Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Learning about carbs is a pain in the rear end but if you take the time to figure them out and how to clean them and set them up they are pretty reliable.
You can't leave them sit for years and then just start them up like an EFI bike but we should be glad of that otherwise half of us wouldn't have gotten our first bike for dirt cheap.
I've gone well over 100K miles on a few different carbed bikes and (after the initial PO unfucking/improper storage de-gunking and setting up) haven't ever had to have them off for maintenance. Really outside of people who don't know what they're doing going in and loving things up the biggest reason people have carb trouble is improper storage (which leads to a whole hell of a lot of the first issue).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I converted my car to fuel injection and own a carbureted bike. I will say unbiased that both run equally well when working but price-per-repair carbs require a hell of a lot more money to run right.

With EFI I can weld a wideband O2 bung to my header/exhaust and tune via a computer. With a carb I can do the same but I have to take off the carbs and use all new gaskets to ensure my AFR isn't altered due to chaos-theory-level ambience from the depreciation of parts consistently exposed to elements and ethanol-based fuel. The only cost to tuning via EFI is my own time dedicated to research and tweaking. With carbs, there's no avoiding sinking money into them if you want them to run as well as EFI. Self-correcting fuel systems are the set-it-and-forget-it of automotive insanity.

This is barring the costs of adding a crank/spark sensor, tricked ECU, injectors, and what have you. :smithicide:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
60 bucks a gasket is loving insane-o pricing. You could probably buy 2-3 sets of carbs and assemble all the parts you need out of them for half that. But if they'll do the job right, sometimes it's easier to just throw money at it.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

It's $60 per float rebuild kit, so it's not that bad. It's also the cheapest non-"aftermarket" I could find online. The guys basically said they would do the needle jets without the kit if I wanted but every motor they've worked on required at least one new gasket if they haven't been open in a few years of questionable history. They said the labor wouldn't be any more expensive than the current job either, just they'd want to do it as a precaution if they were to tune the bike.

I brought up buying several carbs and cannibalizing them but they said that there's no way the carbs would have parts in the working order necessary for it since every part on my carbs that would need replacement are the parts that go out the quickest due to the aforementioned downsides of carb design. But hey, high-tuned engine needs high-tuned care, I guess. I'm just gonna be happy to start commuting by bike again. Gotta get my 13 minute car commute down to 5 by bike. :madmax:

ps I MISS YOU

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Xovaan posted:

It's $60 per float rebuild kit, so it's not that bad. It's also the cheapest non-"aftermarket" I could find online. The guys basically said they would do the needle jets without the kit if I wanted but every motor they've worked on required at least one new gasket if they haven't been open in a few years of questionable history. They said the labor wouldn't be any more expensive than the current job either, just they'd want to do it as a precaution if they were to tune the bike.

I brought up buying several carbs and cannibalizing them but they said that there's no way the carbs would have parts in the working order necessary for it since every part on my carbs that would need replacement are the parts that go out the quickest due to the aforementioned downsides of carb design. But hey, high-tuned engine needs high-tuned care, I guess. I'm just gonna be happy to start commuting by bike again. Gotta get my 13 minute car commute down to 5 by bike. :madmax:

ps I MISS YOU

What bike/carbs do you have that the emulsion tube shits the bed? Looking at that picture you posted earlier, the wear pattern would be on the main jet on my carbs. Main jets are cheap as gently caress, and easy to swap, but that may just be a function of Mikuni VMs.

VMs are finicky to tune, but once they dial in, I like them. They also can be restored from pretty much any state of decay, so I find trashed sets on eBay for pretty cheap, cannibalize them fro spare parts, etc. Unless a body has a broken choke tube or a really badly blocked pilot fuel passage (which is hard to access, pinpoint tiny, and frequently eats brass fuel screw tips), you only need o-rings and gaskets to rebuild them.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
What is a float rebuild kit? Are you just talking a new set of floats? These are not a part of the carb that needs super tight tolerances just buy the cheap aftermarket poo poo. I can see only buying name brand needles/jets/etc that need to have very close manufacturing tolerances but floats are just blobs of plastic.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

It's the actual gaskets and o-rings that surround the float needles and floats.

I have an '01 Bandit 1200. It's not the emulsion tubes themselves that wear-- it's the "jet needle", which is the assembly/hole area above them that the "needle jet" rests against.

If my bike were stock, I'd just do the rebuild myself (I've done it on a Ninja 250 and Virago so far with great success-- except the Virago was still a Virago 750 afterward) but given the nature of a larger jet kit and bore and different cams, there's no way I'd get it running better than a race tuning shop would. If I'm already dropping this much coin, I'll just eat another two or three hours of shop labor to have a bike that I am positive will run perfectly for a long time.

Then I can finally put this 20w-50 oil my bike really should be running without worrying about burning a quart of unicorn blood every 400 miles. :saddowns:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Somebody took the bolts for my headlamp, (and only the bolts for my headlamp :iiam:) so I had to come up with something stopgap until I can get replacements.

Yeah I think that'll work.

Also ran seafoam through the engine and that seemed to fix my low gear power problems, so hooray.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Xovaan posted:

It's the actual gaskets and o-rings that surround the float needles and floats.

I have an '01 Bandit 1200. It's not the emulsion tubes themselves that wear-- it's the "jet needle", which is the assembly/hole area above them that the "needle jet" rests against.

If my bike were stock, I'd just do the rebuild myself (I've done it on a Ninja 250 and Virago so far with great success-- except the Virago was still a Virago 750 afterward) but given the nature of a larger jet kit and bore and different cams, there's no way I'd get it running better than a race tuning shop would. If I'm already dropping this much coin, I'll just eat another two or three hours of shop labor to have a bike that I am positive will run perfectly for a long time.

Then I can finally put this 20w-50 oil my bike really should be running without worrying about burning a quart of unicorn blood every 400 miles. :saddowns:

Wouldn't something like this solve your gasket issues?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/01-06-SUZUKI-GSF1200-BANDIT-NEW-K-L-CARB-CARBURETOR-REBUILD-KIT-18-5082-/370866079769

Isn't the bike running now? What is there to get running after you fix the carbs? Can't you just match settings?

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

n8r posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/01-06-SUZUKI-GSF1200-BANDIT-NEW-K-L-CARB-CARBURETOR-REBUILD-KIT-18-5082-/370866079769

Isn't the bike running now? What is there to get running after you fix the carbs? Can't you just match settings?

I looked through his fiche, and cannot tell which part suffers these oblong wear.

I think it's 12 or 13. Even then, I don't follow how distortion at that point would have such an effect on fuel mixture, since the (easily replaced) main jet (#15) and actual needle (#9) take most of the abuse. I suppose at WOT the needle is clear of the main, but how would mid-throttle be rich in a way that a fresh needle and/or main jet doesn't fix?

Of course, CV carbs frighten and confuse me. Mechanical slide supremacy, etc.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

#13 - the needle jet is the item that could theoretically oval out with the needle bouncing around. I'd wager it take a lot of miles for that to happen.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

n8r posted:

#13 - the needle jet is the item that could theoretically oval out with the needle bouncing around. I'd wager it take a lot of miles for that to happen.

Wouldn't #12 and #15 take the brunt of that wear, though?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

n8r posted:

It would, but they specifically said they wanted OEM and I'm okay eating at home for a week to balance out the cost since there's nothing I can really do about it.

The bike runs now, but it's pig-rich and getting about 30mpg city and burns metric fucktons of oil due to the aforementioned problems. After this, the only thing to do is get a GSXR1100 steel basket clutch because otherwise I'm going to eat through stock Bandit clutches like crazy when I get all of my lost power back.

Unfortunately, I do not know the bike ran like after being tuned with the still-functioning jet kit, so any attempt at matching original values would be a shot in the dark. Part of them installing it is tuning it with a wideband until it's right which is a peace of mind I'd love to have.

n8r posted:

I believe it's actually #12 (and the o-ring between it and the emulsion tube)-- on the '01 Bandits it's two parts (which is good, because that tube is way more expensive)

The reason it's a big deal is because that added area causes a lot of fuel to dump into the engine when you want to do a GoFast. A new needle or main jet may remedy the issue, but does not fix the other half of the problem.

I just want a 100% running bike again. After this I'm sticking with fuel injection. :negative:

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Xovaan posted:

I believe it's actually #12 (and the o-ring between it and the emulsion tube)-- on the '01 Bandits it's two parts (which is good, because that tube is way more expensive)

Actually on Alpha-Sports, #12 is $37.00 and #13 is $27. Pricey of course (and never buy parts from Alpha because they charge way too much).

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

How could a carb issue cause the bike to burn oil? Are you sure something else isn't the issue? How did you come to the conclusion that those two parts were the ones causing the problem?

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

n8r posted:

How could a carb issue cause the bike to burn oil? Are you sure something else isn't the issue? How did you come to the conclusion that those two parts were the ones causing the problem?

Running super rich would consume oil, since the excess fuel washes the oil from the cylinder walls. Not sure how much oil he'd lose that way though.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Yeah, I was running rich and I had the bike on the gas analysis machine to figure out when my rich condition was occurring. We took off the tops of the carbs and saw the hole was ovaled and he was 100% certain that this was the cause of the problem.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Tamir Lenk posted:

Running super rich would consume oil, since the excess fuel washes the oil from the cylinder walls. Not sure how much oil he'd lose that way though.

Yeah when I fixed my fueling from super rich to close to stoich, I easily halved my oil consumption.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Xovaan posted:

ps I MISS YOU

I miss you too buddy :3:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Part of the reason I got my ninja relatively cheaply is because, in addition to his general ignorance, the PO had attempted to resolve the notorious wheelie nose problem and failed. He seemed to think it was basically unfixable without buying a new ram air duct. He was wrong.

This is my ugly, temporary but extremely effective fix. I'll make up some proper brackets eventually but for now I'm enjoying having working mirrors, a readable instrument cluster and a bike that doesn't do a flipper impersonation on every bump.

Droopy droop nose

Fixed with a 20 dollar trip to the hardware store and an hour of time. You can just see the PO's failed attempt at a fix where he used 1.5mm alloy and just put the stress back in the exact same place. Surprise, surprise; the alloy tore like paper just like the plastic does on a factory bike.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008
Today, I stripped out one of the Torx bolts holding the rear brake disc on, I tried torching it, hammering it, even using an easy out, and it isn't budging an inch, the head is completely stripped now, and the only option looks to be cutting it, unless someone here has some brilliant idea on removing stuck bolts on a Buell

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Halo_4am posted:

This morning is 2 months later and the light fell off. I got stuck in some hardcore rains between then and now so that may have had something to do with it.

The unit surprisingly still works and all that happened was the license plate getting bent to poo poo. Time to find somebody local with a TIG welder. Was very much hoping this would hold out until winter and I'd have all kinds of time to do it myself. Reminder to self: do not cut corners, and since you can't help but cut corners during riding season... do not perform significant modifications during the riding season.

V-Max subfender. Now with more welds!

The tabs are from the stock bracket. Cut, bent, and welded on. It's not pretty, but fortunately it's not visible to anything but the rear tire so I don't care. Sort of looks like a headcrab.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I let my parking light on overnight last friday. Roadside assistance helped me out in the morning and a nice man with some cables in the afternoon.

Does anyone know what voltage my battery needs to be at to still be good?

P.S. you can't bumpstart an efi bike. Fyi. :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ya you can you just need to have enough power to run the pump and injectors. Disconnecting the headlight helps in a pinch.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
If it sits at less than 12 after charging things won't be looking up for that battery.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

ReverendCode posted:

Today, I stripped out one of the Torx bolts holding the rear brake disc on, I tried torching it, hammering it, even using an easy out, and it isn't budging an inch, the head is completely stripped now, and the only option looks to be cutting it, unless someone here has some brilliant idea on removing stuck bolts on a Buell

Penetrating oil - soak for a few hours.

Can you cut a slot across the head to get a fat flathead in position? If so, soak in p-oil for awhile, then see if your impact driver with a flat head doesn't work.

If that fails, get some lefty drill bits and a centerpunch, and drill that bitch out. Start with a smallish bit and work your way up in size.

HTH

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Geirskogul posted:

If it sits at less than 12 after charging things won't be looking up for that battery.

Thanks!

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Z3n posted:

Ya you can you just need to have enough power to run the pump and injectors. Disconnecting the headlight helps in a pinch.

That or a solid squirt of ether starter spray in the intake and force the fucker to start by comperssion :whip:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Sir Cornelius posted:

That or a solid squirt of ether starter spray in the intake and force the fucker to start by comperssion :whip:

Good old piston-killer.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
After months of owning the bandit I finally changed the mirrors.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Geirskogul posted:

Good old piston-killer.

Urban legends.

KARMA! posted:

After months of owning the bandit I finally changed the mirrors.

Sir Cornelius fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 6, 2013

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
You're right. Ether has a much more explosive...explosion than gasoline (gasoline has a very slow explosive front speed) and I should say it's more of a bearing-killer.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Geirskogul posted:

You're right. Ether has a much more explosive...explosion than gasoline (gasoline has a very slow explosive front speed) and I should say it's more of a bearing-killer.

You seem to know what you're talking about regarding exploding explosives. Disregard everything I've ever said and listen to professor Geirskogul.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Sorry, I was playing KSP while posting in a second window and I didn't really care much at the time about your bullshit. Diethyl ether's flame front speed is around 300cm/s, wheras a stoichiometric gasoline/air explosion's is around 50cm/s. This is very fast, and can cause a bit of bucking and knocking. Combine that with how diethyl ether, propane, and butane (the main components of "starting fluid") are all very good at washing lubrication off of the cylinder walls and anything else associated (sometimes the piston pin, etc if you use too much) means bad news if it is abused. On an engine that already needs the use of starting fluid, this can mean broken rings or bent rods if something binds. It can also wash away any oil on the cylinder walls, possibly lowering compression (if it is on an aged engine that has a much higher wet compression than dry due to wear), causing even more problems.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 6, 2013

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Geirskogul posted:

Sorry, I was playing KSP while posting in a second window and I didn't really care much at the time about your bullshit. Diethyl ether's flame front speed is around 300cm/s, wheras a stoichiometric gasoline/air explosion's is around 50cm/s. This is very fast, and can cause a bit of bucking and knocking. Combine that with how diethyl ether, propane, and butane (the main components of "starting fluid") are all very good at washing lubrication off of the cylinder walls and anything else associated (sometimes the piston pin, etc if you use too much) means bad news if it is abused. On an engine that already needs the use of starting fluid, this can mean broken rings or bent rods if something binds. It can also wash away any oil on the cylinder walls, possibly lowering compression (if it is on an aged engine that has a much higher wet compression than dry due to wear), causing even more problems.

I didn't suggest you run on ether as your main fuel. To bump-start an EFI bike with a dead battery, it'll work without throwing any pistons through your head. Anyway, now people have my suggestion and your warning.

tjones
May 13, 2005
My bike has a GYTR slip-on that the PO installed.

While I don't dislike the pipe, I don't love it either. I'd like to replace it, but I want to eventually swap to a full exhaust system and can't justify spending the money right now.

I've been planning on painting my rearsets and kickstand in the coming months. A few days ago I got the idea of painting the pipe to color match my bike. After work today I went and picked up some high temp matte black rattle cans and got to work.

I put two coats on it before leaving it to dry. I plan on adding a few more coats tomorrow and replacing the bolts with black ones.

Here's hoping the thing doesn't look like complete rear end.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Did you forget to add an 'after' pic?

tjones
May 13, 2005

Snowdens Secret posted:

Did you forget to add an 'after' pic?

Haven't taken an after yet. It is still taped up and was left hanging to dry overnight.

I'll post once I recoat it and reassemble the can.

EDIT:

I've looked all over for any type of black flat washers and every hardware store has only zinc. So I decided to sand down the old ones and paint those as well.

I think it came out alright and I like it more than I did. I'll paint the mounting bracket when I take off my rearsets to be powder coated.

tjones fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 8, 2013

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Removed the rear wheel!

Got the tire off!
Image forthcoming.

Edit: two space heaters were not meant to run on the same 15A circuit.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Sir Cornelius posted:

I didn't suggest you run on ether as your main fuel. To bump-start an EFI bike with a dead battery, it'll work without throwing any pistons through your head. Anyway, now people have my suggestion and your warning.

Just to be clear, this all means I can get rid of my battery and starter and just use the ether and lighter I already carry around to start my bike?