Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?

Crustashio posted:

I'm not a race car builder, but this doesn't seem right.

It feels like a game of list them all:

harness angle to roll bar is a bit too extreme

no main hoop support

seat back supports look pretty shoddy

seat belts should be wrapped around harness bar. Probably doesn't know how to do it so used the washer and nut from the goofy seat back support

2 types of pipe welded together for each support?

that harness bar looks oddly connected to the main hoop... is it welded? looks like they used a flat flange on a pipe and welded it. Would expect that to not hold well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I don't see any plates at the bottom of the cage either, for it to be bolted or welded to the floor. Is... is the cage just being held in by the backs of the seats? :stare:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Raluek posted:

I don't see any plates at the bottom of the cage either, for it to be bolted or welded to the floor. Is... is the cage just being held in by the backs of the seats? :stare:

I don't know but the texture of the thinner piping on those rear braces looks a lot like old galvanized fence posts.

Perhaps someone that understands this better than I can can answer a question for me. It's about the bar on the hoop with the head skewers on it. What's going on with that. It looks like it has a couple of bits of flat plate welded to the ends, but the plates don't appear to be attached on to the hoop. How are they held on?

Also what's with the rear doors still being functional but having the inner handles removed and aluminium? sheet put in its place? Is it for stowing equipment? If so why is there no cargo barrier like thing to stop intrusion of things into the passenger area?

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
The cage is welded to a flat plate that sits over the vehicle floor. The seats aren't connected to this plate.

In the event of a serious accident (you know, the kind where you really need the cage), the seats will move independently of the cage.

If you spin the vehicle 180º before reversing it into something solid, the mounting plate will neatly bisect you, irrespective of the mounting hardware they use.

e: also add "no cross braces", "No gusseting", "(apparently) butt-welded joints".

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Oct 4, 2013

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Just spotted at a BMW main dealer's service area:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
The box of Audi parts?

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Crustashio posted:

I'm not a race car builder, but this doesn't seem right.

I don't know much about cages either but I'm pretty sure rule #1 is always "The main hoop must be made from one continuous bar" so yeah that wouldn't pass tech.

parid
Mar 18, 2004

nollij posted:

It feels like a game of list them all:

harness angle to roll bar is a bit too extreme

no main hoop support

seat back supports look pretty shoddy

seat belts should be wrapped around harness bar. Probably doesn't know how to do it so used the washer and nut from the goofy seat back support

2 types of pipe welded together for each support?

that harness bar looks oddly connected to the main hoop... is it welded? looks like they used a flat flange on a pipe and welded it. Would expect that to not hold well.

It might be easier to list whats right:

Vigo327
Dec 24, 2012
IF I CONTINUE TO WHINE ABOUT THE PROBATIONS I RECEIVE, REPORT THIS POST SO THAT I CAN BE PROBATED AGAIN
As far as i can tell that's a pretty typical half-rear end roll bar/harness installation. There are ways it is not great but nothing that makes it abnormal. It's safer than it would be without a roll bar, certainly!

That brace for the seatback is not likely to interface with your brain matrix style unless you hit something backwards at 90, and even then it would probably be a coincidental cause of death, not the only one.

But i agree with the general sentiment of the crappiness of that setup. It looks like someone did it mostly because they wanted to feel racy rather than actually pass tech for any kind of class racing.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Vigo327 posted:

As far as i can tell that's a pretty typical half-rear end roll bar/harness installation. There are ways it is not great but nothing that makes it abnormal. It's safer than it would be without a roll bar, certainly!

Actually an improperly designed and/or built cage makes a car even less safe in an accident, since you have added a bunch of steel tubes into your passenger compartment that will become a twisted pretzel of death around you when it inevitably fails.

cormorant
Nov 3, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
There is a new "stupidest loving thing I've ever seen in my life." It's this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rksI2esIddw

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

cormorant posted:

There is a new "stupidest loving thing I've ever seen in my life." It's this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rksI2esIddw

No, the stupidest thing will be when someone replaces the bass with a dildo and hangs a set of trucknuts under it. :dong:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
That actually sounds objectively less stupid than Billy the bass flopping on the back of your trailer hitch

cormorant
Nov 3, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, it would be funny then.

simple
Apr 11, 2007
Day #2 of parking hard.

Not shown, laptop sitting on passenger seat.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
This is terrible car poo poo because my car now sounds like warmed over pig poo poo and is dog slow at low rpms... Silencer crammed into my fartcan and a resonator booger welded where there was once glorious JASMA 4" straight pipe.

quote:

Hey drukqs,

Milo did not bark last night, and he did not bark this morning (usually between 9:30 and 10 am).

I am so impressed with your problem-solving skills. I told <Male Canadian Neighbor> that you kept me informed of progress and what to expect and when to expect it. I feel that through this experience we've gotten to know each other better, too. That is a lasting gift of Milo's exquisite hearing.

We'll be seeing you, drukqs! Take care,
<Female Canadian Neighbor> & Milo

BTW I leave for work at 11:45 not 9:30-10...

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

drukqs posted:

This is terrible car poo poo because my car now sounds like warmed over pig poo poo and is dog slow at low rpms... Silencer crammed into my fartcan and a resonator booger welded where there was once glorious JASMA 4" straight pipe.

BTW I leave for work at 11:45 not 9:30-10...

Clearly you need to make a system to switch over from the neighbor-friendly exhaust to the fartcan, maybe a series of cables and a lever right next to the parking brake lever. Ideally it should also turn on your blue underglow and engage the Walmart subwoofer in the trunk, but that's optional.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

drukqs posted:

Why comply with whiney neighbor's requests anyway? Isn't annoying people like that part of the point of having a fart can to begin with?

Maybe she should train her dog not to bark so much instead of making it your problem.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

Clearly you need to make a system to switch over from the neighbor-friendly exhaust to the fartcan, maybe a series of cables and a lever right next to the parking brake lever. Ideally it should also turn on your blue underglow and engage the Walmart subwoofer in the trunk, but that's optional.

it was glorious before!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZG9GBUN3C4

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Doesnt the kakimoto literaly have no resonator whatsoever? Like the buddyclub?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro7_fYHCdFw

Although the buddyclub is literaly a straight pipe. I borrowed my friends one when my flexi needed replacing, it sounded brilliant but i felt like a massive rear end in a top hat driving with it and I had to use earplugs on a longish drive.

Youd be better off getting a Fujitsubo RM01A/Legalis R or HKS silent hi-power. All of those are more free flowing than stock, not that much louder and sound good.

You couldve also considered putting your cat back in which wouldve quietened the system up a fair bit :haw:

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

anime and cars posted:

Doesnt the kakimoto literaly have no resonator whatsoever? Like the buddyclub?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro7_fYHCdFw

Although the buddyclub is literaly a straight pipe. I borrowed my friends one when my flexi needed replacing, it sounded brilliant but i felt like a massive rear end in a top hat driving with it and I had to use earplugs on a longish drive.

Youd be better off getting a Fujitsubo RM01A/Legalis R or HKS silent hi-power. All of those are more free flowing than stock, not that much louder and sound good.

You couldve also considered putting your cat back in which wouldve quietened the system up a fair bit :haw:

the (included) 4" downpipe has what is allegedly a catalytic converter on it, up near the turbo. I had to have the resonator added on, that was my first, unsuccessful attempt at getting the neighbor's dog to STFU.

whether the cat on mine is actually intact or functional is questionable at best

Mechanic and I looked at it together and there's really not enough space to fit a HFC in there, this was actually my original plan for quieting it up.

drukqs fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 5, 2013

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

drukqs posted:

the (included) 4" downpipe has what is allegedly a catalytic converter on it, up near the turbo. I had to have the resonator added on, that was my first, unsuccessful attempt at getting the neighbor's dog to STFU.

Mechanic and I looked at it together and there's really not enough space to fit a HFC in there, this was actually my original plan for quieting it up.

whether mine is actually intact or functional is questionable at best

Wonder what one it is 4" sounds a bit big realy for a CT26/20, the berk dp is 3" The only catted downpipe I can think of is the SARD one, youd probably notice that as it sorta bulges where the cat is.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

simple posted:

Day #2 of parking hard.

Not shown, laptop sitting on passenger seat.

Bait car?

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012

drukqs posted:

whether the cat on mine is actually intact or functional is questionable at best

How about a remote control muffler?
http://www.xforce.com.au/about-varex-remote-control-sports-muffler.php

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

I think that would be awesome. I could put it in my Chrysler Cirrus, and when I came up to an intersection, I could put my muffler in Race Mode, shift into neutral, rev the engine a few times to get some attention, and then put it back into Street Mode before taking off.

:devil:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I finally found it, guys. The mothershiplode.

I've seen this guy driving around for years, finally caught the car unattended tonight so I snapped a quick shot. Later as I was loading groceries the driver came out, before he got in he was doing a very meticulous walkaround, pausing to ever-so-gently brush dust particles off the hull, and his hair was wild as gently caress; it's possible he may have a legitimate mental illness.

Actually just noticed the custom plate, can't quite make out what it says. I was walking and trying not to look sketchy, and my phone lens was dirty from working, so excuse the poor image quality. I think it gets the message across.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

What is the jet turbine made out of? I think I dig the X2000.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

drukqs posted:

Cat > dog. Seems pretty simple :colbert:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

JP Money posted:

The box of Audi parts?
Oh yes.

drukqs posted:

I must have missed the engineering lectures about how gas flow theory relates to placating neighbours and their pets.

Just run what works best, if their dog barks that's their problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKGszY_V_c8

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
I work at a Kia dealership and we just got in our first truck of 2014 Optimas. Now I drink the company kool aid pretty hard and I really do think the Optima's and especially the turbo ones are pretty awesome midsized sedans, but god drat it Kia

:catstare:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

kill me now posted:

~**Turbo**~

Those little chrome fender badges like that don't look good on anything I've see lately, why does it seem like that's the latest trend by everyone?

This is the worst offender because these Infinity QX monstrosities are the most hideous vehicle on the road these days.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 5, 2013

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

That's :krad:

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

kill me now posted:

I work at a Kia dealership and we just got in our first truck of 2014 Optimas. Now I drink the company kool aid pretty hard and I really do think the Optima's and especially the turbo ones are pretty awesome midsized sedans, but god drat it Kia

:catstare:

Reminds me of

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/teenage-kicks-part-1

Skip to 4:10.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

KakerMix posted:

Those little chrome fender badges like that don't look good on anything I've see lately, why does it seem like that's the latest trend by everyone?

This is the worst offender because these Infinity QX monstrosities are the most hideous vehicle on the road these days.

These are terrible bit still nowhere as bad as a Juke.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

BraveUlysses posted:

This is blatantly honk. The Juke looks awful in still photos, but in person they're completely different and look pretty sharp. Every Infiniti looks like yhey've gone out of their way to make an unattractive vehicle.

yyyyyy
Jan 13, 2013

by T. Finninho

KakerMix posted:

The first thing I think of when I look at this is a filled out Chevy HHR and that is a Very Bad Thing

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

yyyyyy posted:

The first thing I think of when I look at this is a filled out Chevy HHR and that is a Very Bad Thing

My mom just bought an HHR. I cannot even explain how lousy that car is. It does absolutely nothing well. It excels in absolutely no way, shape, or form.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

The Juke is a lot smaller than it appears in photos and I actually think it's a pretty neat looking car. Do they offer the turbo four banger with a stick? I'd drive that. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Polymerized Cum posted:

My mom just bought an HHR. I cannot even explain how lousy that car is. It does absolutely nothing well. It excels in absolutely no way, shape, or form.

The HHR was designed by the same man as the PT Cruiser. Take that as you will.