Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Double-posting from last month. I realized today that my commute is directly away from the sun in both directions, so I get to watch my shadow. My Sena headset makes my shadow look like a Borg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

Double-posting from last month. I realized today that my commute is directly away from the sun in both directions, so I get to watch my shadow. My Sena headset makes my shadow look like a Borg.

Mine is the exact opposite. I get to squint like clint eastwood if I time my commute even a few minutes incorrectly on a sunny day.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

:respek:

I don't have a BorgCam but I, too, love my shadow on both ends of my commute. Even at 5'11" I still look huge on the Ninjette! :buddy:

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

Slavvy posted:

Mine is the exact opposite. I get to squint like clint eastwood if I time my commute even a few minutes incorrectly on a sunny day.

I realised this week that I picked my holiday base incorrectly for this exact reason. Hooning back west through the cornish hills and valleys, suddenly not being able to see due to a giant blazing ball of fusion a few million miles away is not fun.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I put squares of black duct tape in intervals across the top of my helmet visor - I can position my head in such a way that the sun is occluded. It's pretty low-tech but it works well enough, especially for seeing traffic lights when the sun is low.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

clutchpuck posted:

I put squares of black duct tape in intervals across the top of my helmet visor - I can position my head in such a way that the sun is occluded. It's pretty low-tech but it works well enough, especially for seeing traffic lights when the sun is low.

I did that on my last helmet with some window tint film from Autozone. Just cut a strip and ran it along the top inch or two of the visor. Worked great and I've been meaning to do it on my new lid.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Finding my route to work backed up for several hundred meters because a bus had a breakdown in the middle of an intersection, coasting past the 50+ stuck cars, smoothly navigating past the stranded bus and arriving to work no later than usual. :smug:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

LifeSizePotato posted:

I did that on my last helmet with some window tint film from Autozone. Just cut a strip and ran it along the top inch or two of the visor. Worked great and I've been meaning to do it on my new lid.

Some (all?) modern Shark helmets have refracting prisms cast into the upper edge of the visor which bend sunlight away from your eyes.

Meanwhile, I'm looking for a transparent non-UV blocking visor for my shoei so my tinting spectacles actually work :(

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Saw a great-grandmother sitting outside with her great-grandson waving at passing by cars, so I waved at her and she started to wave happily at me.
Adorable as hell.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Some (all?) modern Shark helmets have refracting prisms cast into the upper edge of the visor which bend sunlight away from your eyes.

Meanwhile, I'm looking for a transparent non-UV blocking visor for my shoei so my tinting spectacles actually work :(

I think you'll struggle because almost all visors will have some form of UV coating to protect the visor itself (polycarbonate yellows with exposure to UV) and the antiscratch and antifog coatings if it has them.

Bow TIE Fighter
Sep 16, 2007

Our cummerbunds can't repel firepower of that magnitude!

Slavvy posted:

I had the same problem with my first helmet, and I used prescription sunglasses for a while, but the depth perception was slightly off, so it wasn't a good idea. When I eventually replaced that helmet, I got the AFX FX-140 (http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/afx-fx-140/review.htm) which has a flip down tinted visor like fighter pilot helmets. It's also modular and has a quick-release chin strap, which is nice too. I don't know what your budget is, but they're on sale for $100 right now.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Clear road and sunset on the commute home after a busy day, and not a single other muppet on the road. Coming home to delicious food and a hot bath.

Theseanmower
Jan 3, 2013

1. Pulling into the busiest parking lot at my college 10 minutes before class while weaving around lines of gridlocked cars waiting for a spot to free up.

2. Pulling into the huge motorcycle-only parking space in the same parking lot where there's only 2-3 bikes parked. :smuggo:

3. Walking past those same lines of cars on my way to class trying hard not to grin ear-to-ear.

4. Being able to lane-split past the traffic backed up through 3 intersections on the way home.

5. Being on the receiving end of the wave and returning it.

Last year I seriously spent 30-40 minutes some days just putting around looking for a parking spot in my car (In California during August, with a broken A/C). My motorcycle has made my commute about 100x more pleasant.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Riding to another city an hour away (country roads :banjo:) yesterday evening, some music going on my headphones, which would periodically fade out to have my phone's artificial lady voice give me turn-by-turn directions right in my ear. Flipping my helmet's sun visor up/down as forests/direction of travel necessitated, was hard not to feel like Master Chief or something.

Stayed overnight and rode straight to work this morning, I beat the navigation app's estimate of my travel time by 15% without really even doing that much speeding (I think most of it was being able to split to the front through long pileups of commuters at red lights).

Finally saw a wild boar on the way back to my city this morning, albeit in the form of roadkill :smith:

TheCoconutman
Sep 13, 2007
Who took the money from the house fund? the coconutman, Fuck the coconutman
-Having the guy on his porch drinking coffee on his porch give a wave as I rode by
-Feeling gnats hitting my chest and face between my helmet and goggles
-Smelling everything on roads I've driven a car down thousands of times, fresh grass to horse poo poo
-Just the satisfaction of pulling through corners on a bike that didn't run when I bought it

dimmlight
Aug 24, 2004
- The wave To me it is like a secret handshake that you can't use unless you are on a bike
- VIP Parking There is always great parking right up front most places I go
- My 15 minute car commute is usually 1 - 2 hours on my bike not due to traffic, due to me taking ridiculously long routes
- Cleaning dead bugs off my face shied Not sure why I like this...
- Temperature changes from city to country to suburb to whatever it just feels awesome

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Sitting at a stoplight in 101-degree Texas heat, geared up in textiles, the sweat pouring out of every inch of you - and then the light turns and traffic starts moving and the breeze through your mask's open visor and the vents in your jacket just feel soooo good. Like when you hold off on scratching an itch and then finally let loose. Ahhh.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Splitting through traffic at a red light, having the light go green right as I get to the front and just blasting out into the intersection in first/second (after a quick check to make sure nobody's running the red). :japan:

Today I made a detour after work to stop by a buddy's place and pick up my other mesh jacket (had been on indefinite loan to him for the last year), since I'm supposed to be taking a pillion on Saturday. Was a 2 hour ride home on local roads (would have been about 90 minutes if I'd taken the expressway, but 60 of that would have been horrifically boring suburbs, plus it costs money), so I opted for some unexplored mountain passes and was not disappointed. I normally try to avoid riding at night, but in this case I didn't really have a choice. Having to navigate an unfamiliar mountain road in the dark was challenging, but I really enjoyed watching the evening fade to night, see stars come out, and some good music going on my headphones/navigation app steering me homeward. Earlier in the ride a Mercedes was actually nice enough to chuck his hazards on and pull over so I could pass him, I evened out the road-karma by letting a dude go around me in one of the darker/hairier bits where I was taking the corners slowly.

I really enjoy riding, which is good since my car's tranny poo poo the bed last month and I think I'm just not gonna bother replacing it. Only got 11 months left here. Still so much I wanna explore.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Sep 12, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The other day I stopped at a light next to a 50-something guy on a v-max. He flipped up his visor and we started talking poo poo about our bikes and how he's a Kawasaki man at heart and got the v-max because he's always wanted one. Then the light turned green and he flipped down his visor and went into war mode and raced me full-throttle to the next light. I remember thinking his bike wasn't as fast as I expected. :hellyeah:

Then at the next light we stopped and talked poo poo again, and it turned out he has his vboost on a manual switch that he can activate and deactivate whenever. He flipped it on, looked at me and said 'watch this!'. V-max' sound amazing when they're screaming off into the distance :swoon:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
It's kind of silly to have a manual vboost switch. The idea is that the engine eventually spins too fast for the carburetors to keep up so it opens a passage between front and rear intakes or something like that and pulls supplementary charge from the carb whose intake valve is closed. You gain nothing by switching it on at low rpm besides probably some gurgly rich sound.

Contributing to the topic:

I love warm rain. We don't get much of it around here; warm months in Washington lowlands are typically dry so when it's rainy, the rain is cold and pretty much borderline fog. Hitting a high plains shower on a 100 degree day and feeling the bath-warm water evaporate and cool me down is one of the greatest things. With the drought conditions in the west these past couple years, I've been missing it.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 12, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

It's kind of silly to have a manual vboost switch. The idea is that the engine eventually spins too fast for the carburetors to keep up so it opens a passage between front and rear intakes or something like that and pulls supplementary charge from the carb whose intake valve is closed. You gain nothing by switching it on at low rpm besides probably some gurgly rich sound.

Contributing to the topic:

I love warm rain. We don't get much of it around here; warm months in Washington lowlands are typically dry so when it's rainy, the rain is cold and pretty much borderline fog. Hitting a high plains shower on a 100 degree day and feeling the bath-warm water evaporate and cool me down is one of the greatest things. With the drought conditions in the west these past couple years, I've been missing it.

No it wasn't manual in that sense, the switch disabled the vboost entirely. So with the switch ON the vboost behaved like normal, with it switched OFF it never activated the vboost at all, presumably for economy.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
Those switches are dumb but they are hugely popular. Most flip between engaging at 3k or stock at 6k. Others disable it entirely.

Popular reasons being:
For the hell of it.
Mpg boost.
Tuning stage 7 jet kits.

The sound of vboost hitting the engine remains my favorite thing about the bike. There's plenty of faster bikes these days, but the power delivery of the bike puts a smile on my face every time.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I love my "Pass" trigger.

That poo poo makes me feel like a winner.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

PadreScout posted:

I love my "Pass" trigger.

That poo poo makes me feel like a winner.

I tell everybody it's a nitrous switch.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I now cast a shadow with a bright orange bit since I fitted the OEM orange windscreen. It looks awesome.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Sep 30, 2013

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Orange and black are the two best motorcycle colors. :colbert:

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin
Wasn't sure the best place to put this but I was sat at traffic lights this morning when a a 2-up Honda VFR 800 pulled up alongside. I look over and notice that the pillion is wearing TINY boots and I realise it's a girl of no more than 12. She takes the opportunity to cuddle the rider, which I thought was cute as, but then the rider turns and flips up their helmet and I realise it's her mum.

Dunno why, but I just thought it was the coolest, sweetest thing ever. They both looked so happy, too - like there was nothing else going on in the world.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That is fantastic.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Yep, mom riders are the best. I passed a mom and her son (maybe 12-13) on an old Honda cruiser and gave the son a big thumbs-up. He had a big smile on his face the entire time they were in my sight.

Wish they were wearing more gear, though. :ohdear:

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

hermand posted:

Wasn't sure the best place to put this but I was sat at traffic lights this morning when a a 2-up Honda VFR 800 pulled up alongside. I look over and notice that the pillion is wearing TINY boots and I realise it's a girl of no more than 12. She takes the opportunity to cuddle the rider, which I thought was cute as, but then the rider turns and flips up their helmet and I realise it's her mum.

Dunno why, but I just thought it was the coolest, sweetest thing ever. They both looked so happy, too - like there was nothing else going on in the world.

That is awesome.

I've seen some people with their kids on bikes too, rarely do the kids have any gear. Two guys I know from another m/c board have their kids on the back and bought full gear for them.

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
A small boy on his BMX bike has delared me a motorcycle man while giving an enormous thumbs up. His mom nodded approvingly. This is the best thing.

As a pretty new rider, here's my 5. Most have been widely covered but oh well:

1)Hopping on the bike with the intention of a quick errand and blowing a day actually getting to know the area I live in. SO many streets!

2)Holy poo poo, there are so many smells in the world! Conversely. Holy poo poo, what *is* that!?

3)Stil being new enough that even getting the bike over a few degrees more makes you feel like a pro. As an addendum, finally figuring out a corner you've parked it on for weeks.

4)Always having something to work on, and noticing your own improvement. I love that when I hop on the bike I can say "ok, let's work on X" today and the list will always be endless.

5)The gear. What can I say I feel badass suiting up before heading out.

EvilSlug
Dec 5, 2004
Not crazy, just evil.
Kids make you feel like a god. I love kids.

I had a terrible day yesterday. Today I caught up with a guy with his kid on the back that were both fully geared and he gave me room to the left at a stoplight. I rolled up in my mirrored reaper helmet with a nod and his kid absolutely flipped the hell out. Fumbled his visor open with wide eyes and gave me a thumbs-up excitedly while pointing from toe to head at his own gear. I gave the kid an approving nod, leaned over and extended my fist. For a moment in time, the kid and I were the biggest badasses on the face of the planet and his father was the best dad ever.

Today was a good day.

IHatePancakes
Jan 29, 2009
Since I've switched from a '01 KLR to a '13 WR250R..

1:Wheelies

2:Being able to ride over anything

3:Free parking...everywhere

4:Nearly twice the mileage of my KLR

5:More wheelies

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
1) Not riding a KLR.

2) Not riding a KLR.

3) Not riding a KLR.

4) Not riding a KLR.

5) Not riding a KLR.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I liked MotoMind's KLR. :( A lot of it was the "not giving a gently caress" factor that comes with riding a giant lead dongcopter though.

1. passing people 20-over with the twist of a wrist
2. making lots of noise
3. ???
4. in N out
5. the south will rise again

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Z3n posted:

1) Not riding a KLR.

2) Not riding a KLR.

3) Not riding a KLR.

4) Not riding a KLR.

5) Not riding a KLR.

I didn't think it was possible to be this wrong in a single post.

(I love 80-odd hp and not riding a big thumper, but the KLR is tops when it comes to goofy don't-give-a-poo poo fun).

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Z3n posted:

1) Not riding a KLR.

2) Not riding a KLR.

3) Not riding a KLR.

4) Not riding a KLR.

5) Not riding a KLR.

Look how wrong you are. The KLR is awesome.

not a KLR owner

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

slidebite posted:

not a KLR owner

I knew I liked you.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

slidebite posted:

not a KLR owner

Klr owners are like civic ricers with a PVC obsession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IHatePancakes
Jan 29, 2009

Z3n posted:

Not riding a KLR.

I'll admit I loved my KLR, but I had a long list of repairs after an accident I chose to sell it for parts than fixing it. Mine, pre-accident, was modified about as much as I could without boring the motor out. Two brothers pipe, more aggressive cam, header, carb and airbox work, suspension and other things I know I'm forgetting. It was punchy as a KLR can get. But, it was older, and I had to be pretty aggressive with my maintenance on it. I look back on it with rose tinted goggles I suppose, I had a blast with it and I learned a lot from the 45,000 odd miles I put on it.

But the WR250R is loving awesome. It's a scalpel compared to the KLR, which was more of a cudgel.

• Locked thread