Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

WickedHate posted:

Woah, a work of fiction where unnamed characters die. Truly Major Tom is an innovator.
No man, named characters too. That's some serious poo poo. Didn't you see that episode of Game of Thrones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Do you know how much trouble you have to go through to kill off named characters? You need to name them! And you need to do it before they die, otherwise people will think you're up to something. It's totally gruelling work.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

I got to the second point when I had to stop and point something out:

quote:

If it weren't for them, however, her life would be extremely and utterly dull, since she only thing she really does in her spare time is her chores. So basically, a typical female human Tsundere protagonist.

You ever notice how tropers tend to call women "females" but they call men "guys" or "men" or "dudes" or whatever? Also, that this troper in particular had to classify this Akemi Segawa character as a "human"?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Maple Leaf posted:

You ever notice how tropers tend to call women "females" but they call men "guys" or "men" or "dudes" or whatever? Also, that this troper in particular had to classify this Akemi Segawa character as a "human"?

Funny, I was just about to post something from a Troper work called "The Reason Why" in which apparently everyone's a "girl" instead of, God forbid, a "woman":

quote:

A story about three girls:

A schoolgirl who stalks the city streets, trying to destroy a deadly evil whilst hiding under a lilac cover...
Her daughter, who lies awake at night pondering her fate as she sees a bizarre shadow following her everywhere...
And a child-girl, the daughter of two people who were never supposed to meet, who witnesses all the carnage with a strangely-calm disposition...

1) Seriously, a character old enough to have a daughter is called a "schoolgirl?" (Especially weirdly, she's described on the character page as an "old woman," so who the hell knows.)
2) "Child-girl" may be the most ham-handed way of describing a female child that I've ever seen. Then again, I guess when a woman old enough to have an adolescent daughter is a "schoolgirl," you've really boxed yourself in when it comes to describing an eight-year-old.

Then again, this may be the least of this story's problems given the following charming dialogue:

quote:

Incest Is Relative: Chrissie's all for it, but Allura knows the mere concept is wrong.
Allura: Saying "Hey, mom, nice rear end!" is not a positive compliment.
Chrissie: Aaand...what's wrong with telling you that you have a squishy butt?
Allura: The fact that it's sickening, disturbing, and otherwise morally-wrong. (sighs) But, then again, I'm talking to a girl that I can't even spank anymore if she misbehaves because she loves masochism!

Of course, the character page specifies that both of these characters are actually centuries upon centuries old, so clearly that makes that okay, right? Stay classy, Tropers!

This also appears to be a side story of a lengthy, bizarre series of fanfics, most of which involve Doctor Who/Azumanga Daioh crossovers (really?), Pokemon, and/or the author as a main character, and at least a few of which were never actually written. I'm not sure how deep this rabbit hole goes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Antivehicular posted:

2) "Child-girl" may be the most ham-handed way of describing a female child that I've ever seen.

Younglings :colbert:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I hope troper tales are fair game. Because here are some stories of the world not accepting that they're just different.

quote:

[[@/Template:Sharysa In a strange example, this troper]] has only met half of her mother's expectations: She wanted an ambitious, smart, hard-working daughter. This troper is female, and is currently a LazyGenius mixed with DeadpanSnarker who focuses more on the arts than practical things. Subsequently she tends to get nagged about a) finding a real job after a few years despite the fact that she likes working at a craft store, b) going to college and getting instructed in nursing or some other high-demand job instead of acting and music, and c) actually taking the test for her driver's license. Also that she's too young to be forgetting things so often, she shouldn't spend so much time on the computer, and she should be more social--but the first three are the main priority. The implications that her very existence is only half-satisfactory makes this troper wish she had enough money to move out.

quote:

This female editor sincerely believes that her parents love her, but they have stated that they had hoped for a calm, ambitious, obedient and hardworking daughter. Instead they got me, who goes by impulses and emotions (but still using a common sense, of course), BrilliantButLazy DeadpanSnarker, talented in writing and really stubborn with UnstoppableRage a short fuse. And if her nature wouldn't be enough, she is PerkyGoth NightmareFetishist who has strange tastes. She often gets bashed about : 1) Wasting time on daydreaming and writing or not putting those writing skills to good use but wasting them in the 'fantasy-babble' as they say. 2) Being too lazy (oh I have ambition, but I don't like to waste it in things I see uninteresting) 3) Being unsocial and withdrawn or 4) Liking the TimBurton wrong NightmareFetishist things. This troper can't recall how many times she has heard the phrase "Why can't you be like your brother? He wasn't this hard at all and! Try to be normal once in a while."

quote:

This Troper knows his parents wanted him to be like his siblings; a SharpDressedMan smart dressed, PatrioticFervor patriotic, StraightMan straight man who would go on to University, go and a find a job, find a wife of the same nationality and raise the ideal british family, what they got instead was a BlindWithoutEm short-sighted TheDandy Metrosexual SmugStraightEdge Template:Otaku with NewAgeRetroHippie tendencies who dropped out of high school the instant he could, has an DiscoDan obsession with the 80's (Despite being born in the 90's), MixedMarriage is marrying his Japanese girlfriend (Who is a real life Template:Meganekko UpToEleven taken to the EXTREME) and who is not patriotic about his country in the slightest as he has no problem in voicing his opinion that "CrapsackWorld This Country CrapsackWorld SUCKS". Needless to say, he considers himself to be the BlackSheep of his family and is probably TheUnFavourite in his parents eyes too. When his Mother finally asked him "SiblingYinYang Why can't you be more like your Brothers?", he responded with "Because I'm PrecisionFStrike fuckThisIsForEmphasisBitch ing me".

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
These people are 50% accurate in their "BrilliantButLazy" self-assessment.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

AlbieQuirky posted:

It's just another failure to see things in fiction holistically.

They see poo poo like Rudy and they get two points:

A teacher calls Rudy a dreamer. And dreamers don't achieve.

Rudy goes out and achieves.

And they miss the whole part where Rudy stops sitting around dreaming about Notre Dame when his friend is killed in the mill accident. He spends the rest of the movie running into obstacles headlong in this pursuit. That's what makes him inspiring. He sees a goal and he pursues it despite ridicule and a lack of talent.

Take all the ones that say they get crap for "writing fantasy dribble". If they were entering writing contests, getting critiques from a writing club that wasn't TVTropes, and submitting poo poo to people they would not be wasting their time even if they were writing elfbooks. But they're dreamers and romantics. Which means they don't have to try and that book/movie deal will just fall on their heads when someone reads their awesome Trope page and passes it to an exec.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Antivehicular posted:

2) "Child-girl" may be the most ham-handed way of describing a female child that I've ever seen. Then again, I guess when a woman old enough to have an adolescent daughter is a "schoolgirl," you've really boxed yourself in when it comes to describing an eight-year-old.

Odd, because "boy-child" and "girl-child" are normal enough (if somewhat uncommon) ways of describing children. "Child-girl" or "Child-boy" just sounds foolish.

The "Precision F Strike" trope gets on my nerves. "Look at me! Look at how grown up I am! I'm using... bad language! But it's a one-off thing, mind you, I'm not like those JERK JOCKS and RAPPERS!"

anti-magic
Sep 9, 2012

We've come up in the ram-raiding business, Owl.
It's all high class now.
No more baby seats.

AlbieQuirky posted:

I love how it is always coupled with "Deadpan Snarker"; it's like these guys watched Clerks and thought Randal was the wittiest motherfucker to grace the 90's and not some delusional loser pissing away his life. Actually, let's check the page for Clerks.

TV Tropes posted:

Brilliant, but Lazy: Randal. Cunning, manipulative, acid-tongued, and very obviously whip-smart, yet content with his lot in life as a store clerk (and he doesn't even take that seriously).

Ding ding ding.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

crowfeathers posted:

he responded with "Because I'm PrecisionFStrike fuckThisIsForEmphasisBitch ing me"

Even though this is probably STDH, I do like that he had to clarify gently caress with two tropes about saying gently caress although it makes it sound like he said:
'Because I'm gently caress loving me'

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Geokinesis posted:

Even though this is probably STDH, I do like that he had to clarify gently caress with two tropes about saying gently caress although it makes it sound like he said:
'Because I'm gently caress loving me'

I think he put two different links in the first and second half of the same word.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

That Mermaid Problem analysis page is gone, but the link to it still shows up on the Analysis index. Tropers seem pretty bad at erasing the evidence of their poo poo. They did the same thing with their page for the "Hooker Verse" (a fanfic about real-life lovely internet reviewers being gay prostitutes or something), deleting the page but leaving one of the alt namespace redirects alive and leaving a link to it on at least one index. You'd think they'd have enough practice burning evidence by now to know how to do it right.

But enough about what they don't have Analysis pages for anymore - let's have a look at what they do, and what happens when a troper stops sperging about power levels and decides to try their hand at actual analysis.

Analysis: Sherlock posted:

Sherlock as Speculative Fiction

Introduction

A peculiar trait of the Sherlock fandom is its seemingly limitless creativity in creating fanart or fanfiction taking place in “alternate universes”. From woodland animals to ballet dancers to hobbits and dragons, the fandom seems determined to transform Sherlock Holmes and John Watson into anything and everything other than a consulting detective and an army doctor. Why does this happen? There may, in fact, be a valid reason for this occurrence…

…And no, it’s not because the fandom has been driven insane during the long wait for Series 3.

…Well, not entirely.

Perhaps the most obvious reason for this phenomenon is that the original Sherlock Holmes canon has itself inspired so many re-interpretations, involving everything from talking animals to Lovecraftian abominations to sentient cucumbers. Sherlock itself is a derivative work that takes the basics of the original characters and places them in a different context. It is, essentially, a Crack Fic in its own right.

Well, we're off to a great start. (Crack Fic is troper-speak for where someone makes a fanfic that is intentionally bizarre and ~wacky~ and implausible and stupid; their main example involves Hitler going super-saiyan. Apparently you'd have to be on crack to move the setting forward a hundred years.)

Metafiction and Magic Realism

The concept of “metafiction” essentially boils down to any piece of fiction that makes an effort to draw attention to its nature as fiction. Sherlock contains metafictional elements in the form of the various Mythology Gags alluding to the original books and various other adaptations.

A newspaper headline describes Sherlock’s cases as “like something out of an Arthur Conan Doyle novella” (what this says about the existence of Arthur Conan Doyle in Sherlock’s universe is anyone’s guess). The hit counter on John’s blog is “always 1895”. In the blog entry for “A Study In Pink”, John receives a fortune cookie informing him that “there is nothing new under the sun. It has all been done before,” (alluding to the series’ nature as a derivative work). Sherlock’s world is so chock-full of these references that after a while, one begins to wonder whether the universe is trying to tell him that he’s a fictional character from a Victorian detective story, somehow transported to modern-day London through a Storybrooke-style situation.

Moriarty, in particular, seems to be aware of his nature of a fictional character- he talks constantly about stories and fairy tales, and refers to himself as the villain. The way he namedrops “The Final Problem” implies a familiarity with the original stories, or, at least, a sense of inevitability in knowing that both he and Sherlock have to die at the end of the “story”. Add this to the fact that he seems to be able to see some of the subtitles and captions (he seems to observe the text message he’s sending to Mycroft, and blows it away with a raspberry) and it appears that we might be dealing with a character who has significant fourth wall breaking capabilities (The fact that you can send an email to him and receive one back does not help).

There is, of course, no way that this awareness could ever be directly addressed in the show. Sherlock can never be made aware of the fact that he’s a 160-year-old literary character brought to life in the wrong century. It is to remain a collection of sly in-jokes and knowing winks from the creators, something that the observant audience member will notice, but not something really designed to be questioned or explored beyond “I see what they did there”. Moriarty is most probably, within the context of the Sherlock universe, just an insane criminal mastermind who thinks he’s the villain in a story. The fact that he’s right is just sheer coincidence. Probably.

So, how do we classify this show in terms of its relationship with the speculative and the supernatural? Enter the concept of Magic Realism. Magic Realism is an unusual, hard-to-define genre involving a relatively realistic setting containing hints that there might be supernatural forces at play. The characters generally either fail to notice these phenomena, or simply take them in their stride as a normal part of life without asking too many questions. Often, but not always, the supernatural elements are surreal enough that the audience can reasonably argue that they were imagined by the characters, or subdued enough that one could just as easily say they were never there in the first place. Perhaps Sherlock is an example of this genre?

"BBC Sherlock makes a joking nod to the original Sherlock Holmes stories, does this mean it's a metafictional magic realism masterpiece in which the characters were in-story magically transported from the 19th century to the 21st and Moriarty has super-fourth-wall-breaking-powers?"

There are also elements of superhero stories, particularly in the first episode, with all this talk about Sherlock having an “arch-nemesis”. Moriarty’s camp, hammy, card-carrying villain persona, meanwhile, is separated from Saturday morning cartoon baddies only by his terrifying competence. The Sherlock Scan, too, is subject to superhero tropes, including Power Incontinence (Sherlock can’t turn it off) as well as a sort of Kryptonite Factor (when he meets Irene Adler). John’s blog, in fact, has an entire case centered around comic books and super heroes (the comments on the post reveal the appreciative client’s intent to create a comic book based on Sherlock and John’s adventures; a fun little nod to the official manga adaptation.) note All of these allusions seem to be designed to emphasise Sherlock’s Otherness and apparent lack of humanity.

When I hear Sherlock Holmes talk about his arch-nemesis, I know the first thing that comes to my mind is Lex Luthor. And when a character that other characters refer to as having Aspergers doesn't know how to react to a nude lady, I am reminded of nothing other than myself kryptonite.

The ultimate goal of this 2300-word essay is to prove that Sherlock is Speculative Fiction, and the bulk of it is by comparing it to Doctor Who (with which it shares a writer). Many extremely compelling parallels are noted - for example, Sherlock had a tall thin henchman once, and Doctor Who once had tall thin aliens; and both shows have had manipulative villains. Plus, Doctor Who referenced Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories, and if that's not proof enough that they're pretty much the same show then I don't know what is. Eventually, after noting a handful of these deep connections, they reach their conclusion:

Perhaps it sounds as though I’m going off on a random tangent about how they got Sherlock in my Doctor Who, but, I assure you, this is leading back to my main point. Eventually.

(Oh my god shut up.)

You see, a recurring trend that seems to occur between the two shows is that Moffat and Co. will germinate the seeds of an idea in an episode of Sherlock, explore the concept to its real-world limits, and later transplant it into Doctor Who with a fantasy twist. Sherlock contains the foundations of many interesting speculative fiction concepts, and it is absolutely fascinating to watch these ideas get re-interpreted in another context. Part of what makes many of Moffat’s Who episodes so terrifying is that they have a foundation in real-life philosophical and psychological concepts, and likewise, what makes Sherlock so thrilling is that it teeters right on the edge of plausibility- it constantly threatens to jump headfirst into the speculative and the supernatural, but is always pulled back into the realm of possibility right at the last minute.

Ah, yes, we germinated the seeds of a weird thin guy in Sherlock and then transplanted them to a sci-fi setting where they could be even weirder and thinner. At any rate, the argument here seems to horribly miss the point of speculative fiction, which is to take things that exist in the real world and extrapolate them beyond what is possibly in reality. The fact that it's possible to find elements of Sherlock with exaggerated parallels in a sci-fi setting doesn't say anything at all about Sherlock because the whole point of sci-fi is being able to do that with anything. The analogy they're trying to construct here - "Doctor Who is scary because it's based on real life, therefore Sherlock must be scary because it's based on space fantasy" - does not work, and betrays a fundamental misunderstanding of pretty much everything.

Eventually, the author runs out of arguments as strong as "Sherlock makes a joke about Doyle's stories", "Sherlock is good at what he does and says he has an arch-nemesis", and "Sherlock has manipulative villains, just like Doctor Who has mind-control" to prove that Sherlock is magic realism speculative metafiction something something it's really deep you guys, and decides to wrap it up:

Looking at the fan output alone, one could quite easily be forgiven for assuming it was, for example, a dark romantic comedy, a delightful series of children’s picture books about a clever little otter, or hardcore pornography note (this author has thankfully yet to confirm the existence of fanwork that incorporates all three of these elements, but is willing to bet that it does or will exist somewhere in the depths of the Internet).

Well now I'm convinced.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well it's good to know that Fast Eddie is still sweating profusely and panicking as he reads this thread. Delete loving everything indeed.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

quote:

There are also elements of superhero stories, particularly in the first episode, with all this talk about Sherlock having an “arch-nemesis”. Moriarty’s camp, hammy, card-carrying villain persona, meanwhile, is separated from Saturday morning cartoon baddies only by his terrifying competence. The Sherlock Scan, too, is subject to superhero tropes, including Power Incontinence (Sherlock can’t turn it off) as well as a sort of Kryptonite Factor (when he meets Irene Adler). John’s blog, in fact, has an entire case centered around comic books and super heroes (the comments on the post reveal the appreciative client’s intent to create a comic book based on Sherlock and John’s adventures; a fun little nod to the official manga adaptation.) note All of these allusions seem to be designed to emphasise Sherlock’s Otherness and apparent lack of humanity.

There have been Sherlock adaptations in comic books/strips since the 50's, but you know, anime.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

So when is sherlock going to fight slenderman while also being a timelord and possibly haruhi?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Namtab posted:

So when is sherlock going to fight slenderman while also being a timelord and possibly haruhi?

He already did.

WMG: Sherlock posted:

Sherlock is the 12th Doctor

This should be the the most popular and obvious WMG about this show. The entire series most likely takes place after Matt Smiths regeneration and the return of the Time Lords to our reality. Since the Doctor doesn't have to singlehandedly save the universe any more he decides to go into full retirement on earth. But after a while he gets bored and decides to become a consulting detective for the British police and secret service under the pseudonym of Sherlock Holmes.

And if one looks at the clues it's all there from Sherlock's eccentric outfit, the way he sees the forest and the trees of a mystery, the way at times he seems to channel small bits of the persona of the Tenth Doctor during his thought process, the reason Sherlock seems "bored" with nearly everything in ordinary life and the final nail is after a while of being on his own for a while more he still needs a assistant/companion thus we have Dr. Watson.

Also Sherlock's brother Mycroft might actually be the Doctor's ACTUAL brother sent to check on him by their mother, the now lord president of Gallifrey who has his own companion (the hot chick that was constantly texting.)

[...]

The Golem is The Slender Man

Just look at him!

According to other "theories" from the same page, he's also the child of M from James Bond and Dr. House (who is also his half-brother), except he's also Artemis Fowl and an Assassin's Creed assassin and a Vulcan, also Watson is Bilbo Baggins.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

The content violations thread (aka The Place for Purging Porn and Pedo-Pandering, aka Why the gently caress Does This Need to Exist?) is usually worth a look.

Discar posted:

Gonna be honest: I still have no idea what the hell to do with Flexible Survival.

Flexible Survival posted:

Please bear in mind that these ARE adult games, and roleplaying is common and encouraged in the MUD. Consider both games completely NSFW.
Black Comedy Rape: In a way, though getting raped is how you gain new powers for the most part.
Brain Bleach: Sometimes you'll want a bit if you see some of the more extreme mutations.
Death Is a Slap on the Wrist: Or a slap on the rump, when the monsters are randy.
Furry Fandom: Very rampant, given what most of the mutations turn you into.
Gag Boobs: Very easy to obtain, since most female/hermaphrodite mutants start at C and go from there. There's even a merit/perk that allows a PC to gain breasts well in excess of H. (T is the maximum, though only with one pair.)
Gender Bender: Happens a LOT.
Yeah, tough call, man.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Saint Drogo posted:

The content violations thread (aka The Place for Purging Porn and Pedo-Pandering, aka Why the gently caress Does This Need to Exist?) is usually worth a look.

Yeah, tough call, man.
So I can have T-cup breasts, but I only get one pair of them? Really? gently caress that. :smugjones:

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Man, even the tropes page seems ashamed of what it's writing about.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Keromaru5 posted:

Man, even the tropes page seems ashamed of what it's writing about.

Still better than when the tropes page clearly isn't ashamed.

Literature: Xanth posted:

Author Appeal: Many people have accused Piers Anthony of enjoying having his younger female characters end up naked more than would be considered healthy.
* Lampshaded: The Adult Conspiracy is a magical censorship spell that prevents anyone under 18 from hearing curse words, seeing panties (nudity is still fine, however), or generally figuring out anything about sexuality. Added after a reviewer complained about nudity and sexuality in Xanth.
* Two to the Fifth takes this and just runs with it — the hero gets a 12 year old girl princess chasing after him, so he tries to let her down easy. Mistake! She's a sorceress, so she artificially ages herself long enough to force him into a love spring and er, seduce him before the artificial age magic wears off. Love springs have the side effect of forcing the two people affected by it to mate, and making it guaranteed to work. This leaves him stuck in love with her, just in time for the stork to deliver their new child...
** Oh, and the Adult Conspiracy makes an appearance as well, a few hours too late — his new "wife" forgets all the details right after the age magic wears off.

[...]

Contemptible Cover: One book has the awkward title The Color of Her Panties. (This one was Lampshaded before the book even appeared in print, which is a pretty good trick to pull off).

[...]

Power Perversion Potential: Hypnosis, reality warping, scrying, shapeshifting, control over your own clothing. If you can't think of any use for those, you haven't been reading the books closely enough. Then there are talents like undressing women with your eyes or making people bare. Barring an attack by evil garments, I doubt these talents will get much legitimate use.
* Don't forget the fact that one character's canonical magic talent is "Sex Appeal".

[...]

Writer on Board: Mr. Anthony's views on sexuality (it's not bad, and it springs into our minds a lot sooner than 18 or even 16 years old) and nudity ("Some time we'll have to discuss why the sight of a naked woman as God made her should be considered to harm a child, but that's another issue") appear as a subtext in nearly every book. Even "worse" with the nonhuman characters, who, almost as a rule, have little or no nudity taboo.

It's important to put scarequotes around "worse", since objectively there's nothing wrong with filling your books with sexualized little girls :suicide:

YMMV: Xanth posted:

Guilty Pleasure: Oh god yes. The puns, the tropes used, the plots... all combined combined with the Parental Bonus makes re-reading the Xanth novels 10-20 years out of the target audience a very guilty pleasure indeed.

No we got rid of all the pedophiles honest we swear

e:

WMG: Xanth posted:

Panties DON'T knock men out

The seeming ability of panties to turn men into drooling morons is a carefully constructed facade by the men of Xanth to get women to stop wearing them. Day to day life tends to get Xanth women near-naked all the time, so why not go for the whole fun view?

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 5, 2013

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Still better than when the tropes page clearly isn't ashamed.

It's important to put scarequotes around "worse", since objectively there's nothing wrong with filling your books with sexualized little girls :suicide:

This is the thing I love most about Tropers. See, any person with even a shred of critical thinking ability would ask the question "gee, this Piers Anthony fellow sure does write a lot of contrived situations in which young girls end up naked or having sex; I wonder why that is?". Not Tropers, though - as long as there's some kind of in-story justification, no matter how tenuous, they're perfectly okay with it.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Apple Tree posted:

Think of the truly great stories, the ones that have become legendary for being the very best of the best of their genre: The Iliad, Romeo and Juliet, The Godfather, Watchmen, Planescape: Torment, the second season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, or that ending in Tsukihime.

From forever ago where I am in the thread, but oh my god I may have to stop for a while.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
After reading so many references to tsundere, I forgot why it's still called a "trope" instead of a "cliché." So, I looked to TV Tropes to tell me the difference.

:tvtropes: Home Page posted:

Tropes are devices and conventions that a writer can reasonably rely on as being present in the audience members' minds and expectations. On the whole, tropes are not clichés. The word clichéd means "stereotyped and trite." In other words, dull and uninteresting. We are not looking for dull and uninteresting entries. We are here to recognize tropes and play with them, not to make fun of them.

So, only what tropers' collective opinion finds "interesting" is a trope.

:tvtropes: Trope Page posted:

Above all, a trope is a convention. It can be a plot trick, a setup, a narrative structure, a character type, a linguistic idiom... you know it when you see it. Tropes are not inherently disruptive to a story; however, when the trope itself becomes intrusive, distracting the viewer rather than serving as shorthand, it has become a cliché.

Again, clichés are bad; tropes are good. Bad = Intrusive

:tvtropes: Cliché Storm Page posted:

You are watching something like Starship Troopers 2: Hero of the Federation and it strikes you that you have heard every single line of this somewhere else. Every trope is presented without irony or acknowledgment. All the situations and setups are clipped out of another story and pasted in as-is.

You are in a Cliché Storm. Do not worry. The pain will soon pass. A bug will soon scrag the inept Lieutenant. Security will soon come to the perimeter. The line will soon be held. It will be over, soon.

Remember, this is not always a bad thing; many a Cliché Storm is also a guilty pleasure, or even, dare we say it, exactly what the audience wants in the first place.

If there are a large number of "bad" clichés, they are lumped together as one trope. :psyduck:

:tvtropes: Troperrific Page posted:

Note that one person's Troperiffic is another person's Cliché Storm

This is the same exact thing, but follows the "Rule of Cool."

Of course, nearly all of the tropes linked in those descriptions are what people who haven't read TV Tropes would call cliché.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

I know it's been brought up before, but it really does look as though TV Tropes thinks creators actually, purposefully build their stories out of tropes, the way TV Tropes defines them, like ingredients in a recipe or Legos. Like, the Jorge Luis Borges page almost gives the impression that Borges might have actually thought, "Okay, I put the Mind Screw here and the Big Labyrinthine Building there, and maybe some Blessed With Suck would be good here."

As opposed to "Hm, based on what I know about the world and human behavior, maybe this character should be doing this in such and such situation."

It reminds me of the glaring flaw in the Left Behind books, that characters only do certain things because it's on the big post-rapture checklist. (or how there are so many phonecalls and airports, seemingly because that's what you do in thrillers!)

I mean, I have things I like and want to write about -- floating islands, shared dreams -- and I'd love to write something about a ghost train someday -- but I don't exactly keep them on my spice rack.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Also, since Piers Anthony came up, I got curious and searched for his novel Firefly, which has one of the worst pedophile apologias in mainstream literature. It doesn't seem to have its own page (purged, I guess?), but it did lead me to "Corruption by a Minor."

In it, all but two of the Anime/Manga examples have to do with sex. Firefly is included in Literature as an example of an Alternate Interpretation of Lolita. And in Real Life, it mentioned "a tragic case of Loophole Abuse" in which underage girls prostitute themselves for quick cash and let the adults go to jail, and said that the law "had yet to catch up" with them.

I almost posted it earlier, but then felt dirty. I don't know how you guys do it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Keromaru5 posted:

And in Real Life, it mentioned "a tragic case of Loophole Abuse" in which underage girls prostitute themselves for quick cash and let the adults go to jail, and said that the law "had yet to catch up" with them.

This made my stomach churn reading it. What the gently caress is up with tropers.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
There's maybe worse to be found on that site, but not by much. What the gently caress is wrong with people?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

What's wrong with these people? What's right with them?!

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Well, Piers Anthony's Firefly also turns up in "Less Disturbing in Context," and I'm honestly afraid to quote the entire description, because it's pretty frickin' disturbing out of context.

I'll just leave you with this:

quote:

...she leaves a bottle of lubricant where they can find it, which in the context of the narration sounds charming rather than creepy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So, I watched Lawrence of Arabia. Fantastic film. Let's see what TvTropes has to say about it...

Fanfic Recs posted:

Stories focused on the romantic relationships between the cast.

The Very Secret Diary of Sherif Ali ibn el Kharish by derryderrydown (crack)

Recommended by sauronlulz
Pairing: Lawrence/Ali
Summary: Exactly What It Says on the Tin. Inspired by the original Very Secret Diaries, of course. Covers Lawrence meeting Ali up to Lawrence meeting Auda.
Commentary: Short but hilarious. "Have decided that whole thing is due to appeal of man-in-uniform. Therefore, have burned Aurens' clothes."

Goddammit. :smith:

quote:

Word of Gay: David Lean on the film's homoerotic subtext: "Yes. Of course it is. Throughout. Lawrence was very, if not entirely, homosexual. We thought we were being very daring at the time: Lawrence and Omar, Lawrence and the Arab boys."

Except a lot of people wouldn't notice until they were told, which kind of takes away the "daring". After all, just from watching Lawrence and Omar could be just Heterosexual Life Partners and Lawrence and the Arab boys could be Parental Substitute.
Or unless they watch the scene where Lawrence is alone after he first puts on his white Arab clothes.
Still: "You love him!" "No, I fear him." "Then why do you weep?" "If I fear him, who love him, how must he fear himself who hates himself?" Not to mention the fact that its 1962 and this film had to be approved by the censors.

About the only thing that the drat page goes into detail about is when sperging on historical accuracy, and lawrence's alleged homosexuality. And then they talk about how "edgy" the film is because it *gasp* [i]got crap past the radar!* How the gently caress is subtext that is left ambiguous an intentional attack against censorship?

And that line from Omar Sharif, they seem to take it as proof that he loved Lawrence. Yes, in the film Sherif Ali does care deeply for Lawrence, but nothing outright claims a homosexual relationship. Sherif Ali was heartbroken that the man he had come to see as an equal and respect had been broken and succumbed to the same "barbarism" that Lawrence had denounced at the start of the film. He knew that Lawrence was changed, but he didn't want to believe it.

Why do Tropers need to break down complex things into factoids with no meaning?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Tropers are a natural extension of those dudes who have shelves of books they never read, but they're big, thick books that scholars ahve said are very important, and they want to tell you how they agree that those books are very important.

They don't actually like the media they jerk off over, they collect them because they're told they're good.

Except they don't stop at Lawrence of Arabia, they also have been told on Deviant Art that the My Little Pony/Fallout crossover is also very important, so they must collect it and nod and go 'ah yes very important'.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Keromaru5 posted:

Well, Piers Anthony's Firefly also turns up in "Less Disturbing in Context," and I'm honestly afraid to quote the entire description, because it's pretty frickin' disturbing out of context.

I've read Firefly (it was middle school, mistakes were made), so I can say with some authority that nothing in that novel is less disturbing in context. I'm honestly sort of impressed that TVT deleted the page on it -- by the logic of "delete Lolita, save Terrible Pedophilia Anime #574," it should have been been safe forever.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Annointed posted:

What's wrong with these people? What's right with them?!

They're what the Goons would have been if we didn't start making fun of each other.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Keromaru5 posted:

I'll just leave you with this:

quote:

...she leaves a bottle of lubricant where they can find it, which in the context of the narration sounds charming rather than creepy.

Well of course it's charming, they're going for a bike ride and she wants to make sure that all of her pals keep their bicycles in tip-top condition for everyone's safety :unsmigghh:

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Oi, less armchair psychology more :tvtropes:

Keromaru5 posted:

I almost posted it earlier, but then felt dirty. I don't know how you guys do it.
I'm going to go ahead and post it here because it'll probably be deleted now that we've mentioned it (goons making fun of them being a much more serious concern than actual loving pedophiles on their site) and it should really be preserved for posterity.

quote:

In more than one tragic instance of Loophole Abuse, young girls have sold their bodies to pedophiles for some quick money, fully knowing they cannot possibly be sentenced guilty by law for prostitution, while said men (and sometimes women) get charged for indecent assault or non-consentual intercourse which means a long time in prison. Suffice to say, laws have yet to catch up on this practice.

I find myself wanting to rant about all the ways in which this is hosed and wrong, but who the hell would that explanation be for? Tropers ain't gonna listen. This page has been around since 2010, for the record. And led me to...

Seikon no Qwaser posted:

Seikon no Qwaser is written by Yoshino Hiroyuki and drawn by Satou Kenetsu, the artist of the manga adaptations of Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome. It is a story about Russian Orthodox Church Militants using alchemy with power over one specific element from the periodic table each. However, the Qwaser recharge their power by drinking "Soma" from women's breasts, and the stronger the emotions of the woman being sucked, the more potent the Soma. Yes, this rule applies to female Qwaser as well.

As you might guess, this story is definitely NSFW. On the other hand, if you're looking for a borderline-hentai manga with action, a plot, some chemistry and gratuitous Russian words mixed in, then Seikon no Qwaser may suit your taste.

The anime adaptation of this work premiered in January 2010, with a second season that started in April 2011. This time Sasha goes undercover in an all girls school to find a legendary maria. He does this by - you guessed it - sucking the breasts of his fellow schoolmates.
Fetish Fuel: Breast feeding mostly, but Katja has her own special fandom. [[links to 'Lolicon']]
Freud Was Right: Q & R: a pair of masochistic little girls who beg various characters to "order" or "punish" them.
Lolicon: Hana. Katja's intro chapter makes this abundantly clear. Taken Up to Eleven in the anime, where, near the end up the fourth episode, it shows Hana very happily licking Katja "down there". Ayame was a little too happy to help Katja with the Toilet.
We got rid of the pedoshit guys I swear

Saint Drogo fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Oct 6, 2013

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Now that it's been posted here, Fast Eddie will be swift to delete it.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 26, 2014

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

TV Tropes Main Page posted:

We are not looking for dull and uninteresting entries.

Let's take a jaunt through the random article button.

Messy Hair posted:

Some characters just can't get their hair into a neat and tidy hairstyle. Others can't be bothered. Still others actually like their hair that way. All of them have Messy Hair.

Endangered Species posted:

In recent decades, the term 'Endangered Species' has been popularized in many media. Endangered Species have become a major international cultural phenomena, with creatures such as the Giant Panda becoming global celebrities. While the term 'Endangered Species' probably entered common usage with the passage of The Endangered Species Act in 1973, the concept is far older. In 1948, the International Union for Conservation of Nature began formally classifying certain species as 'endangered', and the beginnings of wildlife conservation date as far back as late ancient times.
Yes, they did link to the very same page in the trope description.

Ring Menu posted:

A Ring Menu (also known as a Pie Menu) is an interface element where a list of possible actions are displayed in a ring or circle, often centered around a character.

Sword Pointing posted:

A character points a sword forward, either to challenge an enemy or command an army. Depending on how heavy the weapon is, this might be hard as hell to do in real life for any extended time period.

Recurring Location posted:

A place which is not the main hub or boss area in a series, but a minor place which appears over and over again within the same series.

Visible Sigh posted:

Relegated mainly to lighter anime, the Visible Sigh is a little white cloud that appears near and moves away from the mouth of a person sighing. It is also used to symbolize heavy breathing after exertion and some cases where the onomatopoeia "phew!" is used in English. The cloud itself is usually circular with a small "stem" that points toward the character emitting it.

Name One posted:

Alice cites a statistic of some sort. Bob, however, believes this is untrue and asks Alice to give one example of this statistic. And Alice gives an example.
This is more of a trope than, say, 'messy hair', but the trope page itself is just a list of conversations.

Brown Eyes posted:

Brown eyes are a sign of a trustworthy and stable character. A character who's "down-to-earth". It can even mean that they have earth-based powers. Its very rare in both Eastern and Western animation, and even film, for a Caucasian of either gender to have brown eyes. This is due to their apparent plainness and association with the generic, as most fiction is focused around characters with special traits. However, brown eyes can be used to emphasize a character's charming or seductive nature.
(This page is locked from editing. :iiam:)

Bonus material: Apologetics for Black Dude Dies First!

quote:

In the past this perception was because there were few black leads in big-budget films outside of those that focused specifically on race or used it to make a point. Historically moviemakers were generally writing to white audiences, so it was natural (at least in their opinion) for whites to get more screen time. And if the writers throw in a Token Minority to give the cast more believable racial balance, who do you think is going to die first, them or the folks who have a bigger role in the script?

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Djeser posted:

messy hair is a trope

Oh man, that's me! That's who I am in the mornings! It's a motif in my life! I finally have a troper tale of my own!

Other morning motifs: Coffee. I wonder what Tropers have to say about coffee?

Uncoffee posted:

Every single Speculative Fiction setting comes with a hot, mildly stimulant beverage that can take the place of coffee, and more often than not has a name that sounds very much like "coffee". Apparently coffee itself is too mundane to talk about; alternately, authors of Medieval European Fantasy may want to avoid it because it wasn't common in Europe until the 17th century.
Compare Call a Rabbit a "Smeerp", the supertrope for things other than coffee.
Oh. Okay. So they already have a page for sci-fi writers calling mundane poo poo ridiculous names. But coffee's important enough to get its own trope page, I guess?

quote:

In the Judge Dredd universe they drink Synthi-Caff
Yeah, sure. Okay!

quote:

The Borijans—the six-limbed birdlike aliens responsible for the mechanical biosphere on Titan—on the other hand drink (or rather drank, as their planet was destroyed half a million years ago) graff, made from a kind of dried seaweed. Justified in that they're six-limbed birdlike aliens from a planet that was destroyed half a million years ago.
Maybe? I don't know why it needs to be "justified", but okay. I guess it's not about being coffee but about being a culturally significant drink, then? Does that make tea "uncoffee" or is coffee "untea"?

quote:

In Dune they drink coffee flavored with melange, which makes perfect sense for Space Arabs.note Granted, this isn't entirely by choice, since melange is everywhere on Arrakis anyway, to the point that everyone on Arrakis is addicted to it.
No wait that's about putting legitimately new poo poo into your coffee. So it's about seasoning?

quote:

A piece of Warhammer 40k fluff had the Imperial Guard drinking "Recycled caffeine" at an outpost before they were massacred by the Tyranids
So it's about... drinking coffee, but it's kind of gross?

quote:

In Fairest by Gail Carson Levine, the citizens of Ayortha enjoy a hot molasses beverage called ostumo.
Oh, okay, it's about drinking sugar.

quote:

Frederick The Great liked coffee boiled in champagne.
???????

quote:

In Horatio Hornblower, the Navy typically uses burnt bread (with lots of sugar to mask the taste) once the actual coffee runs out.
So calling it coffee is a trope too? Hot drat! Put that one up on the "tropes in my rl" board! Finally something that makes sense on this page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

TGLT posted:

Maybe? I don't know why it needs to be "justified", but okay. I guess it's not about being coffee but about being a culturally significant drink, then? Does that make tea "uncoffee" or is coffee "untea"?

The whole "justified trope" thing is weird, their page on it says it's when the use of a given trope is actually required in the story or is the logical consequence of something else that happened in it, but for a community that's all about listing every single goddamn thing that happens in a work no matter how minor, they're oddly defensive at times about admitting works they like have a trope in them. A bit of self-awareness of the fact trope is really just a nicer way to say cliche, maybe?

• Locked thread