Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Phuzzy posted:

AT&T sold off our entire subnet on Monday.

Apparently it was undocumented that we owned it.

So, they corrected reality to match their documentation. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

So, they corrected reality to match their documentation. :colbert:

Our architects have been doing that for months with this project. We get *URGENT OH GOD ON FIRE* weekend and evening deployments, builds and testing, and then 2 weeks later an architectural document shows up on Sharepoint that *just happens* to match the existing, out of our rear end build that's running.

2 weeks after that we get to sit down in the monthly meeting and explain, again, why the build documents and the architecture documents have this weird date created issue where the build is WAY OLDER than the document it's supposed to be based off.

Then the architects accuse us of "pre-building" documents so the dates are wrong.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
Well just got a call back from the manager of the place I interviewed at. I didn't get this job because I was a little light on paper to back up my technical skills ( his words ) but they will be expanding the department soon and the position is pretty much mine. ( again his words )

I am a little disappointed but the call back and knowing there is something down the line helps. Back shotgunning resume's out.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

blackswordca posted:

Well just got a call back from the manager of the place I interviewed at. I didn't get this job because I was a little light on paper to back up my technical skills ( his words ) but they will be expanding the department soon and the position is pretty much mine. ( again his words )

I am a little disappointed but the call back and knowing there is something down the line helps. Back shotgunning resume's out.

Wait, so you didn't get the job but the same job is also yours?

I mean, hopefully that comes through but :wtc:

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
I learned today that an ex employee from our place got fired because she said she was "a bit bored" (I'm not sure how a firing for saying something like that is even legal in England). Honesty about your workload obviously gets you a long way, I'll be sure to keep pretending to be really busy if it gets quiet...

GargleBlaster fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 3, 2013

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

ratbert90 posted:

I once had a programmer ask my boss what a byte was. :gonk:
Was he French? Because in amongst all their IT terms that have been created just to avoid pollution from that disgusting English language, they've ended up being very anal about the fact it's an "octet" because bytes aren't guaranteed to be 8 bits (who knows when you may need to work on some weird AT&T or IBM platform from the early 1960s?)

GargleBlaster posted:

(I'm not sure how a firing for saying something like that is even legal in England).
It's not. We may not have the insanely overdone worker protection of France or Germany, but neither are we America. Given how badly that could gently caress up her future career I'm surprised she's not taken your company to court.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Inspector_71 posted:

Wait, so you didn't get the job but the same job is also yours?

I mean, hopefully that comes through but :wtc:

Sounds to me like he got pipped at the post by another candidate for this one, but his is being lined up for a future position.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
And what exactly does "light on paper" mean? Do they want certs that you don't have or something?

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

stubblyhead posted:

And what exactly does "light on paper" mean? Do they want certs that you don't have or something?

Yeah. From what I gathered from the guy who I know that works there, it was the HR lady that was the most resistant. She thought my technical knowledge was a little too situational to be of use without the certs to back it up. She was afraid id be too slow out of the gate and there would be issues. But she was fine with me being a third tech when the time comes.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The HR lady should have no say in who gets hired. What the hell does she know about IT, or engineering or sales or marketing? Let the manager decide. I hate that poo poo.

Good luck working there, sounds like HR thinks they are the supreme beings.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
HR is full of useless people its like the white collar welfare job

Also if you end up working there you'll never advance if that lady has a say

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

go3 posted:

HR is full of useless people its like the white collar welfare job

Also if you take that job you'll never advance if that lady has a say

True. at the very least I have something to work on for my resume. If go hard for my MCSE: SI and DI certs it couldn't hurt me in the long run.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

blackswordca posted:

Yeah. From what I gathered from the guy who I know that works there, it was the HR lady that was the most resistant. She thought my technical knowledge was a little too situational to be of use without the certs to back it up. She was afraid id be too slow out of the gate and there would be issues. But she was fine with me being a third tech when the time comes.

I love when non-technical people start to get twitchy about your technical skills. This HR bitch probably barely knows how to turn her computer on, what makes her think she's an adequate judge of your technical ability? That said - and I'm not saying this is the case - the technical interviewer may just be a non-confrontational guy who thinks you're light on the skills, and wants to blame someone else so you don't think it's on him.

I'd send the pair of them an email, thanking them for their consideration, asking them to keep you in mind for future opportunities, and resume the résumé (get it?) spray-and-pray. You'll eventually get a hit from someone who's either impressed with you as-is, or is willing to take a chance on someone they can train.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

MJP posted:

Got my first "do the needful" in almost ten years of IT career!

"It looks like you are correct in that the array accelerator battery has failed. Please kindly hold the line and I will do the needful to set up a case for you."

I actually asked a cow orker to do the needful the other week.

I had the urge to set myself on fire once I realized what'd just come out of my mouth.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Accepted a side job for a Macbook Air hard drive removal that the user fried in the sun.

I can't open the drat thing because I need a special screwdriver. Then when I get in I need a special PATA-ZIF converter. gently caress you Apple. Thankfully the client already replaced the machine and doesn't care how long I take as long as they get the data.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
So after fighting with Server 2k3 and my TMS software I mentioned earlier, I finally stumbled into a fix. I upgraded to the latest version, was still getting denies, but I threw wireshark on the machine to see what it was getting, and actually get some useful error messages. Apparently in IIS, it now, or maybe always has, defaulted to wanting some connections to only be over SSL, and these systems are all configured for plain old HTTP. I set one system to HTTPS in the config and it worked. Then I turned off requiring SSL, still worked, and now systems can properly call each other.
I feel mildly proud of actually fixing something for a change, shame it only took all day and now I'm behind on other poo poo I need to do.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

blackswordca posted:

He asked about when I dealt with a major outage and how I handled the situation. I told him about the exchange 2007-2010 migration that blew up on us a few months ago as it was the freshest one in my mind. He asked why we didn't run the migration in a test environment and i told him that the company I work for doesn't run anything in test environments and always does updates to the live environment which is 100% true. I didn't then go into a full "lol this place sucks" mode, just answered specific questions when asked trying hard not to sound like I was bashing anyone. He also asked about a situation where I disagreed with the manager and how I handled it. So I mentioned the recent situation where we had a disagreement on remote firmware flashing a management switch.

You may be ok with that, May. It depends on how you described the "recent situation". It's a common question, come up with one where it doesn't remotely sound like talking poo poo about a past employer.

By way of example...

I interviewed at an service provder, closer to public transportation and good places for lunch than where I was then working. Which was so bad I still have some PTSD left over from years later. While I was there and chatting with the hiring manager about improvements to their procedures and systems I was already planning a powerful and well-liked local freelancer comes by. We know each other from my then current job. I get tackle-hugged by a big buxom brunette who learns I'm here interviewing and she starts gushing, just gushing praise at the hiring manager. We (not the freelancer, that woman had work to do) sit down in the manager's office for a last chat. I am maybe fifteen minutes away from an offer on the spot, if that much. He asks me what my current position is like. I answer honestly. After about 60 seconds the look on his face registers with me. I stop, pause for a moment and then say, "Thank you for your time", stand up, shake his hand and leave. Walking out was tough, since I was kicking my own rear end with both legs.

"Interesting" is the absolutely worst thing you can say about a previous employer and not be wasting everyone's time. Don't even try and speak in code further than that. Don't say one loving negative word about them to anyone at $NEWJOB until you've had your first raise, maybe two. Not even drunk. In fact, you should now be drinking less and just for pleasure, right ?

Notice how I didn't give enough information to decisively narrow down which job I was talking about, even if you had my resume in front of you ?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

skooma512 posted:

Accepted a side job for a Macbook Air hard drive removal that the user fried in the sun.

I can't open the drat thing because I need a special screwdriver. Then when I get in I need a special PATA-ZIF converter. gently caress you Apple. Thankfully the client already replaced the machine and doesn't care how long I take as long as they get the data.

Both are available on eBay for negligible money, and the client has given you no time limit? This would be something I would celebrate for the markup I would put on it, not something I would say pisses me off :confused:

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

GreenNight posted:

"Eight bits"

This is not always the case. Eight bits is an octet.

deimos fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Oct 4, 2013

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

deimos posted:

This is not always the case. Eight bits is an octet.

The vast majority of us use an x86 based system instead of a PDP-10 or other such system. Unless you're working on something half a century old, or esoteric, a byte is 8 bits.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

nitrogen posted:

So what the hell should I do with a coworker who randomly vomits buzzwords but has little to no idea what he is talking about?

I'm seriously considering just calling him out randomly, but i'm wondering if there's a nicer happier less confrontational "You're a goddamn idiot" kind of way...

Make up some, My uncle is like that and I had him going for hours on whether his computer had "LRF support".

Little Rubber Feet

ratbert90 posted:

I once had a programmer ask my boss what a byte was. :gonk:

We used to ask How many bits are in a byte? as part of programmer telephone interview. I've had some answers...

No-one has ever brought up the octet thing though, although I came close when I was interviewed and started talking about parity bits.

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like we have a neighsayer
An email came in...

"Hey Finagle, since <co-worker> is out, can you jump on this call with this angry client? We don't know what they want, or what the call is about, or what case(s?) this is about... Marketing set this up without talking to us, or the coworker. They want you to lead the call."

Heeeeeellll no. I'll be there, and I'll answer all questions I can, but I am not leading this unless you can get me
1) Case #s
2) What the call is about
3) What they need from me

Christ. And we're down to three people for the entire day. Again.
:negative:

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

ATicket posted:

Service Record #Something
Summary: everyone is being kicked out

:ohdear: Well I suppose its been a good run.

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:
I walked down to the basement to configure the switches in a brand new IDF...

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

zalmoxes posted:

Looks like your water-cooling setup has an issue. :) I live on the Gulf Coast of the US, we stopped putting hardware in basements years ago after Allison put 28 ft. of water in Houston.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dudley posted:

We used to ask How many bits are in a byte? as part of programmer telephone interview. I've had some answers...

8 for most, 7 for some.

:colbert:

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

And not, for instance "2" or "1000".

Maniaman
Mar 3, 2006
Where's that pic of the APC surge strip that had a fire extinguisher emptied on it?

Turns out those surge protectors are now being recalled because they pose a fire hazard.

http://recall.apc.com/en

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

EVIR Gibson posted:

8 for most, 7 for some.

:colbert:

What is a byte? A miserable pile of bits!

Seriously though, how on earth can you become a programmer and not know how a computer functions on a fundamental level? That's what I am getting at here.

I don't mean go program in assembly, but to have a basic understanding of how memory on a OS functions and is managed. If you don't, I am convinced your code ends up in the coding horrors thread.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Got a ticket from one of the 24 hour facilities we support, stating that they needed a new mouse and keyboard. Third shift worker apparently had a bad night, first shift came in to find this:

Needless to say, that individual is no longer employed with us.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Goldmund posted:

Got a ticket from one of the 24 hour facilities we support, stating that they needed a new mouse and keyboard. Third shift worker apparently had a bad night, first shift came in to find this:

Needless to say, that individual is no longer employed with us.

:stare:

I'd hazard to say that's a bit more than just a "bad night", jesus christ.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Freaking out on a $9 keyboard is a really sad way to get fired.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I'd have a hard time not telling that guy to GET THE gently caress OUT upon seeing that.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Pic doesn't really show it, but he also ejected the dvd tray and smashed that as well as messing up the front bezel some. All told, probably less than $75 in total damage. Hope it was worth it!

GentlemansSleepover
Apr 26, 2010

ratbert90 posted:

What is a byte? A miserable pile of bits!

Seriously though, how on earth can you become a programmer and not know how a computer functions on a fundamental level? That's what I am getting at here.

I don't mean go program in assembly, but to have a basic understanding of how memory on a OS functions and is managed. If you don't, I am convinced your code ends up in the coding horrors thread.

You're exactly right, a current coworker is one of these types, and I could fill pages in the coding horrors thread with poo poo that he's done.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

zalmoxes posted:

The water pouring out of the junction box is what does it for me. Now all we need is that picture of that half-underwater server burbling along like the Ty-D-Bowl man's motorboat.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

GentlemansSleepover posted:

You're exactly right, a current coworker is one of these types, and I could fill pages in the coding horrors thread with poo poo that he's done.

My friend that I learned most of my beginning coding skills from (I learned C from him) kept repeating to me "It's only memory." Turns out, it really is! Once I started relating things to how it belongs in memory, coding concepts became vastly more easy.

Now days I still code in pretty much just C or python. :v:

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
Multiple tickets came in.

Our web server wasn't making a connection with the UPS API.

Tracked it down to a DNS issue and sent our hosting company an email letting them know there DNS server was down.

Their reply "oh yeah we decommissioned that server this morning, we didn't think anyone was using it."

They set the server up for us six months ago :psyduck:

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

blackmanjew posted:

Multiple tickets came in.

Our web server wasn't making a connection with the UPS API.

Tracked it down to a DNS issue and sent our hosting company an email letting them know there DNS server was down.

Their reply "oh yeah we decommissioned that server this morning, we didn't think anyone was using it."

They set the server up for us six months ago :psyduck:

What does decommissioned mean in this context?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

demonachizer posted:

What does decommissioned mean in this context?

• Locked thread