Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Rockstar made online banking and going to the ATM exciting.

Getting killed after a big payout must suck though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Catpain Blackudder posted:

2 quick questions

Is it possible to aim from the passenger seat without shooting?

Only with half the control schemes, if you have alternate(shoot with R1) or southpaw + alternate I don't think it works, because L1 is still the shoot button in vehicles.

BTW you can look at a list of unlocks and stuff under stats while in online mode, that's also where you can see the challanges.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Its way easier to get away from the cops after knockin' over liquor stores when you have a helicopter.

numbs
Jul 20, 2013

by XyloJW
Online working now?

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Not for me at the moment (PS3)

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

coyo7e posted:

Wouldn't it stand to reason that some cars may be outside of a player's current stat/car limitations until they gain more levels though?

I was talking about my very first repo mission for Simeon! What are we supposed to do, grind up our stats until then? I would think the designers would be handing level/stat appropriate stuff when they call you. What's the point otherwise?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
PS3 cloud seems dead to me, again. At least it knows this PSN account is in a crew now.

Gene Ricman
Aug 14, 2008

Athanatos posted:

And incase anyone doesn't know: Hold the Back button, go to inventory, cash, and Split Cash from Last Job. Even robbing a liquor store counts as a job so it's a quick way to give your pal cash.

Thanks for this.
The store stickups are so much fun. 1000-1009 crew member KakerMix randomly joined up with me for a robbery which rapidly escalated into some crazy cross-country police chase, helicopters blowing up and allsorts, ending up with me totalling the car and us both making a break for it. I ended up getting shot pretty quick but respawned to find KakerMix alive and well in a tunnel, having successfully escaped. I just saluted.
If you're not in a crew for this game, get yourself over to the thread in PGS and join one, because it makes online infinitely more enjoyable.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

Hihohe posted:

Its way easier to get away from the cops after knockin' over liquor stores when you have a helicopter.

So what you're saying is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO1KsU1rG7s

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I finally made it through the tutorial race and was having fun and then I had to go do a Last Team Standing for Gerald and got stuck again :smith:

DickButt Shitlord
Oct 14, 2012

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I finally made it through the tutorial race and was having fun and then I had to go do a Last Team Standing for Gerald and got stuck again :smith:

This is what happened to me. Glad i'm not the only one.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Oh gently caress. Just fired up my PS3 hoping to go and see what I could do with my rank 10 character and there's no sign of her. gently caress. This happened with the character I first made when things started working on PS3, and I overwrote the slot 2 with my new girl. This time I'm not going to touch it, just hope that it's a cloud issue and that she reappears when it's not broken at their end.

This is the worst thing. I don't mind the launch being broken, and intermittent outages, and reduced content etc. I can forgive all that because it's an online game launch and poo poo breaks during these things. Losing a character into which I've invested time and effort is a kick in the balls though. I had logged out and back in several times yesterday, so it was saving. Now, no sign of her.

For reference, I still look to have $14k listed in the bank, something that happened (with $200) the previous time. I'd trade all that money for my 10 levels back. And I'd trade all of that just to keep my character, who was cool as gently caress.

Massively bummed out about this.

Apathetic Artist
Dec 23, 2010
Once this runs more smoothly it will be a whole lot of fun. I've already scammed a pubbie in to helping me with a bunch of robberies. I don't think he knew about accessing his bank account from his phone because after a few hours I capped him and stole all he had. He was not happy and called me a bad Canadian!

Also had a great moment sneaking behind a guy robbing a liquor store and capping him the moment the clerk handed over the money.

The few moments I've had playing with goons has been great as well. Now if only I could stop investing in tattoos and buy myself something useful.. (On that note: I hate wearing any armor because it covers all my sweet chest and back tats. I kind of wish I could have the armor be invisible.)

Pleatherface
Oct 24, 2004

Parkingtigers posted:

^
Massively bummed out about this.

I'm in the exact same boat. (PS3)

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Irsh posted:

The few moments I've had playing with goons has been great as well. Now if only I could stop investing in tattoos and buy myself something useful.. (On that note: I hate wearing any armor because it covers all my sweet chest and back tats. I kind of wish I could have the armor be invisible.)

After you buy it, turn it off with the Back/Select menu under Inventory.

Shonuff
Sep 26, 2007
White like Frank Black is

Irsh posted:

Once this runs more smoothly it will be a whole lot of fun. I've already scammed a pubbie in to helping me with a bunch of robberies. I don't think he knew about accessing his bank account from his phone because after a few hours I capped him and stole all he had. He was not happy and called me a bad Canadian!

Also had a great moment sneaking behind a guy robbing a liquor store and capping him the moment the clerk handed over the money.

You can turn off the visible armor in your Inventory options.

E: Beaten

GangsterIsland
Jul 7, 2011

It's

GIBBS

Ho
I've completed the tutorial all the way through modding the car... then it told me that a mission was available at a blue star. However, there is no blue star on my map. Is it talking about the races? If I try to join any of them, my game just loads forever and I have to quit out of the entire game. Do I need to just rob stores over and over until something unlocks? This is on PS3.

Apathetic Artist
Dec 23, 2010

Obsurveyor posted:

After you buy it, turn it off with the Back/Select menu under Inventory.

Shonuff posted:

You can turn off the visible armor in your Inventory options.

E: Beaten

You've both just made my day. Thank You!

Now all will be able to see the glory that is my tattoos. Now I need to get 50 headshots to get my face done.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

GangsterIsland posted:

I've completed the tutorial all the way through modding the car... then it told me that a mission was available at a blue star. However, there is no blue star on my map. Is it talking about the races? If I try to join any of them, my game just loads forever and I have to quit out of the entire game. Do I need to just rob stores over and over until something unlocks? This is on PS3.

R* servers died again, at least for PS3, again.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

GangsterIsland posted:

Online is hosed which is why you aren't seeing the blue mission marker. I'd kiss your character goodbye too :(

edit: vvv For some reason, the cash saves even as the cloud eats countless characters. Small comfort.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 3, 2013

GangsterIsland
Jul 7, 2011

It's

GIBBS

Ho
Hmm... if I exit and rejoin a solo instance, my banked money and stuff is still saved. Is this just an illusion of any actual functionality? Will it all be gone once the servers are back?

Virginia Blend
Jan 5, 2010
3 fuckin days of this poo poo and still can't get past the tutorial (PS3). This has to be the biggest hosed up launch of any online game ever.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Virginia Blend posted:

3 fuckin days of this poo poo and still can't get past the tutorial (PS3). This has to be the biggest hosed up launch of any online game ever.

You're adorable.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

How much are the most expensive houses?

GangsterIsland
Jul 7, 2011

It's

GIBBS

Ho
I just was able to compete against a player at the shooting range on PS3 if that means anything...

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

What are the benefits of apartments/housing, anyway? I feel like homelessness suits my character anyway.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

Obsurveyor posted:

According to posts by others in the original GTA5 thread, what it does is use your setting from single player and then locks it when you get into online. Everyone has whatever setting they set in single player, which means most in free roam will have some kind of auto aim. You may be thinking/hearing of the ability to set the aiming type in the deatchmatch/versus modes when creating missions/jobs/etc. that aren't free roam.

Ugh. I hope this isn't the case. Its going to be a pain switching back and forth between offline/online when I can remember. I'll see how badly I do in death match with the auto-aimers. I really wish they'd disable auto aim online.

At least I'm getting much faster at free aim headshots. I haven't used auto-aim in forever.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Yeah my PS3 character still exists but I can't connect to anything but Solo mode. I had much better luck last night.

Also, I realize there may not be a lot to say, but no update from Rockstar since 4:30 PM EST yesterday seems a little... negligent.

Nero CCG
Dec 1, 2007
Qualis Artifex Pereo.
I'm just curious, is there anything Rockstar can actually do to fix these issues beyond waiting for demand to die down, and how much would be enough? Could their servers reliably handle even 25% of the players who purchased the game?

Apathetic Artist
Dec 23, 2010

bow chicka wow wow posted:

What are the benefits of apartments/housing, anyway? I feel like homelessness suits my character anyway.

My meth addict will probably stay homeless unless an option to live in a winnebago, or even a trailer, becomes an option (or is an option I don't know about..).

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Needs More Jazz posted:

Been trying on and off since launch to log-in on the PS3, and still nothing. I'm wondering if I just have bad luck.

Super jealous of all you goons. Hope that this clears up soon so me and some fools can rob a gas station, blow up the tanks, and probably kill ourselves in the ensuing firefight with the police...

...and than go play golf.

Same thing for me, I've been stuck at the tutorial race for 3 days. I've tried every trick there is. I understand there are going to be problems but its frustrating to the point where I'm not sure how much longer I want to keep trying.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

A c E posted:

Ugh. I hope this isn't the case. Its going to be a pain switching back and forth between offline/online when I can remember. I'll see how badly I do in death match with the auto-aimers. I really wish they'd disable auto aim online.

In official Deathmatch Jobs, that's assigned when the host creates the lobby. However, your setting might override it if it's less restrictive: Free Aim > Assisted Aim > Traditional GTA

quote:

At least I'm getting much faster at free aim headshots. I haven't used auto-aim in forever.

I think Assisted Aim is fine, you still have to get relatively close to a target to lock on and don't get the crazy view swings. I'd still rather it were all Free Aim too, but let's not start that up again.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Nero CCG posted:

I'm just curious, is there anything Rockstar can actually do to fix these issues beyond waiting for demand to die down, and how much would be enough? Could their servers reliably handle even 25% of the players who purchased the game?

I am by no means an expert, but I think once the servers die down a bit, and the vast majority of players are past the first 3 to 4 missions, the game play will improve. I imagine 10 million people trying to do the exact same thing completely screwed the start. It feels like a poor design choice. Rather to have people start in free roam.

But again, this is just conjecture.

Virginia Blend
Jan 5, 2010

Point taken

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I spent 223k on a luxury apartment and the cloud ate it. The money is gone, the building is gone. this sucks.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

One loading tip I saw was the game saves every time you switch characters or exit from the pause menu. It's possible those are the ONLY time it saves so do it often.

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

Powershift posted:

I spent 223k on a luxury apartment and the cloud ate it. The money is gone, the building is gone. this sucks.

Are you people not reading the same stuff that I am? Why are you even bothering?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

While waiting for the PS3 character cloud to return..

Could have been a sucky moment had there been no way to respawn elsewhere upon taking on a job. Resuming the grind for a sniper rifle when it returns.

On the big map I saw this guy head into AmmuNation so I swung by, major caklunk crash sounds and his private car had teleported inside and dropped on him, no damage done. I helped him out by throwing in a canister of teargas.

e: Recorded my entire round of 1set tennis with cheesetriangles, exactly 25 minutes. In real life tournaments (big ones) single tennis matches have gone on for over six hours. Prepare your seats if you go in for a round.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 3, 2013

Gawdfather
Jul 29, 2011
A GTAO Tooltip says when you leave online switch back to single player and it should save your character and progress.

If this is true or not seems to be at the whim of the nebulous ~Cloud~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PepperSinclaire
Jan 21, 2007

But everyone's doooing it!
Deleted patch, cleared cache, used character I created on Tuesday, all works fine (UK 360). Hopped on to do some of the intro missions, then tried some free roam.

Pubbies were just standing around aiming guns in the desert. They weren't impressed when I pulled up and did some sweet donuts in front of them.

• Locked thread