Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I don't parry at all unless I've maxed out the Parry and Riposte skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

User0015 posted:

Just got around to playing this since the Steam Summer Sale (yeah, just now...) and I want to say,

The very first fight in the game took about 20 reloads. Because I hate myself.

My main issue is that dodging doesn't seem to grant any real invincibility frames, but Parrying just means losing a slightly smaller massive chunk of health instead of the normal near death hit. Is there any tips on Parrying and how to get it to work in Dark Mode? Or any tips for surviving in Dark Mode period?

Dodging doesn't give any invincibility frames that I can tell. And in fact dodging often exposes your back, which the enemies can hit for double damage. I really like it, because you have to be so careful about being surrounded.

For survival - fight dirty. Bombs, traps, kiting the enemy. The quen sign is great for cancelling hits, use the hell out of it.

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.
Yesterday I finished the game in Dark Mode, I feel awesome.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

User0015 posted:

Is there any tips on Parrying and how to get it to work in Dark Mode? Or any tips for surviving in Dark Mode period?

Parrying only really works when you get the relevant stuff from the Swordsman tree. I went Magic my first time through and spent most of the game rolling around.

My advice for surviving in Dark Mode is, uh, don't. It really is just for people who've beaten the game two or three times.

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.
The trick for surviving in Dark Mode is to improve Quen sign as soon as possible along with Aard. After that I went the swordman tree and even though every encounter is difficult as gently caress without improved Quen I wouldn't have beaten it. The cool stuff about Dark Mode is that there are aditional items and in each chapter a set of armor that is very very OP.

PS: In the battle with the dragon in Dark Mode it kills you with 1 hit!

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Billa posted:

The trick for surviving in Dark Mode is to improve Quen sign as soon as possible along with Aard. After that I went the swordman tree and even though every encounter is difficult as gently caress without improved Quen I wouldn't have beaten it. The cool stuff about Dark Mode is that there are aditional items and in each chapter a set of armor that is very very OP.

PS: In the battle with the dragon in Dark Mode it kills you with 1 hit!

Why should you improve Quen? If you upgrade it it still falls in one hit and the damage reflect upgrade does jack poo poo in dark mode. Since you still dont regen vigor with Quen up all haveing a longer timer means is that youll probably have less vigor once it wears off. I could see the first quen upgrade being useful since you can trigger it before you face an encounter and still have plenty of time to get osme use out of it but the second upgrade or the reflection upgrades? I dont see it.
That said Quen is very useful in dark mode where a nekker hitting you in the back can be a one hit kill.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Dodging doesn't give any invincibility frames that I can tell. And in fact dodging often exposes your back, which the enemies can hit for double damage. I really like it, because you have to be so careful about being surrounded.

For survival - fight dirty. Bombs, traps, kiting the enemy. The quen sign is great for cancelling hits, use the hell out of it.

The games tutorial could be a little better. I had to sit down and actually use all my abilities to figure out what they do. I still don't really know what they all do, like AXII. I'm also a little surprised because the journal doesn't tell me exactly where to go for a quest. The good ole days of actual exploring and playing. I had forgotten.

As far as Dark Mode goes, I'm pretty sure 90% of my deaths are due to back hits in mid-roll. The other 10% is getting countered after a guy with a shield blocks me. That poo poo is infuriating. I'm used to more fast paced action games where getting parried means you need to cancel out of the recovery (or else you loving die), but in The Witchers case, my attempt to cancel out by rolling away means I get nailed in the back for hilarious damage. Right now I'm at the first town of Act 1 and I went hunting for the queens that you summon by destroying sets of eggs. I would attack, they'd usually block/deflect/guard against my attack, and nine times out of ten, my roll to escape their counter-attack meant a backstab, which is a 1-hit KO for me.

I eventually killed them both by spamming a shitload of traps and the magical trap sign on their spawn point. Don't worry, I don't fight fair. :devil:

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.

SpRahl posted:

Why should you improve Quen? If you upgrade it it still falls in one hit and the damage reflect upgrade does jack poo poo in dark mode. Since you still dont regen vigor with Quen up all haveing a longer timer means is that youll probably have less vigor once it wears off. I could see the first quen upgrade being useful since you can trigger it before you face an encounter and still have plenty of time to get osme use out of it but the second upgrade or the reflection upgrades? I dont see it.
That said Quen is very useful in dark mode where a nekker hitting you in the back can be a one hit kill.

Trust me, because without Quen and even if it falls in one hit you can still die from 2 or 3 hits in quick succession (like when you are surrounded or fighting gargoiles or wraiths in closed spaces). You really need Quen in order to beat Dark Mode (and vigor to like 4 or 5). Also, if you have already beaten the game read the spoiler in my previous post, just for that it makes sense and is a must.

Billa fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Sep 16, 2013

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

SpRahl posted:

Because having to recast Quen puts you in a vulnerable spot, so you want to minimise how often it happens.

Venting is also great for briefly stunning multiple enemies. I had an awesome fight, where I whittled down three neckers to almost no health, then let one pop my quen, killing all of them. Felt like a boss.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I'm not sure if I should ask this here, but after hearing so many great things about these games I'm going to try playing The Witcher 1 again (The first time around I ended up quitting after act 1 because I got bored of the combat).

So I've heard about this FCR mod, is it worth using? What settings should I be using for a first playthrough, just the default ones?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Elman posted:

I'm not sure if I should ask this here, but after hearing so many great things about these games I'm going to try playing The Witcher 1 again (The first time around I ended up quitting after act 1 because I got bored of the combat).

So I've heard about this FCR mod, is it worth using? What settings should I be using for a first playthrough, just the default ones?

FCR was infuriating and thoroughly pissed me off. I'd avoid.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Elman posted:

When using the next to lowest difficulty I cannot get past the Barghests in the beginning of Chapter 1, which means I have to skip through 5 minutes of cutscenes every 30 seconds as dogs eat me. This is after beating the game for the 7th time with no issues on un-modded hard mode. YMMV.

wilbur.walsh
Jan 3, 2008

Whoaaaat?
So since my HDD died on me, I lost all my Witcher 2 savegames. The ones from my first run (Iorveth's path) and my second (Roche's path).... :negative:
Could anyone upload me some endgame-saves of each path respectively. I completed all sidequests, I'm still trying to remember what game story decisions i took. :(

edit:

Scoaitel game:

quote:

Helped Newboy wear his armour

Killed Aryan La Valette

Viziman alchemist participate in his long term research concerning mutations.

Malena, she lured you (alone) into an Scoia'tael ambush consisting of a half dozen elves. I let her go

Bath with Triss: sex with triss ^^

Troll trouble
Decision: Kill the troll

Iorveth's sword: i gave iorveth his sword back

At the Crossroads
Sided with the Scoiatel and saved the elven women.

The Succubus (Iorveth's path
Trusted and helped the succibus

Stennis (Iorveth's path)
Killed Stennis

Triss or Saskia? (Iorveth's path)
Saved Saskia

The flawed diamond
I let Sila live

wilbur.walsh fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Sep 24, 2013

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

wilbur.walsh posted:

So since my HDD died on me, I lost all my Witcher 2 savegames. The ones from my first run (Iorveth's path) and my second (Roche's path).... :negative:
Could anyone upload me some endgame-saves of each path respectively. I completed all sidequests, I'm still trying to remember what game story decisions i took. :(

I can't help you with a save, but you may be interested to know that you're a monster for killing that troll.

wilbur.walsh
Jan 3, 2008

Whoaaaat?
Well that's what I was going for... on my Roche WT i helped the troll tough.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I have some saves from the beginning of Act 3 after having taken Roche's path, are you looking for saves from the beginning, middle or end of act 3?

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Turn off the fountain dear, it's just me.
Nap Ghost

quote:

Polish studio CD Projekt Red has everything going for it as it builds to a Witcher 3 crescendo in 2014. But there are concerns - concerns about it being open world and perhaps flabbier and more unfocused as a result.

Lead quest designer Mateus Tomaszkiewicz tackled these concerns at EGX in London today.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-28-i-used-to-be-excited-but-then-i-took-200-miles-to-the-knee

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Man, even this tutorial makes me feel like a total babby gamer. I've done the intro fight twice now and I don't think I really have it all down.
I never played the first game, and bought it on a Steam sale because I enjoyed Dragon Age: Origins and someone mentioned I'd like this as well. The opening cinematic was gorgeous and thus far I enjoy the more gritty and menacing feeling of the setting, but holy hell I think my Geralt is liable to chop his own head off with my attempts at combat, haha.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I've never managed to beat the big group at the end of the tutorial and I still managed to beat the game. Try to keep your front towards the enemy and don't let yourself get surrounded when fighting groups, Flotsam is tough because you're figuring things out, once you're in act 2 things are a lot more manageable.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah, the combat in this game certainly isn't like the usual RPG fare, where you just stand your ground slugging it out and use the occasional ability. It's largely about exploiting opportunities (the time windows for which are relatively narrow) and making use of anything at your disposal.
My fighting style usually consists of dodging around madly (the skill that makes dodging cover more gound is loving fantastic), pouncing in for a couple strikes when I spot an opening, and dodging out again. The Riposte ability is wonderful against human opponents, when I can single them out a bit. Oh and bombs. So many bombs. Bombs are your friend. My Geralt is a whirlwind of blades and multi-colored explosions.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Another way in which the Witcher 2 differs from other RPGs is that you don't really find much gear in the wild, so don't forget to check out the weapon schematics every time you come across a new merchant/blacksmith.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Biggest human being Ever posted:

Another way in which the Witcher 2 differs from other RPGs is that you don't really find much gear in the wild, so don't forget to check out the weapon schematics every time you come across a new merchant/blacksmith.

The best weapons and armors come from schematics and quests, but there's certainly a lot of pretty decent upgrades lying around.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Finished the game in Dark Mode. I don't really wanna do that again, so many parts were more just frustrating as gently caress rather than entertainingly challenging.
I do want to get at least a couple saves to import to The Witcher 3 though, so I'm gonna play through again. Probably just gonna stick to Normal this time, maybe give that FCR mod a try. Anyone have any comments on that? Apparently the one for the first game pissed some people off, is the TW2 version better?

At any rate, I really came to like Saskia and Iorveth and that bunch. Gonna be hard siding with Henselt and his cavalcade of douchecunts next game. Oh well, Roche is a pretty righteous dude at least.

Iswed
Jan 6, 2011

For some reason my Darkmode savefile got corrupted.

I had finished the game, and this was one of my proudest achievements in my gaming history. Now I'm just sad, will witcher 3 get affected if I finish the play through with an easy/normal setting? I really want the dark mode items though :(

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
I'm at Loc Muinne and getting lots of Crashing to Desktop with no error message. The game runs fine and has been nothing but stable in the XX hours up to this point, and it seems to happen reasonably frequently with no rhyme or reason based on location or whatever. Frustrating.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Nordick posted:

Finished the game in Dark Mode. I don't really wanna do that again, so many parts were more just frustrating as gently caress rather than entertainingly challenging.
I do want to get at least a couple saves to import to The Witcher 3 though, so I'm gonna play through again. Probably just gonna stick to Normal this time, maybe give that FCR mod a try. Anyone have any comments on that? Apparently the one for the first game pissed some people off, is the TW2 version better?

At any rate, I really came to like Saskia and Iorveth and that bunch. Gonna be hard siding with Henselt and his cavalcade of douchecunts next game. Oh well, Roche is a pretty righteous dude at least.

FCR is garbage. Stay away.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

RubberJohnny posted:

I'm at Loc Muinne and getting lots of Crashing to Desktop with no error message. The game runs fine and has been nothing but stable in the XX hours up to this point, and it seems to happen reasonably frequently with no rhyme or reason based on location or whatever. Frustrating.

When I ran into this problem it was because of the number of autosaves. I ended up just going into the save folder using windows explorer and deleting everything but the last 10 or so saves and it was enough to get me through the rest of the game.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I liked FCR 2. It's a fun way to shake things up if you've played the game a couple times and want something different, now that the glitches are fixed. It also makes the combat less of a roll-fest, which I like.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Pretty cool cosplay from a Russian con:

http://instagram.com/p/fA454crqGy/

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Seeing that stuff in real life just drives home how ridiculous and impractical most of the ingame outfits are. Neat costume though.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Wachepti posted:

Seeing that stuff in real life just drives home how ridiculous and impractical most of the ingame outfits are. Neat costume though.

This one's actually okay, compared to most others. It's not outdoor gear, but it's not any less weird than a lot of regular female fashion.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The only thing particularly impractical about the in game outfit was just how many pieces it was, which is something most of the Witcher 2 costumes suffer from. It looked fairly comfortable and functional besides that. There's a bit of an obsession with buckles. At least it's still shy of a full on JRPG zipper-fest, though.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
It does make you wonder how long it takes to put the whole get-up on, though. Buckles goddamn everywhere.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Isn't that reasonable accurate for Medieval styles? Not so much buckles, but the whole multi-piece things with the straps and laces. Like how trousers were ~3 different pieces that you put together.

The one-arm leather sleeve is a bit weird, but all the sorcerers look vaguely punk, which I really like.

Also Triss magics her clothes on and off, so it wouldn't take very long. But that might have just been CDProjekt cheating on their cloth animations, like how i Fahrenheit the camera always pains dramatically so you lose sight of a character briefly as they take their coat/jumper off.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
You do make a good argument for magic people to wear whatever ridiculous thing they want.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

It does make you wonder how long it takes to put the whole get-up on, though. Buckles goddamn everywhere.
I think that is a bit of a moot point for somebody who literally dresses/undresses by teleporting clothes around.

Edit: I shouldn't start replaying before lunch and hit "post" after.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Megazver posted:

Pretty cool cosplay from a Russian con:

http://instagram.com/p/fA454crqGy/

Apparently this photo just got her signed on as the official model for Triss, like that Bioshock Infinite lady.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
It is actually a pretty good resemblance.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
I've just started playing this on 360 after picking it up on a sale months ago and am doing my first playthrough on Dark Mode (I generally play games on hardest difficulties, especially when they allow manual saving). It's a nice challenge getting used to the hit and run tactics required and the atmosphere of the game gives me Baldur's Gate vibes which is fantastic.

It's weird how the abilities thing works though. I find I have to play it with the abilities wikia page open otherwise it's too easy to miss them as often they require doing something obscure, especially +10% XP for killing the training dummies - half of which are in the prologue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Well most of them are supposed to be little secrets that you might stumble on.

• Locked thread