Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

sirtommygunn posted:

It would have been poetic justice if someone had just knocked the balance mixture off the table and then force-fed her the other two vials. Since this is Worm, the power would have done absolutely nothing to save them, but still.

Svetla choosing Doctor Mother as her target for the reasons she did is it's own form of poetic justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Lprsti99 posted:

I think I'll try to read this again.

It's definitely not the easiest thing to get into, but I found it incredibly rewarding. There were many, many scenes where I couldn't control my reactions and found myself swearing out loud, giggling maniacally (if not outright cackling), or jumping up and down over what had happened in the books. The Malazan series also has some of the most :black101: elements of any series I can recall. To wit: a sword that doesn't just kill you, but eats your soul and chains you to a wagon that must be pulled eternally lest it be annihilated by the physical essence of chaos. Also, your soul eventually withers to the point where you can pull no longer, after which the other souls throw you onto the wagon -- on top of the massive pile of souls that previously became too weak to pull.

It also has the "it can always get worse" motif in common with Worm.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

So, what are the odds at this point that Worm ends with all the Earths exploding?

I'm holding out for the Travelers to arrive again from Aleph at some point. For all the talk of alternate Earths at this point Aleph has been pretty blatantly left out.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

hollylolly posted:

So, what are the odds at this point that Worm ends with all the Earths exploding?

Not likely, since we know for certain there will be survivors, because they'd be getting Interludes.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

hollylolly posted:

I'm holding out for the Travelers to arrive again from Aleph at some point. For all the talk of alternate Earths at this point Aleph has been pretty blatantly left out.

Aleph also has a really small concentration of powers, though, doesn't it?

Cytokinesis
Aug 18, 2008

He sees the power of a god behind it. A power that has bested him!

Grundulum posted:

Thread title change request:
Worm: You ain't seen poo poo yet. It can always get worse

If someone can tell me who I need to go to to get the title changed I'll get a new one, but no one has answered yet.

Cytokinesis fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 4, 2013

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Cytokinesis posted:

If someone can tell me who I need to go to to get the title changed I'll get a new one, but no one has answered yet.

I'm pretty sure you just need to PM a mod?

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Grundulum posted:

Thread title change request:
Worm: You ain't seen poo poo yet. It can always get worse

I keep trying to get my friends to read this, and they keep having other things to do/read. It's eating at me like Malazan did not being able to share the :stare: with people in real life.

(There really needs to be a growing :stare: animation like the one for psyduck. 30x30 pixels just isn't enough.)

I have yet to convince any of my friends to read Malazan. Maybe this is a good free crack sample for them...Hmmmm..

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Looks like Taylor's second trigger only gave her more control and more sensory input than her power would have normally given, based on a comment Wildbow just made. A little boring, but it seems like her power would have really been just awful garbage otherwise.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
29.7 Welp, it looks like Taylor's been crippled... again. It's kinda neat how that isn't treated like a particularly big deal. At this point, having her arm crushed isn't even in her top three medical emergencies. Why did her ball break, anyway.

Also, Dr. Mom might not be dead. In fact, if her powers kick in, she'll probably heal back to full HP.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

29.7 Welp, it looks like Taylor's been crippled... again. It's kinda neat how that isn't treated like a particularly big deal. At this point, having her arm crushed isn't even in her top three medical emergencies. Why did her ball break, anyway.
It was shattered along with all the glass by Scion, that's also why Dr's vial blew up in her hand before she could drink it.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Algid posted:

It was shattered along with all the glass by Scion, that's also why Dr's vial blew up in her hand before she could drink it.

Shatterbird power spotted!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man Worm utterly steals the show in this thread :v:

I should to get around to reading that other thing that was suggested.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Tollymain posted:

Man Worm utterly steals the show in this thread :v:

I should to get around to reading that other thing that was suggested.

There was another thing? Serial wise anyway. The only other i remember at the moment is a book series.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Blinks77 posted:

There was another thing? Serial wise anyway. The only other i remember at the moment is a book series.

I think he's talking about Ra. It's pretty good but no where near as long as Worm. Worm is like ten books, Ra is like a quarter of a book.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

hollylolly posted:

I think he's talking about Ra. It's pretty good but no where near as long as Worm. Worm is like ten books, Ra is like a quarter of a book.

To be fair to the author of Ra though. Trying to keep up with Wildbow's writing rate is surely a recipe to go insane.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Venom 29.8 seems like the current idea now is to use his emotions against him, crush his will to continue the fight. Can't do real harm to his body, well how about attack the emotions the idiot gave himself.

I'm also really wondering what went on with the partner now. It sounds like the thing was alive when Doctor Mother started, so either it was disabled somehow, or it was willing.

So at this point it looks like either the second Entity changed it's plan, and that plan involved keeping the Scion entity in the dark, or the third entity pulled some big time sabotage. If the third entity did Sabotage things then chances are good that the Simurgh and the other Endbringers are parts of the third entity.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Hit him with the chunks of his wife, and then HAMMER him with the biggest lump of steel ever. Low blow, but I dare say that took more out of him than the entire fighting short of Eidolon did.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
29.8 Looks like I was wrong about Doc Mama.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

29.8 Looks like I was wrong about Doc Mama.

Yeah, having one's remains described in detail using the phrases "severing ... in half" or "if any part ... had still been alive" does preclude being reintroduced to the story by anyone short of Bonesaw. I don't think even Panacea could do anything at that point.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I must have missed the discussion of Doctor Mother's remains, but it serves her the gently caress right.

I also WISH I'd written it down at the time, but I totally called that the giant column of steel would get dropped on Scion the minute he showed up in the facility. It was too good a gun not to go off.

Did Sveta make it?

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

thespaceinvader posted:

Did Sveta make it?

29.8I hope so, but I doubt that she could take cover with the rest of the group without killing anyone.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
To be fair, she seems to be more-or-less invulnerable; she can probably survive having a massive steel column dropped on her.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, strength of that kind of magnitude generally (not always, but the exceptions prove the rule, as they say) requires equal amounts of toughness.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Ra update 20, Protaganism, is out. Don't jump into Ra at the most recent update, start from the beginning.

DudeOnCrack
Jul 22, 2003
I don't see how dropping that column on Scion one time could possibly do more damage than the way the Siberian tore through him, or how it could could qualify as a distraction comparatively.

DudeOnCrack fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Oct 6, 2013

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

DudeOnCrack posted:

I don't see how dropping that column on Scion one time could possibly do more damage than the way the Siberian tore through him, or how it could could qualify as a distraction comparatively.

Because his defenses are entirely down, he doesn't cut off the connection after taking damage, so is actually capable of taking multiple bodies worth of damage at once.

DudeOnCrack
Jul 22, 2003

veekie posted:

Because his defenses are entirely down, he doesn't cut off the connection after taking damage, so is actually capable of taking multiple bodies worth of damage at once.

Except he didn't seem to give a poo poo when the Siberian was literally standing in him doing exactly that. And I don't think a steel column(as big as it is) is gonna do the kind of damage the Siberian can against Scion.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

DudeOnCrack posted:

Except he didn't seem to give a poo poo when the Siberian was literally standing in him doing exactly that. And I don't think a steel column(as big as it is) is gonna do the kind of damage the Siberian can against Scion.

You're ignoring both the fact that they pelted him with his 'wife's' dead body, leaving him stunned at the pure hosed-up-ness of it, plus, as was mentioned, he can't quite think straight/use his precog abilities as well near the Case 53's (Sveta), as well as apparently when he's near his counterpart.

At least, that's what I took from it.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
With the way the 'Well' works, what happens is that Scion can negate any attack he sees coming(meaning any natural triggered powers are already out), and he can take at most, one body-mass worth of damage, since he can close the connection to limit the extent. He's not super-dense, so much as his body is simultaneously enormous and human sized, so you can damage the whole body at once, unless he's paying attention and isolates the avatar you're fighting.

Siberian did massive damage to his avatar, but it was only one body's worth of damage each time. And he was distracted by the Cauldron vials at that.

Grouchy Fish
Aug 24, 2006
So what you're saying is that them dropping the column on Scion when his defenses were down was like dropping it on the entirety of his actual body? Cuz if so... then yeah that seems like a lot of damage.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
That's what I got out of the description of how the main body and avatar seems to work. The avatar isn't just a projection or appendage, it's simultaneously the whole body and a part which can be isolated. It explains why Scion didn't want to take a hit from Foil, presumably her power would let her hit the main body even if he closed the connection.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Grouchy Fish posted:

So what you're saying is that them dropping the column on Scion when his defenses were down was like dropping it on the entirety of his actual body? Cuz if so... then yeah that seems like a lot of damage.

Not so much the "whole" thing as just more of it than normal, before he recovered enough to close the connection/adapt to what he was getting hit with. Much more important than just hurting him tho, he also created an escape rout for Taylor and her group as a result of the whole "attack".

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't know how Wildbow is going to wrap things up in time it only goes to 30 arcs. There are a number of threads that would still be dangling even if they took care of Scion.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

TOOT BOOT posted:

I don't know how Wildbow is going to wrap things up in time it only goes to 30 arcs. There are a number of threads that would still be dangling even if they took care of Scion.

Yeah. The big ones being the three entities (the whole Zion thing is included here), Teacher's plan(s), The Simurgh's goal, Glaistig Uaine's vision/prophecy.

NecroMonster fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 7, 2013

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Well, Wildbow is on the record saying that the Sleeper will be dealt with in a sequel, so we might not see everything wrapped up with a bow and stuff.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

NecroMonster posted:

Yeah. The big ones being the three entities (the whole Zion thing is included here), Teacher's plan(s), The Simurgh's goal, Glaistig Uaine's vision/prophecy.

Also, the Dragon subplot, hopefully some wrap-up for Jack since he exited the stage so quickly, origin of the Endbringers maybe, closure for Bonesaw.

I don't know how likely it is, but I'd like to see Amy fix Victoria if the latter is still alive. Maybe that could be Bonesaw's redemption.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Grundulum posted:

Well, Wildbow is on the record saying that the Sleeper will be dealt with in a sequel, so we might not see everything wrapped up with a bow and stuff.

Right but the Sleeper was never really a subplot to begin with, just a tidbit.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

TOOT BOOT posted:

Also, the Dragon subplot, hopefully some wrap-up for Jack since he exited the stage so quickly, origin of the Endbringers maybe, closure for Bonesaw.

I don't know how likely it is, but I'd like to see Amy fix Victoria if the latter is still alive. Maybe that could be Bonesaw's redemption.

Sorry I was including Dragon in the Teacher stuff and the Endbringers in the Simurgh stuff, since they are so heavily related to each other at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
30 arcs was only ever an estimate. If I remember right wildbow said it would probably end around 30 arcs or the end of the year. He could add a couple more. Or there could be a bunch of interludes after the "end" of worm to wrap up all the Taylor adjacent plot threads.

• Locked thread