Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Wamdoodle posted:

I appreciate the vote of confidence but the only problem is I have no idea how to go about it. Write a letter to my Senator? (Joking, of course)Any advice is welcome. This is in Texas if it helps anyone.

Well, a quick Google search implies that unless they can prove the tank burst due to you misusing the toilet, they can't do anything to you. If you're in Dallas, Austin, or Houston, Google shows there are tenant's rights associations that you would likely want to get into contact with for assistance with people who are familiar with local statutes. I'd go ahead and tell your landlord that the toilet tank leaking was not due to you misusing the property, and any attempts to charge you for damage will be fought in court. A simple threat that shows you have an idea of what your rights are can be enough to get a landlord to back down. You'd be surprised at how many people don't know what their rights are as tenants and will take any charge that their landlord gives them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

deadwing posted:

Well, a quick Google search implies that unless they can prove the tank burst due to you misusing the toilet, they can't do anything to you. If you're in Dallas, Austin, or Houston, Google shows there are tenant's rights associations that you would likely want to get into contact with for assistance with people who are familiar with local statutes. I'd go ahead and tell your landlord that the toilet tank leaking was not due to you misusing the property, and any attempts to charge you for damage will be fought in court. A simple threat that shows you have an idea of what your rights are can be enough to get a landlord to back down. You'd be surprised at how many people don't know what their rights are as tenants and will take any charge that their landlord gives them.

Thanks for the footwork, I should've hit google right afterword but I've been so swamped with other stuff. Poor excuse but that's what helps me sleep at night :) I'll see what I can dredge up. Thanks again.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Here is a question I want to ask of a lot of you. What, specifically, is the reason that you have bought into Ikea? I have nothing but awful horrible bad memories of the store/company, from the age of 6 or 7 to the present time. I don't know why this thread cheerleads for their furniture so much. I'm not asking a rhetorical question, I'd actually like to know.

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

cheerfullydrab posted:

Here is a question I want to ask of a lot of you. What, specifically, is the reason that you have bought into Ikea? I have nothing but awful horrible bad memories of the store/company, from the age of 6 or 7 to the present time. I don't know why this thread cheerleads for their furniture so much. I'm not asking a rhetorical question, I'd actually like to know.

It's incredibly cheap and some of the pieces are pretty sturdy. My house is a mixture of restored vintage furniture and ikea crap. Anything we are going to wear out or that our cats will treat badly is from ikea because I know we will get a couple years out of it and be able to replace it dirt cheap.

Did something bad happen to you at the ikea store? I can't imagine what kind of bad memories you could possibly have about a furniture store.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
I just moved into a new flat. When I viewed it, there was a strong smell of damp, but the letting agency assured me it was just because the flat had been sitting empty for a month and it'd go as soon as it was heated and ventilated again.

I took the flat, and here we are two weeks later. Guess what? The smell's still here. I swear I've tried everything - open windows, high heat, baking soda, vinegar, odour absorber things... and it won't leave.

Obviously I've asked my landlady about this. She said something about the cellar below, and said she's getting a builder in to look at it but "can't get hold of him". I asked for a dehumidifier in the meantime, she said no. My clothes smell of damp and there's mould coming through on the ceiling - the extractor fan in there doesn't even work. Quite a lot of things here don't work, but it's cheap.

Is there anything I can do while I wait for her to slooooowly consult a builder? It's pretty unlikely to be an easy fix, isn't it? I don't see why she couldn't just let me have a dehumidifier in the meantime. I'd buy one myself but they're like £140 :/

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

marshmallard posted:

I just moved into a new flat. When I viewed it, there was a strong smell of damp, but the letting agency assured me it was just because the flat had been sitting empty for a month and it'd go as soon as it was heated and ventilated again.

Sounds almost exactly the same as my situation two months ago. (Except in my case the mold was in the bathroom, I ended up being without bathroom for a full month, after having lived with mold for another.)
Check your contract again, unless you signed on receiving an apartment with mold in it you should demand getting a different home assigned, without paying any additional rent. (Although if the cost of the other place was less, obviously you shouldn't pay the original rent.) Refuse paying full rent until they have fixed it.
You may want to talk to a lawyer, I doubt it's even legal to rent out somewhere that could make you ill. (Mold will make you ill.)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

cheerfullydrab posted:

It's cheap, it's easy to assemble and disassemble(the latter being incredibly useful for moving), it comes in nice clean modern styles and in more traditional styles, and the quality is reasonable for the price. As far as I've seen, the worst part is trying to decipher the pictogram instructions.

It's not the highest class furniture around, but it's more than usable for the 20-somethings that make up most of this thread.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

nielsm posted:

Sounds almost exactly the same as my situation two months ago. (Except in my case the mold was in the bathroom, I ended up being without bathroom for a full month, after having lived with mold for another.)
Check your contract again, unless you signed on receiving an apartment with mold in it you should demand getting a different home assigned, without paying any additional rent. (Although if the cost of the other place was less, obviously you shouldn't pay the original rent.) Refuse paying full rent until they have fixed it.
You may want to talk to a lawyer, I doubt it's even legal to rent out somewhere that could make you ill. (Mold will make you ill.)

Hmm it sounds quite different to how things work in the UK - I don't think there is such a thing as getting a home 'assigned'. It's a private landlady who owns the flat and paid a letting agency to do viewings etc.

I emailed the letting agency before I accepted the flat saying I'd be happy to accept it as long as I could have a dehumidifier, and they said:

"With regard to the dehumidifier, as far as we are aware the property does not suffer from dampness and the smell is a result of the property being vacant and unventilated for a period of time. Should you move into the property and ventilate it sufficiently this should subside quite quickly. If it does not then this may be something the landlord would look into for you."

Unfortunately they're not managing it, they were just finding a tenant. I feel duped, to be honest.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I think that technically this issue isn't an issue, and is how my the oven in my new apartment works, but...

When I use the oven, it BLASTS a bunch of heat from the back over the top of the stove's burners. I guess this is some sort of "warming" feature? But when I say blasts, it BLASTS! I've had other stoves/ovens that did something similar, but never this much heat. I've had the oven on for maybe fifteen minutes and my kitchen (which is decent sized,) is noticeably warmer. I swear I can feel some heat starting to creep into my living room right now, too. It seems like there should be a way to "lower" that little vent, or turn it off or something, but damned if I can find a way.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

marshmallard posted:

Hmm it sounds quite different to how things work in the UK - I don't think there is such a thing as getting a home 'assigned'. It's a private landlady who owns the flat and paid a letting agency to do viewings etc.

Nah I'm wording it poorly.
What I mean is, your landlord should be responsible for getting you somewhere healthy to live while she gets the building fixed, and it should not cost you extra.

Check if there is some sort of national renter's association that might be able to get you legal advice.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

marshmallard posted:

I emailed the letting agency before I accepted the flat saying I'd be happy to accept it as long as I could have a dehumidifier, and they said:

"With regard to the dehumidifier, as far as we are aware the property does not suffer from dampness and the smell is a result of the property being vacant and unventilated for a period of time. Should you move into the property and ventilate it sufficiently this should subside quite quickly. If it does not then this may be something the landlord would look into for you."

Unfortunately they're not managing it, they were just finding a tenant. I feel duped, to be honest.

You were duped. Any time scummy realtors use words like "we are not aware of" or "if it continues you would take it up with your landlord" basically means we think it could become an issue, but by saying this we assume no responsibility and you'll have to sort it out with the landlord.

Did you ask the landlord directly about the dampness before you moved in? Did you even meet the landlord before you signed the lease? And is your conversation with the rental company documented in some way( recorded, email, letter)? If the dampness is not part of your lease, and it's an issue you raised with the landlord before you moved in, you should be entitled to break the lease or do what you can to force her to resolve it in a timely manner. At least those things you would be able to do in the USA anyways. Like someone else said you should see if there are any tenant rights groups or associations in your area.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Haifisch posted:

As far as I've seen, the worst part is trying to decipher the pictogram instructions.

I've never understood how people can't decipher the Ikea instructions. Maybe it's just because I'm a visual person, but I've assembled dozens of Ikea furniture pieces and never once had a "wtf" moment when it came to understanding the instructions. They're far superior to other companies who try to do pictogram instructions (Charbroil grills, for instance. i'm pretty sure half the time I spent assembling my grill was staring at the instructions in confusion).

Ikea isn't the best if you're looking for a piece of furniture you'll have forever, but it's excellent for people on a budget who want to have nice looking modern furniture without draining their entire bank account. No matter where you move if you go to an Ikea the store is absolutely identical to every other Ikea on the planet, which is far preferable to driving around trying to find furniture stores. If you're moving around a lot any damage incurred isn't nearly as upsetting. Break a plate? Head over to your local Ikea and buy a new one for $1. Kitchen table leg gets broken? You're only out a couple hundred bucks tops, as opposed to a couple thousand if you had a quality piece from Ethan Allen or whatever.

The only gripe I have with Ikea is that you can't order anything online and physically have to go into the store to buy what you want.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I've never understood how people can't decipher the Ikea instructions. Maybe it's just because I'm a visual person, but I've assembled dozens of Ikea furniture pieces and never once had a "wtf" moment when it came to understanding the instructions. They're far superior to other companies who try to do pictogram instructions (Charbroil grills, for instance. i'm pretty sure half the time I spent assembling my grill was staring at the instructions in confusion).

Ikea isn't the best if you're looking for a piece of furniture you'll have forever, but it's excellent for people on a budget who want to have nice looking modern furniture without draining their entire bank account. No matter where you move if you go to an Ikea the store is absolutely identical to every other Ikea on the planet, which is far preferable to driving around trying to find furniture stores. If you're moving around a lot any damage incurred isn't nearly as upsetting. Break a plate? Head over to your local Ikea and buy a new one for $1. Kitchen table leg gets broken? You're only out a couple hundred bucks tops, as opposed to a couple thousand if you had a quality piece from Ethan Allen or whatever.

The only gripe I have with Ikea is that you can't order anything online and physically have to go into the store to buy what you want.

You can order some things online but they charge for delivery based on distance from the store, so it's only handy if you live within driving distance of an Ikea and just don't happen to have a big enough car, versus if you live in the sticks and want Ikea furniture.

marb
Oct 21, 2010
If there is a big post on smoke-chat somewhere, someone can direct me to it, but here goes:

Is there any possible remedy that will eliminate the odor from tobacco smoke or at least save all my stuff?

I moved into a room in a student house; the property manager told me that the basement tenants (separate apartment) don't smoke... they do. Of course that wasn't in writing, the lease doesn't mention smoking, and the landlord doesn't give a poo poo. They are allowed to smoke down there. My roommates and I have talked to the basement tenants a bit about it, and they have agreed to try and smoke outside but the fact is that they are both chain smokers and with winter coming it's just going to get worse and worse.

I've looked into air purifiers, vinegar, febreeze, sealing cracks. Whatever. The main floor constantly reeks of cigarettes and the upstairs (where my bedroom is) vaguely does. The more worrying thing is that all of my possessions are slowly starting to smell like tobacco, which to me is loving annoying. Crawling into bed and having all my sheets smell some lovely motel is a pretty big buzz kill.

Has anyone found good results with any situation like this? The air purifiers excited me a bit initially but then I read a lot of pessimistic stuff about how they aren't very effective for tobacco. Thanks

edit: I've been doing some research and apparently a carbon filter is necessary to filter smoke with a purifier - if anyone has any experience with that I'd be grateful for some anecdotal advice

marb fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Sep 29, 2013

Yuriki
Mar 27, 2004

Who the hell do you think I am?
This seems like the go to thread to ask. What's a good computer desk that would hold two monitors and has a keyboard tray? I have a giant desk with a hutch, but I don't really feel like moving with it. I'm thinking sub-$300ish would be good, give or take some.

Danger Dog
Sep 19, 2011

by Hand Knit

Yuriki posted:

This seems like the go to thread to ask. What's a good computer desk that would hold two monitors and has a keyboard tray? I have a giant desk with a hutch, but I don't really feel like moving with it. I'm thinking sub-$300ish would be good, give or take some.

SH/SC's Post Your (Actual) Desktop thread might also be a good place to ask.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

quote:

Furniture Talk

Does anybody have tips for sturdy, yet inexpensive chairs? I'm moving into a place where I'll be able to use my table as a table, instead of as a second counter. I'm kind of a fatty, though, so I have to be picky about my chairs. Metal folding chairs are still on the field as a last resort :smith:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

marb posted:

If there is a big post on smoke-chat somewhere, someone can direct me to it, but here goes:

Is there any possible remedy that will eliminate the odor from tobacco smoke or at least save all my stuff?

I moved into a room in a student house; the property manager told me that the basement tenants (separate apartment) don't smoke... they do. Of course that wasn't in writing, the lease doesn't mention smoking, and the landlord doesn't give a poo poo. They are allowed to smoke down there. My roommates and I have talked to the basement tenants a bit about it, and they have agreed to try and smoke outside but the fact is that they are both chain smokers and with winter coming it's just going to get worse and worse.

I've looked into air purifiers, vinegar, febreeze, sealing cracks. Whatever. The main floor constantly reeks of cigarettes and the upstairs (where my bedroom is) vaguely does. The more worrying thing is that all of my possessions are slowly starting to smell like tobacco, which to me is loving annoying. Crawling into bed and having all my sheets smell some lovely motel is a pretty big buzz kill.

Has anyone found good results with any situation like this? The air purifiers excited me a bit initially but then I read a lot of pessimistic stuff about how they aren't very effective for tobacco. Thanks

edit: I've been doing some research and apparently a carbon filter is necessary to filter smoke with a purifier - if anyone has any experience with that I'd be grateful for some anecdotal advice

Is the air return/filter in the basement with them? If so get one of the better filters from 3M and see if that helps. otherwise you'll probably need an ozone generator when people/they aren't home.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I'm on deployment right now, and I'll be splitting rent with some friends when I get back. They've already chosen the place but I need to start looking for furniture.

Is IKEA the only option for modern and functional stuff that doesn't cost a shitload? Also, I'm looking for a twin bed frame but I'm not really on board with the two IKEA offers, any suggestions for a simple bed frame? Should I wait until I can buy a mattress in person? I’ve been sleeping on god-awful military issued mattresses for the last four years so I’m not picky.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Elderbean posted:

I'm on deployment right now, and I'll be splitting rent with some friends when I get back. They've already chosen the place but I need to start looking for furniture.

Is IKEA the only option for modern and functional stuff that doesn't cost a shitload? Also, I'm looking for a twin bed frame but I'm not really on board with the two IKEA offers, any suggestions for a simple bed frame? Should I wait until I can buy a mattress in person? I’ve been sleeping on god-awful military issued mattresses for the last four years so I’m not picky.

I dunno how it compares to other modern places like IKEA 'cos there isn't one near here, but last time I was after furniture I went to West Elm and was pleased by the selection and price, and it definitely wasn't an antique shop.

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

Elderbean posted:

We got a simple metal bed frame off amazon that was like $40 and works just fine. Usually you can get one free with a mattress too if you're going to a furniture store. I would wait until you get to look at mattresses before deciding on a frame.

Also check craigslist for good furniture deals. I don't know when you're getting back but when collections change at nicer places you can sometimes score floor models for ikea type prices too. But ikea is going to be your cheapest easiest route probably.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Are the IKEA mattresses alright? I’ve heard latex tends to be okay.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Yuriki posted:

I think the desk I got from Walmart.com was a little under $200, if not close to that. Not sure if you're willing to get Walmart furniture, but it's decent stuff for the price.

Elderbean posted:

If you're looking for cheap then Sam's Club might be a place to try. I got a decent mattress from there about a year ago and it came with a fold-out platform bedframe.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
My mattress came from Sam's club almost 10 years ago, and even with only semi-regular turning it is still in pretty drat good shape. Definitely check craigslist for twin bed frames. Tat their most basic they're just steel rods on risers and should be ridiculously cheap.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Kingnothing posted:

You were duped. Any time scummy realtors use words like "we are not aware of" or "if it continues you would take it up with your landlord" basically means we think it could become an issue, but by saying this we assume no responsibility and you'll have to sort it out with the landlord.

Did you ask the landlord directly about the dampness before you moved in? Did you even meet the landlord before you signed the lease? And is your conversation with the rental company documented in some way( recorded, email, letter)? If the dampness is not part of your lease, and it's an issue you raised with the landlord before you moved in, you should be entitled to break the lease or do what you can to force her to resolve it in a timely manner. At least those things you would be able to do in the USA anyways. Like someone else said you should see if there are any tenant rights groups or associations in your area.

I didn't get the landlady's details until after I signed the lease so I had no way of asking her. As it turns out, she's known about the damp for at least a year because the flat opposite mine, which she also owns, has it even worse than I do.

It's rising damp coming from the cellar below. She had a builder out yesterday (who came into my flat without permission) and claims he's going to inject something and do some damp-proof painting. I seriously doubt this is going to fix the problem.

All I have in terms of proof that I was lied to is the email from the letting agent that I posted before, and they don't manage the property - they were just doing the viewings, lease etc.

The lease is only six months and I'm wondering if I should just deal with the smell and move out when it's up. I just got broadband and cable put in and I can't really afford to move again. I'm just so angry about the bullshit I've been fed. The extractor fan in the bathroom doesn't even work, you can see where they've painted over the mould on the ceiling. I've asked for it to be fixed and she claims it will be, but I don't trust her anymore.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

deadly_pudding posted:

Does anybody have tips for sturdy, yet inexpensive chairs? I'm moving into a place where I'll be able to use my table as a table, instead of as a second counter. I'm kind of a fatty, though, so I have to be picky about my chairs. Metal folding chairs are still on the field as a last resort :smith:

Check second hand stores for the stackable Steelcase chairs.

My local Second Time Around place had these for $49 each. I offered him $100 for 4 and he took it because he had piles of them. And I'm more than "kind of a fatty" so my seal of approval is worth it's weight in pizzas. :D

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Anyone have experience with the MALM frame offered by IKEA, that's the only twin frame I like. Is it strudy?

Crunchtime
Dec 16, 2005

I like to move it move it!

Elderbean posted:

Anyone have experience with the MALM frame offered by IKEA, that's the only twin frame I like. Is it strudy?

I just got a Malm in FULL. I'm liking it so far, really sturdy. I've only slept on it the past two nights, but I really like it. It seems to sit low compared to what I'm used to however.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Kenderama posted:

Check second hand stores for the stackable Steelcase chairs.

My local Second Time Around place had these for $49 each. I offered him $100 for 4 and he took it because he had piles of them. And I'm more than "kind of a fatty" so my seal of approval is worth it's weight in pizzas. :D

Neat. I'll look into those.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Let's talk about...

My New Apartment :haw:

Floorplan

The middle wall is 7' long and I'm thinking that layout works but how should I arrange it? How big of a TV - without being too big would I want?

The second part,

I got a new bed and I'd like to move beyond normal bedding - I found the company Matteo and Frette. Has anyone purchased from them before or have any recommendations?

Lastly,

Posters! ZenPencils has some really cool stuff that'll fit frames from CraigFrames but know of alternatives?

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 3, 2013

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Another desk question, how is the Expedit offered by IKEA? I saw a lot of cool things being done with them on IKEA Hackers. I was probably going to get one with the attached shelves and push it against a wall while mounting my monitors on said wall with a bracket.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Expedits are awesome and you can do a lot with them, they already push them at Ikea as not only bookshelves, but room dividers and hanging display units.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
I have the massive Expedit as a room divider in my studio. It's awesome and holds everything. The shelves are really deep, so it's easy to use both sides as full shelves.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Nice, what about the actual desk? Assuming the monitors will be mounted on a wall.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Tab8715 posted:

Let's talk about...

My New Apartment :haw:

Floorplan

The middle wall is 7' long and I'm thinking that layout works but how should I arrange it? How big of a TV - without being too big would I want?

The second part,

I got a new bed and I'd like to move beyond normal bedding - I found the company Matteo and Frette. Has anyone purchased from them before or have any recommendations?

Lastly,

Posters! ZenPencils has some really cool stuff that'll fit frames from CraigFrames but know of alternatives?

Congrats!

My grandparents backed out of cosigning because they are uncomfortable with our modern corporate dystopia's binding arbitration trend :suicide:

I'm looking at a cheaper place in the city this Saturday, though, that's not owned by a rental company. It's still an upgrade over my current place, in that it has a full bathtub and a dishwasher. I have this nagging feeling there is no on-site laundry, though. I'm willing to live with that as long as the building is structurally decent, as the price is incredibly right. I'm hoping I won't get locked out, since they showed it to some other people last week :ohdear:

It kinda sucks, because the rental company at the other place took forever to process me. I'm supposed to move in 3 weeks, and I'm back to square one.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Elderbean posted:

We have an IKEA mattress and it's held up pretty well for the 3 and a bit years we've had it. It has started to shape around where we sleep, though, so there's a bit of a ridge between us, but it's still fully comfortable.

But yeah, you should probably wait until you can try it, as they do have a range, with some firmer than others. You really want something that feels comfortable for you.

Hello, thread! Since our rather lovely (retired schoolteacher) landlady upstairs has decided to sell her house and downsize to a condo, we are having to move out at the end of the month. The good news is that we're in Vancouver, and BC has some pretty strong protections for tenants, so she couldn't just break our lease, and offered us a chunk of money to move out early. (We were going to arrange to just transfer the lease to the new owners, but given the Vancouver property market and some recently discovered rising damp issues, nobody will want to buy it without the ability to tear it down and rebuild next Spring).

Anyway, we may have found ourselves a place (big house divided into four suites, landlords are a nice Canadian/Taiwanese family who live in the one suite, we hit if off really well with them), we just need to view it again tomorrow in the daylight (they're willing to hold it for us in the meantime).

But this means getting into the logistics of moving again. Last time we got a friend with a van to help us out, but we had much less stuff at that point. We now have an 800sqft apartment's worth of furniture (admittedly not a very full apartment, and some of it we'll be getting rid of), and will almost certainly need to hire movers.

We're thinking of using FrogBox (reusable plastic moving boxes that you rent). Does anyone have experience of using small-move movers? Is it worth shopping around on Craiglist in the "labor and moving" section? I see FrogBox have some locally recommended small movers, would that be a better idea?

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm hoping I won't get locked out, since they showed it to some other people last week :ohdear:

Keep looking, and making more appointments to see other apartments while you're in the city. Competitive markets require lots of legwork.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Also, would this be sturdy enough for general use. Is MDF easy to mount on a wall?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Costello Jello posted:

Keep looking, and making more appointments to see other apartments while you're in the city. Competitive markets require lots of legwork.

Yeah I'm looking at 2 places on Saturday, maybe a some others if I can get them lined up. A whole wave of shiny new craigslist ads went up yesterday, all clustered around a pretty decent neighborhood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Ahahaha. I just had my first super happy fun time Craigslist spam/scam experience. Apparently there's a company called "The Rental Guide" in Vancouver that charges $120 for potential tenants to get access to their "exclusive database" of rentals (all culled from Craigslist and Kijiji but more out of date). And they post fake rentals ads to Craigslist as a way of harvesting phone numbers of potential customers. I just got the call from their pushy, evasive and manipulative sales rep, and welp, reported to the Competition Bureau. I even know exactly which ad it was, as it's the only one that I replied to with my phone number that didn't get a response from a real landlord.

It's hard, though, as there is really no functional difference between that ad and the one that brought up the really nice place we're probably going to take.