Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
The US has produced some of the best looking jets but there is something that does not look right with the F-35's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Limp Wristed Limey posted:

The US has produced some of the best looking jets but there is something that does not look right with the F-35's.

Did they leave the price tag on it?

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Thump! posted:

Did they leave the price tag on it?

It is to do with STOVL, needing to have center of mass/center of thrust packed in tight like that results in a stupid fat looking airplane that doesn't fly well. Cost of doing business, if you want a jet that will do that thing, it is going to be expensive, slow, and suck, but at least you only have to buy enough to shut the marines up, or fill up a baby-sized european carrier.

Except with the F-35 Commonality dictates that we got THREE stupid fat looking airplanes that don't fly very well, rather than just one.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
I think it's more of the way the lo coatings on all the doors just looks wierd. A lot different than the F-22. Why is that, does the F-35 use a different kind (cheaper) method?

Also, I think it looks a little off because it's clean. No pylons to dirty the lines up.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The F-35 looks like poo poo. There's no way anyone would confuse it for a graceful looking aircraft. It looks like a stubby turkey.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Its kinda fat.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Baloogan posted:

Its kinda fat.

No fat-shaming please, 'curvy'

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Some of my best friends are black fat.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
From some angles it looks kinda sexy but the area around the lift fan makes it look weirdly bulky with straight lines where they should be tapered and curved.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

The Dirty Brigade

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Limp Wristed Limey posted:

The F16 and the F/A-18 are two of the best looking jets ever :spergin::fh:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
The F-16 is literally erotic.

Then she got fat in her old age

Still hot as gently caress though, just not as hot as she was when she was younger.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Baloogan posted:

That graceless flat panel along the side of the fuselage between the trailing edge of the wing and the leading edge of the elevators has always bothered me, especially in contrast with the leading edge/chines. Although I'm sure it doesn't impact performance, you can see the hand of CAD in the shape.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 4, 2013

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Baloogan posted:

When talk of planes goes in this direction, I feel like some goon is going to drunk-confess to jerking off to those anime plane-girls. ^______^

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
It's those cute little flaws that keep a guy interested.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Oxford Comma posted:

When talk of planes goes in this direction, I feel like some goon is going to drunk-confess to jerking off to those anime plane-girls. ^______^

Pitch mostly posts in TFR.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=50950

Balls of steel

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:stare:

Makes you wonder what modern pilots would do if ejection seats didn't exist.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Rude. posted:

The Dirty Brigade

what is the dirty brigade is that your airsoft cliche

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Reverand maynard posted:

They look like cops of some sort.

Or the bad guys from Call of Duty MW2:

edit: Nope, nevermind. Iraqi Special Forces.

Thump! fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 4, 2013

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The F-35's canopy swings forward? :monocle:

Fake edit: Oh, cool, AVG freaked out on the post reply page. Probably the banner ad, I guess.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

I can't believe the pilot walked away from that.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Thump! posted:

They look like cops of some sort.

Or the bad guys from Call of Duty MW2:

edit: Nope, nevermind. Iraqi Special Forces.

Ghost :smith:

These are fuckin' amazing.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

A tailhook 'mishap'.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST

Tremblay posted:

Have there been any updates on civilian sales or has all that been completely canceled. I'd buy the diesel one for sure.

It was sold to India a couple years back and they were supposed to develop them and bring them to market. I'm not holding my breath but if they do come out I'm buying one instantly.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ded posted:

A tailhook 'mishap'.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Reverand maynard posted:

Iraqi Special Operations Forces. Must look like airsoft though, if you're a blind idiot.

quote:

At Haidar's funeral, Fathil asked Rajdi to testify. "You are a representative of the government, and you saw it all happen," he told the major. "You saw that he didn't have a weapon in his hand." Fathil says the major declined. "This is the dirty brigade," he recalls Rajdi saying. "We are afraid of them. When we see them, we retreat. If I testify against them, I'll be killed the next day. They kill and no one will hold them accountable, because they belong to the Americans."

http://www.thenation.com/article/iraqs-new-death-squad?page=0,0

MeatForBones
Jul 9, 2012

Godholio posted:

That thing looks cool as gently caress. How prevalent is detection by radar, though? If they're trying to defeat aerial systems, I'm questioning the value of even bothering...the cost of RAM-coated armor, even in mass-produced/modular/easily replaceable panels is probably prohibitive if the radar-defeating characteristics are well-designed. Going the easier route of spraying RAM over the armor panels would make it much more affordable but less likely to be useful, at least against powerful look-down radar sets.

Kind of got the impression they were going for this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlLqdFsMnCE kind of deal so protection from FLIR and the likes. Although they don't seem to have the same ability to write stuff on the side of theirs.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Big Dog is out. Wild Cat is in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE3fmFTtP9g

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Can't wait for mounted police to get these to replace their local horses

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
They need to ditch that 2-cycle and get a better (quieter) generator. Yamaha and Honda make some really awesome and super-quiet generators.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

grover posted:

They need to ditch that 2-cycle and get a better (quieter) generator. Yamaha and Honda make some really awesome and super-quiet generators.

Boston Dynamics does not give a gently caress about the power source right now. They're trying to make sure it can walk properly before they worry about making it quiet.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Plus, I imagine the videos of the quiet one won't get posted to youtube.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
A gas turbine would probably be the quietest option.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
:swoon:

bloops fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 4, 2013

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
The A-7 and F-8 are just so loving beautiful

also:

Booblord Zagats fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 4, 2013

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I'm confused because the phrase erotic was used in the context of aircraft and then people talked about a lawn dart instead of the stunning F-15

:colbert:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I'm confused because the phrase erotic was used in the context of aircraft and then people talked about a lawn dart instead of the stunning F-15

You're crazy man. The A-7 is a flat out mean-looking, scrappy as gently caress jet. It's the best.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Its an era thing. I grew up in a house with my dad's pictures of him servicing A-4s, F-8s with plenty of A-7s in the back ground. Those are what jets are supposed to look like in my house. The F-15 just looks 80s as gently caress to me, like a flying IROC-Z, while the F-8 is the more classic Smokey and the Bandit era Trans-Am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

holocaust bloopers posted:

You're crazy man. The A-7 is a flat out mean-looking, scrappy as gently caress jet. It's the best.

It'll the best when there aren't any F-8s or A-4s left on the planet. So, roughly never.

• Locked thread