Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

CatchrNdRy posted:

Tucson, like the ubiquitous Peruvian Hyundai Tucson.
I do recall your posts in the Arizona thread, let me welcome you to a city that is Latin American not only in language and culture, but in road infrastructure and income disparity! And kilometers!

I am excited to move there, Catcher.

quote:

Lima and Miraflores was fine, but as you said reminded me of any "Western" downtown as opposed to something unique.

Yeah, I stayed at the Condor's House, which was OK but a business. Walked around Miraflores to kill time.

Heading to Puno soon, to the lake, Bolivia, and Argentina. I will cut the trip short, though. i want to get back to the US to take care of things.

Keep us posted on more places you visit in Peru.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
In December I'll be spending about a month in Panama, or at least that's where the flight I just booked takes me (excellent deal on miles). Two questions:

1. Reading back a few pages people seem not to enthusiastic about Panama, would flying on to Costa Rica or Colombia be a better idea? Because it's fairly short I'd like to limit travelling around somewhat.

2. I'd like to have some purpose to my trip, I already know Portuguese so was thinking to do a 2 week Spanish course while there. Preferrably in a large city with opportunity to get drunk. Any recommendations?

If there's a good place to dive or cycle that would be a big plus. Money's not an issue but I don't need a lot of luxury, especially if it means I don't meet people (travelling solo).

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Positive Optimyst posted:

I am excited to move there, Catcher.

Yeah, I stayed at the Condor's House, which was OK but a business. Walked around Miraflores to kill time.

Heading to Puno soon, to the lake, Bolivia, and Argentina. I will cut the trip short, though. i want to get back to the US to take care of things.

Keep us posted on more places you visit in Peru.

Walking around Miraflores kills a lot of time. I stayed in Dragonfly, which is one of those trying to be hip hostels.

Actually, I already am back. My European friends have like 10 weeks paid vacation or something crazy like that and already moved on to Arequipa. Only did Lima, Huacachina, Cusco (Macchu and Sacred Valley).

Note to future visitors of Peru: I have a mild, but not restrictive fear of heights. I managed the relatively difficult Salkantay Trek, Macchu Picchu and many other random monuments (all which seem to require climbing steep stairs and with some unguarded drop-offs.)

That being said, this is not a country you want to visit if you have anything more than a mild fear of heights. Even some of the hostels had multiple stories without any guard rails on stairs. My palms definitely sweaty and I tensed up more than a few times. Even people who aren't scared of heights have turned away from Wayna Picchu, perhaps the crown jewel of Macchu.

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 6, 2013

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

CatchrNdRy posted:

Walking around Miraflores kills a lot of time. I stayed in Dragonfly, which is one of those trying to be hip hostels.

Actually, I already am back. My European friends have like 10 weeks paid vacation or something crazy like that and already moved on to Arequipa. Only did Lima, Huacachina, Cusco (Macchu and Sacred Valley).

Note to future visitors of Peru: I have a mild, but not restrictive fear of heights. I managed the relatively difficult Salkantay Trek, Macchu Picchu and many other random monuments (all which seem to require climbing steep stairs and with some unguarded drop-offs.)

That being said, this is not a country you want to visit if you have anything more than a mild fear of heights. Even some of the hostels had multiple stories without any guard rails on stairs. My palms definitely sweaty and I tensed up more than a few times. Even people who aren't scared of heights have turned away from Wayna Picchu, perhaps the crown jewel of Macchu.

Well, sounds lie you had a good trip to Peru and with your amigos from Europe.

As for heights I am OK with it - except when I am a passenger in a car/vehicle and there are sheer cliffs of death within feet of the vehicle. One time, I literally jumped out of an SUV. I wan in panic. I never knew I had the fear/phobia. That was 20 years ago.

I have never had an episode since, but I have not been in the situation since.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
My tour group went to get massages and go to the hot springs when we were in Aguas Calientes.

I broke off from them and climbed Putucusi, the mountain across from Machu Picchu. Which included climbing up a 100 ft wooden ladder.

I made sure to take several pictures while on the ladder, including one straight down with my foot in the picture. I love heights and I loved that mountain. You feel like such a badass when you get to the top, with the added bonus seeing Machu Picchu in the foggy distance the night before you go there.

I recommend anyone that's NOT afraid of heights ignores the two fallen trees and the <stay the hell out!!!> Spanish warning sign and take the ~hour and a half climb.

chockomonkey
Oct 14, 2004
Hey I'm exploring the idea of taking a backpacking trip in SA, and have a few basic questions:

1. How much US dollars per day would it typically cost to be in Chile, Brazil, Columbia, Bolivia, and Argentina? Are they pretty similar or do they have vastly different economies?
2. Do all these places have their own currency? How do you typically get it? (ATM?)
3. How do land border crossings work?
4. I've been to SEA and didn't speak a lick of Khmer, Laotian, or Vietnamese; and only a little Thai. Is it similarly easy to get around without knowing the local languages?

I think that's it for now. Thanks for your time!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

1. Chile? Brazil = $35, Colombia = $20, Bolivia = $17, Argentina = $25. If you want to do something like drink or go clubbing you can add on to that base rate. Wildly different economies, and urban vs rural areas will blow your mind.

2. Wildly different economies and currencies. I usually get mine at the airport after I land and exchange in USD.

3. I took a taxi between Argentina and Brazil, it was relatively smooth, maybe 5 minutes through customs, but I already had my Visa. Brazil requires a Visa in advance for Americans, and you have to use it within 90 days of issue to be valid. Once you're in the country, your tourist visa is good for 90 day stays for 5 years. Mine took like 3 weeks to get from the consulate in Houston.

4. I live in Texas so some of the students in high school spoke spanish as their first language, plus I took latin (written language) for four years so I am skewed but generally everyone under the age of 30 grew up watching the simpsons and other american TV shows and if they're middle class probably speak better English than you do Spanish. People were generally happy to help the poor dumb american tourist find where he was going. If you had no trouble in South East Asia you should get along fine in SA. Brazil speaks portuguese, which after three weeks of spanish did not make any sense to me even though they're spelled roughly the same.

Edit: if you go to Brazil and Argentina, make sure you visit Uruguay. That is one chillax country, A+ would visit again. #1 whiskey consumption per capita in the world and recently passed a law decriminalizing various things (for non-tourists). Outside of the main cities it has a very 1960's socal beach vibe to it.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 22, 2013

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

The order from most expensive to least expensive should be Brazil - Chile - Argentina (assuming the unofficial rate, see below) - Colombia - Bolivia.

Getting money from ATM's is generally fine, but in Argentina it's silly because the unofficial street rate is vastly better (50%? even more?) than the official.
Also I had some experiences in Colombia where I simply couldn't get money from ATM's because the machines were either not working properly or I couldn't use them properly. Handled it by switching town.

Of course you get along pretty much everywhere in the world without knowing the local language, as long as you have money and the knowledge how to handle practical things. But whereas in SE Asia it's a given that a white guy won't speak the local language, in Latin America it's bit of a different setting because everyone is kind of sort of expected to speak the local language and it can create some unpleasant situations when you don't.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Hadlock posted:

2. Wildly different economies and currencies. I usually get mine at the airport after I land and exchange in USD.

Don't do this in Argentina, the official exchange rate is terrible.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

It looks like Mexico stuff is going in this thread too, so I figure I'll join in.

I'm headed to Mexico City for the long weekend. I think I have a good agenda (museums, visiting the Zocalo, etc) but I'm looking for recommendations of restaurants/other things to do in Condesa, where I'm staying.

Also, as far as safety goes everything I've heard is that Mexico City's perfectly safe, just take normal big city precautions and avoid hailing taxis off the street. Is that accurate?

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

Don't you know pump it up! YOU'VE GOT TO PUMP IT UP!!!

CancerCakes posted:

I am planning on going to Mexico and Guatamala in October with my girlfriend, starting in Cancun / Playa Del Carmen and ending in Antigua. I am planning on doing some scuba and having a generally relaxing time but is there anything in particular I should know? The weather looks like a bit of a crap shoot, but I don't mind getting wet as long as I don't get blown away!

TheImmigrant posted:

This is a fun trip, one that I've done several times. There are two possible routes: one through Belize, via Playa del Carmen, Tulum, Chetumal, Belize, and Flores/Tikal; the other through Chiapas, via the same beach spots through Chetumal, followed by Palenque, San Cristobal, Xela, Atitlan, and Antigua. The Chiapas route is longer, but much more varied, and you can also choose to turn east at Palenque instead of San Cristobal to see the ruins at Bonampak, Yaxchilan, and Tikal.

Scuba off Playa del Carmen and Cozumel is amazing. Tulum also has some good dive spots. Belize has excellent reefs, but is significantly more expensive and poorer value than Mexico. There are Maya ruins all over the place. I rate them in descending order Tikal > Palenque > Yaxchilan > Uxmal > Bonampak > Coba > Chichen Itza > Ruta Puuc. Calakmul is supposed to be incredible, but I haven't been. It's off the highway from Chetumal to Palenque. Lake Atitlan is a must, particularly if you're looking to chill out for a few days and watch the lake breathe. Antigua is impossibly charming, and very heavily visited by tourists.

Mexico has by far and away the best food, Guatemala the worst. Food in Belize is okay. There's a lot of seafood, as well as Chinese and Indian options.

You will be traveling at peak hurricane season, so be prepared to alter your route away from the Caribbean. Merida is a really nice city, and would be a good place to sit out a hurricane.

I am taking pretty much the same trip as Cancer Cake. Going to travel for 3 weeks - any more ideas than above is more than welcome!

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

I've never really traveled in Latin America outside of the typical resorts, and am trying to size up a few places for a couple weeks (alone) probably around early November. No Spanish, but I've backpacked before in SE Asia without knowing the language and it was a blast.

From reading the thread so far, Costa Rica seems like it may be the best option. I'm a fan of outdoorsy activities like hiking and biking, definitely want to have a beach available, and may even use the opportunity to try scuba diving as I've usually traveled with people uninterested in that. And the description of Puerto Viejo specifically makes it sounds like a pretty good time. From the commentary in this thread, the downside would be the overly touristy focus of the country, but for a short trip, that seems like less of a problem. Costa Rica is pretty derided in this thread for the all the development and expats I suppose, is it really a poor destination?

Splitting time between Medellin/Cartagena, or a trip along the Yucatan south of Cancun also seem like decent secondary options, but is safety as much of an issue as you hear about at times? What the upsides of either of these options be?

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Costa Rica is pretty derided in this thread for the all the development and expats I suppose, is it really a poor destination?

Costa Rica was my least favourite country in Central America. It certainly wasn't 'bad', I just didn't enjoy it as much as any of the other places we visited (Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and Panama). I found it very 'Americanised', and I didn't really like that. If you think you would like that, it might be a great option for you.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I want to visit Costa Rica. How safe is it for blue eyed, blonde hair gringo who speaks no Spanish? Can I rent a car and get around safely from hotel to the beach, jungle preserves? This will be my first trip out of the country, will I need to get vaccinated and if I plan on renting a car an international drivers license? Anything else I should know? thanks

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

r0ck0 posted:

I want to visit Costa Rica. How safe is it for blue eyed, blonde hair gringo who speaks no Spanish? Can I rent a car and get around safely from hotel to the beach, jungle preserves? This will be my first trip out of the country, will I need to get vaccinated and if I plan on renting a car an international drivers license? Anything else I should know? thanks

That's what Costa Rica is filled with so you'll fit right in. I passed through there back in July for 3 weeks and met more gringos, as you put it, than I've met in my last 18 months in Latin America.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Going to Costa Rica next month, could anyone give me some pointers on my packing list? I'm going for a week, will be doing some hiking, some beach stuff, maybe some canoeing.

4 T-Shirts (one longsleeve)
1 Jeans
2 Shorts
1 Cargo Pants
1 Warm Jacket
Hat
Swim Shorts
Hiking Shoes
Vibrams
Rain Poncho

Flashlight
Meds (pepto, Imodium, Deet)
Camera, Batteries

This is about the most adventurous holiday I've ever done so this is probably very very bad.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
I love this thread. I've read about 30 pages so far, and I wanted to jump in with a few questions about a solo 10-day trip to Central or South America that I'm planning for autumn 2014. I would have $2000 minimum for the trip after the plane ticket, although I wouldn't spend more than $3000.

I'm deciding between Peru (ancient monuments, jungle), Ecuador (close to jungle), and Mexico (cheapest flight ticket for me since I live in Texas, scuba diving, ancient monuments).

I'm also deciding about when I would go. I'm told that whale sharks are easiest to see in the summer, but I also really like the idea of visiting Mexico on day of the dead and seeing the traditions and decorations for myself.

I did visit Mexico for a day when I was 10, but it was a town just across the border, and all my mom wanted to do was shop at souvenir stands so we didn't see anything like a museum or nature. It reminded me a lot of Texas. I honestly am considering Peru and Ecuador because I hope those would be more of a culture shock to me, but I'm told that southern Mexico is very, very different than the place I visited, and way different than Texas.

About my travel preferences: I'm born and raised in Texas, I've traveled around the U.S., I've visited northern India and northern Italy.

I love art museums, monuments, nature, animals, scuba diving, and colorful, old religious sites. Some of my favorite memories are walking down the street and taking in how different everything feels than Texas. Not interested in camping, luxury hotels, sports, drinking (since I travel alone), and I'm not much of a foodie. I don't speak much Spanish, but I'm sure I can learn a basic level.

ShaggiusPrime
Aug 30, 2005
Kill my boss, dare I live out the American dream?

legsarerequired posted:

I love art museums, monuments, nature, animals, scuba diving, and colorful, old religious sites. Some of my favorite memories are walking down the street and taking in how different everything feels than Texas. Not interested in camping, luxury hotels, sports, drinking (since I travel alone), and I'm not much of a foodie. I don't speak much Spanish, but I'm sure I can learn a basic level.

I'm currently one month into a 3 month volunteering gig here in Ecuador and I thought I could maybe help you out. First of all, $2000 is a lot of money here in Ecuador, if you don't mind staying in hostels you'll easily stay under budget. Plus staying in hostels is the best way to meet other people if you're going to be traveling alone.

I haven't had much of a chance to explore but I think Quito has a lot of what you're looking for. It has the largest preserved historical district in South America, with lots of beautiful cathedrals and architecture. Plus it has a bit of an other worldly feel being surrounded by snow capped mountains almost exactly at the equator. The down side of Quito (and a lot of SA large cities)is crime, though you should be fine during the day in the tourist friendly areas. Just make sure to take a cab at night.

Ecuador also is quite small, and since you'll only have 10 days, that might help you out, from Quito it's only a 20 minute plane trip either to the jungle to the east or the pacific ocean to the west. That combined with the Andes running down the middle make it 3 very distinct environments all close together. There is also the Galapagos, though I'm not sure you'd have time with only 10 days and from what I've heard it's quite expensive to go there.

Ecuador is really beautiful, cheap and the people tend to be really friendly and laid back. As far as food, it's honestly not very good (a lot of rice and potatoes) but if you're not that concerned about food it shouldn't be too much a problem. Try to learn some basic Spanish as very few people speak English.

Best of luck wherever you decide to travel, and I can try to answer any questions you have. However I've only been to Quito and Otavalo (where I'm living).

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Going to Costa Rica next month, could anyone give me some pointers on my packing list? I'm going for a week, will be doing some hiking, some beach stuff, maybe some canoeing.

4 T-Shirts (one longsleeve)
1 Jeans
2 Shorts
1 Cargo Pants
1 Warm Jacket
Hat
Swim Shorts
Hiking Shoes
Vibrams
Rain Poncho

Flashlight
Meds (pepto, Imodium, Deet)
Camera, Batteries

Grab a synthetic long sleeve shirt from REI, ask for capline or similar, that is the Patagona brand, but REI sells their own brand. In addition to being durable, it's wicking, quick dry, hot in the cold and cool in the warm. I usually pack three of them and then wear t-shirts over top of them, with shorts and a pair of jeans.

Jacket is a well worn polar fleece pullover. It's warm enough to stay warm in a well air conditioned bus, and makes a great pillow. Something strange has to happen for the over night temp to drop below 55F.

Other than some clothes, sunglasses and a laptop or tablet, that's really all you need. Everything else you can pick up for just a few bucks.

Oh, don't forget one of those tiny super absorbent camping towels, and a pair of flip flops for the shower.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Hey, I have some questions about Buenos Aires and hoping somebody here can help.

I'm going to be there from the 13th-31st of December. The reason for the trip is a surgical procedure.

I'm looking at renting an apartment in either Palermo or Belgrano, and was wondering if one was better than the other. Primary concern is safety as I'm a woman travelling alone who has never been to South America. Secondary concerns are proximity to grocery stores (the first week I probably won't be able to leave my apartment), restaurants, and shopping. Bars/clubs are a non-factor since I won't be able to drink.

The surgery provides all of my transportation to and from my appointments, as well as the surgeon himself will make housecalls during my stay. Because of this they want me to stay in either Palermo or Belgrano. They are pushing Belgrano, but I think that's because that's where the surgery center is. When I look at airbnb there seem to be a lot more options in Palermo and the places look a bit nicer.

So any advice on which neighborhood I should choose?

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
Both are safe with plenty of places to shop but from my experience living in both neighborhoods several years, Belgrano is quieter and greener.
Edit: Palermo is a big neighborhood with different zones, some places are better than others.

hello i am phone fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 3, 2013

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Thanks for the advice! I guess there's no reason not to stick to Belgrano then.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Anyone ever toured on a bicycle in this part of the world? I leave Texas in a week or two and will head south until I run out of money. I'll be hitting up rural areas and small towns, no big cities until I reach South America most likely. I'd love any tips, help, traveling companions, etc.

EDIT: Yeah, I started acquiring equipment and physically training back in April. The route itself is fairly unplanned, as it probably should be. Sticking to paved roads, with local maps and GPS. Lots of water storage and USB/solar gadgets. I'm ready physically, and I've done things equally as stupid. The biggest advice I've seen is to get off the road in Mexico by sunset, not for crime but for drunk drivers.

Oh! One specific question I had was about my Blackberry. I bought it off the street in Nigeria, so I assume it's unlocked. When I got back to the US recently, they wouldn't let me just buy a SIM card and sign up with a plan of my choosing. Can I still do this in Latin America? I loved Nigeria's pay-as-you-go system of credit that worked for both talk and texts.

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 5, 2013

King Metal
Jun 15, 2001
Did you do any planning for this yet?

Alpacalips Now
Oct 4, 2013

legsarerequired posted:

I spent a month in Peru earlier this year and loved it. Of course there's Machu Picchu, but there are a lot of day trip-worthy surprises in the area around Cusco. Andean culture is definitely unique and enjoyable, and everyone I met was friendly. As far as prices, I found good meals on the street for $1 or $2. It's also a great place to buy souvenirs because almost ever street vendor sells alpaca fiber handicrafts at rock-bottom prices.

The only problem might be your ten-day limit because travel across the country eats a lot of time. I took two 16+ hour bus rides. But if you're willing to limit yourself one or two areas, you'll have a great time.

King Metal
Jun 15, 2001

Aliquid posted:

Anyone ever toured on a bicycle in this part of the world? I leave Texas in a week or two and will head south until I run out of money. I'll be hitting up rural areas and small towns, no big cities until I reach South America most likely. I'd love any tips, help, traveling companions, etc.

EDIT: Yeah, I started acquiring equipment and physically training back in April. The route itself is fairly unplanned, as it probably should be. Sticking to paved roads, with local maps and GPS. Lots of water storage and USB/solar gadgets. I'm ready physically, and I've done things equally as stupid. The biggest advice I've seen is to get off the road in Mexico by sunset, not for crime but for drunk drivers.

Oh! One specific question I had was about my Blackberry. I bought it off the street in Nigeria, so I assume it's unlocked. When I got back to the US recently, they wouldn't let me just buy a SIM card and sign up with a plan of my choosing. Can I still do this in Latin America? I loved Nigeria's pay-as-you-go system of credit that worked for both talk and texts.

I can't help you too much, since I've never bicycled/drove through Mexico/Central America. However, for the cell phone that can be tricky. Which phone is it? All Latin American countries support 1900/850 GSM, the same as the US. Nigeria uses 900/1800, so your phone may only support those. You need to check which bands it supports. If you were able to use it in the US at all, you should be fine, and be able to get prepaid SIMs.

Do you speak any Spanish? Do you have plans for getting around Darien Gap? I would suggest checking out lonely planet forums, or other places for people that have done the trek.

How far do you think you will make it?

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all

Alpacalips Now posted:

The only problem might be your ten-day limit because travel across the country eats a lot of time. I took two 16+ hour bus rides. But if you're willing to limit yourself one or two areas, you'll have a great time.

It bears mentioning that Peru does have a surprisingly good national air carrier. Naturally it's considerably more expensive than busing, but the price hike is very much not in proportion to the amount of time and convenience involved (Lima-Cuzco, for example, is about $35/up to around 20 hours by bus, or about $75/about an hour and a half by plane).

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

King Metal posted:

I can't help you too much, since I've never bicycled/drove through Mexico/Central America. However, for the cell phone that can be tricky. Which phone is it? All Latin American countries support 1900/850 GSM, the same as the US. Nigeria uses 900/1800, so your phone may only support those. You need to check which bands it supports. If you were able to use it in the US at all, you should be fine, and be able to get prepaid SIMs.

Do you speak any Spanish? Do you have plans for getting around Darien Gap? I would suggest checking out lonely planet forums, or other places for people that have done the trek.

How far do you think you will make it?

Crap, I didn't know about the banding. No, I was refused a plan at the Verizon store based on some new law they said bans unlocked phones, so I didn't get to try. I've confirmed I can still use my phone for wifi, and will bring it along for that capability, phone stuff is just a bonus. I'll also have an Acer Aspire One, an entry-level small laptop for luxurious typing and facebooking. It won't last long, it suffered a lot of rain damage this past summer; thing's a trooper, though.

Darien Gap sailing service has exploded in the last few years, with private yachts making the trip. I have severe reservations in plunking down $550 to spend five days with a bunch of drunk Australian teenagers, but the islands the trips include are pretty.

As for how far I think I'll make it, I'd like to have a goal to psyche up the willpower, but I'm bringing along my resume. I was the headmaster of an international school, and I'm a decent interview. I'll stop wherever I'm happy/kidnapped.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Unless it's a US flag carrier, the plane isn't inspected by the FAA... I would not recommend flying on such a device. It's cheaper, but only because they don't have to meet the FAA's exacting standards.

In mountainous terrain. Hundreds of miles from the nearest four lane road.

The first world might suck when it comes to international politics, but they've got their poo poo together when it comes to airline travel. Is your life worth saving $50?

Source: Best friend majored in airline management, is an instrument-rated, multi-engine pilot.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all

Hadlock posted:

Unless it's a US flag carrier, the plane isn't inspected by the FAA... I would not recommend flying on such a device. It's cheaper, but only because they don't have to meet the FAA's exacting standards.

In mountainous terrain. Hundreds of miles from the nearest four lane road.

The first world might suck when it comes to international politics, but they've got their poo poo together when it comes to airline travel. Is your life worth saving $50?

Source: Best friend majored in airline management, is an instrument-rated, multi-engine pilot.

This is just silly. FAA planes are obviously safer but if you're going to sperg about the risk of crashing then taking a bus is definitely not the way to go.

US flag carriers are loving awful anyway.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Oh my god, nobody is going to die in a plane crash. And there are two dozen Euro or Asian carriers better than the best US carrier.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

duralict posted:

This is just silly. FAA planes are obviously safer but if you're going to sperg about the risk of crashing then taking a bus is definitely not the way to go.

US flag carriers are loving awful anyway.

Yes, Peruvian buses definitely have a much worse track record than their planes. They do have new roads now, though, so that statistic will improve too.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Aliquid posted:

Yup! That's what I'm doing now. Currently in Venezuela.

Basic tips, learn some Spanish if you don't speak it, sign up for Warmshowers & Couchsurfing, carry a tent and ask at police stations/fire stations/churches/whoever to throw it up. I've not carried more than 3L on my bike during the past about 30,000 miles although I do have a small bag that can hold 10L that's been folded up at the bottom of a pannier for the last 2 and a bit years.

My blog is https://www.onebikeoneworld.com so feel free to contact me through that if you've got more specific questions.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Sad Panda posted:

Yup! That's what I'm doing now. Currently in Venezuela.

Basic tips, learn some Spanish if you don't speak it, sign up for Warmshowers & Couchsurfing, carry a tent and ask at police stations/fire stations/churches/whoever to throw it up. I've not carried more than 3L on my bike during the past about 30,000 miles although I do have a small bag that can hold 10L that's been folded up at the bottom of a pannier for the last 2 and a bit years.

My blog is https://www.onebikeoneworld.com so feel free to contact me through that if you've got more specific questions.

gently caress, you sound like me. I have a 10L dromedary bag that I'm iffy on bringing, and my camping/warmshowers/firestation plan sounds identical to what you've done. Good to know I'm not entirely insane. My spanish is okay, much better written than spoken.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
I flew between Cuzco and Lima twice this spring and I can tell you right now that the flights were indistinguishable from any short-hop American flight, and the landing space in both areas was completely adequate. These flights occur many, many times a day and their track record is just fine. I would never, EVER trust the roads between the two cities though. Drivers are all maniacs and the roads are in the worst condition ever. I'd pay a few hundred dollars for the flight, let alone the $90 I did pay.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Brian Fellows posted:

I flew between Cuzco and Lima twice this spring and I can tell you right now that the flights were indistinguishable from any short-hop American flight, and the landing space in both areas was completely adequate. These flights occur many, many times a day and their track record is just fine. I would never, EVER trust the roads between the two cities though. Drivers are all maniacs and the roads are in the worst condition ever. I'd pay a few hundred dollars for the flight, let alone the $90 I did pay.

We bussed first class from Huacachina to Cuzco for 20 hours. They tell you to draw the curtains. I made the mistake of looking out the window at the curvy, no-guard rail, steep windy, one lane roads that pretty much are 90% of the trip.

ShaggiusPrime posted:

I'm currently one month into a 3 month volunteering gig here in Ecuador and I thought I could maybe help you out. First of all, $2000 is a lot of money here in Ecuador, if you don't mind staying in hostels you'll easily stay under budget. Plus staying in hostels is the best way to meet other people if you're going to be traveling alone.

I did a month volunteering in Quito a few years ago. I know there are a ton of groups, but just out of curiosity, who are you with and what are you doing?

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Aliquid posted:

gently caress, you sound like me. I have a 10L dromedary bag that I'm iffy on bringing, and my camping/warmshowers/firestation plan sounds identical to what you've done. Good to know I'm not entirely insane. My spanish is okay, much better written than spoken.

You'll pick up the Spanish on the road. I'd never studied it but was doing OK, then spent 5 months at UNAM in Mexico City and now outside of being in a loud party with lots of people chatting together at the same time there's no time I can't hold my own.

My 10L bag is so small that there's little reason not to carry it. I assume yours is too!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Thanks. I fitted it yesterday, and with zipties it's only about half an inch too big for my bike triangle. With any water in it, it'll be a good fit inside there, with enough room to grab my water bottle.

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I would crawl ass-naked over a sea of broken glass just to kiss a dick
So I'm gonna be in Texas next spring and since it's so cheap to fly from there I'm thinking of heading down to Latin America for a month or so if I can swing it. I'm pretty well-versed in what each country in South/Central America has going for it but if you experienced guys had a month to spend in one or maybe two countries, which would it be? I'm not going to have a ton of money and I'd like to stay away from places that are outrageously crowded and touristy, but it'll be in May and I love doing all the adventurous backpacker poo poo I can.

Right now I'm thinking of Colombia but I haven't chosen anything yet. Nicaragua maybe?

Cometa Rossa fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I found the cheapest deals from Texas all involved flying first to Miami, then to south america. Miami is sort of due north of Ecuador, and Dallas/Houston is actually west of the Galapagos by 100 miles or so. Both times I flew to Bogota I went DFW -> MIA -> BOG, flying directly over Cuba and Jamaica.

That said, it's a $140 round trip ticket to Mexico via Spirit airlines if you're willing to jump through all their hoops. Guatemala is about a day's ride by bus from there.