Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Part of me really wants to pick apart, in detail, exactly what's wrong with every part of this. I feel like I'd benefit from it, at least. It's like the ultimate guide on how not to write. The "Why not?" explaining Chapter Zero alone has me bewildered.

Does Major Tom plan on ever going back and revising at some point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Keromaru5 posted:

Part of me really wants to pick apart, in detail, exactly what's wrong with every part of this. I feel like I'd benefit from it, at least. It's like the ultimate guide on how not to write. The "Why not?" explaining Chapter Zero alone has me bewildered.

Does Major Tom plan on ever going back and revising at some point?

Civilian Tom petered out on his big ball of anti-art when Tropers started mocking him for writing on Endless Bore's Trope Page more than he worked on the actual text. I think at some point they even told him he was doing the whole dark gritty edge hard sci-fi poo poo with the math skills of a drunk first grader. He didn't take it well so he took his Dryerball and went home.

I would put money on Tom wishing he wrote The Crow. But in his version the line is, "It can't rain all the time. Because the shadow proves the light. Inevitably at some point the clouds must break and the dawn will shine through. So don't be sad. Because soon the clouds will clear. Then it will be a time for joy."

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I really wish there was more Endless Conflict to read, because it's so awful.

I was disappointed to see that it appears TV Tropes has taken TV Tropes: The TV Show down from their wiki. That was a fun go-nowhere project in which tropers decided to write, produce, and animate talk about writing, producing, and animating a cartoon based on the idea of tropes. Essentially, the plot was such that all fictional characters suddenly became real and tropers, who are a secret society in this movie, are the only ones who can stop the evil ones while probably having sex with the good ones and/or each other.

And by probably, I mean most definitely.

This was probably the only work they did on this idea, fleshing out who wants to bone who and why.

Oh, they also know how each character will fight other characters.

Remember, this is for an anime. Their anime needs DPSers and Tanks for some reason. Also one of them is half Pokémon.

In typical troper fashion, there were plenty of people willing to write or provide voices for the show, but they couldn't find any animators who would work for free, and the separate subforum they had for it locked up and went away. Probably because we made fun of them.

I think it was Ambiguatron who said it in the last thread, that tropers don't actually want to write, they want to make comic books and anime shows, but they can't do any of those things, so they "write" because they think it's the easiest part. All they think you need is a word processor, or even a pen and a piece of paper to write (JK Rowling wrote Harry Potter on a napkin, as the story goes!) but they forget that you actually have to work hard at writing and read lots and actually loving write instead of just "world building" all the drat time.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CoolZidane posted:

A wise man once said "All things must pass", which means that all things which occur must inevitably pass. Eventually, this thing will pass as all things must. Because after all, all things must pass.

Asgerd posted:

You need a few more "supposedly"s in there. For every thing passes in time, even supposedly this one, maybe, I think.

"Every war ends in time, even supposedly this one."

Edit: Hahaha, the trope page even claims that Endless Conflict is "notable" for its "deconstruction of the space marine genre".

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Oct 3, 2013

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Didn't Major Tom write most of his own trope page?

made of bees
May 21, 2013
I forget, was Major Tom also the fascist who really, really wanted to bomb Iran, and talked about how he much he wanted to beat up trans people?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

made of bees posted:

I forget, was Major Tom also the fascist who really, really wanted to bomb Iran, and talked about how he much he wanted to beat up trans people?

All I remember was that he was a washout who really loving hated China, unironically suggested that Russia would build a train to Alaska and use it to invade America, and that he wanted to gently caress Cirno from Touhou or something :barf:

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.
I love Major Tom's big selling point, right there in the title.

:v: "How can you describe the event that drives the entirety of your plot?"
:smug: "Crushingly interminable."

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Metal Loaf posted:

"Every war ends in time, even supposedly this one."

Edit: Hahaha, the trope page even claims that Endless Conflict is "notable" for its "deconstruction of the space marine genre".
For something to be "notable," doesn't someone have to, you know, note it?

Anais Nun
Apr 21, 2010

Fuego Fish posted:

I could tear into this with critique, but "show don't tell, you incompetent shitstain" would cover most of the problems.

"Stop it at once," would also work.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Keromaru5 posted:

For something to be "notable," doesn't someone have to, you know, write it?

fixed

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Out of curiosity, I went and checked Mr. Tom's profile, and noticed this:

quote:

Is currently writing Endless Conflict, the trope page to which was just re-written from the So Bad, It's Horrible amatuerish mess it was into something a lot more professional and tropey looking.
The trope page.

I see what you guys mean now.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
"A lot more professional and tropey looking."

Besides the fact that these two descriptors seem to be completely at odds with each other, how terrible is the phrase "tropey looking"? Sounds like some kind of Civil War era horse disease, like some prospector-bearded old timer is diagnosing his favourite nag as "lookin' a little tropey around the mouth".

Is there no part of writing that tropers can't sully?

made of bees
May 21, 2013
You know, I think a piece of fiction written in the form of an encyclopedia article about something that doesn't exist might turn out to be kinda fun. Sorta like The Areas of My Expertise. Just, not if it's written by tropers.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

made of bees posted:

You know, I think a piece of fiction written in the form of an encyclopedia article about something that doesn't exist might turn out to be kinda fun. Sorta like The Areas of My Expertise. Just, not if it's written by tropers.
That's basically Jorge Luis Borges' fiction in a nutshell. But of course, he was an actual scholar and literary critic, whose creativity and analysis didn't begin and end with snapping tropes together like Legos.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

All I remember was that he was a washout who really loving hated China, unironically suggested that Russia would build a train to Alaska and use it to invade America, and that he wanted to gently caress Cirno from Touhou or something :barf:

Major Tom might just be the worst troper. Certainly he is peak TV Tropes.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

made of bees posted:

I think that was Barkey? It's a little hard to tell tropers apart sometimes.

I also remember someone repeatedly turned Major Tom's page into a Space Oddity edit. The page is now locked so only he can edit it.

made of bees
May 21, 2013

Flesnolk posted:

I think that was Barkey? It's a little hard to tell tropers apart sometimes.

Oh yeah, it could be either one of those, or I could be conflating them. Tom just seemed like the kind of armchair strategist who'd think invading Iran would be a quick and painless affair.

quote:

I also remember someone repeatedly turned Major Tom's page into a Space Oddity edit. The page is now locked so only he can edit it.

Now that I think about it, I'm surprised it was only one person. I know I'd probably do that if I could.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Does anyone remember a person named Blitzwing, or something? I could have sworn he was a troper who got banned for something a couple years back. The last TVT thread imploded before I registered here, but I lurked. Anyways, a few months after it was gone, I was in a discussion on the Escapist forums regarding TvTropes and I made a comment on how they are loving terrible. In comes a guy with the username Blitzwing fervently defending the website and accusing me of being an SA goon.

At Beyond the Lampshade, the banned user list also mentioned someone named Blitzwing a couple times. Who is this guy? My memory is failing me.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
My favorite Troper would have to be Jabrosky. I love how everything he writes is specifically tailored to his fetish.

Oh wait, sorry, I mean "Author Appeal".

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Leofish posted:

I think it was Ambiguatron who said it in the last thread, that tropers don't actually want to write, they want to make comic books and anime shows, but they can't do any of those things, so they "write" because they think it's the easiest part. All they think you need is a word processor, or even a pen and a piece of paper to write (JK Rowling wrote Harry Potter on a napkin, as the story goes!) but they forget that you actually have to work hard at writing and read lots and actually loving write instead of just "world building" all the drat time.
Maybe I've been in the PYF Tumblr thread too long: Tropers just feel like authors, even though they've never actually written anything worth reading, or anything at all. They're transauthor :haw:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Am I the only one here who actually wants Major Tom to finish his magnum opus? I want Endless Conflict to be a complete, fully-formed work among such titans as Dragons: Lexicon Triumvirate and Maradonia and the Seven Bridges. Maybe the guy'll even vanity-publish it so I can have a copy of my own on my bookshelf. :allears:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If Major Tom ever publishes I'll be there, waiting to read.

quote:

Shinji and Warhammer 40k chat
It's a fanfic tropers like, but it's not a troperfic, please refer to the hugeass list of troper works to find out some of the stuff they have (or unpublished unwritten ideas they have)

E: an actual link to the hugeass list

Namtab fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 3, 2013

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Namtab posted:

It's a fanfic tropers like, but it's not a troperfic

Fan Fic: Shinji and Warhammer 40K posted:

Conversational Troping - Characters use terms like Artistic License - Biology, Badass Normal, Authority (Not Necessarily) Equaling Asskicking, or Impossibly Cool Clothes in what are admitted shout-outs to TV Tropes.

Anyone who puts phrases like "Artistic License - Biology" into their characters' mouths is absolutely a troper. :colbert:

e: vvvv Oh, I see. They must have used a tool to automatically change every instance of the name. The fact that this must have happened years ago and nobody ever noticed that that entry made no sense says a lot about how useful these giant lists of things that happened are.

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 3, 2013

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
That was a rename, the trope used to be You Fail Biology Forever. Now why they didn't just keep that name for that specific example to make it not sound even dumber, I don't know. Tropers are worthless people.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

DaveWoo posted:

My favorite Troper would have to be Jabrosky. I love how everything he writes is specifically tailored to his fetish.
Overdue confession time: I actually first ran into him on an unrelated forum before he was on TV Tropes and I was on Something Awful. Everything he posted there was also about black ladies and dinosaurs, but then he made this :stare:-ific thread rhetorically asking why he shouldn't kill himself, and the administrator had to talk him out of it. Linking it is probably out-of-bounds, but I just wanted to mention the single thing I've seen him write that didn't fit that theme. I've always felt kinda uneasy about mocking him because of this; the guy's got serious issues.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 3, 2013

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Fan Fic: Doctor Huh posted:

Describe Doctor Huh?! here.

Well, to put it shortly, Doctor Huh?! is the craziest, gently caress-upiest fanfiction this side of Doctor Who.

The basic plot: Katharina "Rina" Bayley is a perfectly normal 16-year-old with two perfectly normal (if a bit geeky/strange) friends, Jane Doe (whom Rina has known for six years) and John Smith (Rina's crush who's been in the group since highschool started). Well, they're perfectly normal until John and Jane both find certain fobwatches from a certain television show and open them...

Suddenly, Rina finds herself in a world where anything's possible and her two best friends are aliens who hate each other and poo poo is about to get real.

Also, there are Daleks.

A strange fic created by none other than Suki Self-Destruct (who would be Jane) and her trusty friend, Riley the Churro (who would be Rina). Admittedly self-inserty but the pitch was (from Suki to Riley): "What if I was actually the Master, David (John) was actually the Doctor, we found this out and you were stuck in the middle of it all?" This idea came about because Riley & David (which isn't his real name. He just looks like David Tennant) started dating, and everyone makes jokes about David being the Doctor or David Tennant in disguise so Suki started referring to Riley as "the Doctor's companion~!". This is why you should be glad that you aren't Suki's friend.

The first 'book' is titled, well, Doctor Huh?! (written by Suki), with a planned sequel that may or may not be titled Dr. Master (written by the all-knowing Churro).

This Fan Fic exploits the following Tropes for all they're worth...

* Draco in Leather Pants: All though Suki is an admitted Master fangirl, she aims to make "her Master" flawed and hosed-up and generally creepy.
* Les Yay: One-sided from the Master (or Jane). Rina does not want.
* Life Embellished: Ooh, boy.
* Self Insert Fic: But not as bad as it sounds... seriously!!
* Shout Out: Rina says in chapter 2, "Someone set up us the bomb!"
* Someone Set Up Us The Bomb: The Master, to be exact.
* Write Who You Know: Rina is Suki's friend Churro, John is her other friend David, and Jane is Suki herself.

e: I dunno, sounds pretty awesome to me.

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 3, 2013

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

You should probably put that in quotetags and add some kind of opinion on it.

Heres my opinion "It sounds poo poo"

E: Opinion revised to "It sounds poo poo, glad it was just a page for a dude's idea"

Namtab fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 3, 2013

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Lottery of Babylon posted:

e: I dunno, sounds pretty awesome to me.

More like Doctor WHY?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

DStecks posted:

For a second I parsed that as "juggalo story" and I nearly shat my pants with terror.

I think we need more fanfic with juggalo poo poo shoehorned into it. At the very least, they're my favorite "bottom of the barrel" subcultures.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Mabaka: Magic is for Idiots!

The trope page posted:

Mabaka! Magic is for Idiots! is a Web Serial Novel written by veteran Fan Fiction writer, Half Demon Cali, and is her first and major original work. It was first published on September 15th, 2009 on deviantART, and then on Fiction Press two months later, on November 8th. As of chapter 8-2, updates are only posted on Fiction Press. (The Magic for Idiots was the beta title.)

Akemi Segawa is a first year student at Okashii High School, who lives at an old shrine with her father. Her best friend Rie is an occult enthusiast, her Aunt Meiko is a 40-year-old preteen...
I'm done, gently caress this.

E: Actually I'll soldier on.

quote:

and her boyfriend Daisuke is about the only normal character in the entire series so far. If it weren't for them, however, her life would be extremely and utterly dull, since she only thing she really does in her spare time is her chores. So basically, a typical female human Tsundere protagonist.
So far, so anime.

quote:

Then a wizard from another dimension crash lands in her yard and everything goes to hell.

Rokuro is a Type 1 magic student from the second dimensional plane, Mahokkai. Contrary to what Akemi read about wizards being wise and in touch with nature, Rokuro is awkward, lazy, can't think things through to save his life, and can't perform the smallest of spells without something nearby exploding on him. If you're wondering how the hell he ended up in the human world, then read on.
OK, I will read on, oddly informal explanation of the synopsis. (I like how the magic world is just called the japanese for "Magic World". Real cool name.)

quote:

Between space and time, there's a dimensional transport system called the Hakobuttori. It's commonly used by beings who don't have the ability to traverse between worlds at their will. Rokuro accidentally got himself caught in it, and since he doesn't have enough magic to get himself back home, he's now stuck living with Akemi and her father, Shigeru. For a year. While they try to keep him a secret.

Joy!
Joy links to "Hilarity ensues".

quote:

As the chapters progress on, a fairly large and colorful cast is assembled, and each with their own unique quirks to add to the fun. Character development really starts once all the introductions are done, and the amounts of Ship Tease between Akemi and Rokuro are taken to insane amounts for two people who are supposed to have platonic relationship.

There are currently forty chapters published online (1-1 to 16-1). Start here, if you wish. Just be warned that Cali is in the midst of rewriting her earlier chapters and that there will be slight inconsistencies. And word puns. Lots and lots of word puns. With cultural notes at the bottom of each chapter to explain.

A chapter guide is in production here.
Its a loving romcom but with wizards and completely derivative. There, I saved you having to read all of the above.

Tropes include posted:

There's loving tons of tropes so I'm just gonna cherrypick all the stupid ones, I'll also comment on each in bold cause it's quicker than opening and closing quote tags

Accidental Pervert: Rokuro caught sight of a near-naked Akemi, covered only by her underwear and a towel, when he hid in the girl’s locker room. To his credit, though, he didn't know what a locker room was up until then. Magic world really didn't have locker rooms?

Battle Aura: When Shigeru gets mad, or when he thinks Rokuro is being indecent towards his daughter, his aura flares red and purple. Usually accompanied by his Scary Shiny Glasses. I look forward to seeing how this visual cliche plays out in the written world (my guess, about as naturally as EPIC! Oretachi)

Bilingual Bonus: Shigeru is an English tutor, so there's obviously going to be some of this.
Chapter 9-1, Family Issues: Akemi asks for help with translating a couple of sentences into English. Shigeru does this, and then reads it back to her in Japanese. The text for him speaking Japanese is actually italicized Romaji, and in the cultural notes, these same sentences are in kanji. Read: Beginner's japanese, probably some weeaboo buzzwords thrown in. May have honourifics

Cardboard Prison: Rokuro mentions that he was tied to a tree when he was younger, as punishment. And the rope wasn’t even tight. He just forgot to untie himself. :downssad:

Excited Show Title! The trope for when a title has an exclamation mark. Only slightly more useful than the inevitable "Title In English Words" trope

Facepalm: A marvelous, apparently audible one is given by Maruchi towards the end of 14-1 after this exchange:
Maruchi: "Are you seriously telling me that the reason you can't sleep is because you're having wet dreams about the human girl?"
Rokuro: "Why would I be wet? The futon's dry." gently caress off

Fanservice: The author really likes dishing it out when she's not writing. Flat, derivative anime art.

Honorifics: Akemi uses these with nearly everyone. Unless she’s severely pissed off, or exhausted. On the other hand, she herself doesn't like to be referred to as Akemi-san. Oh hey I was right about the honourifics. (The trope entry also goes on to mention the specific honourifics she uses)

Loads and Loads of Characters: Nineteen main characters in all. And that doesn't even cover all of the ones that are going to appear in season one. Books have seasons?

And it goes on...

E2: BONUS! Half Demon Cali's trope page

quote:

In short, a bastard techno-freak with a Hair-Trigger Temper and a colorful vocabulary.

Cali is widely known as a fan of Japanese culture (Anime included) and of sharp weaponry. A friend at school usually supplies her with pocket knives, shuriken, and other things that can fit in a backpack without being noticed - Sometimes, even things that can't fit into a backpack. At eighteen years old, she's more worried about being tried as an adult than anything else.

She is set off by even minor things, and she can be fierce in retaliation; if she's quiet, she's plotting. If she's not, then beware of flying textbooks.

Cali has extreme tomboy-ish qualities that make it hard to tell which gender group she actually belongs to. As noted by a friend, he "didn't know what [she] was until the school field trip where the rooms were segregated".

Also, don't ask her if she wears panties when within talking distance.

Even with her bad qualities, Cali is fiercely loyal to those she considers friends, and will defend them (Vocally or physically) whenever they need it. She shows her love via punching, kicking, picking on, and sometimes verbal assault, but it's just her way of caring since the idea of "love" is fairly foreign to her.
She sounds like one of life's winners alright.

Namtab fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 3, 2013

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
""""Original"""" fiction.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Things half demon cali hates

quote:

-Idiots. Holy crap. No. I am surrounded by about 1,600 of these every day in school, I don't need any other nuisances bothering me when I just want to be left the gently caress alone.
-Teenage girls. Most of them, anyway. I'm sorry, but I don't understand why they have to constantly put on make-up, why they obsess over good-looking guys, why they fangirl squeal at every boyband and girl singer (I'm looking at you, Justin Bieber), why they get squicked out at the sight of blood, why they have to be so self-concious about their looks, and why they're generally huge bitches.
-This one girl named Alyssa C. Man, that is the first person I've ever thought about seriously murdering, and have actually tried to do it. It was a failed attempt, but I tried to poison her by putting bleach in her water bottle. Still continuously dream up new and creative ways to murder the bitch.
:stare:

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Namtab posted:

Things half demon cali hates

:stare:

"I hate idiots! Now let me tell literally anyone reading this, including law enforcement, about that one time I tried to poison someone to death"

(I'm assuming that actually she's just intensely antisocial but most of the poo poo posted is dumb power fantasies and she's actually super passive, or it's someone who's nothing like this posting as a character. Even so...)

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Namtab posted:

"I don't understand why they have to constantly put on make-up, why they obsess over good-looking guys,"

Ignoring the obvious crazy because I'm assuming she's making poo poo up to seem edgy and dangerous, here's a loving mystery for the ages.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Ignoring the obvious crazy because I'm assuming she's making poo poo up to seem edgy and dangerous, here's a loving mystery for the ages.

She's so bravely asexual that the mere existence of sexual attractions is an enigma to her. Best Asexual Ever.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

The 1000 Ways Ways To Die page posted:

Unfortunate Things Said Outright: The story of the Neanderthal who killed himself from smoke inhalation after creating fire to spite his cave girl who spent her days sitting around, thinking of things to complain about to her husband. While that stereotype is true to a point, the show writers could have shown some restraint and not outright say that.

:psyduck:

This loving website.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

WickedHate posted:

:psyduck:

This loving website.

Aw yes, the famous "Suicidal Caveman" stereotype.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

I went to the Endless Conflict page, and I know I shouldn't have.

I guess there's consolation in knowing that 90% of the people in Endless Conflict won't suffer for very long. Unless they're Anzan, I guess.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Woah, a work of fiction where unnamed characters die. Truly Major Tom is an innovator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Namtab posted:

She sounds like

a high school girl, probably in the drama club, trying to figure out what makes people interesting. Give her time, she'll either dial it way down or graduate to a tumblr superstar.

• Locked thread