Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
The Cameron and bread connection is probably riffing on his breadmaker revelation.

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on David Cameron's Conservative party conference speech - Prime minister says those not 'earning or learning' could lose housing benefit and jobseekers allowance" After The Mission (I think).

Telegraph:

Independent:

Express:

:fuckoff:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Cloud Potato posted:

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on David Cameron's Conservative party conference speech - Prime minister says those not 'earning or learning' could lose housing benefit and jobseekers allowance" After The Mission (I think).
With the addition of one of Manchester's lovely canals, it looks like. Does make the waterfall rather problematic though.

quote:

Telegraph:
Gay Marriage = Bad Thing, in case you forgot.

quote:

Express:

:fuckoff:
What the gently caress is his problem with black hair? Or with women in general for that matter, they all have those horrible gummy rictus grins.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Here's video of Bell at the conference. I enjoy watching him talk as much as I do his cartoons.

Clapham Omnibus
Nov 11, 2006

Kegluneq posted:

What the gently caress is his problem with black hair? Or with women in general for that matter, they all have those horrible gummy rictus grins.

Maybe the rictus grin is because she is casting no shadow and therefore a vampire.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Every time I see Express guy's Cameron it takes me a second or two to remember that this generic man in suit is supposed to be call-me-Dave. Why is it so bad? His Milliband, while still terrible, is at least recognisable.

ScipioAfro
Feb 21, 2011

marktheando posted:

Every time I see Express guy's Cameron it takes me a second or two to remember that this generic man in suit is supposed to be call-me-Dave. Why is it so bad? His Milliband, while still terrible, is at least recognisable.

Perhaps he can't do a recognisable cartoon Cameron without him coming out weird looking, (because, you know) which I guess the Express guy doesn't want to do?

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the Daily Mail row and the Michael Gove 'dunt' comment - In the week Michael Gove suggested some needed a dunt towards the workplace, the Ed Miliband/Mail row continues"

Telegraph:

UK regrets The Gambia's withdrawal from Commonwealth

Independent:

Miliband row: Daily Mail full of 'bile', says Nick Clegg

Bile: Mail:

quote:

‘Be honest with me, mother. Did you ever have a dalliance with Boris Karloff?’
Mia Farrow son paternity story 'absurd' says Woody Allen spokesman [And seriously, is he standing on the skirting board? How does this perspective work???]

Express:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Has the Queen ever lost a competition she entered?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
What, personally?

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr. Squishy posted:

Here's video of Bell at the conference. I enjoy watching him talk as much as I do his cartoons.

Wow he seems almost dejected in this one. Over the years Bell has gone from giggling corpulent man to "gently caress...welp here's a cartoon damning these assholes."

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Bob from the Times does not deserve to be paid at all. He is technically loving dross.

Bell struggles sometimes but has a signature style at least, and can come up with some beautiful stuff.

Also notice that Paul Thomas uses a lot of really obvious visual clues from issue to issue to help thick Express readers know how to think. If there are a lot of little British flags crowding the lower portion of the image then the reader knows to feel proud and support whatever is going on in the picture. He uses them a lot in scenes with Tories or Royalty (he doesn't draw much else).

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Cloud Potato posted:

Mia Farrow son paternity story 'absurd' says Woody Allen spokesman[/url] [And seriously, is he standing on the skirting board? How does this perspective work???]
drat you for cursing my eyes, I can't unsee this now!

But if you look closely, the carpet actually has an edge stripe, that's what he's stood on.

As always, can't fault Mac's art... Just the fact that he works in what is presumably quite close proximity to Paul Dacre, and yet hasn't clubbed him to death with a cast iron bar stool.

If you think that little fantasy is a little too specific to be off the cuff, that's because it isn't. Dacre is nowhere near good enough for the wall, thinking of alternatives keeps me occupied.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Oct 4, 2013

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the Daily Mail and Ralph Miliband"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Italian Senate panel recommends Berlusconi expulsion. After Mattia Preti.

ghengilhar
Mar 21, 2013

Cloud Potato posted:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the Daily Mail and Ralph Miliband"

I'm a little lost with this one. Is the mail the one asking for the apology in this picture?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

ghengilhar posted:

I'm a little lost with this one. Is the mail the one asking for the apology in this picture?

The Daily Mail have basically demanded an apology for accusations of anti-semitism.

http://www.politics.co.uk/news/2013/10/04/the-daily-mail-hits-back-people-should-apologise-to-us

ghengilhar
Mar 21, 2013

Barry Foster posted:

The Daily Mail have basically demanded an apology for accusations of anti-semitism.

http://www.politics.co.uk/news/2013/10/04/the-daily-mail-hits-back-people-should-apologise-to-us

have you seen today's Mail? (sadly my dad reads it so I need to buy it for him) One of the writers, who is Jewish, is claiming that as he works there it means they are not Anti-Semitic!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ghengilhar posted:

have you seen today's Mail? (sadly my dad reads it so I need to buy it for him) One of the writers, who is Jewish, is claiming that as he works there it means they are not Anti-Semitic!

That's like a Judas goat claiming there's no animal cruelty in slaughterhouses.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Barry Foster posted:

Never!

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

"Cameron's drive-by snatch - David Simonds on the Conservative party's plans to deprive under-25s of benefits"

Sunday Telegraph:

BBC accused of becoming Ed Miliband's mouthpiece

Independent:

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

ghengilhar posted:

Dacre really needs to hire a Jewish driver to fully exonerate himself.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

:allears: Telegraph didn't complain when it was 24/7 David Cameron Is A Nice Guy BBC News. :allears:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

BastardySkull posted:

Also notice that Paul Thomas uses a lot of really obvious visual clues from issue to issue to help thick Express readers know how to think. If there are a lot of little British flags crowding the lower portion of the image then the reader knows to feel proud and support whatever is going on in the picture. He uses them a lot in scenes with Tories or Royalty (he doesn't draw much else).

The subtle nudges are one thing, but that 'Land of Hope and Tory' one up there is loving offensive. It's the kind of thing you'd expect to see in a totalitarian state

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Cloud Potato posted:

Observer:

"Cameron's drive-by snatch - David Simonds on the Conservative party's plans to deprive under-25s of benefits"

I know it says "DUNT", but my brain really wants to see a picture of Gove holding a oval office megaphone.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

Mr. Squishy posted:

Just watched the labour and lib dem ones as well.
Bell should do a video explaining every cartoon he does :allears:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

goatface posted:

I know it says "DUNT", but my brain really wants to see a picture of Gove holding a oval office megaphone.

For a second there I thought you were talking about the license plate.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

NHS pay proposal criticised by health unions

Telegraph:

Independent:

Tory MP Adam Afriyie tries to force early EU referendum

Express:

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Is that a badgerman? I only hope that even more daily animals are added.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Cliff Racer posted:

Is that a badgerman? I only hope that even more daily animals are added.

A consummation devoutly to be wished.
Here's a cartoon by Gerald Scarfe. I get sent them every week but hold off on posting them as they're pretty bad, but I like the deathshead on the Elephant

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

Wait, what? Where's the massive banner explaining the context?

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
That's a pretty good one, Mr. Squishy. Don't be afraid of posting bad cartoons in this thread, I'm sure Thomas has Scarfe beat.

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on David Cameron's coalition reshuffle - The prime minister tried to change the public profile of his middle ranks by giving jobs to women"

Telegraph:

Labour reshuffle: Rachel Reeves promoted to shadow work and pensions secretary. After Liam Byrne.

Independent:

Mail:
"There has been a mad scramble to buy Royal Mail shares."

quote:

“No, Miss. There’s a Royal M-A-I-L sell off . Not M-A-L-E.”

Express:

Buckingham Palace hosts its first football match

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I actually chuckled at the Daily Mail one. gently caress.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Why, Liam, you say that like it's a problem.

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Don't be so bloody gay, Cambo
Can someone please explain the offside rule to Ma'am.

The guard on the pitch is going to get done for pitch invasion. 3 year ban from Buckingham Palace Ground.

Private Eye fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Oct 8, 2013

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I really like Scarfe's style - you can really feel the acid in the strokes - but holy gently caress he always had a tendancy to labels and :words:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

I really like Scarfe's style - you can really feel the acid in the strokes - but holy gently caress he always had a tendancy to labels and :words:

If you're saying I should dislike Scarfe, I have only one possible response:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jedit posted:

If you're saying I should dislike Scarfe,

Good god no, nothing of the sort; I love his work, it's I just wish he'd let the images speak for themselves more. :shobon:

I mean hell, his work on the Wall is nothing short of amazing, his Thatcher caricatures are so filled with loathing for the woman that they become sheer art, and that's not counting his stage design stuff.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the damning OECD report on basic skills - OECD finds 16-24-year-olds' literacy and numeracy in England is no better than grandparents' generation"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Mail:
"Prince William has taken part in a football match on the lawn of Buckingham Palace."

quote:

“Yes we’re sorry we missed it….Anyway that’s fixed. A rematch, next week, Buckingham Palace lawn….”

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Adams really is poo poo at the anti-Miliband stuff, isn't he? It's like he takes the most unconnected stories and shoehorns Ed Miliband in there somehow, and the result is a non-sequitur where the joke is 'pee-pee doo-doo he is a bad politician'. I mean I get he doesn't want this to reflect badly on Gove or whatever, but gently caress.

Can't wait for his great-grandson Bob to make Adams's take look like a genius of insight though

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the badger cull – Ministers confirmed marksmen have been forced to seek extensions in order to kill the minimum number of animals required"

Telegraph:

Royal Mail shares 'will be priced at top of range'

Independent:

Mail:
"A senior MI5 Chief has criticised the Guardian newspaper for publishing secret files of MI5 and GCHQ."

quote:

CHAMBERS ENGLISH DICTIONARY: “Guardian” A guard, defender or protector. One legally responsible for the care of another.

Yesterday's Express:

Express:

Glasgow 2014: Queen launches Commonwealth Games baton relay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Another hidden badger!

• Locked thread