Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Or she just needed a way to perform 3DMG maneuvers without anyone suspecting her and a convenient battle where nobody would ask questions if anyone died was the perfect opportunity to get some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
She probably looted it off his corpse during the post-battle cleanup. By that point they'd have caught Sawney and Bean, and she'd realize she would need another set of gear since apparently you can tell when gear has been recently used somehow.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Medieval Medic posted:

Do remember that Annie didn't kill anyone(at least that we know of) until Erwin purposefully set out to trap her. Until then she had just killed the titans being experimented on.

What about breaking the wall, killing a quarter million people? :stare:

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 3, 2013

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

MeLKoR posted:

What about breaking the wall, killing a quarter million people? :stare:

If you're talking about the initial wall break, that was just the Colossal and Armored Titan. The Female Titan (Annie) didn't come up until the expedition outside the walls.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

King of Solomon posted:

If you're talking about the initial wall break, that was just the Colossal and Armored Titan. The Female Titan (Annie) didn't come up until the expedition outside the walls.

I thought it was implied she is who led the mass of titans to the gate after it was broken down.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

socialsecurity posted:

I thought it was implied she is who led the mass of titans to the gate after it was broken down.

Was it? I didn't get that at all.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

King of Solomon posted:

Well, preceding the attack on Trost Erwin mentioned that the titans were behaving oddly and moving into the city just like before the attack on Shiganshina. Considering she also led a mass of titans again the 57th expedition it's a fair bet that she has the power to command titans to some extent.
And even if she didn't, just because she didn't personally break the wall doesn't make her any less guilty, she knew what the plan was.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 3, 2013

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

King of Solomon posted:

Was it? I didn't get that at all.

Armin specifically says it in the episode he met the Female Titan. All the abnormals that were chasing her and wiped out the right flank were chasing after her and got distracted by all these delicious humans in the way. Armin made that observation, and then concluded "she must be able to gather the titans somehow."

We end up seeing exactly how a couple episodes later, when she screams out and gets devoured to escape Erwin's trap for her.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

gnome7 posted:

Armin specifically says it in the episode he met the Female Titan. All the abnormals that were chasing her and wiped out the right flank were chasing after her and got distracted by all these delicious humans in the way. Armin made that observation, and then concluded "she must be able to gather the titans somehow."

We end up seeing exactly how a couple episodes later, when she screams out and gets devoured to escape Erwin's trap for her.

Yeah, I got that much, I just didn't connect it to the initial attack. That makes sense.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

socialsecurity posted:

I didn't get that impression personally. I guess it's possible, but there were no explicit hints that that was what happened.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Only the armoured titan has nothing to do with Eren's mom dying. There were hardly any regular titans just chilling around the wall before it broke I think. Then they just came pouring in.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Medieval Medic posted:

Do remember that Annie didn't kill anyone(at least that we know of) until Erwin purposefully set out to trap her. Until then she had just killed the titans being experimented on.

Wait wait wait wait wait WHAT? Are you forgetting about the various Recon Squad members she pasted trying to get to Eren during the recon expedition? That we clearly see her tossing, stomping, twirling, biting and mashing through that whole arc?

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Wait wait wait wait wait WHAT? Are you forgetting about the various Recon Squad members she pasted trying to get to Eren during the recon expedition? That we clearly see her tossing, stomping, twirling, biting and mashing through that whole arc?

That was Erwin's trap in the first place. Erwin suspected there was a human Titan traitor, and set up the misinformation about Eren's location to draw out the culprit.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Sylphid posted:

That was Erwin's trap in the first place. Erwin suspected there was a human Titan traitor, and set up the misinformation about Eren's location to draw out the culprit.

She certainly didn't know it was a trap. That was some straight up psychopathy.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sylphid posted:

We've no reason to assume she knew about the trap, but even if she did that doesn't really justify her mauling every poor motherfucker between her and Eren when she could have snuck up to Eren more covertly or simply not walked into the trap at all.

My point being that Annie killed a fuckton of people in incredibly brutal ways for what are currently exceptionally nebulous reasons, and therefore isn't terribly sympathetic.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
My impression is that Annie set out to capture Eren, but slaughtering the Recon corps wasn't the primary goal. Unfortunately for the Recon Corps, squishing them like bugs was just so easy. She just couldn't help it.

It takes a moment of sitting back and reflecting before she realises that kind of horrific monster she has become.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

We've no reason to assume she knew about the trap, but even if she did that doesn't really justify her mauling every poor motherfucker between her and Eren when she could have snuck up to Eren more covertly or simply not walked into the trap at all.

My point being that Annie killed a fuckton of people in incredibly brutal ways for what are currently exceptionally nebulous reasons, and therefore isn't terribly sympathetic.

Obviously, if you're setting up a trap, you don't want to let the target know about it. Erwin wanted the person who killed the captured Titans to reveal themselves as a Titan, then capture it during the 57th Expedition. That was the reason he brought so much of the Corps out on what he told people was a routine sortie to begin planning out the path to Shiganshina.

He spread disinformation about where Eren was, since if it was common knowledge by that point Eren, at the very least, can become a Titan, there could certainly be others, and there had to be someone with 3DMG who killed the captured Titans. He correctly figured the culprit would be interested in a fellow human Titan. Annie couldn't do it as a human because Eren was surrounded by the Levi Squad at all times, so the only way was to become a Titan and capture him that way.

Obviously, none of this excuses Annie butchering a large part of the Corps on her way to capture Eren, and I'm not trying to make a point about sympathizing with her actions. At the very least, to Erwin, identifying and capturing the human Titans is the biggest priority, since their ability to slip in and out of the walls, and their exceptional power, makes them the most dangerous Titans. He has every reason to think that, especially after the Expedition. Erwin is ruthless, but he's not stupid.

I agree with those who think that she didn't want to kill a whole bunch of humans on the way to finding Eren, but Annie is pretty bloodthirsty in the first place, and she couldn't have completed her mission if there were Survey Corps members constantly buzzing around her. She had to get rid of them if she wanted to survive, which was always her top priority.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I'm kind of disappointed there are not scenes like the one in the second credits, like Mikasa teaming up with Titan Eren - riding on his arm while he's punching stuff, etc. That could lead to some brutal combination attacks and would look insane.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm with this guy. I think that she got to that point when she was leisurely twirling that corpsman's broken body and just sort of gingerly lets go of it. . .

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
And then she kicks the guy on the horse and watches it sail off into the sunset. She was having fun.

She generally didn't start the fights, sure, but she totally enjoyed the easy killing.

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Oct 3, 2013

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Renoistic posted:

I'm kind of disappointed there are not scenes like the one in the second credits, like Mikasa teaming up with Titan Eren - riding on his arm while he's punching stuff, etc. That could lead to some brutal combination attacks and would look insane.

There was actually something kind of like that in the Annie fight in the manga. Shame the anime dropped it 'cause it was pretty badass.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Terror Sweat posted:

She certainly didn't know it was a trap. That was some straight up psychopathy.

Remember that the humans she killed by and large attacked her first. It's more than likely if they didn't she would have left them alone. What was she meant to do? Not kill anyone and somehow make it out with a mouthful of sweet, sweet Eren-neck and swarm of humans molesting her?

I really like Annie. I actually find her a sympathetic character, and her anime addition with her squadmate being beaten up and her reaction really gave her some good character.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Oct 3, 2013

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Kokoro Wish posted:

Remember that the humans she killed by and large attacked her first. It's more than likely if they didn't she would have left them alone. What was she meant to do? Not kill anyone and somehow make it out with a mouthful of sweet, sweet Eren-neck and swarm of humans molesting her?

I really like Annie. I actually find her a sympathetic character, and her anime addition with her squadmate being beaten up and her reaction really gave her some good character.

wait how exactly is she sympathetic? She up and decided to attack the recon corps and kill shitloads of people for ***reasons***

i mean i'm sure there was some motive but she just seemed to be a horrible monster that was at best in league with the titans for mysterious reasons and at worst a sadistic killer that was fortunate enough to get superpowers.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Yo, when she was talking to the guy about wanting the weak to be considered human too, she was talking about herself. She has the capability to become a monster, but she's still a human. She is a literal child soldier and Eren is her mirror counterpart of what she could have been had she grown up in different circumstances. She knows what she's done is monsterous and her reactions to Eren's anger show it. Watch the titan fight in the forest of giant trees again. Watch her reactions to Eren's rage against her. Eren hates all titans, and it's kind of telling that to get angry enough to defeat Annie he had to forget all about Annie herself and find rage in a mindless titan's killing of his mother.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Didn't Eren say he loses control as well as memories when he becomes a Titan?

Annie might not set out to play yo-yo's with people, but once titanated, all actions are an option, and probably doesn't remember the specifics of her actions afterwards.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Ak Gara posted:

Didn't Eren say he loses control as well as memories when he becomes a Titan?

Annie might not set out to play yo-yo's with people, but once titanated, all actions are an option, and probably doesn't remember the specifics of her actions afterwards.

Eren had an actual inner monologue while he was a titan. That seems pretty conscious. Just cause you get blackout drunk and can't remember anything doesn't mean you aren't responsible for murder.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Eren remembered Annie-Titan's fighting stance days later, even in the castle. So he knows. She knows what she's done. It's just so easy to kill these humans, she couldn't help herself.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Terror Sweat posted:

Just cause you get blackout drunk and can't remember anything doesn't mean you aren't responsible for murder.

Actually, altered mental state could downgrade the whole thing to manslaughter.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

Genoslaughter.
:goonsay:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Again, she knew before she went in what the mission was. I don't think anyone tried the "oh poo poo, I was drunk the whole time" defense on Nuremberg.

e: as a side note, during the confrontation at the tunnel her semi laugh semi sob made me feel kind of sad for her. Probably they had what they thought were good reasons to do what they did but holy gently caress nothing short of "if we didn't the entire human race would become extinct" would even begin to excuse it.
And even if it was so they should still pay the price. You can't kill a quarter million people and live.

e2: I know I must be the only person that didn't like the final fight but I thought it was a disservice to Eren's story arc. He should be trying to control his power, not just give in to the savagery but become a part of the team. I also didn't like that he got all worked up about his decision in the forest and Levi didn't set him straight. It was the right decision, it was the only decision he could make at the time. If he hadn't done so even if he won the fight he'd be hosed because it would be evidence that he couldn't be relied on to control his power and obey orders. Levi implicitly told him so at the time.

I've been rewatching the whole thing and one thing stood out pretty badly but maybe I missed something. When Eren wakes up from the "dream" with his father and Mikasa tells him that it's impossible he saw him because she was right there he looks down and sees the key around his neck and just shrugs his shoulders.
What about the key Mikasa? Is this a dream key? Are you part of the dream too?

For a minute I thought that maybe his father did something to her as well and that was why she didn't remember but even so why would they both just ignore the key that magically appeared around his neck? That was pretty good evidence it wasn't a dream and yet no one talks about it.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 3, 2013

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

If we're talking blackout drunk, voluntary intoxication could downgrade 1st-degree murder to 2nd, but couldn't downgrade 2nd to manslaughter. Intoxication negates specific intent, but not criminal recklessness. Involuntary intoxication is different, and functions more like a temporary insanity defense.

However, even if Annie could claim that her actions as a Titan weren't technically fully under her control, they were a foreseeable result of a treasonous act that she did have the requisite mental state for when she began, so you could still nail her for felony murder.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Paracelsus posted:

If we're talking blackout drunk, voluntary intoxication could downgrade 1st-degree murder to 2nd, but couldn't downgrade 2nd to manslaughter. Intoxication negates specific intent, but not criminal recklessness. Involuntary intoxication is different, and functions more like a temporary insanity defense.

However, even if Annie could claim that her actions as a Titan weren't technically fully under her control, they were a foreseeable result of a treasonous act that she did have the requisite mental state for when she began, so you could still nail her for felony murder.
I eagerly await a Phoenix Wright Titan spinoff.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I hope they will show us the reactions of the whole 104th regarding Annie. She saved the lives of several members of the division at various points during the Trost invasion, most notably Conny.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

I'm amazed this didn't happen quicker.

Fearian
Nov 21, 2007

TSSSSSSssssss...

The combination of annie freaking out over her killing the church, and not seing her dads face, makes me think her dad is the priest! ...ok I havn't exactly worked out why yet, but religious organisation secretly pursuing an alternate agenda? classic.

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008
Jesus, I just can't hold out for a second season. Even it were to come out next year -- I just can't hold out. I just started reading the manga up to the point where the anime ends and there are a LOT of things that I think the anime did better. I feel like that anime has a better impact because they can time things differently than a person just reading it. The anime explains the way people are thinking a bit better than the manga but I guess that's what also made the anime drag. Ugh, I guess it's time to read everything and join the manga thread.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Fearian posted:

The combination of annie freaking out over her killing the church, and not seing her dads face, makes me think her dad is the priest! ...ok I havn't exactly worked out why yet, but religious organisation secretly pursuing an alternate agenda? classic.

It's possible. That there's a church worshipping the walls we just learned are built around the harbingers of man's destruction certainly seems like a set up for some interesting plot.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Fearian posted:

The voices are pretty similar, aren't they?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
"Three-Dimensional Maneuver Gear"? Really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Farecoal posted:

"Three-Dimensional Maneuver Gear"? Really?

What?

• Locked thread