Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Pudgygiant posted:

It's not the help desk- I'm a network engineer. These are getting elevated from the help desk :suicide:
Then it sounds like a training issue and you should bring it up with their boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed

Nativity In Black posted:

So I'm getting tired of my current position and rather than look for another similar position I'm considering getting some business cards printed up and striking out as a "consultant." Have any of you other goons done anything like this successfully?

I have plenty of ways I could get my card in the hands of potential customers, I'm just not sure if it's a feasible thing.

The only person I know who works as a consultant works 90 hours a week dealing with nothing but the most frustrating broken disasters of systems and networks. He makes a shitload of money but he has so many commitments of time to so many clients that he really can't do anything but work and sleep. So, that's something to look forward to if you're ever extremely successful in the field.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

TobyObi posted:

So it's a 16GB read/write USB stick, designed to be plugged into randomly infected computers, over and over again.

That doesn't sound risky at all!

I'd pay maybe 60 dollars for that thing if it worked out as well as it did. That would have to come stacked with at least 4 other anti-virus programs to make 400/year worth wild.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

n0tqu1tesane posted:

What exact problem are you having? We support a lot of Cisco SX and C series systems in standalone environments without VCS or CUCM, it would be helpful in case we ever run into a similar problem what to look for.

This is long and probably uninteresting if you don't deal with video conference.

Basically what happens is the system has trouble dialing other systems when using the central/corporate phone book that is pushed to the systems by TMS. If the number is entered manually, or the entry is local to the system, it goes through. On older systems, they have no issues with the phone book at all.
While all the users connect using the remote and the on-screen UI, I do most of my testing using the webui, and that is where I noticed it breaking first. A site reported they couldn't call when using the remote, but so far it seems either unique to them.
Looking through the logs on the system, it looks like when the machine goes to call an IP, it suddenly can't find a protocol to use and dumps the connection. What it looks like its doing is adding IP: to the front of the address and then failing. If just the IP number is in, works fine. If H323:<ip address> is in, works fine.
Doing more digging, the cisco guy thinks it is related to a bug in TMS in how it pushes out the address. Apparently sites with those fancy rear end touch screens had this problem, and he thinks its related.
So I download to an newer TMS version, which then promptly breaks all the systems address books. TMS uses IIS to serve out the file with the address and call setup info, and now permissions to the folder these are in is all hosed. I somehow got this working 2 years ago, but now I can't remember the magic settings I got to make this work. Since I don't admin windows servers or IIS at all, this has been a real treat. Hopefully I'll figure out why IIS isn't letting anonymous users hit the folders tomorrow, or I'll probably go insane.

We've been adding roughly 5 of these a year to our network, the amount of troubleshooting on these is almost becoming a full time job. I don't think we can keep up not having a central call manger if this keeps up, but we don't have the budget for one, so yippie.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

TobyObi posted:

So it's a 16GB read/write USB stick, designed to be plugged into randomly infected computers, over and over again.

That doesn't sound risky at all!

I don't know if this is the case, but it could easily have a r/o partition for the anti-malware poo poo, and a separate r/w partition that you can do what you want with.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

dvgrhl posted:

It really makes no sense to me either. One thing I've noticed though, there seems to be strong correlation in my experience with being a good programmer and having a decent understanding of computers. But there's so many "programmers" now that don't even know strong fundamental Computer Science principles, let alone what's happening underneath all of that code. I get that not everyone is a Linux kernel programmer, but you work on a computer all day and write code that runs on a computer, you should probably have a bit of an understanding of computers.

What endeared me to my last job was when one of the developers stuck his head into the IT room and said "I think my laptop has some bad RAM... can I borrow a screwdriver ?"

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010

Pudgygiant posted:

It's not the help desk- I'm a network engineer. These are getting elevated from the help desk :suicide:

Important lesson:
Everyone is an idiot when dealing with things they only sort of understand. And many of your colleagues (of all types) only sort of understand their core job responsibilities.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

mllaneza posted:

What endeared me to my last job was when one of the developers stuck his head into the IT room and said "I think my laptop has some bad RAM... can I borrow a screwdriver ?"

Perfectly reasonable. Most laptops require a screwdriver to get at the RAM modules.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
An enquiry form came in

quote:

Hello Sir / Madam,
I just came across your website when I search for (term) and thought you might interested in redesign of your website as it looks out dated and low standard, If you would like to get a quote please feel free to contact me.

Hello Shithead,

I just came across your enquiry and thought you may be interested in consultancy from our sales engineers, as your sales pitch sounds offensive and low standard. If you would like to get a quote please feel free to contact me.

Kind regards,
GB
Webmaster

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

After 6 months of working in 2nd level I popped my cherry:

quote:

Dear Team,

Please find the screenshot, it is opening in Remedy.
Please do the needful on priority.
:woop:

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

CitizenKain posted:

This is long and probably uninteresting if you don't deal with video conference.

Basically what happens is the system has trouble dialing other systems when using the central/corporate phone book that is pushed to the systems by TMS. If the number is entered manually, or the entry is local to the system, it goes through. On older systems, they have no issues with the phone book at all.
While all the users connect using the remote and the on-screen UI, I do most of my testing using the webui, and that is where I noticed it breaking first. A site reported they couldn't call when using the remote, but so far it seems either unique to them.
Looking through the logs on the system, it looks like when the machine goes to call an IP, it suddenly can't find a protocol to use and dumps the connection. What it looks like its doing is adding IP: to the front of the address and then failing. If just the IP number is in, works fine. If H323:<ip address> is in, works fine.
Doing more digging, the cisco guy thinks it is related to a bug in TMS in how it pushes out the address. Apparently sites with those fancy rear end touch screens had this problem, and he thinks its related.
So I download to an newer TMS version, which then promptly breaks all the systems address books. TMS uses IIS to serve out the file with the address and call setup info, and now permissions to the folder these are in is all hosed. I somehow got this working 2 years ago, but now I can't remember the magic settings I got to make this work. Since I don't admin windows servers or IIS at all, this has been a real treat. Hopefully I'll figure out why IIS isn't letting anonymous users hit the folders tomorrow, or I'll probably go insane.

We've been adding roughly 5 of these a year to our network, the amount of troubleshooting on these is almost becoming a full time job. I don't think we can keep up not having a central call manger if this keeps up, but we don't have the budget for one, so yippie.

Honestly, it would probably be worth it to budget for a VCS Starter Pack Express, especially if you're putting that many systems in. http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/ps7060/ps11305/ps11315/ps11337/data_sheet_c78-697075.html

It really starts to make a difference to have a centralized call management tool once you hit a certain number of endpoints. It also simplifies call routing, since you don't have to rely on static IPs, and makes external calling a lot easier.

EDIT: What industry are you in?

n0tqu1tesane fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Oct 3, 2013

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Some joker set up a GPO to redirect my bookmark for the Microsoft VLSC to the website for the Vancouver Lake Sailing Club :argh:

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

giZm posted:

After 6 months of working in 2nd level I popped my cherry:

quote:

quote:

Dear Team,

Please find the screenshot, it is opening in Remedy.
Please do the needful on priority.
:woop:

I love "doing the needful", although I still have priority things in my inbox from 1998. I only "do the needful" if there is a date attached. :)

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Pudgygiant posted:

That help desk needs to be burned to the ground with the manager inside.

That kind of lovely training is inexcusable.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Honestly, it would probably be worth it to budget for a VCS Starter Pack Express, especially if you're putting that many systems in. http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/ps7060/ps11305/ps11315/ps11337/data_sheet_c78-697075.html

It really starts to make a difference to have a centralized call management tool once you hit a certain number of endpoints. It also simplifies call routing, since you don't have to rely on static IPs, and makes external calling a lot easier.

EDIT: What industry are you in?

Banking.

I think next year we are looking at VCS or whatever the Cisco rep sells us, not my decision. At the moment, external calls aren't an issue, as we don't let these go out of the network anyway.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

"I have not gotten any mail since July, what's up?"
Your domain expired
"How can I fix that?"
It was purchased by a squatter, so you can pay them to buy it back?
"Dammit"

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

God drat, domain renewals are so loving cheap there's no reason not to just buy a few more years every time you think know about it.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Our company is so loving cheap they would rather let unused domains expire than pay £20 for 2 years.

I guess we should probably be safe from people grabbing these random domains with our name in them and impersonating us or something, and on the other end of the scale I wouldn't want them panicking and listening to every scam email from Hong Kong claiming that someone has applied for {companyname}.hk or whatever.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
Probably a dumb question but is there a maximum latency that RDP can support before its unusable? I got an inherited ticket where the client is on a satellite connection at home and the office is on a satellite connection with a different provider and she is trying to RDP into the office, but keeps on getting the reconnecting box. I am thinking she is boned as without any network congestion or internal latency were looking at 1200ms minimum latency but realistically it would probably be higher. It doesn't look like much has been done, an email was sent out with suggestions but I have no idea of the client has tried anything or if it was even received. I know you can adjust the experience options to reduce the bandwidth usage but im not sure if it will ever be enough.

YOTJ Update:
Interview went well I thought. Towards the end the HR person looked bored out of her mind while I was answering the technical questions so I hope that doesn't count against me. I am hoping to hear back soon. Although the look on the face when I explained some of the situations I deal with here was worth it regardless if i get the job.

Edit: hey, new avatar.. thanks whoever did it!

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 3, 2013

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
So what the hell should I do with a coworker who randomly vomits buzzwords but has little to no idea what he is talking about?

I'm seriously considering just calling him out randomly, but i'm wondering if there's a nicer happier less confrontational "You're a goddamn idiot" kind of way...

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

nitrogen posted:

So what the hell should I do with a coworker who randomly vomits buzzwords but has little to no idea what he is talking about?

I'm seriously considering just calling him out randomly, but i'm wondering if there's a nicer happier less confrontational "You're a goddamn idiot" kind of way...

"That doesn't apply in this situation."
"How do you think that would be relevant?"
"Where are my pants?"

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

nitrogen posted:

Show him up by knowing the buzzwords and asking for clarification?

"You think we should look into SaaS? Fair enough, what are your opinions on Converged Cloud vs. Smartcloud?"

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

nitrogen posted:

Promote them to management.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

fivre posted:

Promote them to management.

Unfortunately i think this is about to happen.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

GentlemansSleepover posted:

Holy poo poo.

I remember early in my career as a developer assuming that my coworkers were like me, actively interested in computers in general, and programming specifically. I can't do the poo poo most sysadmins do, but I'm competent enough to know that the little box under my desk isn't populated by wizards. I'd say maybe 10% of the developers I know and have worked with are on the same level, and I find that so confusing.

I get being an office drone who's only responsibility is to update an accounting spreadsheet all day long not knowing a drat thing about computers, but I can't figure out the person who's writing software for the magic boxes not knowing how these things work, even a little bit.

I once had a programmer ask my boss what a byte was. :gonk:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

ratbert90 posted:

I once had a programmer ask my boss what a byte was. :gonk:

"Eight bits"

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Got my first "do the needful" in almost ten years of IT career!

"It looks like you are correct in that the array accelerator battery has failed. Please kindly hold the line and I will do the needful to set up a case for you."

Reality
Sep 26, 2010

nitrogen posted:

My supervisor does this so I just say, "That has nothing to do with the current situation" quite a lot and move on. It's painful to hear him talk about projects we work on or watch him try to browse the Internet.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

GreenNight posted:

"Eight bits"

"Or "four shaves and a haircut"s."

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

GreenNight posted:

"Eight bits"

Two nibbles?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Two nibbles?

You mean the old DOS game?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

GreenNight posted:

You mean the old DOS game?

Yes. One byte is equivalent to two expanding "snakes"

stevewm
May 10, 2005

blackswordca posted:

Probably a dumb question but is there a maximum latency that RDP can support before its unusable? I got an inherited ticket where the client is on a satellite connection at home and the office is on a satellite connection with a different provider and she is trying to RDP into the office, but keeps on getting the reconnecting box. I am thinking she is boned as without any network congestion or internal latency were looking at 1200ms minimum latency but realistically it would probably be higher. It doesn't look like much has been done, an email was sent out with suggestions but I have no idea of the client has tried anything or if it was even received. I know you can adjust the experience options to reduce the bandwidth usage but im not sure if it will ever be enough.

Remote Desktop 8.0 contains a UDP mode that was designed to work better for high-latency links. (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rds/archive...erver-2012.aspx) However it requires the terminal server be Windows Server 2012, and the client minimum Windows 7 SP1 with the RDP 8.0 updates installed.

But even then I doubt it will cope well with a minimum 1000ms latency connection..

So in short, they are pretty much boned.

Edit: Does client not have any other connection available to them? 3/4G celluar?, etc...

stevewm fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 3, 2013

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

stevewm posted:

Remote Desktop 8.0 contains a UDP mode that was designed to work better for high-latency links. (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rds/archive...erver-2012.aspx) However it requires the terminal server be Windows Server 2012, and the client minimum Windows 7 SP1 with the RDP 8.0 updates installed.

But even then I doubt it will cope well with a minimum 1000ms latency connection..

So in short, they are pretty much boned.

Edit: Does client not have any other connection available to them? 3/4G celluar?, etc...

In this case its a Windows 7 machine connecting to a Vista business machine.

On paper 3g is supposed to work, but the connection is very flaky as this is a town in the middle of nowhere. I just found out after a phone call to the site manage instead of the accountant that it may be a dish issues as there was a lightning strike on the grain elevator where the dish is. They were still able to browse so they assumed everything was ok

According to the site manager the Vista computer the accountant connects to needs to be hard reset about three or four times a day so I am putting that as a point of failure as well

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Nativity In Black posted:

So I'm getting tired of my current position and rather than look for another similar position I'm considering getting some business cards printed up and striking out as a "consultant." Have any of you other goons done anything like this successfully?

I have plenty of ways I could get my card in the hands of potential customers, I'm just not sure if it's a feasible thing.

What I'd do is print up those cards and start passing them out while you are still working full time. As clients come in you can work evenings and take the occasional long lunch or half day at your regular gig to meet with potential clients and do work during business hours.

If you business starts to take off, you'll hit a point that you realize you can't do both and can finally drop your full time gig and hopefully live off the income you are making from your moonlight gig.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

blackswordca posted:

Although the look on the face when I explained some of the situations I deal with here was worth it regardless if i get the job.

Can you expand upon this? Just wondering if you tell stories that make your current place of employment look bad. That would be a huge no-no and if I was interviewing someone and they did that, they would probably not get the job.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
Oh my god, the place I work is staffed entirely by loving clinical retards.

So you may remember the Saga of Fuckstick McGee and the Stolen Laptops (which are never getting recovered, though we have successfully fobbed off the blame for them onto another dept at least.) Well, I'm working this evening, and here is what's happened.

1) We are currently in the middle of our open enrollment benefits period.
2) Our IT security manager, without notifying ANYONE, enlisted a third-party service to run a phishing test against us.
3) The phishing test had spoofed headers to appear to come from the benefits department.
4) The content of the test was "the benefits period is about to expire!"
5) This blew up the benefits dept, who had no idea what the e-mail was because nobody told anybody poo poo.
6) The genius security manager INCLUDED PARTNERS on the list of people to use for the testing. (We are a law firm, that is Not Okay.)
7) The benefits dept, having just blown up, e-mails the entire IT dept trying to figure out what's going on.
8) Genius security manager explains what he has done.
9) Benefits dept begs him to send an IT alert indicating what was actually happening.
10) "Oh, we'll get to that tomorrow." VERBATIM.

There will be no repercussions for this behavior for the security manager.

We're puttin' the rear end in profassionalz here, is what we're doing.

Edit: when I stop posting it's because my office was burned down by an enraged mob of benefits employees.

TheFuzzyLumpkin fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 3, 2013

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

demonachizer posted:

Can you expand upon this? Just wondering if you tell stories that make your current place of employment look bad. That would be a huge no-no and if I was interviewing someone and they did that, they would probably not get the job.

He asked about when I dealt with a major outage and how I handled the situation. I told him about the exchange 2007-2010 migration that blew up on us a few months ago as it was the freshest one in my mind. He asked why we didn't run the migration in a test environment and i told him that the company I work for doesn't run anything in test environments and always does updates to the live environment which is 100% true. I didn't then go into a full "lol this place sucks" mode, just answered specific questions when asked trying hard not to sound like I was bashing anyone. He also asked about a situation where I disagreed with the manager and how I handled it. So I mentioned the recent situation where we had a disagreement on remote firmware flashing a management switch.

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 3, 2013

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

blackswordca posted:

He asked about when I dealt with a major outage and how I handled the situation. I told him about the exchange 2007-2010 migration that blew up on us a few months ago. He asked why we didn't run the migration in a test environment and i told him that the company I work for doesn't run anything in test environments and always does updates to the live environment which is 100% true. I didn't then go into a full "lol this place sucks" mode, just answered specific questions when asked trying hard not to sound like I was bashing anyone.

Factual and direct answers like this should be okay, particularly when they're a response to a question that is asked (as opposed to volunteered "hey listen how lovely my current employer is").

We're all rooting for you, man.

wintermuteCF fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
AT&T sold off our entire subnet on Monday.

Apparently it was undocumented that we owned it.

• Locked thread