Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Dan Nainan doesn't handle criticism well, it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Unfunny idiot punches C list tabloid journalist, whoever wins we lose.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

ibntumart posted:

Dan Nainan doesn't handle criticism well, it seems.

What a tool.

I saw Maria Bamford twice tonight and it was awesome. I saw Marc Maron and Andy Kindler last night which was also awesome.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Everyone who hates lovely comedians owes it to themselves to read Dan Nainan's terrible and hilarious obviously self written Wikipedia page.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Everyone who hates lovely comedians owes it to themselves to read Dan Nainan's terrible and hilarious obviously self written Wikipedia page.

You know I'm so tired of this, it's really insulting to say that any positive wikipedia page for an amateur, especially in an industry like comedy, just MUST be written by them. It's a downright patronizing attitude to have to people who work hard and put in a lot of ef-

quote:

With Intel, Nainan traveled with Andy Grove, the company's CEO, demonstrating the latest technology on stage at high-profile events all over the world. Nainan found the technical part of his job to be easy, but as the audiences sometimes numbered in the thousands, he experienced tremendous stage fright. To get over the fear of public speaking, he first joined a Toastmasters group,[4] then took a stand up comedy class.[5]

The "final exam" for the comedy class was a performance at the Punchline Comedy Club in San Francisco. His Intel coworkers, upon viewing the videotape, invited him to perform at a team dinner for 200 employees at a high tech convention in Las Vegas. Upon seeing that performance, the organizers of Intel's annual sales conference asked Nainan to perform for 2,500 salespeople from around the world. Many in the audience thought that he had been hired as a professional comedian, in what was only his third comedy performance ever.[6]

Notable performances

In November 2009, Nainan performed at the first TED Conference in India, held in Mysore.[11] He also performed at TEDx events in Flushing Meadows, New York and in Glastonbury, Connecticut.[12][13]

In March 2011, Nainan performed for over 2000 people at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington DC.[14]

In August 2011, Nainan was a keynote speaker and comedian at the Toastmasters International Convention held at Bally's Las Vegas.[15]

In September 2011 Nainan appeared on the Muscular Dystrophy Association national telethon along with comedians Penn and Teller and
Carrot Top. The event was broadcast live from Las Vegas.[16]

In January 2012, Nainan performed for New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg at a charity gala at the Waldorf Astoria hotel in New York City. Afterwards, [Mayor Bloomberg] said that Nainan was "hysterical".[17]

In March 2012, Nainan performed for Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak at the Apple Investor Summit held at the Los Angeles Convention Center.[18] Afterwards, Wozniak praised Nainan effusively, saying that Nainan is "The funniest guy out there".[19]

In May 2012, Nainan performed for US President Barack Obama at the APAICS Gala at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel in Washington DC. President Obama said that Nainan was "hilarious".[20]

Nainan has performed in several countries on four continents. He has performed in Aruba, Australia, Canada, England, Hong Kong, India, Ireland, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, the Netherlands, Panama, Qatar, Singapore, South Africa, Tanzania, Trinidad/Tobago, Turkey and the United Arab Emirates.[21]

Television

In 2003, Nainan appeared in the first season of NBC's Last Comic Standing, advancing as far as the West Coast Semifinals.[22] Nainan appeared in a commercial for Apple computers. The commercial, entitled "PC Innovation Lab" was one in the "Get a Mac" series with Justin Long and John Hodgman. The commercial showed Nainan in a suit of bubble wrap.[23]

Feature film

In 2006, Nainan played a small role as a cello player in Paramount Pictures' film The Hoax starring Richard Gere. In 2009 Nainan played the role of Fire Nation Warrior in the M. Night Shyamalan movie The Last Airbender.[24]

Welp.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
You know, that claim of bias is just unfair. Let's take a look at the Talk:Dan Naiman section of his Wikipedia entry---

Pissed off Wiki mod posted:

Sourcing[edit source]

I keep having to remove citations "sourced" from unreliable sources, such as a blog (Yuyam) and the press-kit page of a company (EventMakers) which books Nainan for events. We need reliable sources. --Orange Mike | Talk 18:59, 7 October 2008 (UTC)

Well, that's a bit shady, but surely not that big a deal---

Conflict of Interests posted:

173.56.80.12 writes:
"(cur | prev) 16:18, 22 August 2013‎ 173.56.80.12 (talk)‎ . . (11,890 bytes) (-332)‎ . . (Would you please stop vandalizing the birth date for Dan Nainan? We represent him, and we have birth certificate, passport and driver license verifying his birth date as May 4, 1981. We will elevate this to Wikipedia management if this continues.)"

To the IP, you are clearly in violation of Wikipedia's COI rules and should not be editing this page at all!

The truth of the matter is, despite being a fan, I actually find your efforts, along with posts such as these, to too biased. This is a forum to share information & educate in a non-biased fashion. It's not a forum to promote or "represent".

In January 2012, Nainan performed for New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg at a charity gala at the Waldorf Astoria hotel in New York City. Afterwards, [Mayor Bloomberg] said that Nainan was "hysterical".[5]
In March 2012, Nainan performed for Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak at the Apple Investor Summit held at the Los Angeles Convention Center.[6] Afterwards, Wozniak praised Nainan effusively, saying that Nainan is "The funniest guy out there".[7]
In May 2012, Nainan performed for US President Barack Obama at the APAICS Gala at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel in Washington DC. President Obama said that Nainan was "hilarious".[8]

--DesiBabe | Talk 25 August 2013 (UTC)

Well, it's not as if he's pretending to be a megafan and falsifying his birthdate or work history---

Nainan :argh:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Naiman is just legit sad honestly. I used to make fun of alt comics talking about 'corporate comics' and poo poo like that but here we have a real flesh and blood dude who's only minor notability comes from playing corporate gigs with dumb generic jokes.

Rob was taken
Mar 8, 2006
According to a Kumail Nanjiani tweet that has since been deleted, he also tried to bribe Marc Maron into putting him on WTF. So there's that too.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Rob was taken posted:

According to a Kumail Nanjiani tweet that has since been deleted, he also tried to bribe Marc Maron into putting him on WTF. So there's that too.

So he doesn't get how podcasts work either, then, and apparently doesn't actually listen to WTF. Though I kind of wish Maron would have him on. I have a feeling Nainan would make for another Gallagheresque episode, except with corporate buzztalk instead of photon v. electron discussion.

The Berzerker posted:

What a tool.

I saw Maria Bamford twice tonight and it was awesome. I saw Marc Maron and Andy Kindler last night which was also awesome.

Did she try out any new material? Not that the album stuff wouldn't be awesome to hear live, mind. I am dying to see her live one of these days, but haven't had the pleasure yet. (She always picks middle of the week shows in San Francisco for some reason... I think she had a bad experience at another closer comedy club, so hasn't been back.)

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
This is the guy who even Russell Peters thinks is a hack. He admitted in the NYT that he pays for twitter followers and probably pays for 5 star reviews of his book.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Oh yeah, I forgot about that: Nainan has a how to do stand-up book. I am tempted to look for a used copy of his book since I have a feeling it would be unintentionally funny.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon
I wonder what Nainan paid those people to post "More journalists should be punched in the face" comments on the Washington Post story.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

ibntumart posted:

Did she try out any new material? Not that the album stuff wouldn't be awesome to hear live, mind. I am dying to see her live one of these days, but haven't had the pleasure yet. (She always picks middle of the week shows in San Francisco for some reason... I think she had a bad experience at another closer comedy club, so hasn't been back.)

Yeah, she did a bit of new stuff, she was clearly still working on some things. It was that, mixed with stuff from her latest album. Solid show. The second time I saw her she was being a panelist on Match Game but it was also great.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I saw Maria Bamford again tonight, she was on Andy Kindler's Alternative Show (along with a bunch of locals, and John Mulaney, and Jon Dore, and Kyle Kinane, and Aziz Ansari showed up as a surprise). Also saw Mulaney do a full hour earlier in the night, he was fantastic. It was all new stuff.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

The Berzerker posted:

I saw Maria Bamford again tonight, she was on Andy Kindler's Alternative Show (along with a bunch of locals, and John Mulaney, and Jon Dore, and Kyle Kinane, and Aziz Ansari showed up as a surprise). Also saw Mulaney do a full hour earlier in the night, he was fantastic. It was all new stuff.

Awesome, can't wait for a new Mulaney album. Even though his first two albums cover a lot of the same topics, they're both funny as hell.

Actually that whole lineup is solid, jeez.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

urk the quack posted:

Awesome, can't wait for a new Mulaney album. Even though his first two albums cover a lot of the same topics, they're both funny as hell.

Actually that whole lineup is solid, jeez.

I'd be happy if his whole next hour was about Law & Order.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

detectivemonkey posted:

I'd be happy if his whole next hour was about Law & Order.

or about what he's done when he blacked out.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

It isn't, but it was still great. Possibly better than New In Town. Bits about growing up, the phrase "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free", and a hilarious closer about meeting Bill Clinton when he was a kid.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Can somebody tell me what to expect from the Comedy Bang Bang tour? Love PFT so I'm going regardless, but I'm wondering if it is like sketch stuff, stand up or what.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
I just went to the San Francisco show last night and posted a short synopsis on the TV show thread, which I'll cross-post below. But basically, Birthday Boys do sketches, Aukerman comes out solo and does stand-up and solo bits for a little while, and then it's live podcast time.

ibntumart posted:

Just got back a few minutes ago. There were basically three parts to the show: the Birthday Boys opener; Hot Saucerman working the crowd; and then the live podcast.

Birthday Boys: Meh. The opening pre-filmed Odenkirk bit was funny, but the sketches were so-so. Ducky Powell might have been a bit funnier if I hadn't already seen the character on a CBB podcast singing the same song, I guess. Anyway, they weren't horrible, but they didn't really do much for me. Their taped bits were better, though. Less nudity, too (less being a good thing here).

The Choctaw: Really good. Aukerman played with the conceit that we were a rehearsal performance for the *real* big performance up in Portland. He had several other bits, including a happy birthday musical number and tricking someone onstage to act out a heckling script, all fun.

Live podcast: Loved it! His guests were Doug Benson and Paul F. Tompkins Werner Herzog. Coincidentally, my wife had mentioned on the drive to the show that Herzog is her least favorite character, but she was laughing at least as hard as I was most of the way through. Great Would You Rather? (they sat perfectly still through the entire musical intro and outro!), Aukerman made PFT collapse into laughter and almost break character during a discussion of the Medea movies, and just a lot of fun to watch overall. Oh, and they alluded to an incident in the previous show: a family brought kids to the show... on a night when Andy Daly was doing his Don Dimello character. The family apparently made a hasty exit shortly after he came out.

So there's a very brief review. Absolutely worth the price of admission.

Yay Pudding!
Mar 26, 2010

Frrrrrrunkis
Just saw Bill Burr in El Paso. The two times he tried to play here earlier both had to be rescheduled. He did about 90 minutes, and his opener, Joe Bartnick, was pretty funny as well. I think I only recognized one bit, and it seemed like he was also trying some new stuff. One of the best comedy shows I've been to. He stayed after and took pictures and signed stuff for close to an hour. Bill pretty much destroyed the entire time, and by the end my cheeks were numb. Check him out if you get the chance.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Louis CK put up Oh My God, which includes an extended version with jokes that were cut from the HBO airing.

https://buy.louisck.net/purchase/oh-my-god

Haven't seen it yet, so I don't know any specifics.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I've been doing amateur standup for about a year and a half (well, I got paid :10bux: once) and I usually attempt the Carlin/Louis method of dumping all your material - even the stuff that works - every few months or so. Of course since it's not nearly well known yet I can always revisit or rework older stuff, but I've got about 3 or 4 really solid sets with completely different material because I constantly update my set and dump old stuff once I'm sick of telling it multiple times, especially if the same people come to see me. It's actually often better if I have an audience of complete strangers because then I know nobody's heard it.

But it's weird how you can absolutely kill with a set some nights, and do the same set another night and get crickets. One of the jokes early in my usual set can be offensive if you take it the wrong way (it has an assault reference in it, but it's not a rape joke), and nearly every single time I've told it it's gone over extremely well. Then one time I heard a girl make a disgusted gasp near the beginning of the setup, and then the audience was mostly quiet for the rest of my set. When one person gets offended, the rest of the audience is afraid to laugh.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I'm not practicing, but I think maybe like if you do some crowd work in those situations? Like say something like "yeah, it's pretty bad" with a knowing nod as soon as you hear the gasp. Something like that.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Yeah, I pretty much knew what I should've done right after the moment had passed, but she kind of did it in mid-sentence. That, or something like Mike Birbiglia's pre-emptive "Before I tell you this, remember that you're on my side."

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Bonk posted:

Yeah, I pretty much knew what I should've done right after the moment had passed, but she kind of did it in mid-sentence. That, or something like Mike Birbiglia's pre-emptive "Before I tell you this, remember that you're on my side."

Yeah exactly, get them on your team. "I know what I'm about to say is horrible but roll with me for a while" but not in so many words

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Posted this in A/T but was suggested to ask here.

In Denver there's a radio station with nothing but stand up comedy. Occasionally they'll play old tracks from the 50s-80s. One thing I've noticed is that anything from, say, 1965 or earlier is pretty different than modern stand up which tends to be "funny observations and 'true', real-life stuff that happened to me" to broadly generalize. The older recordings are of a more jokey nature -- again, broadly generalizing, something like "A rabbi, a priest, and Buddha walk into a bar." These sound horribly dated and are almost always unfunny, but that might just be my modern sensibility.

Anyway, when did this culture change in stand up come about, and who led the way? At a guess I'd speculate Lenny Bruce and Bill Cosby, but I'd love to hear from someone who is more knowledgeable than myself.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

regulargonzalez posted:

In Denver there's a radio station with nothing but stand up comedy. Occasionally they'll play old tracks from the 50s-80s. One thing I've noticed is that anything from, say, 1965 or earlier is pretty different than modern stand up which tends to be "funny observations and 'true', real-life stuff that happened to me" to broadly generalize. The older recordings are of a more jokey nature -- again, broadly generalizing, something like "A rabbi, a priest, and Buddha walk into a bar." These sound horribly dated and are almost always unfunny, but that might just be my modern sensibility.

Anyway, when did this culture change in stand up come about, and who led the way? At a guess I'd speculate Lenny Bruce and Bill Cosby, but I'd love to hear from someone who is more knowledgeable than myself.

I think it's all probably relative. Build a time machine and send Louis CK to '65 and I'm not sure he'd be a hit. All I know is that Woody Allen's Moose bit is magical. It was still 'jokey' but utilizes the first person. Maybe this is around the time that standup transfers from jokes to being more personal. I mean of course it's all made up and farcical but it's still told from his point of view. I could see comedy evolving from a bit like this to more situations culled from real life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmnLRVWgnXU

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

regulargonzalez posted:

A very broad, generalized answer:

In the early 20th century, modern stand-up as we know it started in the Catskills in NY which was a popular vacation destination for Jews. The (mostly) Jewish comics who performed for Jewish audiences in the so-called Borscht Belt were known for their joke-telling and one-liners. Famous people from that era included Soupy Sales, Mort Sahl, and Henry Youngman (Take my wife... Please!). The comedy was, obviously, very Jewish-American: Self-deprecation, embarrassing situations, nagging wives, etc. They stayed away from political humor or anything that was too racy.

Which leads us to 1960s in America, which needs no further background explanation. Lenny Bruce wasn't the only comic doing political, racial, satirical or controversial humor, but he was definitely the most famous and arguably the best. After Bruce, Carlin and Pryor took the torch and continued his style of humor, but in a far-less stream-of-conscious way and replacing his Jewish "other" experience with that of the Catholic and black other experience, respectively. An important thing to look up is George Carlin's act prior to taking on his hippie-ish persona. He was a nightclub comic with a partner, Jack Burns. They dressed in suits and had shaved faces and mostly did the kind of stuff popular in the Borscht Belt.

Bruce, Carlin, and Pryor might as well be considered the holy trinity of stand-up. Pretty much all modern stand-up from the 70's to today is rooted in what they did. Of course there are exceptions, like Rodney Dangerfield and Anthony Jeselnik, who tell straight-up jokes, but most follow the holy trinity's combination of finding humor in everyday observations and personal experience.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Thanks, interesting stuff. Would you consider Jackie Martling a throwback as well? Cause he tells "jokey" jokes and holy hell are the clips of him absolutely wretched. I swear the only reason the audience laughs is cause he's laughing and so they assume it must be funny. He's his own laugh track.

Ape of Naples kind of touches on this, and I agree that if Louis CK went to 1958 and told even a clean set he wouldn't get many laughs. Maybe Jackie Martling would kill though?

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

regulargonzalez posted:

Thanks, interesting stuff. Would you consider Jackie Martling a throwback as well? Cause he tells "jokey" jokes and holy hell are the clips of him absolutely wretched. I swear the only reason the audience laughs is cause he's laughing and so they assume it must be funny. He's his own laugh track.

To be honest, I haven't listened to much of the Howard Stern Show. Except for late night viewings of his E! show while I was in middle school that are a great memory.

Doing a 180 from history talk, if anyone is in NYC or LA and you like experimental or surreal comedy, you should check out Kate Berlant. Her set is entirely improvised and really hard to explain. There are a couple of bad quality YouTube videos and even a NY Times piece on her, but even those pale in just seeing what she does.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

regulargonzalez posted:

[stuff about modern comedy]

Not much to add on the posters above but if you're interested in reading a bit more about stand-up's shift towards observational comedy and that sort of thing, you might enjoy this book: http://www.amazon.ca/Comedy-The-Edge-Richard-Zoglin/dp/1582346259 I read it a few months ago and it basically has short chapters on a lot of different comedians who made an impact in the 70s (from Bruce to Carlin, Pryor, Steve Martin, Al Brooks, Robert Klein, Kaufman etc.), it was a good read especially for $10-15.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

regulargonzalez posted:

Lenny Bruce is correct.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

regulargonzalez posted:

Jackie Martling

Lemme ax you a ketchin, and if you's kin ansuh dis ketchin, you's kin gitcho diploma and you's kin gadjiate: what am tree plus five?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eSzkb_kvV2o&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DeSzkb_kvV2o

To answer you in a slightly less stupid way, Martling's very impressive in the sense that he's got an encyclopedic knowledge of "stop me if you've heard this" type jokes, and seeing him live is pretty great if you're drunk/high enough. But, yeah, he's pretty much a load, and most of the laughs he gets from his material comes from him. If we're talking about Stern show alums, he was actually a bit more fun to watch than Artie Lange.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Oct 27, 2013

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
Where are some of your guys' favorite places to hear standup on the internet? I've been working through Spotifys huge collection and I've heard a lot of good stuff, but I'm starting to run out. I live in an area where there will never be stand-up comedy so the internet is basically my only feed for the stuff.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Did anyone watch the Pete Holmes show? I won't have cable for another couple of weeks and TBS' site won't let me either, but I am hoping it was good.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

The Berzerker posted:

Did anyone watch the Pete Holmes show? I won't have cable for another couple of weeks and TBS' site won't let me either, but I am hoping it was good.

It was enjoyable, but being a half-hour definitely made it feel a bit too breezy. The sketch was well-produced but it was released on the internet last week, and his monologue was refreshingly different from every other talk show's. I think he described it well when he said:

Pete Holes in Rolling Stone posted:

It's got a playhouse – an after school clubhouse feel. A "late night happy place" if you will.

I'd say it was successful overall in that it felt very Pete Holmes-y.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Aziz Ansari: Buried Alive just came out on Netflix. I just started it so I don't have any opinions yet.

synthacide
Nov 6, 2013
I just watched it, hella funny!

side note, what a good source to find local stand up?

I live in the bay area and seriously there isn't much and what i do find is garbage (tommy t's)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

synthacide posted:

I just watched it, hella funny!

side note, what a good source to find local stand up?

I live in the bay area and seriously there isn't much and what i do find is garbage (tommy t's)

I have to confess I've never gone to see local acts (unless you count Moshe Kasher). I tell myself if I lived in San Francisco and had spare time, I'd check out the local talent now and then, but as it is, I'm not driving to the city and trying to find parking unless I'm pretty sure I'm going to enjoy the comedian in question.