing.

I found some in a nondescript natural pool in a cavern.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Well the pirate moved in. I can buy a cannon from him.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Zoolooman posted:

I was lucky crawling around on ropes and easily found a couple bunches of rubies, so I built a gem hook and flew away. :3

I've found a few gem clusters (even a diamond one) but none of the same type, so I have about 12 of a few different gem types. Or I did until I used one type to build a staff.

Akett posted:

I really hope that's some sort of turret.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
If your world doesn't have alternative ores, you don't miss anything. They are just reskins, same with crimson/corruption.

Missing the pyramid/tree sucks, but even without those things there is still tons of new content.

Should be going into hard mode tonight, can't wait!

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Akett posted:

:allears: Do tell about the cannons.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Akett posted:

Wow, pirates don't gently caress around.

There has to be more to getting the party girl than having 8 NPCs and a place to live, I've had both of those criteria met for hours now.

I got the party girl immediately after I beat the jungle boss.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Does the flare gun have a limited ammo supply? No idea what to hunt for it for ammo.

delta534
Sep 2, 2011
Well, I just had the witch doctor appear after I ate something called a life fruit. I found it in the underground jungle and it changed my characters health from 400 to 405.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Flares are limited, but more are sold at the merchant for 7 copper each.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Holy gently caress the Shift key is a godsend. Hold it down to carry a torch/glowstick depending on the environment, click near a block to place a torch, if your mouse is far away it automatically switches to the flare gun (if you have it).

It removes a huge amount of tedium to just be able to shift-click to place a torch instead of actually having to select torches, place one, then switch back.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

So while mining mythril, I see the Blood Moon message along with "You feel the air grow cold around you." Assuming there's some ice-type boss for me to deal with, I use my magic mirror to return to my ice citadel and find Skeletron Prime waiting for me.

1.2 is the best god drat thing ever.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

The same happened on my friend's multiplayer server, but it was a message about the ground trembling before the Destroyer decided to burrow around in our base and kill every NPC. We had just started Hard Mode. It was hilarious.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Tanith posted:

:allears: Do tell about the cannons.

(We need a Mr. Dink emote) Very ecthpensive, 25 gold for the cannon and 15 silver for each cannonball. The cannonballs he sells you don't have the power to gently caress up terrain. You aim them by looking in a direction and clicking on them, I forget which mouse button.

I haven't gotten much chance to play with mine yet, still busy with getting the party girl a gel house so she's not in the Witch Doctor's intended house.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Holy gently caress the Shift key is a godsend. Hold it down to carry a torch/glowstick depending on the environment, click near a block to place a torch, if your mouse is far away it automatically switches to the flare gun (if you have it).

It removes a huge amount of tedium to just be able to shift-click to place a torch instead of actually having to select torches, place one, then switch back.

That was actually in before 1.2, and yes it is so goddamn awesome.
I haven't found all the cool toys everyone else is finding yet, and my first world has corruption instead of crimson, but I'm still immensely pleased with the general 1.2 gameplay additions
1 a map that even records where ore is so you don't have to manically take every deposite you see in case you forget it later
2 walking up slopes, so now walking along the surface isn't a chore, dodging is feasible, and building highways isn't necessary for bosses
3 block stacks going up to one thousand, so that mining doesn't force you to constantly run back and forth depositting stacks of rock and dirt, and building doesn't require you to run back and forth from a chest as much
4 large chest. With 3, no longer will I need 200 boxes just for my rock, dirt, and mud collection. Lots of other like objects can stay in the same box now, too, so I don't have to run around checking every chest for that one thing.
5 The gem craftables that make early game so much less of a slog. You can get a grapple and a loving awesome magic weapon right off the bat. Making jester arrows craftable is also great, makes bows a lot more useful when you don't have to hold on to good arrows for special occasions.

The game is really innovating the entire "genre" of mining games.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

The same happened on my friend's multiplayer server, but it was a message about the ground trembling before the Destroyer decided to burrow around in our base and kill every NPC. We had just started Hard Mode. It was hilarious.

It was my second or third Hardmode night. Maybe it's programmed to give you one early boss to gently caress you up? If so, that's the best thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
In a world with Copper, Lead, Tungsten, and Platinum, it seems like Iron, Silver, and Gold got replaced. Does this mean I can't build specific things like a Sawmill since it requires Iron?

Also what would be the first boss[es] I take on? I'm almost finished making a Tungsten armor set, I have a powerful Undertaker and that crimson heart spear, an ice blade, an enchanted ice boomerang, and a ton of Spiked balls.

Also my Platinum pickaxe still can't mine lots of the good poo poo like crimson blocks, Should I search out those meteorites and try mining/bombing them? this game changed so much since I last played it [Release]

Dizz fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 2, 2013

• Locked thread