Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Mazz posted:

Would it be a pain in the rear end to push the corruption back like 10-20 tiles for one of the rooms? At this point its probably worth a try, as much as it sucks.

It probably is, but hey, it's something to do!:yayclod:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks

Yonic Symbolism posted:

So btw, I found something really cool in the jungle.

You should edit out the rest of your post, because everyone should discover on their own and experience the joy that is the Extractinator.

Also I found mine in a room in the Deep Mushroom biome.

Scrode
Mar 6, 2002

It's about damn time...
Does the treasure map drop before you're in hardmode? I've been farming sharks for 30 minutes with no luck.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Scrode posted:

Does the treasure map drop before you're in hardmode? I've been farming sharks for 30 minutes with no luck.

The pirate invasion is pretty tough, so I doubt it can be done before hardmode.

mune
Sep 23, 2006

Methanar posted:

So does anyone want to create a new world with me and play 1.2 from scratch?

I can host, available 4-11ish pm mountain time. etc.

I'd love to join but I'm already a ways into 1.2. I tried hosting with someone from this thread earlier and no luck... he couldn't connect :(

Roundabout Route
Nov 4, 2009

Pens and swords can
go fuck themselves.
Not sure if anyone's posted about this in the thread yet, but I got super ridiculously lucky in the Hard Mode Ice Biome, and one of the random mooks dropped an Ice Key (~1% chance). It's a one-use item that unlocks the unique ice chest in the Dungeon.

For the curious, the prize I found is as follows:

Demonic Staff of the Frost Hydra
119 Damage
Average Speed
Insane Knockback
Uses 16 Mana
"Summons a powerful frost hydra to spit ice at your enemies"
+15% Damage
+5% Critical Strike Chance

What it says on the tin. When you use the staff, an immobile ice statue is summoned where you're standing (or below you if you're in the air: it's a bit glitchy though, and will get summoned a few spaces away from you if the area below you is too small for it to stand on. Also, it sometimes gets summoned inside the ground). It's basically a turret, shooting about once a second towards the closest enemy. It can aim in any direction, and it lasts 5-10 minutes when summoned, so you can cast and forget.

Strategy:
As you might expect, this thing works wonders on bosses. If you use it in conjunction with a Slime Staff or Pygmy Staff, you can build a box around yourself in hostile territory and idle with a Water Candle in hand to farm enemies all day long. The hydra statue persists even if you run far away from it, so you can summon it in the Dungeon or one of the temples and move to a different room above or below it so enemies will continually spawn off-screen and die.

Also, it looks pretty cool!

Roundabout Route fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 3, 2013

PlotDevice
Oct 10, 2007

*For the Ghost Who Flies Through Space
Does anyone have any good planning type apps I can use to lay out my base?

Also drat this game's time eating properties. I lost three hours of my life last night spelunking. :mad:

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
So in my current game, roughly 1/3 of the map is jungle, equating to a absolute fuckton of underground jungle for me to navigate. After getting into ~lead armor I started working my way though it, realizing very quickly that a Strong Spear isn't exactly hornet killing material. Just when I'm about to head out and go work my way through some regular caves, this wonderful bastard pops up in a chest.

So much for missing the tinkerer.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 3, 2013

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Fewd posted:

Treebuddy :buddy:

I'm working on trees too. It's a bit sucky that apparently the leaf blocks you plop yourself won't grow those vines like the original big trees.

My älftree in progress. Thinking I need to demolish those blocky houses and start doing ones more like what the vendor guy up there has.
Oh my god I am so jealous. How often does the item that makes living wood spawn? Last time our world had a Tree with no treasure.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
This is less 1.2-specific, but I encountered an incredible trap setup in my new world. At the bottom of a cave lake, I hit a single pressure plate that shot three darts toward me, and a moment after I dodged most of those, four boulders came bouncing my direction. If I hadn't had flippers on, I would have panicked and splattered.

Naturally it was just a really dense spawn of traps that happened to get their wires crossed, but it made an impression on me.

Jackard posted:

Oh my god I am so jealous. How often does the item that makes living wood spawn? Last time our world had a Tree with no treasure.

I found one in my first tree, so :iiam:

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
How does one obtain the key for getting into the Jungle...Dungeon? Fortress? Whatever it's called. I can't mine through the walls, and the only entrance requires a drat key.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Hardmode Jungle Boss.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
Am I the only person who actually enjoys playing on the large worlds even single player? I guess part of the the fun for me is exploring huge maps.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
I'm exploring the dungeon and picking up all the banners I see because I like fancy decorations and I don't remember them from 1.1. However, on the wiki, it says that the dungeon now has flags that determine what enemies spawn there in hard mode. Does that refer to the banners? If so, does that mean I'm neutering the hard mode dungeon by stealing all these flags?

More importantly, can I set up some sort of nightmarish thunderdome wherever I want with these things in hard mode, or are they only active in dungeon biomes?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

SuicideSnowman posted:

Am I the only person who actually enjoys playing on the large worlds even single player? I guess part of the the fun for me is exploring huge maps.

Exploring a vast desert isn't very interesting.

There isn't more to explore in a large world, it just takes longer to explore it.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?

SuicideSnowman posted:

I love large worlds too and won't even play on small/medium if I have the choice. Still kinda sad very large didn't make it into this update, cause that's all I'd play then. But hey, always a future patch~

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Daeren posted:

I'm exploring the dungeon and picking up all the banners I see because I like fancy decorations and I don't remember them from 1.1. However, on the wiki, it says that the dungeon now has flags that determine what enemies spawn there in hard mode. Does that refer to the banners? If so, does that mean I'm neutering the hard mode dungeon by stealing all these flags?

More importantly, can I set up some sort of nightmarish thunderdome wherever I want with these things in hard mode, or are they only active in dungeon biomes?

Honestly I don't think those banners do anything for factions or anything like that. I was getting hardmode dungeon enemies in a 1.1 or 1.0.6 dungeon. I may be wrong though.

Speaking of the new hardmode dungeon, holy poo poo things there are loving brutal. Especially the paladins. 5000 health and they can throw hammers through walls.

Powercrazy posted:

Exploring a vast desert isn't very interesting.

There isn't more to explore in a large world, it just takes longer to explore it.

Once Red adds Very Large worlds in an upcoming patch I'm going to make one just for the sake of having a lot more room up in space for making a space colony. Even if I won't want to explore, larger worlds are good for building things in.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

So what dungeon chests are there which need hardmode? Does every biome have a key for one?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Yeah, each biome has 1 corresponding key/chest, in addition to regular chests and gold chest w/ gold keys.

biomatter
Aug 14, 2013

SuicideSnowman posted:

Nope! I was definitely getting the same vibe though. For me, I like my worlds to feel like actual WORLDS. Sure, you may be able to swiftly harvest a small world's resources the fastest, but I'm not playing for the grind, I'm playing for the experience. If it takes me 10 minutes to cross from ocean to ocean, then so be it.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
Extractified an Amber Mosquito from a block of silt earlier. Now I have an adorable baby T-Rex following me everywhere. When it can't keep up a pterodactyl picks it up and carries it back to me. :3:

A++ would extract again.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Samopsa posted:

Yeah, each biome has 1 corresponding key/chest, in addition to regular chests and gold chest w/ gold keys.

So I can potentially find keys from the jungle, crimson, hallow and hell? We've already found the ice one, but I'm not sure where would be best to try next.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Biomes with keys are crimson/corrupt (depends on world), hallowed, ice, and one other that I'm not sure of. Either Hell or Jungle I think.

e: the item for the last one is the piranha gun so I guess that corresponds to jungle.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I think it's the jungle. The best way to farm them is to wait for a Blood Moon or Solar Eclipse, then run to the biome and start massacring.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Powercrazy posted:

On a huge world in free fall, it takes over a minute to get to hell.

gently caress that poo poo.

Teleporters~

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Web Slinger!

This thing is great. It's like Spiderman and the Ivy Whip had an unholy arachnaphobia inducing baby.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

So how do you select what port to host on when using the Host and Play option? Are you restricted to always 7777?

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Real men play on the large maps. I just wish I could get Hermes boots already so I didn't have to use sandstorm bottle/hook shenanigans to speed myself up when traveling.

Also I'm not sure how good endgame pickaxes are but bombs are my go to way of going downwards.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Very first chest in the Temple

:getin:

Edit: Now shown: A flying turtle pet from a Jungle shrine.
:neckbeard:

Have to leave it unequipped because it looks like it's constantly attacking, though.

This update makes everything feel so new and awesome.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 4, 2013

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.
Just a head's up (I didn't see it mentioned, but I skim and could have missed it), but once you place the Bunny Cannon, you can't pick it back up again. Not sure if this applies to both types or not.

mune
Sep 23, 2006

Rynoto posted:

Have to leave it unequipped because it looks like it's constantly attacking, though.

I'm jealous. I've spent the past three hours looking for pyramids and I've found one. Of course it had the Pharaoh's stuff :(

edit: two - magic carpet :(

edit: three - finally got it!

mune fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 4, 2013

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Rynoto posted:

Just wait til you get a balloon. That's when the real fun begins. :shepface:

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
:3: In the Hardmode Jungle you can find Life Fruits that give you +5 MAXHP. This goes over 400. :3:

Matrim posted:

Teleporters~

Requires wire connections and has a limit of 1000 spaces. You can apparently hook up teleporters in a chain though, by attaching wire leading to different teleporters to the left side and the right side of a teleporter without them connecting.

Wahad posted:

How does one obtain the key for getting into the Jungle...Dungeon? Fortress? Whatever it's called. I can't mine through the walls, and the only entrance requires a drat key.
Blow up Hardmode Chlorophyte Ore with bombs, make a Chlorophyte Drill, break your way in.
Use actuators to allow the blocks to be disabled, then turn off the walls.
Put a teleporter inside and outside, hook them up, activate the teleporter.

...the first two were just fixed in 1.2.0.2, though :v:

Speaking of 1.2.0.2:

quote:

-Bug Fixes-
⦁ The game will no longer look for the square root of zero.
⦁ Projectiles and harpoon should no longer cause out of memory exception
⦁ The guide will no longer say you need a hammer to break life crystals
⦁ The guide will no longer say you need 10 fallen stars to make a mana crystal
⦁ Dungeon platform item icons will now display the right color
⦁ Clay pot dupe no longer works
⦁ Snipers will now drop sniper rifles
⦁ Opening doors will no longer cause a room to be unsuitable
⦁ Hardmode summon items will no longer drop from monsters that have been spawned from statues
⦁ Chests, crystal hearts, and statues should no longer spawn on ice
⦁ Crafting recipe for sticky glowsticks has been fixed
⦁ Pumping honey will no longer turn honey into water
⦁ Fixed trashing coin dupe
⦁ Shadow orb and fairy bell no longer show a duration
⦁ If you place a bed somewhere that would cause you to not spawn without breaking through blocks you will now get a message when trying to set your spawn point letting you know the bed is not in a suitable position.
⦁ Fixed a bug with cooking marshmallows with your mouse
⦁ Blackout debuff can no longer be removed by right clicking it
⦁ Slightly reduced how much memory the map requires on large worlds
⦁ You can no longer use actuators to deactivate temple blocks before killing Plantera
⦁ The flare gun will no longer light up when you are out of torches
⦁ You can now craft battle potions with vertebrae
⦁ Lihzahrd altar should now spawn and use power cells properly
⦁ Minimum particle display has been increased for certain conditions
⦁ Switch duplication no longer works
⦁ Notes from the magical harp now count as magic and should trigger the spectre set bonus
⦁ Bombs will no longer blow up chlorophyte
⦁ You can no longer break into Lihzahrd temple with chlorophyte drill

biomatter
Aug 14, 2013

quote:

⦁ Snipers will now drop sniper rifles
That is loving awesome. I can't wait to set up my web of grappling hooks and feel like an utter bad rear end (while being helplessly immobile)

quote:

⦁ Hardmode summon items will no longer drop from monsters that have been spawned from statues
aww :(

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Does dynamite still work on chlorophyte? This is important because I've been looking for some for ages and on the offchance I find one, I want to be able to use totally disproportionate amounts of explosive to loosen tiny patches.

Also, coin dupe fix :(

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Rynoto posted:

I want that turtle pet to follow me with my penguin pet.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Ugh, gently caress me, I can't get Truffle to show up at all. Come on bro, I made you a house in mushroomland and everything.

Rasler
Dec 30, 2008
So I've decided to construct an ice pyramid out of the side of a hill:

still need to sort out the left side and my chest system though. All the millions of new NPCs mean that every new room constructed is dedicated to them instead of to my stuff, so eventually I kicked the dye merchant and painter out of the second floor and dumped them onto the bottom floor.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Well, just figured out how to dupe gold chests on accident. Somehow I managed to do this -

Which ended up letting me "remove" it infinitely with my pickaxe. Can't try to fix the block that broke things, chest is stuck there forever, endlessly replicating.

e:An entire stack sells for just short of 10 gold. Gold's always seemed to get worthless really quick though, so :shrug:

Pomp fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

Meldonox posted:

Ugh, gently caress me, I can't get Truffle to show up at all. Come on bro, I made you a house in mushroomland and everything.

The house has to be in an above ground mushroom biome for the truffle to show up.

Now I'm just waiting for the party girl to show up and I should have all the NPC's but Santa.

• Locked thread