Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
and then maybe you have a version that doesn't take asses so it's just initWithButts: butts

basically objc method invocations own and if you don't think so you probably enjoy figuring out what the "false" in findInArray(arr, key, false); means

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

the method names are one of the best things about objc. i just think objc is a good language tbh. it has enough dynamism to be interesting/let you do interesting things but not so dynamic that every variable lookup references multiple hash tables

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

objc method names are loving great and if you dont like them you are a literal retard because they are explicit as gently caress and xcode does all of the autocomplete for you when you type them. i wish i had a reason to write it but i really dont have any app ideas/dont care enough.

id like to get away from ruby for a bit, at least considering its most of what i use in the day-to-day. the idea of doing some low level arduino type poo poo has always seemed neat but i never really knew what id do or make. all i know is that i loving hate frontend so much (not so much design as much as implementation) so i should probably run in the opposite direction.

gonna take a note out of the tef playbook and read the entirety of parse.y

double sulk fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 1, 2013

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

gucci void main posted:

objc method names are loving great and if you dont like them you are a literal retard because they are explicit as gently caress and xcode does all of the autocomplete for you when you type them. i wish i had a reason to write it but i really dont have any app ideas/dont care enough.

id like to get away from ruby for a bit, at least considering its most of what i use in the day-to-day. the idea of doing some low level arduino type poo poo has always seemed neat but i never really knew what id do or make. all i know is that i loving hate frontend so much (not so much design as much as implementation) so i should probably run in the opposite direction.

buy a cheap lil guy from https://www.pololu.com . Make sure it has at least two motors+wheels and two light sensors. these can sense intensity or color or whatever you feel like.

you know have the ability to make an entire class of simple robots, used often in beginner thought experiments about emergent behavior! the typical way to do them is to make each wheel motor's speed be a linear combination of the values of the two sensors. a simple one is obv to make the right wheel's speed depend on the left sensor's value and vice versa: now you have a line following robot!

this crazy simple programming ends up with fun and cool looking lil botty-boos. and it's a good learning experience if you pick the right things to do with it:

-those sensors should be analog. now you gotta learn how to use the chips onboard adc.
-those motors need drivin'! you bought motor drivers but they still need to be pwm'd if you want anything beyond pure on/off functionality. now you get to play with your chips timer modules and waveform generation.
-you probably don't want to always be checking this bullshit so you want to only update things periodically. now you get to play with interrupts

meanwhile, you're learning the pain in dick+balls that is making interconnected systems in c. oh you want 'syntactic sugar' and 'automatic name mangling'? go suck a dick, lil plang bitch.

goes without saying that if you want to actually learn something then work in c, rather than the arduino ide. if you want to get something to work, by all means use arduino though

e: agh jesus those stupid lil robots have a drat name and i am forgetting them

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

writing some c or whatever aint a big deal. the lil mouse one seems cool cause then i can make the cats chase it. are there any micros that work well with nfc/bluetooth? maybe something i could do with that

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Phobeste posted:

goes without saying that if you want to actually learn something then work in c, rather than the arduino ide. if you want to get something to work, by all means use arduino though

e: agh jesus those stupid lil robots have a drat name and i am forgetting them

arduino is C++ in disguise so u can have all of your bespoke name mangling and poo poo as long as avr-gcc or w/e can handle it

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

gucci void main posted:

read a book on parsers or compilers in general first, so you at least know what they're supposed to look like

hell, write your own simple one

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Malcolm XML posted:

arduino is C++ in disguise
"ok guys our goal is to make microcontrollers accessible to beginners and non-programmers, we need a simple and safe programming language"
"i got this, we'll use C++"

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

i did this it was pretty interesting.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Write_Yourself_a_Scheme_in_48_Hours

i dunno if its telling you actually decent ideas or code tho

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

gucci void main posted:

Java method names are loving great and if you dont like them you are a literal retard because they are explicit as gently caress and eclipse does all of the autocomplete for you when you type them.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Don't quote sulk

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
shamezone

http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/104248/what-is-the-most-bizarre-thing-you-have-seen-done-with-tex/104427#104427

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

lolllll

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

least he didn't lug the laser printer over to her house i guess???

actually that seems even more shameful, nevermind

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
my brain and eyes like objective c syntax my fingers do not

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
they would if you had robot fingers

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

lmao

but then this

quote:

Well, I actually once met a nice girl because she needed help formatting her thesis and was told I was a "TeX expert". She's now my wife, and we had our first child 6 months ago :)

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
heh i guess he got LaTeXed

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
they call me the TeXpert

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

they call me the TeXpert

no it's pronounced tech-purt, not tex-pert. have you even used TeX before? *snorts, pushes glasses up nose*

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
sTeX me

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Nomnom Cookie posted:

no it's pronounced tech-purt, not tex-pert. have you even used TeX before? *snorts, pushes glasses up nose*

yes i printed TeXpert on my business card (with the correct super- and sub-scripts of course) specifically to have this conversation as often as possible

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

thats he only latex his body came in contact with all of college

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

hey man it was the 80s, aids didn't exist

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

git clone trooper posted:

hey man it was the 80s, aids didn't exist

it did if you were gay

Rip Frankie Mercury

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007
i posted here about being a tterrible programmer

i got a job offer from amazon

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007
read more yospos kids

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

General Olloth posted:

i posted here about being a tterrible programmer

i got a job offer from amazon

nice, say hello to greg for me

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
i moved my dumb little webservice to dropwizard today and it kinda owns. automatically includes the stuff i was going to add, and runs without a seperate servlet container. dunno if self-hosted jetty is as fast as tomcat but probably doesn't matter. worst part is the yaml though

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
posting again. i undropwizarded the project because dropwizard orm is poo poo. mavenized the entire thing and oh my god maven owns. added an interceptor to gzip responses and oh my god jax-rs owns

maven owns
java owns
i am become shaggar, destroyer of permgen

Hellsworn Barn
Apr 11, 2008

hi
webservices are bad

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Posting Principle posted:

maven owns
java owns

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

springsource sends you a lapel pin if you manage to get 10,000 proxies in one classloader

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
[quote="Posting Principle" post=""420137856"]
maven owns
java owns
[/quote]

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Nomnom Cookie posted:

springsource sends you a lapel pin if you manage to get 10,000 proxies in one classloader

this scares me
how did you find this out

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
just by the by permgen is going away in java 8

jrockit never had any permgen and that finally got ported to the sun jdk

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

normally java 8 will create class objects in the old gen, however if cglib is on the classpath it creates then in eden

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

funny internet comic for terrible programmers

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Symbolic Butt posted:

funny internet comic for terrible programmers

i moused over it but there was no alt text

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU