Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Some tried to say it with Pikmin and W101 which I couldn't understand.

Hasn't Mario U sold close to three million copies? Doesn't it have a ridiculous attach rate? Probably the proof one needs. If the console sells five million units, Mario World 3D will probably sell 4.5 million copies.

I think your post implied that hardware sales will go up. To be honest, I think that would still be the denial stage, bargaining is more like "maybe Nintendo will do an advertising push and make a tablet-free sku and things will be okay".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Some tried to say it with Pikmin and W101 which I couldn't understand.

Hasn't Mario U sold close to three million copies? Doesn't it have a ridiculous attach rate? Probably the proof one needs. If the console sells five million units, Mario World 3D will probably sell 4.5 million copies.

As of March 31st we know there were 2.15 Million NSMBU's sold and 3.61 million Wii U's, so roughly 60% of all WIi U owners bought the game.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Astro7x posted:

As of March 31st we know there were 2.15 Million NSMBU's sold and 3.61 million Wii U's, so roughly 60% of all WIi U owners bought the game.

Ah, was off on the numbers. Still that's a crazy attach rate. World 3D and Mario Kart 8 are gonna have similar attach rates I bet. If people don't believe that the Wii U will sell more consoles because of those two games I don't know what to say. I'm not even saying it'll make it sell 20 million consoles, just bump to at least five. It's less crazy than the many who thought Blue Dragon and Panzer Dragoon Orta was gonna make the 360 popular in Japan?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Well, they could sell more systems or it could just sell to the existing install base. It's really up to Nintendo to provide the best value at the holidays if they really want to sell that many systems by the new year. The current price drop is not enough, to be honest. They need to offer better bundles than just replacing NintendoLand with a different game. There needs to be more in the box; otherwise, the price needs to come down more.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Ah, was off on the numbers. Still that's a crazy attach rate. World 3D and Mario Kart 8 are gonna have similar attach rates I bet. If people don't believe that the Wii U will sell more consoles because of those two games I don't know what to say. I'm not even saying it'll make it sell 20 million consoles, just bump to at least five. It's less crazy than the many who thought Blue Dragon and Panzer Dragoon Orta was gonna make the 360 popular in Japan?

Again, maybe I'm just out of the loop, but do people even know these games exist? I only found out about them because of this thread and they certainly don't make me want a WiiU.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
I imagine Smash Bros and Mario Kart will bump up sales a bit just like November/December will probably bump them up a bit. But at the end of the day I don't think they're going to do much to keep sales going after their respective release months. It'll probably drop right about to the 30-50k a month its been at all this year.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Crowbear posted:

grappling to giant naked dudes and stabbing them to death does not sound like my thing.

I'm very sorry.

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

I paid $10 to change some guys avatar to an Oblivion Elf with giant tits just to steal this gif

Jeffrey posted:

Again, maybe I'm just out of the loop, but do people even know these games exist? I only found out about them because of this thread and they certainly don't make me want a WiiU.

I don't think you're out of the loop. WiiU advertising has been poo poo. I didn't know WWHD came out this weekend until I went looking for a bundle. I didn't know 3D Mario was out before Christmas until I came to this thread. It's a shame because there are great games that won't be available on any other console due and it's hidden.

Everyone knows the console has some weird tablet, nobody cares, use another selling point.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
They do seem to be starting to get over this, as I noted seeing a Wind Waker HD ad the other day. Also realised they have a few promotions going on with GAME right now (mostly Pokémon), and my browser did happen to inform me of a discounted Rayman Legends.

Whether or not this'll cause it to gain some traction outside the existing fandom though, I dunno.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Xillah posted:

I don't think you're out of the loop. WiiU advertising has been poo poo. I didn't know WWHD came out this weekend until I went looking for a bundle. I didn't know 3D Mario was out before Christmas until I came to this thread.
This post needs to be nailed to the wall for everyone who claims the Nintendo Directs/gaming websites do a fine job of reaching everyone. They don't.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

You sound like an Atari executive planning how many copies of E.T. to make, you know that, right? "No dudes it's cool, this game coming up will have a 90% attach rate and that'll fix everything" is... not a wise assumption.

Also, 5 million Wii Us being sold is extremely optimistic.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

CapnAndy posted:

You sound like an Atari executive planning how many copies of E.T. to make, you know that, right? "No dudes it's cool, this game coming up will have a 90% attach rate and that'll fix everything" is... not a wise assumption.

Never said it'll fix anything but thanks?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Christmas can be a pretty big sales bump if they actually pushed the console and its games, selling 2 million+ isn't far-fetched at all.

But according to their track record I think they're gonna just start denying the WiiU's existence before more people find out how dumb and overpriced it is. I say this as a person who bought it at launch with stars in their eyes.

They need to offer some sort of amazing 3D world bundle for the holidays and really push the poo poo out of it if they ever want to get out of this hole. And I mean "bribe people with how much of a value it is" good.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 3, 2013

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Xillah posted:

My kid is asking for a wii-u for Christmas. WWHD is due out, I'm really struggling to decide whether it would be a good purchase. The kid is 7, his Wii gets battered, there's Mario-U and a new smash brothers due out next year.

I just don't know if it's going to gather dust due to a lack of games. I can see half a dozen things I could buy him but if that didn't increase to a couple dozen over the next year or two it becomes a duff purchase.

Any advice?

I think I had about 15 games for my NES as a kid. If it makes him happy and your kid isn't spoiled I'd say go for it. The Wii U is probably right for his audience level and to him these Mario games are like SMB 1 2 3 for us. However, odds are games will be far and few between.

Jeffrey posted:

Buy him an snes and super mario world. Everything old is new again when you have kids. By the time he gets the WiiU at the $125 price point he'll be all "what is this new mario u crap I want yoshi's island".

I found this hilarious but possibly a viable solution.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Astro7x posted:

Those were shipped numbers, although the global numbers are currently (as in by the end of September) probably close to that.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
I wouldn't take NSMBU's attach rate as a sign of that game's power to draw people in so much as an indicator that people who have a WiiU already were dying to play a good game for it.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Attachment rates are an interesting novelty but hardly a substitute for success when the total number of consoles sold is this small.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Boiled Water posted:

Attachment rates are an interesting novelty but hardly a substitute for success when the total number of consoles sold is this small.

At this point, attach rates regarding the Wii U are essentially the Bargaining stage of grief for the console. I'm pretty sure all Vita owners (:sigh:) are familiar with this same argument, and it hasn't changed that system's situation whatsoever.

It's even sillier to point to the Wii's attach rates as though that's an indicator of what could happen with the Wii U. Nothing from the Wii means a thing right now. At all. What matters to the Wii U are the actual numbers of units moved in terms of systems and software, NOT the percentage of Wii U owners who are buying a particular piece of software. They could sell a game to 100 percent of the user base right now, and it will not mean poo poo until that user base climbs by an appreciable amount.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I wonder if the thought that people know the WiiU exists, know it's out, and know that it is a whole new console but don't want to buy it at any price because it simply isn't compelling ever wakes anyone up in the middle of the night. I bet it occurs to Reggie when he sees his reflection in the mirror while he's washing his hands after his 2am dump.

What I'm saying is I really don't buy the whole "most people don't even know about it!" excuse people keep making for this thing.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

TheScott2K posted:

I wonder if the thought that people know the WiiU exists, know it's out, and know that it is a whole new console but don't want to buy it at any price because it simply isn't compelling ever wakes anyone up in the middle of the night. I bet it occurs to Reggie when he sees his reflection in the mirror while he's washing his hands after his 2am dump.

What I'm saying is I really don't buy the whole "most people don't even know about it!" excuse people keep making for this thing.

That could well be the case, considering that I and a lot of people in this thread know about it and still don't find it compelling enough to buy. However, I've heard enough people saying they're either ignorant of its existence or that think it's a Wii addon to say that there's a good chance that lack of awareness is a big problem.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's pretty unlikely. Generally humans don't work that way when it comes to things they recognize. It's part of why marketing existing IPs is as potent a marketing tool as it is. There are a lot of things they could do make the system sell better but it would take something incredibly staggering to make a system with a collection of strong existing IPs literally impossible to sell.

I mean don't get me wrong, Nintendo isn't the Wii U now. What they might have to do to actually make it sell might not actually be worth it to them. It's just pretty unlikely for it to be something they couldn't sell 'at any price.'

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Oct 4, 2013

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

ð’» 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®ð’ ð’¾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

TheScott2K posted:

Why not? I saw my first ever ad for a Wii U product today (Zelda) during a video game review show - Reviews on the Run (Canada). I had never heard of Nintendo Direct before I read this thread and have never seen anything Wii U related outside of video game stores in real life. And I'm someone who seeks out video game stuff.

Meanwhile I've already seen an XBOX One in person (Microsoft Store in Bellevue, WA) and see ads for "play a PS4 before it's released" contests on TV all the time.

P.S. vvv you are right, and I agree. It wasn't a good competitor for the old generation, let alone the new.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Oct 4, 2013

Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009

leidend posted:

Why not? I saw my first ever ad for a Wii U product today (Zelda) during a video game review show - Reviews on the Run (Canada). I had never heard of Nintendo Direct before I read this thread and have never seen anything Wii U related outside of video game stores in real life. And I'm someone who seeks out video game stuff.

I think the point is that even if people knew it existed it still wouldn't be selling.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
So I've kinda turned on the tablet. I've mostly been playing my games on the pro controller because the tablet just doesn't get used a ton. I haven't really dug into WW because they don't let you invert the Y-axis and...ugh and the only things that Monster Hunter does with it that I gave a poo poo about are lock-on camera and a map. W101 is the only thing I've played so far that actually does anything with it.

The problem is that there's no comfortable long-term way to hold that thing. I have small hands so I imagine this is exacerbated for people with big hands, but those little bumps on the back do loving nothing. You don't get to curl your hands around the controller comfortably, instead you're stuck in this weird position where you're sort of cupping the back of the tablet in a really awkward way.

There's a reason every controller since the N64 has used grips, it's because our hands naturally rest in a semi-curled position, so having the tablet force them into this weird not-quite-flat position sucks.

I'm also a bit annoyed at how the sticks are up above the buttons and the buttons are flipped relative to a 360 controller (I know it matches the SNES, but they've barely used that layout in nearly two decades) since I'm sort of conditioned by Xbox/360 layouts. Those are just minor grumbles, compared to the other stuff.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

leidend posted:

Meanwhile I've already seen an XBOX One in person (Microsoft Store in Bellevue, WA) and see ads for "play a PS4 before it's released" contests on TV all the time.

P.S. vvv you are right, and I agree. It wasn't a good competitor for the old generation, let alone the new.

Do they not have them in Target and WalMart where you live? There are WiiU kiosks in all of the ones near me. Nobody is ever playing with them, but they're there.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

TheScott2K posted:

Do they not have them in Target and WalMart where you live? There are WiiU kiosks in all of the ones near me. Nobody is ever playing with them, but they're there.

Those kiosks are pathetic, do they still only have the demo for Rayman on it and nothing else?

TheScott2K posted:

But... my friend who follows gaming because he buys the new Call of Duty every year didn't even hear about it until I told him about the WIi U, and then he said he wasn't going to buy that poo poo because Nintendo is for babies.

Yeah, the Wii U problems extend far beyond awareness of it being around. Once you know it's around, nobody wants one because it has this huge stigma of a failing console.

LordAndrew
Jul 13, 2009

Walking death machine equipped with the knowledge of Nuclear.

Astro7x posted:

Those kiosks are pathetic, do they still only have the demo for Rayman on it and nothing else?

The Wii U kiosk they have at the local Walmart here doesn't even have demos on it, it's just a bunch of preview videos.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Astro7x posted:

Yeah, the Wii U problems extend far beyond awareness of it being around.

You really don't need anything else in this post, because this is the ultimate truth about the Wii U: just about everything important that could be going wrong has or is. Singling one thing as though fixing it will be the magical panacea that will start the great big turn around is a bit too hopeful, and you illustrate this point yourself perfectly: with everything going wrong with the system, people are less inclined to care about the longer things stay as is. Developers and publishers certainly feel that way.

By the end of the holiday season, I feel pretty confident in saying that between both next gen systems, there will probably be more competing consoles in homes worldwide than the Wii U has sold in it's entire first year. Even if both systems slow down initially, as you have been so fond of predicting, they have third parties who are willing to put games on their hardware to help do something about the drought that all but killed the Wii U's momentum. With a larger potential audience across two platforms that are very similar in capability and design, third parties will be quicker to put their games on those systems, and the Wii U versions of games, if it gets them, will be considered downgrades.

People keep saying that the Wii U can at least reach GameCube levels of relevance in the marketplace, but forget that Nintendo managed to scrape together some really impressive third party support for the Cube (especially in light of their last console being the N64). The Wii U thus far has nothing remotely close to this headed its way.

workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

:catdrugs:

LordAndrew posted:

The Wii U kiosk they have at the local Walmart here doesn't even have demos on it, it's just a bunch of preview videos.

Our local Best Buy is the same. Saw W101 in motion and thought, hey maybe that's not so bad after all, I'll give it a spin, maybe put the U on a to-be-purchased list and NOPE. I've owned every Nintendo console and practically been begging Nintendo for a reason to buy this thing since launch but I haven't seen a working/demo kiosk yet. WW would almost have me there, but I'm not confident in the system's future.

I'm kind of sad about it honestly. Once upon a time I would have been described as a Nintendo fanboy, though I never was a console warrior. Now I'm looking forward to the PS4 release and hoping Nintendo figures out a way to save this thing.

workingdogv1 fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Oct 4, 2013

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

LordAndrew posted:

This is really weird because they updated the GameStop ones a while ago to have several demos on them. I can kind of sort of understand having different demos for different stores but no demos at all is crazy.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
At my Target, there's a Wii U console with no sound right near a Skylanders demo that plays music and is colourful and flashes lights when you go near it.

It really isn't good to be modest in the games industry when you're big enough to be in a big box.

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

I paid $10 to change some guys avatar to an Oblivion Elf with giant tits just to steal this gif
Well, I made the plunge. I got the WW premium pack with Mario-U and Nintendoland for Ł295.

No to resist completing WW before Christmas morning.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

workingdogv1 posted:

I've owned every Nintendo console and practically been begging Nintendo for a reason to buy this thing since launch

When the Wii U was announced I was all about it. I thought it looked amazing and would be the center piece of my entertainment system. I knew I could not afford it at launch, but was saving to do so.

My brother meanwhile was able to get one at launch and he brought it over to my house so I could try it out. I found the whole tablet to be annoying to use. I saw no real benefit from it and my enthusiasm immediately died.

Fast forward to now and I am in the same boat as you. Give me a reason to buy it Nintendo. Make a killer IP that utilizes the tablet in a way that makes me want it again.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Fast forward to now and I am in the same boat as you. Give me a reason to buy it Nintendo. Make a killer IP that utilizes the tablet in a way that makes me want it again.

See I also would need a reason to buy it, but I want them to release many killer IPs that don't use the tablet at all, and then I want them to stop making the tablet. I think it was a bad idea and they are wasting money continuing to manufacture them.

Cheesegod
Aug 15, 2001

Offensive Clock

LordAndrew posted:

I've tried to find a demo unit with actual demos since the drat thing came out and haven't been able to find one. I even went to the Nintendo World store in NYC and they had them roped off with a security guard standing there.

That being said, I went and bought one yesterday because of the price drop and Wind Waker bundle. I can see the possibilities of the game pad, but most of the time it's just confusing and annoying. I really don't see why when playing a virtual console game it has to mirror what's going on on the TV. Is there a way to shut the screen off while you're playing?

Also a lot of the menus are slooowwwwww.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The E3 Best Buy events were huge... why not just leave that disc in the Wii U the whole time? Is there anything wrong with promoting Wind Waker, Mario Kart, 3D World and DK:TF? I'd love to go back and play the other 3 demos, and there could be some good word of mouth to go to Best Buy and try those games. But nope... here are some videos and a demo for Rayman Legends.

I remember when Kinect and Playstation Move came out there were lines to try it in the store for a long time. If they even just put the full Nintendo Land game playable in store that would help and be zero effort.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

TheScott2K posted:

The majority of people don't know it exists. I have a feeling a lot of people here think the entire planet is as informed as the Something Awful forums. Kind of like the guy who says above me "even if people did know it existed, the stigma of a dying comsole will keep them from buying it. " like some kids mother sees a commercial on tv for a new Nintendo system with a pretty new Mario game and says "Here is a Nintendo for my child but I hear it is a dying console from my time on video game message boards and from reading NPD sales stats so nevermind."

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Astro7x posted:

The E3 Best Buy events were huge... why not just leave that disc in the Wii U the whole time? Is there anything wrong with promoting Wind Waker, Mario Kart, 3D World and DK:TF? I'd love to go back and play the other 3 demos, and there could be some good word of mouth to go to Best Buy and try those games. But nope... here are some videos and a demo for Rayman Legends.

I remember when Kinect and Playstation Move came out there were lines to try it in the store for a long time. If they even just put the full Nintendo Land game playable in store that would help and be zero effort.

Yeah one of their issues is that they have the WiiUs just sitting around playing videos, you don't actually get to TRY the loving thing. I don't understand why they don't have a Mario World+Wind Waker+Rayman demo up on all the WiiUs.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Bobnumerotres posted:

Yeah one of their issues is that they have the WiiUs just sitting around playing videos, you don't actually get to TRY the loving thing. I don't understand why they don't have a Mario World+Wind Waker+Rayman demo up on all the WiiUs.

Back in the day, they had Mario Kart demos in regular-rear end stores. And I also recall playing a Donkey Kong 64 demo in the mall as well, and later bought that game. And they demoed Wii games CONSTANTLY last-gen (although I rarely saw anyone using the thing but that might be because it was in a lovely corner where I shop now)

So it's not like Nintendo doesn't know that demos work. What in the world are they even DOING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Jeffrey posted:

See I also would need a reason to buy it, but I want them to release many killer IPs that don't use the tablet at all, and then I want them to stop making the tablet. I think it was a bad idea and they are wasting money continuing to manufacture them.

I loving love the Gamepad. It's comfortable, it's versatile, it's a great TV remote, it's the best way to use YouTube and it's really comfortable in my hands.

That all said, they should have stuck with Wii Motion Plus/Wii U Pro and released a console cheaper than the current (2012) cost of a PS3 or 360. Then just figure out a way to use a 3DS as a tablet because unlike PS4/Vita, most people who own a Nintendo console will actually own a Nintendo handheld.

• Locked thread