Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
What's sad about everyone mentioning how the show can be made significantly better is that I know just how impossible any of those things would be to get done. Forcing Bald Bryan to shut the gently caress up completely and cut about 90% of his drops out? Removing the FORCED 'segments' format of the podcast, removing with it the terrible loving 30-second intros and outros for each that are obnoxious, annoying, and downright infuriating to me? NOT doing the standard conservative shitbag move of complaining about your competition doing something as you do it yourself (the not knowing jack poo poo about your guests thing being a good example there)? Giving Allison a lot more room to work with, as she is definitely the smartest person in the room as well as someone who knows how to do 'good radio'? Ugh. All of this pisses me off to no end, because I actually LIKE Adam every once in a while when he produces something funny. It's just the other 98% of the time, and his personal life where he's clearly an enormous piece of poo poo to Drew and Ray, his friends, and Lynette. Also where he goes on FoxNews and is turning into Dennis Miller, someone who was funny as hell with a ton of potential who lost roughly 40 IQ points and took the easy road to money by tapping into the market of America's 'persecuted' right-wingers. Christ, he's an atheist who couldn't stop talking about sex education, birth control, and abortion rights because of how terrible overpopulation is as a societal ill. Now somehow he agrees about how Christians just need help to stop being the persecuted majority with 100% of the power as they quash women's rights and eliminate any semblance of sex education? Again: Ugh. It's sad to see just how far he's fallen.

The Oprah Magazine stuff, by the way? Fan-TASTIC!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

visuvius posted:

I like Brad Williams, I really do. I saw his breakout gig thing at a comedy festival thing put on by the local radio station and he tore it up next to some heavy hitters. Thing is, anytime anyone brings him up Carolla always has to pipe in about how it's great that Brad Williams isn't a schticky comedian that just talks about whatever their "thing" is. He is EXACTLY this type of comedian. I don't get it. Pretty much all his jokes somehow relate to being short, being a little person, little person sex or some related thing. I had this complaint about Brad Williams before he was ever on the Carolla podcast so when Adam mentioned that I was annoyed as poo poo.

Yet another example of Adam actually knowing nothing about his guest or being flat-out wrong even if he does.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

The Greg Proops show was good too. I love Greg, someone earlier mentioned how it's always the 1980s in Carolla's mind, Greg gleefully pointed that out about Carolla's choice of examples for mall stores.
This was hilarious, Greg's incredulous reaction was great (btw I had to look it up, and the two mall stores Adam mentioned went out of business in 1992 and 1996). The entire show was actually really good, and both Adam and Greg were really on. I actually love it when Adam sarcastically does 5/10 minutes on mundane stuff like nachos and food textures and stuff, and before they even started "What Can't Adam Complain About" he did 10 minutes on the roof of your mouth being too sensitive.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Apoplexy posted:

Christ, he's an atheist who couldn't stop talking about sex education, birth control, and abortion rights because of how terrible overpopulation is as a societal ill. Now somehow he agrees about how Christians just need help to stop being the persecuted majority with 100% of the power as they quash women's rights and eliminate any semblance of sex education? Again: Ugh. It's sad to see just how far he's fallen.

Loveline had some epic rants against religion back in the day. Now he tours with one of those guys he used to lambaste. I guess I can't blame him since that's where the money is at, but I don't like it when he pretends he's the same guy he was.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Niwrad posted:

Loveline had some epic rants against religion back in the day. Now he tours with one of those guys he used to lambaste. I guess I can't blame him since that's where the money is at, but I don't like it when he pretends he's the same guy he was.

I believe he even said he envies those who are religious a while ago, which he would never have said on Loveline (which is where that horrible Oprah joke that you all love so much originated. Guess I just don't like hearing the same joke for 15 years).

In defence of Brad Williams I think Adam made more jokes about Brad's height than he did, at the end he was turning almost everything into a height joke. I'll admit I've never seen Brad's standup act so maybe it's midget joke city but at least he is genuinely funny to back it up.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

Niwrad posted:

Adam is still openly an atheist, just far less militant about it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

I remember reading an awesome joke on twitter that went something like "I don't want to sound racist but all the women on the cover of O magazine look the same"

Are you friends with me on Facebook? Because I posted that word for word a while ago. :)

(Which, as Adam always says, people think the same way so it's perfectly possible that the joke could have come from two different people)

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Don't forget that if you want militant atheism, Penn's Sunday School can be quite enjoyable.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

vote_no posted:

Don't forget that if you want militant atheism, Penn's Sunday School can be quite enjoyable.

I listened expecting militant atheism and it really wasn't there. Vocal atheism, yes. Militant atheism, no.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

NewtGoongrich posted:

I listened expecting militant atheism and it really wasn't there. Vocal atheism, yes. Militant atheism, no.

I guess I meant that only in the context that he is unabashed, particularly in contrast to recent Carolla -- and even more than old Carolla, I think. He, too, has had good experiences with Christians in his life. That doesn't mean he's not going to tell every one of them that there's no God and that they sound really stupid.

I suppose militant is not the right word, so how about atheist proselytism?

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012

PROUD SHIT STAIN
There was a recent episode where Carolla talked about how he is completely opposed to Prager's views on religion because he is an atheist, but he respects him because he agrees with him on many other points. I think Adam has just matured in his atheism. Strange, since he seems to otherwise be an angry, bitter, financially successful husk.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I hope someone who's pretty good about checking out each new piece of content can post if there's more news on Adam and his marriage, as I'm stupidly interested in the drama of his life a lot more now that he's fallen to being someone I legitimately consider to be a 'bad person' with his conservatism and behavior from the past handful of years. If he or Lynette make some big news about a divorce, I'd love to know about it without having to suffer through each day's podcast and all.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I'd be surprised if they got divorced, they've got a lot tied up together. Also do things really seem that bad from what you guys have heard? I haven't been listening to all the podcasts, the only one I keep up with is the main show, but the last Dr. Drew show with Lynette where she talks about their problems didn't seem that bad to me. I mean her biggest example seemed to be that he didn't listen to her when she was trying to talk to him about Homeland (another show he doesn't watch). I know, it's just a symptom of a greater problem and all, but really? That doesn't sound like a horrible marriage, what couple doesn't have communication problems? It just doesn't strike me as something that would necessarily lead to a divorce.

But obviously I don't know the full story, who knows what's going on that's not being recorded in one of the 4 or 5 podcasts. For example, as Lynette mentioned in that show, they're in the process of moving to another house, and Carolla's only briefly mentioned that fact as an aside to something else he was talking about. It just hasn't come up as a topic, which is kind of bizarre. Moving is a big deal to most people, especially when you have a huge custom built house you're moving out of.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Apoplexy posted:

I hope someone who's pretty good about checking out each new piece of content can post if there's more news on Adam and his marriage, as I'm stupidly interested in the drama of his life a lot more now that he's fallen to being someone I legitimately consider to be a 'bad person' with his conservatism and behavior from the past handful of years. If he or Lynette make some big news about a divorce, I'd love to know about it without having to suffer through each day's podcast and all.

One thing I did pick up on was when he was talking about meeting Vince Vaughn, he mentioned that he's moving into his neighborhood. Doesn't necessarily mean anything...but who knows. Maybe he's moving there by himself.

Not Female
Sep 17, 2006
What the name implies.

Medullah posted:

One thing I did pick up on was when he was talking about meeting Vince Vaughn, he mentioned that he's moving into his neighborhood. Doesn't necessarily mean anything...but who knows. Maybe he's moving there by himself.

No, Lynnette brought up the move on her show way before Adam mentioned it. They aren't getting divorced guys, sorry.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
Adam brings up the new house, but in a way that makes it clear he isn't trying to brag about it. The whole Lowes story with the credit card, the Full Tard story about the closet demo.

I think Drew has brought Adam's new house up more on his show though.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

From what it sounds like Adam agreed to go to therapy which is what Lynette wanted.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

I still can't stand Bryan, but man that humorless, tumorous bastard is good at TiVo trivia.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Ever since someone here mentioned the 'laughs while he talks' thing I cant stand him either. It's like the FedEx arrow of suck.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

I was at the Minneapolis show that was recorded for today's podcast... Bryan has a permasmug look on his face the entire time he's on stage.

monstertruckdriver
Jul 23, 2006
give em another 3% and make em water

ultraviolence123 posted:

I was at the Minneapolis show that was recorded for today's podcast... Bryan has a permasmug look on his face the entire time he's on stage.

Sometimes when Adam's talking about a movie, for example, and just says "yeah that movie with [actor] and [actress]," Bryan will butt in with the name of the movie and say it in the most smug way possible. Of all the things I dislike about Bryan I think that takes the cake.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

monstertruckdriver posted:

Sometimes when Adam's talking about a movie, for example, and just says "yeah that movie with [actor] and [actress]," Bryan will butt in with the name of the movie and say it in the most smug way possible. Of all the things I dislike about Bryan I think that takes the cake.

He's so desperate to be "the movie guy" so he has to chime in whenever anyone mentions a movie and say "good movie good movie!" or something.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

I think it goes broader than just movies, I'm also convinced that Bryan was that guy in college who, whenever the professor would misspeak about something minor, would have to raise his hand and correct them: "Did you mean 'x'"?, when literally everyone else there who was sane knew exactly what they meant and just wanted to move on with the class.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

It's pretty impressive that they managed to find the world's most boring, unfunny, tedious, silent, uninteresting radio personality for the show today. Even Adam seemed pretty unimpressed and annoyed by him during the show.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Ez posted:

It's pretty impressive that they managed to find the world's most boring, unfunny, tedious, silent, uninteresting radio personality for the show today. Even Adam seemed pretty unimpressed and annoyed by him during the show.

Almost rivaled Elliott Gould...

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
The guy seemed like he did not get and was annoyed by the jokes/banter having to do with his wife. He was dry as poo poo. What the hell is this guys show like?

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Tom Barnard is pretty much everything that Carolla screams about when discussing hack radio, minus the techno music in the background. The guy I work with thinks Tom is god, so I end up hearing the last half of the show whenever I'm at my desk. It's horrible. 85% of it is classic rock and weather updates, then his co-host talks about local news followed by Barnard saying something racist. His nationwide claim to fame is that when Stern came to the Twin Cities in the mid 90s, Tom Barnard beat him every time in the ratings. I'm happy I went to the first show last Friday. The crowd was great there. Listening to both podcasts, the crowds were great at both shows. Minneapolis loves Carolla.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

ultraviolence123 posted:

I'm happy I went to the first show last Friday. The crowd was great there. Listening to both podcasts, the crowds were great at both shows. Minneapolis loves Carolla.

When you were there did anybody laugh at all when Bryan played drops all through Allison's theme song? That's the thing I hate most about the live shows, it's so annoying.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
So, I just had to rip off my headphones as Adam explains why it's okay for Allison to spoil the ending of breaking bad in a news story about the premiere event. And he literally just watched the first episode because his wife forced him to. What a cock. Now I have to be on guard listening to this stupid podcast while I wait for Netflix to stop dropping King of the Hill and start updating Breaking Bad.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Thanks for the warning. Not that I watch that show but I'm sure other posters will appreciate it.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

What? I could have sworn he's seen Breaking Bad, he keeps talking bout what a good show it is. Really? Jesus, I know it's been said, but the man has a complete lack of self-awareness. Where does he say the thing about hosts not knowing guest's work and when does he say he hasn't seen it? I want to write about this.

What Fun posted:

So, I just had to rip off my headphones as Adam explains why it's okay for Allison to spoil the ending of breaking bad in a news story about the premiere event. And he literally just watched the first episode because his wife forced him to. What a cock. Now I have to be on guard listening to this stupid podcast while I wait for Netflix to stop dropping King of the Hill and start updating Breaking Bad.

Well, there you go.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
It takes all kinds.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

I love that Jimmy Kimmel banned him from attending the screening of the last episode because he'd only watched the first.

Alison didn't spoil anything, the closest it comes to spoilers is Carolla mentioning that people were tweeting him stuff like "he died doing what he loved, or something" which is pretty vague.

I'm gonna get poo poo for this but I'm kinda with him here. The finale was a big deal and a lot of people have seen it and are going to talk about it. Now I don't think you should spell out the ending, so I disagree with him on that point, but discussing it generally I'm totally for, and that's what Alison did. That's the kind of news stuff that totally belongs in her segment.

What Fun posted:

Now I have to be on guard listening to this stupid podcast while I wait for Netflix to stop dropping King of the Hill and start updating Breaking Bad.
Yeah that's going to be tough, if you use any sort of social media or go on the internet... Netflix takes forever to put stuff up. Good news though, I doubt it will come up on the podcast again as he'll probably never see the rest of the show!

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

ultraviolence123 posted:

Tom Barnard is pretty much everything that Carolla screams about when discussing hack radio, minus the techno music in the background. The guy I work with thinks Tom is god, so I end up hearing the last half of the show whenever I'm at my desk. It's horrible.

He's really the anti-Mischke, when you think about it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I love that Jimmy Kimmel banned him from attending the screening of the last episode because he'd only watched the first.

Alison didn't spoil anything, the closest it comes to spoilers is Carolla mentioning that people were tweeting him stuff like "he died doing what he loved, or something" which is pretty vague.

I'm gonna get poo poo for this but I'm kinda with him here. The finale was a big deal and a lot of people have seen it and are going to talk about it. Now I don't think you should spell out the ending, so I disagree with him on that point, but discussing it generally I'm totally for, and that's what Alison did. That's the kind of news stuff that totally belongs in her segment.
Yeah that's going to be tough, if you use any sort of social media or go on the internet... Netflix takes forever to put stuff up. Good news though, I doubt it will come up on the podcast again as he'll probably never see the rest of the show!

I'm with you. Everyone and their brother has been talking about Breaking Bad for at least 2 years now, and if you waited to start watching it until now, I'm sorry - you're going to hear spoilers.

I have a friend I've been telling he needs to watch Breaking Bad since season 2, and he finally just started watching it and loves it. However, he was EXTREMELY pissed off because (major spoilers) Dean Norris mentioned something on an awards show on how even though Hank was dead, he was always going to be around. I told him I feel for him...but if he had just started watching it when I told him to, it wouldn't have been an issue. I'm not going to intentionally spoil it for anyone, but there will be someone somewhere who does.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

It's more about the journey than the ending anyway

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Bald Bryan made a joke on today's show that actually made me laugh out loud. I was was genuinely proud of him. Then I realized that he was actually making a much more shallow unfunny joke and it just happened to make sense because of the way the English language works.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
Well, I didn't wait to start the show until the finale aired, I've been following it to the best of my ability with my limited budget for years. I don't know what was actually said, it probably was tame. I'm avoiding reddit and whatever, I'm trying to censor myself because I know the Internet doesn't owe me anything. I just thought I was safe on the podcast of the guy who has never once talked about the show in any meaningful way. Don't lump me on with people who are upset about someone spoiling the ending to the Sixth Sense or something, I'd think I'd at least get a week's grace period.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

I've been listening to Carolla's podcasts everyday for over a year now. Usually I can shrug off his horrible opinions because I mostly enjoy his shows, and I think he's quick witted and funny. But occasionally like today he can piss me off where I have to just shut it off.

"They do thing thing where they go 'Why should somebody who makes millions of dollars have access to better healthcare than someone who chooses not to work?'"

Yes Adam, all poor people are poor because they choose not to work, and they deserve to die or face bankruptcy if they have an illness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Grant DaNasty posted:

I've been listening to Carolla's podcasts everyday for over a year now. Usually I can shrug off his horrible opinions because I mostly enjoy his shows, and I think he's quick witted and funny. But occasionally like today he can piss me off where I have to just shut it off.

"They do thing thing where they go 'Why should somebody who makes millions of dollars have access to better healthcare than someone who chooses not to work?'"

Yes Adam, all poor people are poor because they choose not to work, and they deserve to die or face bankruptcy if they have an illness.

I always defend Adam when people call him sexist, racist etc. but I can't defend the fact that he really really hates poor people. This thing where he thinks all poor people are lazy and stupid comes from his black and white, concrete thinking based solely on his experiences. His parents were poor and lazy, therefore all poor people are lazy. Adam wasn't bullied in school, therefore bullying doesn't exist. He has never known a person with peanut allergies, therefore nobody has peanut allergies. He also still hasn't realized that things like passionfruit iced tea, weird club sandwiches and fingerprinting coaches are primarily LA things and the rest of the world isn't like that, but LA is where he lives and therefore its the entire planet. I think Adam is a pretty smart person generally but that's the most basic, primitive mindset you can have.