Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Started playing a solo game and I noticed that my online character isn't on the character switch wheel anymore. Is is lost forever or do I just have wait for the cloud to unfuck itself?

Playing on 360, btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you need a good reliable car, I highly suggest the Ruiner.

It needs an alignment because it pulls to the right a bit. Aside from that, the extreme camber plates and the crooked engine, it still runs just as fast and handles just as good as the day I stole it.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

^^^ :hfive: I escaped 3 stars on 2 rims with no doors in my behemoth. Love the truculent cars.

For all the complaints of getting wanted stars when you steal a car online, you form a real attachment with your ride when you're forced to use it for everything.

My Bravado Gresley SUV is a fuckin tank and has saved my rear end numerous times. Can't wait for the online stuff to get sorted so it can carry 3 homies (and some hanging off the side?) in our shenanigans.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Paul Revere 3000 posted:

Started playing a solo game and I noticed that my online character isn't on the character switch wheel anymore. Is is lost forever or do I just have wait for the cloud to unfuck itself?

Playing on 360, btw.

The answer to every question and person bitching at the moment is,

poo poo is hosed right now. Give it time and it will be fixed.

darks1de
Nov 13, 2005

shower your mind and feed your soul

Paul Revere 3000 posted:

Playing on 360, btw.

I just hopped on and my character isn't displayed on the switch thing either, but I still selected it, and my online character is safe and sound. Seems I lose my character if I exit the game in any way except for switching to a solo character then logging off. (PS3)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Pleads posted:

For all the complaints of getting wanted stars when you steal a car online, you form a real attachment with your ride when you're forced to use it for everything.

My Bravado Gresley SUV is a fuckin tank and has saved my rear end numerous times. Can't wait for the online stuff to get sorted so it can carry 3 homies (and some hanging off the side?) in our shenanigans.

I feel the same way about my Ruiner. I felt like an idiot when I picked it and wanted to find something new. Then I just went on a three star police chase and it carried me through all the way. Despite my terrible driving because I was angry at the cops finding me every time I got away. Every time it rolled, it got back over, every time I crashed, it just kept going. I think I'm just going to upgrade this thing and keep it forever.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Got some decent time in on the ps3 tonight and I think they have the set up to have a really fun online game. The way the missions playlist works when you're in a group is pretty cool. I look forward to when it's more stable and easier to meet up with crew members and friends.

Question - how exactly does cash on hand interact with death? Do you drop all of it or only a certain portion?

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Mister Macys posted:

No, neckbeards play MMORPGs, and actually understand why servers overload for every popular game at launch, and why companies don't buy servers to handle multiple millions of people who will disappear after the first two weeks.

If only there were huge companies that offered some sort of service to deal with wildly fluctuating demand requirements and based billed costs on actual resource utilization. Maybe some sort of virtual servers in some sort of...Rockstar cloud.

But it is only a dream.

MrSpiffy
Aug 13, 2000

:woop::siren::siren::siren::woop:
FREDDIE WONG POSTING HERE
:woop::siren::siren::siren::woop:
Here, I custom coded up a special site to check GTA's online status so you don't have to!

With any luck this will clear off people from the servers so I can get on!

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

You're merely postponing the inevitable.
Once I managed to get through that damned Last Man Standing game(which took forever to connect) and finally opened up the world this thing became loads of fun. Started going around hitting shops for cash with a buddy and taking turns with who went in and who was the getaway driver.

Tried to pull one last robbery to end the night and got into an entanglement with another player who was camping outside the store waiting for us to come out. Made it even more interesting when the cops started to swarm the place. Didn't make it out of there with our loot but it was a fun experience.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Question about getting cars in online. It says that some cars are premium and you have to buy them online. What about cars that are similar in premiumness but aren't sold online? Like the Sentinel XS, it's not sold online. Does that mean if I see one I can steal it and claim it? I wish it was just sold online anyway, it's kind of annoying that they don't have at least most of the cars available to be bought.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

MrSpiffy posted:

Here, I custom coded up a special site to check GTA's online status so you don't have to!

I love you.

cornface posted:

If only there were huge companies that offered some sort of service to deal with wildly fluctuating demand requirements and based billed costs on actual resource utilization. Maybe some sort of virtual servers in some sort of...Rockstar cloud.

But it is only a dream.

If only you knew how hard it is to move a whole online infrastructure!

But its only a dream.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

cornface posted:

But it is only a dream.

By the time they set up the additional capability by uploading everything, the rush will be over.

Orcrez
Apr 11, 2009

MrSpiffy posted:

Can we get this on the OP!

The start of the online story while playing female is funny as hell!

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

MrSpiffy posted:

I'm having more trouble loading the Twitter website than I am GTA:Online :colbert: What now, smart guy?

Seriously Twitter and the Rockstar Social Club stopped working on my PC but I can play online now. Worth the trade.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

MrSpiffy posted:

:allears:

Many thanks! Adding this to the OP now.

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...

TehGherkin posted:

reload a save game, that should fix it for you.

This fixed my issue. Thanks!

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
I created 2 characters the other day and was able to level one of them this evening (ps3) somewhere round rank 4-5. I was eventually stuck on a loading screen for a long time, dashboarded ps3, and now for the past several hours neither character shows up. People have mentioned the cloud being down but how do I know when it is up, or if my characters were lost in its bugginess?

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I almost read the loading screen message about waypoints as "Having trouble getting online?". :shepface:

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
It took me back to the start of online and unlike last time I didn't get to choose my character so now I have a bald dude/chick I can't tell with headphones on. WTF?

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

It took me back to the start of online and unlike last time I didn't get to choose my character so now I have a bald dude/chick I can't tell with headphones on. WTF?

Happens when the Rockstar Cloud/Social Club goes down.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Sondlar posted:

Not that anyone was ever wondering but apparently retarded gaming guru DarkSydePhil did a playthrough. Naturally it's near suicide inducing, it's entertaining me watching montages of his moronic bitching while GTA:O gets slowly fixed.

Is he on PS3? I think I hear his voice at the eternal waiting screen complaining about stuff.

e: This is totally him ahahahaha holy poo poo.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Make it the thread title.

Sondlar
Sep 9, 2004

miscellaneous14 posted:

Is he on PS3? I think I hear his voice at the eternal waiting screen complaining about stuff.

e: This is totally him ahahahaha holy poo poo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9BCkoysl1I Bugged cop mechanics.

Eelface
Jul 23, 2002

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

It doesn't appear to check anything, but if you want his twitter handle it's good for that

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Oh he's on 360. This dude on mic is a dead ringer for him, hits the same whiny high notes and everything.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

MrSpiffy posted:

Does this actually do anything because the "No." is just plain text in the page source...

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I got to play for a few minutes so I'm pretty happy at this point. Then when I went back to singleplayer I couldn't even bring up the character select wheel but I guess the rest of the game as only Trevor isn't so bad.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

MrSpiffy posted:

This is cool, but it says "No." and I'm playing online, so I'm not sure how that works! :shrug:

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Does this actually do anything because the "No." is just plain text in the page source...

Slim Killington posted:

This is cool, but it says "No." and I'm playing online, so I'm not sure how that works! :shrug:

Its a joke.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
Oh yeah, if you are still having issues with the tutorial race, try uninstalling the title update and then redownloading it and trying again. If it still doesn't work, delete the character and try again. This worked for me and others and was added to the Status Page silently earlier. Spent a few hours playing just now. Hoo boy is that fun.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Slim Killington posted:

:negative:

COME. ON.

Freddie should pull an even bigger prank because people will believe just about anything.

Hey guys I heard you can get GTA Online to work flawlessly if you cover your PS3 in grape jam. If you're on the 360 you'll need a gallon of extra creamy peanut butter smeared into your fans.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

MrSpiffy posted:

Is this real or are you toying with my emotions?

Herr Direktor
Mar 19, 2006
Oh god you guys.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

FYI most programming languages run their code on the back-end and then output HTML so you wouldn't see his API calls to the R* servers in the source.

Totally legit.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Jon93 posted:

:negative:
If you're on the 360 you'll need a gallon of extra creamy peanut butter smeared into your fans.

Tried this and it worked.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I kind of wish that GTA:O would add some sort of cancel option when you're stuck waiting in menus.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
You need to enter the Konami code frontwards in reverse before they'll let you play the tutorial race.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I finally got in and did a job with three other players, and right before receiving payment I got kicked by another player. Is this a bug or a feature (from their perspective)?

edit: also my character looks like someone who huffs paint thinnner professionally, just like every other one I was able to make. But I read that like 3628 pages ago yesterday in this thread so I assume no one else can do any better.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Oct 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
So I guess the character I sank three hours into this morning is never coming back huh? ='(

• Locked thread