Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

The Natural posted:

If any Third Street Goons are on Xbox just now, let's raid some stores.

I think I'm off that meta tag now but I'll be on in a bit, like 4 minutes, GT is Grem Legend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Just did a 1 lap bike race with weapons at the airport. It was pretty hosed up. Everyone shot each other and I broke ahead of the pack and never looked back. 50 seconds and it was over.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I sure don't see where's the fast money that Rockstar claimed was to be made. It feels like a MMO grind, except with the massive amount of players. More like none at all.

Short and to the Point
Jun 3, 2000

If found please return to Durham.
It has been fairly stable on my PS3 since last night. I'm feeling cautiously optimistic.

I have a few quick questions:

1) How do I retrieve my personal car? I don't have my insurance contact in my phone anymore and when I select option to retrieve it I'm told I don't have one. I guess that means it's gone, right?

2) How do you use R stick to increase speed on a bike?

3) I understand the RPs for leveling up but what are the other points I receive after completing a mission? JPs I think?

Thanks!

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

I sure don't see where's the fast money that Rockstar claimed was to be made. It feels like a MMO grind, except with the massive amount of players. More like none at all.

The biggest-paying jobs (the heists) are currently disabled. Apparently some are really long and complex. One preview mentioned a 30-stage mission or something like that?

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

Short and to the Point posted:

It has been fairly stable on my PS3 since last night. I'm feeling cautiously optimistic.

I have a few quick questions:

1) How do I retrieve my personal car? I don't have my insurance contact in my phone anymore and when I select option to retrieve it I'm told I don't have one. I guess that means it's gone, right?

2) How do you use R stick to increase speed on a bike?

3) I understand the RPs for leveling up but what are the other points I receive after completing a mission? JPs I think?

Thanks!

Can't answer the first. But for the second are you talking about the motorbikes or the pedal bikes? Motorbikes gain speed if you lean forward with the left-stick, pedal bikes either have a jump (BMX types) or a speed boost (race types) if you hold down the right-bumper.

I'm pretty sure JPs don't actually give you anything, but it's just an easy way of showing who in the lobby has been doing a lot of non-free roam activities.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Dominic White posted:

The biggest-paying jobs (the heists) are currently disabled. Apparently some are really long and complex. One preview mentioned a 30-stage mission or something like that?
Where "big pay" is probably very relative, when I hear poo poo like 30-stage mission.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Getting boxed in from 3 sides and run off the road when you are in first place is the worst thing in the world.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

I have a feeling that JPs are going to tie in to the cut you get from Heists assuming you have to do a load of setup missions in advance. I could however be completely wrong in that but I can't think of any reason why you'd include them otherwise.

Also to be fair money doesn't seem that hard to come across considering I've only spent maybe 7 or 8 hours max on the game and have $80k with no real effort. I seem to be suffering from the same ADHD I had in the single player where I think to myself must grind some missions and end up inevitably spending most of the time flying helicopters.

Zip! fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 4, 2013

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
any goons streaming this? Would like to watch goon shenanigans instead of randoms on twitch

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

I haven't played enough to have a full opinion yet, but it definitely feels like it's balanced towards making people buy money. As it stands at the moment, it just doesn't seem like it's fun enough to make me spend the amount of time it's going to take to make enough money to buy decent weapons, cars and houses.

Short and to the Point
Jun 3, 2000

If found please return to Durham.
Very helpful, thank you Aishan

I'm really excited about the possibilities of this once it stabilizes entirely. I'm only level 7 and the gradually unlocked events are already very rewarding/fun. I just hope it doesn't turn into too big of a cash grind.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Meth'd Out is easily the easiest cash and RP that you can do once you reach 7 or so. 5,000 cash and 800 RP for killing maybe 12 guys and driving an RV a mile. If you go offroad the guys on motorbikes don't spawn.

In fact the most lethal moment in that mission is if you try to kill the guys inside the supermarket. They both carry shotguns but they'll come out if you kill everybody else.

Intrepid00
Nov 10, 2003

I'm tired of the PM’s asking if I actually poisoned kittens, instead look at these boobies.

Party Plane Jones posted:

The semis are the best vehicle for getting away from cops and annoying people I've found. They usually have ram bars, are built like tanks so the axles don't die as quickly, and have a high enough speed in straightaways that getting away from cops once you ram them onto their room is pretty easy.

Fire truck. It is big, heavy, and still fast. Also it has a water hose.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

In contrast, I feel the progression is quite good. After a couple hours of random play, races and missions I have 10 grand in the bank, my insured starting car + an insured Sanchez, UZI with extended mag, full ammo and a few clothes.

For having played just once, that's not bad. Another couple of days and I'll be able to afford a garage or even an apartment. If I really want to buy a piece of clothing or some gun upgrade, I just do a bunch of activities until I can get it; it takes just 2-3 missions/races/whatever at this stage. Maybe at higher ranks stuff will cost more, but I guess missions will also pay more.

Clearly if you want to go on a shopping spree, roll in different supercars, having the best apartment and so on, it'll take a while. It's good for me because I plan to enjoy this for a long time and I'm not afraid to "grind" a bit (especially since I find the activities fun), but if you don't have that kind of patience, you can just use real money.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Junkenstein posted:

I haven't played enough to have a full opinion yet, but it definitely feels like it's balanced towards making people buy money. As it stands at the moment, it just doesn't seem like it's fun enough to make me spend the amount of time it's going to take to make enough money to buy decent weapons, cars and houses.

Apparently things as simple as purple paint are upwards of $10,000 at LSC, so even though houses are quite reasonably priced for what they are, the finer details of the online modes are incredibly high. Death penalties being high as well as the fact they've made a huge point of being able to rob people of their share of a missions earnings means your income is going to be insecure pretty often and while there are several missions with a very nice cash yield, and the fact you can sell SUV's for around 9000 a day, it makes it feel as though buying money will be the only way to have enough to do what you want comfortably until the heists come out. I highly doubt you're going to get more than 100k a Heist and there will almost definitely be limits on how many of those you can do in a real life day, considering they won't even let you sell 2 cars in one hour.

Ravenicus
Jun 30, 2013
The cost of one death in even freeroam is absolutely insane. You can die once, and it costs more than 2 of some missions, 3 or 4 of others.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Brasseye posted:

In case anyone was wondering, at level 15 you unlock hand grenades and survival missions. They are both fantastic and being one of the first players to have grenades makes for some good times when people trying to engage you park their car and take cover behind it, and you can just cook & toss a grenade at them from cover. The only drawback is the grenades are $200 a pop and I tend to go through them quickly.

Don't you get charged for destroying their car?

Played a ton of hours with Ghettobrook(forgot forum tag) last night. We ran enough rigged motorcycle races together to unlock the Turbo upgrade, did a ton of Meth'd Out and generally just had a good time. So much funny stuff happened and I think I learned a bit more about how sessions work.

Notes for tehsid and the OP(add as you see relevant):
First of all it looks like "Closed Crew Session" is closed to crew members, which seems stupid. We hung out in one I created for a long rear end time and the game seemed to be placing us back in there after missions/races but no other Goon Street members ever joined. I don't think it's possible to invite crew members to a session unless they're on your friends list so I'm not sure what the point is. It must be bugged or the tooltip is not clear enough. Once we partied up, it would drop us back to the same session most of the time but it's not clear if it's the same one I started in. At one point I had 600 JP in the session, so I know it was kicking me back to the same one at least most of the time.

If you want to grind up vehicle unlocks, make alright money doing it and go through it real fast, then just do "Old Downtown" races with two people in the race. One person bets $2500 and the other bets $100 and you alternate who wins and who bets the high amount. You basically get an extra $900 every other race. The races are like 40 seconds long on motorcycles.

If you want to hangout with goons on missions/jobs/races and get invites, without public invite spam, create a Closed Crew Session and just rob stores or whatever. You still get invites from crew members. It really sucks that you can't create these types of sessions from within GTA:O, you have to do it from the single player Online menu in the pause screen. When you exit a mission, you might go back to that session(I seemed to the first half of the evening, then it sent me to public stuff) or it might not. Quitting out of online and going back to single and then starting a new one is so slow.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011
I thought death costs were capped at $2000? Provided you had all your money in the bank, of course.

numbs
Jul 20, 2013

by XyloJW

Junkenstein posted:

Think of how Call of Duty works. They have a prestige system that keeps players on for a VERY long time. If someone sets a goal to buy a nice car, or house, or gun, they need to do something to earn it and set a goal. Rockstar doesn't want us to make quick money, because then we would get bored.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

numbs posted:

Rockstar doesn't want us to make quick money, because then we would get bored.

You can buy $1.25 million in a week or two from Rockstar. The game is absolutely set up to drain money so you get desparate enough to buy it instead.

numbs
Jul 20, 2013

by XyloJW

Obsurveyor posted:

You can buy $1.25 million in a week or two from Rockstar. The game is absolutely set up to drain money so you get desparate enough to buy it instead.

What are the prices and deals?

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Where do you buy bike helmets?

numbs
Jul 20, 2013

by XyloJW

Tokubetsu posted:

I think your guy just puts one on after a certain amount of time on a bike.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

numbs posted:

I think someone said £6 for 500k, really nice deal. Takes you many hours to get that amount of cash in the game and if you have a job you probably make that amount in an hour.

Great White Shark - $20/£13.49 = 1,200,000 GTA$
Bull Shark - $10/£6.99 = $500,000 GTA$
Tiger Shark - $5/£3.49 = 200,000 GTA$
Red Shark - $3/£1.99 = 100,000 GTA$

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

numbs posted:

GTA Online - Launching Thread...

Ravenicus
Jun 30, 2013

Tokubetsu posted:

Mask shop. Or in Binco's, I've seen them there.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
I was having a lot of fun in this game. Then I leveled up...and it got even more fun. These higher level missions are loving great. Plane heists, stealth kills, lots of The Lost beatdowns.

Trevor mission we had to steal a plane from a beach. No cover, so we used our SUV as cover slowly driving up the beach while the other guys walked slow behind it. Once the area was clear we hopped in the plane joy riding and getting ready to land when Psion goes "uhh, take a look at that text message." 'The landing area is hot, it will need to be cleared.' So we tactical parachuted to the airport, and cleared it out while Krypto circled the airport. With that done we get ready to watch him land and Psion again notices a car parked in the runway...so I run out move the thing just as the plane passes. Mission Complete.

2nd mission was an assassination mission, but instead of the GTA Car chase it went down Tupac style. Target had no idea who we were, so we slow rolled up next to the target while he was at a red light, Psion leans out with a silenced pistol and puts 1 in his head. That was nice to see it wasnt a car chase through the city.

Then when we loaded back into freeroam, Psion's car spawned like this:

numbs
Jul 20, 2013

by XyloJW

Wow... That's disappointing. I mean, I'm not against purchasing GTA$ with real money, but that is WAY too cheap for the amount of money offered, considering missions don't give you much at all.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Obsurveyor posted:

This kills that argument dead entirely. You can't argue that R* don't want you to be rich really quickly when there's a "be rich" button.

Honestly, it mostly seems like they've no real idea how to balance an online game economy. There need to be plenty of carrots on the end of the sticks to encourage spending, but there needs to be enough money generation to make getting the carrots enjoyable. If you lose more money than you earn from missions, that's not incentive to keep playing, it's incentive to buy ingame money or quit playing and I would suspect more would do the latter. Final Fantasy XIV's reboot has had the same kind of issues this launch has in many ways, the inaccessibility and poor economy being stand outs.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Also y'all are forgetting that hopefully in a few days the GTAO stock market will be available again as an alternative income stream.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Was going to make a second slot character in my main account and that character had the visuals and activities of the very first character I made for GTAO indicating that something is very broken. Still nothing on PS3 about the lost characters. No official word about it either. No way to know if it's safe to level up a character now. You're playing at your own risk in this.

Which happens to be a "things are going to break" beta on a few websites, not on official feeds or in any game review. Why couldn't they admit it was a beta that would break from the start? That would make it easier, because a beta means stats are going to get wiped. Like they should here.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Is there a way to go back to old missions?

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!
Spent 150k on a cool apartment, and the game promptly forgot about it within 15 minutes.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Holy hell. Hard freeze less than 4 minutes after i bought another luxury apartment and....it saved it! gently caress yeah!

numbs
Jul 20, 2013

by XyloJW

dvorak posted:

Spent 150k on a cool apartment, and the game promptly forgot about it within 15 minutes.

What do you mean the game forgot about it?

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

dvorak posted:

Out of interest how are you exiting when you finish playing?

I've found that the safest way to ensure I don't lose progress (guns, money etc) is to exit back to single player before powering down my console. It seems to force the game to save your progress to the cloud.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

numbs posted:

Ownership wasn't saved to the character data cloud, but money was withdrawn from whatever different server it is that keeps tabs on money.

Some people are not keeping the money put in the bank though after they lose their character(s) though.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Is there a way to go back to old missions?

Not specific missions. You can call your various contacts and request a mission, but it's random which one that they'll offer you.

numbs posted:

Presumably it removed his ownership of it. Exact thing happened to me (and a whole bunch of other dudes). Best thing to do is submit a ticket on R* Support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numbs
Jul 20, 2013

by XyloJW

MrLonghair posted:

Ownership wasn't saved to the character data cloud, but money was withdrawn from whatever different server it is that keeps tabs on money.

I'd be pissed man.

• Locked thread