Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

vyshka posted:

So World in Flames will be initially shipping without AI and without pbem support?

Enjoy paying 60+ bucks for a rules-enabled vassal module.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kickass Harpsichord
Dec 3, 2009

Thanks! I think the LTTE speedboats were even smaller than this but this should be able to simulate at least some of the actions in that war. I'm pretty excited about this now! :)

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

Kickass Harpsichord posted:

Thanks! I think the LTTE speedboats were even smaller than this but this should be able to simulate at least some of the actions in that war. I'm pretty excited about this now! :)

This makes me want to set up a scenario with some Strait of Hormuz fun and games.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Oh god that Pricing thread on Matrix just keeps on getting worse and worse (and I keep going back to it :negative).

How's that Decisive Campaigns game going? Who wants to start another one?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Count me in for Decisive Campaigns, game still rules. It's funny how I've run Case White at least a dozen times now (including that disastrous first game where I attacked right into the Mlowa forts), but the HOI3 version still feels like way too much work to make sense of.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Count me in for Decisive Campaigns, game still rules. It's funny how I've run Case White at least a dozen times now (including that disastrous first game where I attacked right into the Mlowa forts), but the HOI3 version still feels like way too much work to make sense of.

I think it's the real time nature. I'm fine right up until war starts and zillions of units are moving and air units are flashing around etc. You can technically pause, but there are so many things going on simultaneously that it's hard to keep track of, even paused. It's nothing like the nice, discrete nature of a turn based game, where you can think about each move separately.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Fintilgin posted:

I think it's the real time nature. I'm fine right up until war starts and zillions of units are moving and air units are flashing around etc. You can technically pause, but there are so many things going on simultaneously that it's hard to keep track of, even paused. It's nothing like the nice, discrete nature of a turn based game, where you can think about each move separately.

It also just isn't really worth it. I can manually invade Poland and take it apart in something like 2 weeks, whereas the AI will take a month or two maybe. I can invade France and force a capitulation in something like a month IIRC, whereas the AI might even get stuck in a stalemate. And then you try Barbarossa and you just have to hand off control to the AI and then you aren't really playing the game anymore.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Strategic Command: European Theater and Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord are currently on sale at GoG. Are they still good, or are they too dated?

Quixzlizx fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 30, 2013

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Alchenar posted:

Oh god that Pricing thread on Matrix just keeps on getting worse and worse (and I keep going back to it :negative:).

How bad are we talking here? "We all sound like the whiny 14-year-olds on the games we despise" bad?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
People will say that the newer Combat Missions are better because they model individual soldiers and (some aspects of the) UI is better and weapons are more realistic (particularly with regards to machine guns) but I still really like CMBO because its random mission generator is still truly random, you get the whole West Front 44-45 without having to split it up between multiple games, and it's really really cheap. The only other Combat Missions I've bought are Barbarossa to Berlin and Afrika Korps and don't really feel like I'm missing out despite the graphics. There's a lot of narrative to cover whether you're simulating paratroopers, regular Army, offense/defense and everything in between.

Strategic Command is about the same: Extremely cheap relative to Battlefront's later offerings, very "beer and pretzels" playable, with a scope that hasn't really been done since the original Clash of Steel, and uses hexes unlike SC2+. Like CMBO, no windowed mode and 90s resolution makes it a no-alt-tabbing commitment, but the games are light and immersive enough (for me anyway) that I still consider them very good.

They're also really light on the requirements, which is perfect for a laptop.

Davin Valkri posted:

How bad are we talking here? "We all sound like the whiny 14-year-olds on the games we despise" bad?

I want to mine the Matrix forums for gamers.txt, but I already touched the poop :(

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

People will say that the newer Combat Missions are better because they model individual soldiers and (some aspects of the) UI is better and weapons are more realistic (particularly with regards to machine guns) but I still really like CMBO because its random mission generator is still truly random, you get the whole West Front 44-45 without having to split it up between multiple games, and it's really really cheap. The only other Combat Missions I've bought are Barbarossa to Berlin and Afrika Korps and don't really feel like I'm missing out despite the graphics. There's a lot of narrative to cover whether you're simulating paratroopers, regular Army, offense/defense and everything in between.

Strategic Command is about the same: Extremely cheap relative to Battlefront's later offerings, very "beer and pretzels" playable, with a scope that hasn't really been done since the original Clash of Steel, and uses hexes unlike SC2+. Like CMBO, no windowed mode and 90s resolution makes it a no-alt-tabbing commitment, but the games are light and immersive enough (for me anyway) that I still consider them very good.

I want to mine the Matrix forums for gamers.txt, but I already touched the poop :(

Thanks for the detailed writeup. I think I'll get them both, although the lack of windowed mode really sucks.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Quixzlizx posted:

Thanks for the detailed writeup. I think I'll get them both, although the lack of windowed mode really sucks.

I run all these old 90s-early 00's games in a Windows XP virtual machine so I can make the window whatever size I want. :ssh:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

uPen posted:

I run all these old 90s-early 00's games in a Windows XP virtual machine so I can make the window whatever size I want. :ssh:

How do you that and what are the requirements? Sounds like a great way to work around the problem (although I doubt my machine is beefy enough)

vyshka
Aug 10, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

How do you that and what are the requirements? Sounds like a great way to work around the problem (although I doubt my machine is beefy enough)

It looks like virtual box has some support for directx 9 and opengl according to wikipedia. If I can find an old xp install disc I might give that a try.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

gradenko_2000 posted:

I just run them in vmware's free edition. That said I haven't tried it with a game that runs in 3D like that combat mission game so ymmv.

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.
I bought War Plan Pacific based on the recommendations in this thread and it is good fun.

The problem is, I can't get any of the fanmade scenarios to work. I downloaded them and copied them into the Scenarios folder and . . . nothing. They don't even show up in the menu for scenarios in the game. I did what the manual and online instructions told me (I think), but no dice. I can't figure out why.

Help?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

uPen posted:

I just run them in vmware's free edition. That said I haven't tried it with a game that runs in 3D like that combat mission game so ymmv.

The only limitation you should run into in most cases with virtualizing XP is memory allocation. Some VM's, especially free ones, don't allow you to allocate over 2 GB of RAM to the virtual machine. For older grog games, that's not really a big deal. For some of the more memory intensive 3D stuff, it might be a bit more of a problem. For everything else, you can pretty much just directly pass through access to your hardware (except for hard drives obviously) so as long as there are XP compatible drivers for whatever you're running it should be fine.

All that said, I don't use VMs for gaming so most of the above is just experience I have working with VMs at work.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Are there any other wargames that operate on the same scale as Command? Low enough that you're commanding individual units and setting specific missions but high enough that you're not having to make continuous tactical decisions for them.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
In a grand campaign in War in the East is losing two panzer divisions by turn 8 par for PBEM because :suicide:

Does playing German vs Russian AI help make one less bad at it or is there another way? I've kept up with the uPen and Grey Hunter let's plays and I'm garbage.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think that's pretty bad for the Germans, but then you also have to accept that short of completely gutting Russia by 1941, you're bound to lose anyway. I think it all comes down to practice - the AAR wunderkins that can capture Tambov, Stalingrad and points east within the first year all have dozens of games under their belt, even if most of them never go farther than 1942. Playing the AI to practice those critical first turns over and over should help.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

gradenko_2000 posted:

CM:BB and CM:AK have pretty good machine gun modeling. CM:BO is the only one with the really underpowered MGs and overly mobile infantry. I think CM:BB is pretty far and away the best in the series, certainly of the first generation.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
BO Upgraded their machine guns in a patch. German infantry became really quite scary due to the MG42s.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

CMBB is one of my favorite games ever. T-26 versus Pz38 forever.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Baloogan posted:

BO Upgraded their machine guns in a patch. German infantry became really quite scary due to the MG42s.

Did it change the infantry suppression model? The problem wasn't the damage being dealt out by MGs, it was just that infantry didn't really give a gently caress until they got close enough to actually be taking more than one or two casualties. MG fire at 500 yards shouldn't kill many people, but it should make guys hug dirt and be apprehensive about moving when targeted. CM:BO didn't have the suppression effect right and CM:BB and CM:AK did, is my recollection.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
What it did was increase the accuracy of MGs. So at 500 yards infantry get suppressed more just because more bullets hit near their targets.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Jakse posted:

In a grand campaign in War in the East is losing two panzer divisions by turn 8 par for PBEM because :suicide:

Does playing German vs Russian AI help make one less bad at it or is there another way? I've kept up with the uPen and Grey Hunter let's plays and I'm garbage.

Hey now don't get discouraged. You just gotta stop throwing your panzer divisions at my defensive line when they have no gas. You gotta a lot of really really good infantry that you can make holes with. You should pull your tanks back and let them refit and refuel and then makes holes with your infantry and punch your tanks through to my rear. Maybe you could post some screen shots in here of your next turn and ask for some advice.

Also give the War in the East forum on Matrix Games a read, alot of good advice in there. And read the German Section of this PDF. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1180829/GWITE.bestof.V3.pdf

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
:911: Tom Clancy died today :911:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Going to do a live stream of Command gameplay at 5:00pm PDT. Website: http://baloogancampaign.com/

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Baloogan posted:

:911: Tom Clancy died today :911:

A day after Obamacare went online? If that isn't a plot of a book worthy of his name, I don't know what is. "Communists have infiltrated the US government on all levels and are implementing Communism right under the noses of the American people...and only an overweight conservative book author can stop them."

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

ArchangeI posted:

A day after Obamacare went online? If that isn't a plot of a book worthy of his name, I don't know what is. "Communists have infiltrated the US government on all levels and are implementing Communism right under the noses of the American people...and only an overweight conservative book author can stop them."

Can our intrepid hero Save America with nothing but his love of Freedom and his massive, overwhelming, technological superiority? :ohdear:

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

Baloogan posted:

We're talking about the original right? Not Normandy? Because Normandy recently got that MG patch.

E: or was that FI?

Dirt Worshipper fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 3, 2013

Kickass Harpsichord
Dec 3, 2009

Dirt Worshipper posted:

We're talking about the original right? Not Normandy? Because Normandy recently got that MG patch.

E: or was that FI?

I can't speak for whether or not CMBO got an MG patch, but CMBN did recently get an MG patch. IIRC, the patch implemented the changes that were first introduced to MGs in the CMFI base game. Not 100% sure about that last part but I think that's what happened.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Baloogan posted:

Going to do a live stream of Command gameplay at 5:00pm PDT. Website: http://baloogancampaign.com/

Watched the whole thing, was pretty entertaining.

Those poor pigeons and TLAMs :911:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Cheers!

Yeah, I wasn't expecting to lose those reapers; or any F-16Cs. :( I'm worried that I might not have enough force at Baghram to even attempt a strike with my A-10s with laser guided bombs.

I have no clue what I did to piss off the Iranians. Well, after about 20 Tomahawks they are now EXTRA pissed off.

The F-22s are 120nm from the Pakistani coast, my B-2s & and B-52s are about 18 hours away from being ready to take off with their load of decoys, stand off bunker busters and cluster/JDAM bombs. The B-2s are for hunting down TELs (think scuds in the First Gulf War).

As soon as I started losing F-16s I just wanted to HIT THEM HARD so I made a hasty TLAM and Tactical Tomahawk attack without planning it out.

And I've played this one scenario for about 7 hours now! I'm going to FINISH IT!!! I might need to stream more often, I want to cover new things on Saturday.

It was a blast! Thanks for watching!

Episode 3: http://baloogancampaign.com/2013/10/03/episode-3-part-1/

Baloogan fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Oct 3, 2013

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Does Command have/plan for MP? Sounds like it could be interesting unless it's just too much too fast.

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.
The new Unity of Command DLC is in beta, looking for beta testers. Apply here: http://unityofcommand.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2047

The name "Black Turn" is kind of unfortunate, but, hey, it's the opportunity to stomp around Russia in Operation Barbarossa, what's not to love?

PS I'm still hoping one of the War Plan Pacific players can answer my questions re: new scenarios, please. I've just about milked every ounce of replay value out of the three default scenarios.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

PS I'm still hoping one of the War Plan Pacific players can answer my questions re: new scenarios, please. I've just about milked every ounce of replay value out of the three default scenarios.

Can I ask for a trip report/screenshots on War Plan Pacific? I've long been eyeing it, but the inability to run the demo on Win7 turned me off. It's possible that the full game does, but I want to see what it's like regardless.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Tim Stone's review of Command is up, and it's surprisingly negative. A good read for everyone as poor as I am.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Lichtenstein posted:

Tim Stone's review of Command is up, and it's surprisingly negative. A good read for everyone as poor as I am.

Yeah that's put me solidly into the 'check back in 6 months' camp. I do hope they genuinely take this to heart and direct their efforts into fixing the UI, rather than MOAR REALISM with regards to unit specifications as grognards will demand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lichtenstein posted:

Another 'negative review' was shutdown on matrix after being posted. Erik actually called it 'review malfeasance'(wtf!) before he edited his post. Let's see how long this crit lasts.