Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice
I'm in the middle of making a tree of origami cranes for my sisters wedding and was wondering what the best solution is to stop the degradation of the paper over time. Is there any sort of spray lacquer or varnish you could recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Image transfer question here. I have a lot of printouts of stained glass. I want to overlay these on an existing print (don't worry, it's just print from Ross) in a way so that the colors are actually transparent, as if there was a stained glass overlay. Doesn't have to be perfect.

So far I have tried acrylic matte medium on a printout doused in paint thinner, and it kind of worked, but looked really spotty. Anyone have experience with this? The existing print is sealed so the paint thinner doesn't affect it at all (not that I would care, since I'm going for a destruction theme anyway.) I want to try straight acetone as my paint thinner is mineral spirits.

Finally, when I finally achieve a transfer to my standards, I would like to seal the toner onto the print. My experience with sealant has been lovely and never worked, so I want to see if there's a goon artist recommendation.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Years ago, there was a terrific website for making collaborative Exquisite Corpse drawings -- you would get assigned a tile with hints from the borders, and had to draw in the rest. The general skill level of the userbase was quite good, and the site had a lot of options like themed drawings and private (invite-only) projects.

I assume this site has probably been lost to time (it was around a decade ago when I used it), though if anyone knows the site I'm talking about, that would be amazing.

Even if it's gone, does anybody know of any other comparable sites, either something nicely featured with invite-only drawings, or an open source web app that I could install myself? (I seem to remember the site I used back in the day had downloadable source code). I've done a fair bit of searching, and the one or two sites I've found aren't very good.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

I'm about to take a job for a client formatting a Kindle E-Book. Never done this before, but I'm a loving HTML wizard.

It's all just XHTML and CSS, right? Are there any quirks or weird things to worry about?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I've been trying to get into digital drawing for a while now, but I just can't get into a good position at my desk to draw properly on a tablet. The key problem here is that my computer desk is pretty high off the ground and my chair doesn't go far up enough to where my elbow is comfortably above the desktop level. I've heard that some artists have stands that they can attach to a desk that puts the tablet at an angle. Is that a thing I could buy or make myself, and are there other ways I could fix this issue?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
An angled keyboard stand would probably work just as well.

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.

vas0line posted:

I'm about to take a job for a client formatting a Kindle E-Book. Never done this before, but I'm a loving HTML wizard.

It's all just XHTML and CSS, right? Are there any quirks or weird things to worry about?

With .AZW files, it is basically just gimped XHTML & CSS you have access to - allowed tags and attributes are here (PDF). You need to make sure you fill in all the metadata in an .opf file as well - so as well as title etc., you'll link in CSS etc. Note that if you know it's going to be exclusively for newer readers (Fire), you've potentially got .KF8 files instead of .AZW, with HTML5 and CSS3 (list here). Bear in mind that as little formatting as possible is a good thing, I found that leaving most things to the device itself === happier readers.

Easiest thing is to use a template: I used this for the last batch I did (and it was great), but it's likely overkill, and you'll need to work off the terminal, which may or may not be something you want to do. this is also good, much simpler, just basic structure, with an.opf file set up + your basic basic CSS file.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've got a question about framing art. I've got some inexpensive ($30-$40 a piece) art prints that I want framed. I've got 8 of them, and they're 11x17. Half of them are line drawings (like this) and the other half are much more colorful (can't remember the artist to look him up as I'm at work right now).

I'm wondering mostly about matting, both aesthetically and otherwise. I was thinking black frames for all. For the line drawings black matting as well I would think. The others I'm not sure. The paintings that the prints are derived from don't fit neatly on 11x17 so there's a lot of white border on those. So maybe white matting would blend in with the white on the print? Or should I try and pick out a color in the piece to match the matting?

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

So my wife made some pretty neat truffala trees from the Lorax stories for our daughters room, now I just have to figure out how to mount them.

They are made from a 2 inch think foam tube with a slit that goes down the back side but only cuts through 1/2 the material of the foam tube. I figured I would run a length of wire hanger through the top side of the trees so they can hang out from the wall and still have stability too, just need to figure out how to mount them to the wall. I was thinking something along the lines of command strips but not sure how well they would hold onto the tube, not sure a hook would work too, would be worried about it tearing through the material. Any hints at all from anybody?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Is it meant to be flexible? Those are pipe insulators she's used for the trunk, so if that's allowed to be solid, just get the corresponding pipe size to put in there and stiffen it up.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

She meant for the trees to mount to the wall while having maybe the top 1/4th come out over the wall to give it a more of a pop out at you look. Finding the tubes that go inside of might work for mounting purposes, I might just have to wander around Lowed until I find something that might work.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
They're traditionally used for copper pipes, and that looks to me like a cover for a 1/2" pipe. You should be able to find PVC pipe in that size, though I don't know if that will give it the flex you're looking for.

Crazy thought, taking advantage of the fact that these are meant to be slipped over already installed pipes, and also assuming the slit is in the "back" of the piece. mount a pipe to the wall with a barrier between the wall and the pipe so there's room for insulation between the wall and the pipe, then just slide the whole thing over the pipe (though that would require cutting the yellow tape for installation). If you want the top 1/4 to move a little bit, just leave no pipe there and find something a little more flexible so the whole thing doesn't just flop over on itself.

Attack!
Jul 16, 2013
I've been drawing and painting "seriously" since high school, but art has been on the side for me since I started college. I graduated a few months ago with a degree in English, and now I'm looking at a period of a little over a year of corrective orthopedic surgeries, where I will not be working.

I'm intending to use this time to propel my art from hobby to entry-level illustrator, in the direction of concept art.

Does anybody know of a good book or site to get started on the technical and business details of this subject, especially technical?

I've made lots of finished paintings and physical media, but almost everything is representational, and I've spent the last few weeks focusing on anatomy ("Dynamic Anatomy," Burne Hogarth) and taking a glance at my perspective book ("Perspective," Gwen White).

I've never completed a work in Photoshop and have almost zero experience with it beyond some simple painting in PS Elements, and I'd like to know more about the process of commission to finished work in the illustration business, such as the scale a comic illustrator works at before it's shrunk for publication or the dpi of a Photoshop painting.

The "Business of Art" thread and the video "gently caress you, pay me" is pretty much the only concrete business knowledge I have on the subject (not a terrible place to start) and I'm continuing to read the business thread.

I'm sorry this is so longwinded and broad, but I didn't feel like it required its own thread, and if someone could answer one or two of these questions or direct me to a better place to ask it I'd appreciate it.

Attack! fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 6, 2013

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.
For business side/building it into a job, this is very good: How to be an Illustrator. Some technical info as well. For more specifics re expected specs, you need to [surprisingly] be more specific.

On the technique side, again you'll get better recommendations if you're specific about what you want to improve. Any good book on art techniques is entirely applicable to drawing using a tablet. Just in general (for free), as good as anything you could possibly buy:
- for natural forms (landscape, flora etc), all 5 volumes of Ruskin's Modern Painters are better than good, 4 are on Gutenberg, the other one was digitized by a university, and is floating round in various forms.
- for commercial figure illustration, some goon put up all of the Andrew Loomis books, they're great.
- http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=94571

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
I bought a nylon flag to hang up in my room but it has a bunch of creases, as it had been folded up for shipping purposes. What's the best way to get rid of these creases?

Attack!
Jul 16, 2013

RobertKerans posted:

For business side/building it into a job, this is very good: How to be an Illustrator. Some technical info as well. For more specifics re expected specs, you need to [surprisingly] be more specific.

On the technique side, again you'll get better recommendations if you're specific about what you want to improve. Any good book on art techniques is entirely applicable to drawing using a tablet. Just in general (for free), as good as anything you could possibly buy:
- for natural forms (landscape, flora etc), all 5 volumes of Ruskin's Modern Painters are better than good, 4 are on Gutenberg, the other one was digitized by a university, and is floating round in various forms.
- for commercial figure illustration, some goon put up all of the Andrew Loomis books, they're great.
- http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=94571

Thanks for the good info, I bought "How to be an Illustrator" yesterday. I've actually already downloaded all of Loomis' books already, and printed out his Figure Drawing book. As great as an artist as Loomis' is, Dynamic Anatomy is much easier to follow for me, even if it's probably not as anatomically accurate as Loomis.

As for being more specific, I'm trying to end the year and change with decent all-around skills and skills in sequential art in the vein of popular comic books and graphic novels, but I think my ultimate long-term goal would be concept artist for film and games. Going by the 10,000 hour rule, my starting point is about 2000 hours or more, and I'd like to end the downtime with 3500-4000 hours.

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?
I'm taking an intermediate painting class at my community college this semester, but I've run into a bit of a problem. Most everyone else did oil painting in painting 1, but my teacher used acrylics. I used oils all of once in high school, in like 2005, and it was high school so I didn't have to buy my own supplies. Now I'm completely lost. My prof gave me the list he gives his painting 1 students, but it's still really vague. When I used acrylics we had to buy heavy body artist grade because the student grade were crap and way too thin. Are there any student grade oil paints that are any good? I see so many mixed reviews, or reviews from people who have never painted before that it's hard to tell. What about mediums? Do I want a fast-drying one like liquin, or something slower like walnut oil? (For what it's worth, I hate how quickly acrylics dry, even with retarders added, but I doubt oils would dry fast enough to not be workable by the end of my 4 hour class. I have no idea how quickly they dry with things like liquin, though.) What's "dymar varnish," and how do I use it? I am completely overwhelmed.

I also have a disposable paper palette from my acrylics. Would that even be usable with oils?

Attack!
Jul 16, 2013
I've only oil-painted twice, so take what I say with a few grains of salt.

I've heard Winsor and Newton student oil paints are pretty good, and I've used off-brand with W and A without any trouble as well.

Oils take about 2 or 3 days before they're a little bit harder to work with, with no additional additives.

I used wax-covered disposable paper palettes and they worked fine, and were more convenient for me than a wooden palette.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

This question is probably a bit unusual, and relates to CAD, so I don't know if this is exactly the right place, but anyway...

Some of you might know I run a very well known blog about the conflict in Syria, and for the past couple of weeks I've been writing about the munition linked to the alleged chemical attacks in Damascus on August 21st. I now have a bunch of activists in Damascus who have been taking photographs and measurements of the munition, which I've been posting on my blog, but since it's partly destroyed piecing it together and figuring out how it functions has been a bit tricky.

I've now had the idea to use CAD to recreate the munition as a 3D model, then piece it together. I can get as many measurements and reference images as needed, but does that sound like a reasonable thing to be done? I've collected various images of it here, to give you an idea about what I'm talking about.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Has anyone tried Black Ink? It's a new digital painting program, still in beta but available on Steam at a discount. I'm tempted, but I'm not really experienced enough with digital media tools to be able to work out from its feature list if it's actually worthwhile or pure gimick.

They do have a demo which I'm going to try, but I guess I'd just like some other people's opinions too. http://blackink.bleank.com/

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Brown Moses posted:

This question is probably a bit unusual, and relates to CAD, so I don't know if this is exactly the right place, but anyway...

Some of you might know I run a very well known blog about the conflict in Syria, and for the past couple of weeks I've been writing about the munition linked to the alleged chemical attacks in Damascus on August 21st. I now have a bunch of activists in Damascus who have been taking photographs and measurements of the munition, which I've been posting on my blog, but since it's partly destroyed piecing it together and figuring out how it functions has been a bit tricky.

I've now had the idea to use CAD to recreate the munition as a 3D model, then piece it together. I can get as many measurements and reference images as needed, but does that sound like a reasonable thing to be done? I've collected various images of it here, to give you an idea about what I'm talking about.

I can't speak to CAD specifically -- just 3d programs in general -- but it's not a crazy idea. It looks like you've got enough good views of the finned vehicle for a good recreation (may just need more reference measurements, depending on how to-scale you want to be). The other piece (the first one with the soda bottle) may be trickier since they're so deformed, unless it's just the top part of the vehicle in the first few pictures. If you go through with it you might want to try to get some more technical views of it (front, side, back, etc) to get a sense of the contours; short of that, just get your hands on everything you can.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

dupersaurus posted:

I can't speak to CAD specifically -- just 3d programs in general -- but it's not a crazy idea. It looks like you've got enough good views of the finned vehicle for a good recreation (may just need more reference measurements, depending on how to-scale you want to be). The other piece (the first one with the soda bottle) may be trickier since they're so deformed, unless it's just the top part of the vehicle in the first few pictures. If you go through with it you might want to try to get some more technical views of it (front, side, back, etc) to get a sense of the contours; short of that, just get your hands on everything you can.

I should be able to get close ups and measurements of every part of it, so I'll know the exact thickness of the metal at different points, the size of bolts, etc etc. One key missing part is the detonator and dispersal charge (for obvious reason), so a detailed model might help us figure out exactly what it would have looked like.

Peridot
Mar 3, 2010

Try Sketchup Pro if you have no previous experience, its a really useful program for quickly laying down dimensions, and manipulating small groups, without the weight of learning a cad package. Simple to output to eps or similar formats too, for an edit in say Illustrator, which could be used an overlay on your current photo library.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

pandaK posted:

I've been trying to get into digital drawing for a while now, but I just can't get into a good position at my desk to draw properly on a tablet. The key problem here is that my computer desk is pretty high off the ground and my chair doesn't go far up enough to where my elbow is comfortably above the desktop level. I've heard that some artists have stands that they can attach to a desk that puts the tablet at an angle. Is that a thing I could buy or make myself, and are there other ways I could fix this issue?

tarepanda posted:

An angled keyboard stand would probably work just as well.

So I've decided to buy this laptop stand ( http://www.amazon.com/Rolodex-82410-Laptop-Stand/dp/B000JE7CMG/ ) to solve my problems, though I thought I'd come back here to ask for any final opinions. Anything better I could buy for roughly the same cost?

E: Cheapest one I could find online

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 16, 2013

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
What would be the best program for home video editing? Looking to be able to cut a video up into different sections and rearrange those sections. Add voice over to the video and create slide shows with voice over. I am a complete beginner when it comes to video editing.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Fozzy The Bear posted:

What would be the best program for home video editing? Looking to be able to cut a video up into different sections and rearrange those sections. Add voice over to the video and create slide shows with voice over. I am a complete beginner when it comes to video editing.

What OS?

OSX: imovie (I'm a pro video editor and so never use this. I use FCP 7 & Avid)

PC: Have a look here - lot of free options to try.

I would suggest going for Lightworks as it has a timeline most similar to pro editing programs. For what you want to do I think getting your head around a timeline will be best for you.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

edit: moved this question to Cave of COBOL

clusterfuck fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Sep 26, 2013

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

I'm putting together a series and uploaded an intro just to see how everything would look and I have a small issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmoYXVrilhc

I shot my video in 720p and didn't change any resolution setting during editing, rendering, or encoding so why isn't the video scaling to the player correctly?

Any other directing advice is welcome too.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
If anyone here is familiar with Turn based Strategy map creation (Fire emblem especially) I'd love any input or tips on the creation of them from scratch.

This was my first serious attempt at creating one totally from scratch. I just brainstormed and filled in the cells on a piece of graph paper for where I wanted there to be walls/barriers/etc and just scribbled little letters representing where enemies would be or spawn.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 27, 2013

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Is there a thread for livestreaming videogame broadcasterin?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Is there a thread anywhere for promoting showings/exhibitions? I've got one coming up and I want to pimp it out but I don't want to start a new thread or poo poo up an inappropriate thread. Also, has anyone heard of the RAW Artists group (http://rawartists.org/)? They're the group I'm setting up my exhibition with and they seem like a pretty useful resource for up-and-coming artists. Are they something I should post about in the "Useful Resources" thread?

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Baloogan posted:

Is there a thread for livestreaming videogame broadcasterin?

Check the Let's Play subforum.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Maybe you guys can point me in the right direction.

I have an LP going and I'm trying to have a sleek "VS" screen going before every battle. I think my attempt is pretty crap, but it does the job at the moment. I was hoping someone might have some tips for me, or references I can use or a thread I can visit.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
Well, what you're looking for is graphic design. Maybe offer someone a couple bucks to make a template for you.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Yip Yips posted:

Well, what you're looking for is graphic design. Maybe offer someone a couple bucks to make a template for you.

drat, I was hoping there was a basic how-to somewhere.

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011
Where are video layers in photoshop cs6? In 5.5 it was something like "layer > new video layer". Now there doesn't appear to be one.

Google says layer > video layers > create video layer or something like that, but my layer dropdown doesn't have a video layer option. Do I have the poo poo version or something? gently caress.

raging bullwinkle fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Oct 3, 2013

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
That's where it is for me. About halfway down, between Smart Objects and Rasterize. CS6.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Mercedes posted:

drat, I was hoping there was a basic how-to somewhere.

What program are you using?

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

NESguerilla posted:

What program are you using?

photoshop cs6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
I've been looking through the Astronomy Pictures of 2013, and I liked this one especially: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8332/8426379653_8d3139becc_o.png

I plan to crop the frame and then expand it to 2560x1440 with that new space smoothly transitioning to black. The last image editor I used was IllustratorCS2, but all I have now is GIMP. How might I go about this and make it look nice? Daddy needs a new background/poster.