Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Aurain posted:

Yeah, the other patch was out on 360 the day after it was announced before the PS3 one was, what leads you to believe that this time it's going to be several days just because it's been 3 or 4 hours after the PS3 one?

Because it was the long planned patch that activated GTA Online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Obsurveyor posted:

Calling all Goon Street for Meth'd Up!

I did this mission and some Goon Street runs of Violent Duct and I have to say, it was eye opening. My online life has never been better!

Anyone got any tips on getting up your strength fast? I'm trying to become LPGA level and right now I can drive a good deal just not far enough that I'm happy with my swing. Additionally I'm upset that I don't get my golf club Online since that is the basis of my elitist crew's signature sport, Fers de Hockeyeur, and without the club the whole thing just feels hollow.

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

Aurain posted:

But fun is an entirely subjective principle and if being able to buy the car, house and clothing you want is your definition of fun in GTAO, the economy being flawed is counter-productive to that. In no way should a game encourage you to spend more of your money, it can be an option to players who would like it. There's no way to opt out of that economy and if dying costs more than you make from regular gameplay, that's a problem. You can't assume grinding is normal behaviour, and a player shouldn't have to feel as though they have to to achieve their goal. Considering people have said that after being corpse camped, they've managed to destroy the car of the person camping them and then be hit with the bill for that too, it's an issue.

tl;dr: What's fun for you and fun for another is different, so saying GTA Online is about fun, not spending money isn't really valid as reasoning for anything.
I think I misrepresented myself on some of that. I, personally, am just playing freeroam and missions as normal. I'm not grinding. I'm making some cash, upgrading things, etc. I'm not obsessing over a $400k virtual apartment because even in the singleplayer game I had to wait quite a while for the real money to start rolling in. I feel like I'm progressing and having fun and will eventually have the cash to "earn" my apartment. Without grinding I can afford things as they unlock without trying.

I was more or less speaking to those that are mad about people being able to buy millions of cash while they "had to" grind a level 15 mission over and over again to get their 400k apartment RIGHT NOW (and then lose it to a cloud save bug).

So right, I understand "fun for one, not for another" - I was speaking to the people that feel cheated. You get PLENTY of income from just playing. The game doesn't make you log out when you run out of cash.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

MrLonghair posted:

Because it was the long planned patch that activated GTA Online.

It had fixes for SP bugs that came to light after release, meaning it's not like MS and Sony were sat on a file waiting to flip a switch, it was actively worked on in those two weeks.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Did they patch 360? I still can't get Online to work, I've just been chatting with Danes on Facebook and listening to Radio GAGA on Youtube.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Reo posted:

Well I tried the SVG hack and was able to make this emblem, but it wouldn't publish to our crew correctly, alas.

What's this hack? I can't seem to find any information on it.

SMP
May 5, 2009

1.02 on PS3 deleted my character :bravo:

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

theperminator posted:

What's this hack? I can't seem to find any information on it.

Warning reddit link :reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/GrandTheftAutoV/comments/1nnfph/tutorialimporting_your_own_svg_file_into/

Also, this may be a dumb question, but in the Simeon missions where you have to chase down someone driving a sports car, how the hell do you do this without having to chase them all over the map ramming them until the car is crushed into a tiny cube?

Lando Kardashian
Jul 11, 2007

pissidential

Got patched on the PS3. Connected to online without any problems. I can even join populated mission lobbies. BUT I have yet to play an actual mission as I get the "GTA Timeout return to GTA V, gently caress you" error 5 times in a row already.

Prior to the patch I was able to get into at least 1 mission per 5 attempts, what gives?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So anyway, how many of you folks still don't see other people in free roam? I'm still solo. :(

Kali11324
Dec 8, 2004

This space intentionally left blank

Zip! posted:

RE: Market Manipulation in Online the most we can do as a community is identify a stock that is bottoming out and throw our collective bank at it until it starts to recover and pubbies start getting in on the action driving the price higher and higher until it gets to a point where its too expensive and it stops growing. At that point we all pull out and identify the next stock and repeat the process ad nauseam.

I was thinking about that this morning. We should find the cheapest stock and have everyone throw money in it. If we can get the price to double we would be golden.

MoreMetalBrian
Oct 20, 2009

Well, I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!

Reo posted:

Warning reddit link :reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/GrandTheftAutoV/comments/1nnfph/tutorialimporting_your_own_svg_file_into/

Also, this may be a dumb question, but in the Simeon missions where you have to chase down someone driving a sports car, how the hell do you do this without having to chase them all over the map ramming them until the car is crushed into a tiny cube?

I had a mission like this last night. The first car was easy enough, he was following traffic patterns and would stop at red lights. So I just creeped next to him without hitting the car and shot him through the window.
The second car ended horrible as I slightly nicked his side with the car door. He drove off and there was no way I could stop him.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Reo posted:

You're supposed to have a friend riding shotgun that can kill him, you can aim and fire with RT/LT when riding along in a car. The co-driver can also set a waypoint on the map for you that he can update while you are driving.

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
I had tons of fun for a few hours last night. I ground out some cash on Violent Duct 9 levels early thanks to an invite from my crew. (Stairs Inc Represent!) Then I got into a good pubbie lobby for Top Fun, which the best mission I've played yet. Afterwards, I wrapped up the evening with some Gooncopter store robberies.

I had a goon chopper pilot at one point named "Green Cak3" who did not have a mic. Dude could fly that thing like no one's business, and deserves a shout out!

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I'd like to thank the 5 or 6 goons that I teamed up with last night on PS3. We started hunting down pubbies and ended up in Sandy Shores, started a war between us, the pubbies and the cops. Online owns, 10/10.

Also I noticed if you start missions and then back out into free roam you don't end up with the same people. I was wondering if there was a way to end up where you left off in free roam?

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Finally get my hands on jet in freeroam after following a fellow goon into the military base, only for him to turn around and shoot me down while I'm strafing pubbies :argh:

At least the apartment I bought last night saved after a paranoia-filled fest of opening & closing the start menu, buying useless clothes/weapons to pad the 'stuff I've bought' list, and quitting in and out of singleplayer

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Miles and miles of friends!

Rad Valtar posted:

I'd like to thank the 5 or 6 goons that I teamed up with last night on PS3. We started hunting down pubbies and ended up in Sandy Shores, started a war between us, the pubbies and the cops. Online owns, 10/10.

Also I noticed if you start missions and then back out into free roam you don't end up with the same people. I was wondering if there was a way to end up where you left off in free roam?

When you can vote on missions after completing one, one of the options is to vote for free roam, I think that puts you into a free roam with the guys you just did the mission with.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Kali11324 posted:

I was thinking about that this morning. We should find the cheapest stock and have everyone throw money in it. If we can get the price to double we would be golden.

From the other GTA5 thread: Reddit already tried this with massive amounts of money on Tuesday with BAWSAQ and Pisswasser. It didn't change the stock momentum at all.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Surprisingly my Pisswater stock was actually worth something today!
I still can't get past the tutorial BS race on 360. I hope they fix this poo poo today.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
If you watch Weazel News in your apartment, you can watch other players in your session being chased by the cops. :aaaaa:

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Miles and miles of friends!

Tuxedo Jack posted:

If you watch Weazel News in your apartment, you can watch other players in your session being chased by the cops. :aaaaa:

Haha, that is awesome. I really need to save up for a house.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Stiggs posted:

Haha, that is awesome. I really need to save up for a house.

Now I just watched two players jack a convenience store. This game is amazing. Weazel News is great.

"Dangerous Criminal going by the streetname MIKE20999 with the gangland outfit "SMOK SQUAD"

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You guys must be on PS3 huh?

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Dreadwroth posted:

You guys must be on PS3 huh?

360. I got in on day one and haven't had a problem since. v:geno:v

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You are a lucky dude. I still haven't gotten past the goddamn buggy tutorial race.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.
Finally got in this morning on PS3 after the 1.02 patch, my character was there from before (who was stuck before the tutorial race) and I got into the race with Lamar pretty quickly, then got to the first job (collecting the drugs) quickly after that. It took forever to get me back in to where it told me to buy clothes though, I was stuck on the "Online Tip" screen for I don't know how long. But so far I haven't seen any problems!

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Anybody else able to recover a character after this patch? My guy still isn't showing but my cash balance is

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Finished a nice golf game with some random, ended it as per usual, suddenly the game gave me a bad sport reputation like I quit it before it finished. Just make it an official beta and wipe poo poo after GTAO reaches version 1.0 and becomes playable and functional. Godfuckingdamnit.

Darkness5780
Apr 22, 2010
Anyway you can change your character's height in the character creation?

I am 6'4" in real life, and seeing my guy being smaller than Lamar hit a nerve for some reason.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Darkness5780 posted:

Anyway you can change your character's height in the character creation?

I am 6'4" in real life, and seeing my guy being smaller than Lamar hit a nerve for some reason.

It's a probably not known by Rockstar but known by us problem. Women end up taller than Lamar sometimes but no matter the build males are always tiny next to him.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I feel like I should be taking pictures of my cash and bank account because they fluctuate so drat much.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
For me, the session seems to always time out and throw me into single player whenever there's straddlers joining the activity lobby shortly before things go ahead and are still in Joining stage when things start.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

MrLonghair posted:

It's a probably not known by Rockstar but known by us problem. Women end up taller than Lamar sometimes but no matter the build males are always tiny next to him.

Someone said that you got taller as you rank up but that sounds like bullshit playground rumor stuff to me.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

For me, the session seems to always time out and throw me into single player whenever there's straddlers joining the activity lobby shortly before things go ahead and are still in Joining stage when things start.

Yeah, I think the matchmaking servers broke. Atleast you can still invite friends to your session

numbs
Jul 20, 2013

by XyloJW
We could probably use another thread for online errors! :shepface:

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Robawesome posted:

Anybody else able to recover a character after this patch? My guy still isn't showing but my cash balance is

Even though I cant get online, my online character is still there. I guess I lucked out maybe.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Obsurveyor posted:

Someone said that you got taller as you rank up but that sounds like bullshit playground rumor stuff to me.

Hahah I can already make female characters by default that remind me of a friends 6'4 girlfriend

e: Confirming valuable missions have been removed from the replay menu (PS3 latest patch), not even Meth'd Out can be repeated, just gotta get it from Gerald manually.

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

After my first character vanished I was able to finally get in, complete the race and the drug stealing mission. Then after signing out it corrupted my single player save!

numbs
Jul 20, 2013

by XyloJW
There's no way to change the height? drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numbs
Jul 20, 2013

by XyloJW
I thoroughly enjoy racing online with people. I always win. :frogsiren:

• Locked thread